Aaron Ramsdale - Top Of Our Wish List

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Blyclaret
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Re: Aaron Ramsdale - Top Of Our Wish List

Post by Blyclaret » Sun May 02, 2021 10:41 pm

What goal ????
All those goals were un stoppable

Conroy92
Been Liked: 497 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Sun May 02, 2021 11:18 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:56 am
We didn't really know if Pope was ready to step up though, he just did.
When BPF has played, he's not really been slated on here, maybe he's ready..
That's sort of my point, he could be ready, in which case we don't need to go out and buy a 10-20m keeper. We'd still need a decent sub keeper though and with other positions on the field a greater concern (right wing and centre half) Heaton on a free would put the need off for a season or two to sign the next keeper for the production line.

It's not going to be massive spending this summer, for us, but I think there will be a few incomings. If we pay 10-20m for a keeper, how much do you think will be left for a right wing and centre half? I'd say very little.

Nobody is really sure where the money is going to come from this window, personally, I think it will be through player sales.

Let's say that Tarks and Pope both leave for a combined price of around 50-60m. It is extremely unlikely that we will reinvest the same amount. Let's knock 10m off straight away for servicing loans and other bits and bobs. Down to 40-50m. How much of the 40-50m will be invested? The optimistic side of me says up to 30-40m the realistic side says maybe 20-30m We sign a keeper for 10-15m. That's 15-25m remaining and we still need a quality centre back to replace Tarks. Another 10-15m? Doesn't leave a lot for the areas that already need improvement.

We can't afford to replace 3-4 players at the same time because we don't have the finances to do so. I'm not a massive fan of stop gap players and there's an argument to be made Dyche has signed a few over his tenure here, I seem a little critical as they have not always worked (Walters, Reid, Crouch), but sometimes the timings right and this one could work for us. I would argue Pieters was signed as a bit of a stop gap but has been a major success story.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun May 02, 2021 11:43 pm

We’ve been spoilt with Pope and Heaton, everything I have seen from BPF tells me we have an above average reserve keeper for this league, a run of games and he will be better.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1392 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Mon May 03, 2021 9:40 am

Ability/competence opinions aside and I for one think BPF's shown enough promise to be given a chance, there's also a marketing angle to consider:
The club repeatedly say that their intention for the future is to sign young/promising players (like BPF/Pope) develop them as the club's reserve/understudy whilst giving them opportunities to play at PL level (like BPF/Pope) before promoting them to the regular starting eleven (like Pope) and ultimately allowing them to move on to a bigger club (possibly Pope this summer?) When trying to attract those young promising players this summer and in years to come, what would they think about Burnley's sales pitch if we were to sell Pope and then replace him with an outsider rather than BPF?

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon May 03, 2021 9:56 am

It would be crazy to splash out on Ramsdale when we have an adequate replacement in BPF if Pope leaves.

Ramsdale reminds me of Jensen he doesn't appear to be able to read the game, not a natural footballer

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon May 03, 2021 9:57 am

IanMcL wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:42 am
Any of those 3 going, would lessen our team and points.
McIlroy, O'Neil, Coates, Irvine, James, Dobson, Morgan, Thomas, Docherty, Waldron, Kindon, Flynn, Laws, Steven... just more in a long line :(

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Mon May 03, 2021 10:06 am

Yep, BPF gets his chance for me. He’s working everyday with billy mercer, so every chance he’s gonna be very good indeed.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon May 03, 2021 10:36 am

Sorry guys but BFP may be adequate back-up, but no where near good enough to seamlessly replace Pope. I know Mercer has done great in developing keepers but there is something in BFP that does not inspire the same confidence for me. I appreciate he is a competent shot stopper but its that all round respect that a team has in a keeper that is key.Both Heaton and Pope commanded their areas. Over a season thats a lot of clean sheets. I still remember all the gaffs made by Jensen owing to his inability to dominate the goal area.

Heaton has it, Pope certainly still does have that quality. The difference is on a par with the gap between Mee/ Tarkowski v Long/Dunne.

If the rumour is true and Pope might be sold I am re-assured we are looking for a No 1 keeper, even though BFP might be told they have to fight for the shirt. here are some better options. I think Ramsdale under Mercer is an option. Meanwhile Foster of Watford, Sam Johnston of WBA, the Fulham keeper,or Heaton at Villa are the type of keepers we need to target

If we want to develop further in the PL, then our acquisitions needs to be "premier " too, particularly if Tarkowski also leaves

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon May 03, 2021 10:55 am

warksclaret wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:36 am
Sorry guys but BFP may be adequate back-up, but no where near good enough to seamlessly replace Pope. I know Mercer has done great in developing keepers but there is something in BFP that does not inspire the same confidence for me. I appreciate he is a competent shot stopper but its that all round respect that a team has in a keeper that is key.Both Heaton and Pope commanded their areas.
So when Pope replaced Heaton in the Crystal Palace game how on earth did you know he would be good enough, and thereafter another couple of games?

Whereas BPF has played just three matches yet he isn't good enough?

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Mon May 03, 2021 11:05 am

Where is Pope realistically going to move on to though at the minute? Arsenal is the only team I can think who might want him. All the top teams have good number 1's (and a few have decent number 2's as well). He's not going to go and sit on a bench is he and play second fiddle to the likes of Alison, Lloris or Mendy?

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon May 03, 2021 11:06 am

Anyone watch MOTD last night?

IMHO Ramsdale is at best equal to BPF, which given that he has 2 years PL experience as opposed to 4 games is hardly an endorsement of his ability.
And where does all this leave Norris?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6894 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon May 03, 2021 11:08 am

bf2k wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:05 am
Where is Pope realistically going to move on to though at the minute? Arsenal is the only team I can think who might want him. All the top teams have good number 1's (and a few have decent number 2's as well). He's not going to go and sit on a bench is he and play second fiddle to the likes of Alison, Lloris or Mendy?
There’s not a cat in hell’s chance that Pope will even be on Arteta’s radar considering their ‘style’ of play.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Mon May 03, 2021 11:11 am

It's hard to have an opinion about BPF and his time here for obvious reasons, especially reaching a conclusion he's not good enough. He's looked steady enough based on the bits we've seen, but it's too early to know.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon May 03, 2021 11:14 am

One thing that worries me about BPF is his lack of presence. We've got so used to Pope just claiming absolutely everything and taking the pressure off.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon May 03, 2021 11:24 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:14 am
One thing that worries me about BPF is his lack of presence. We've got so used to Pope just claiming absolutely everything and taking the pressure off.
Yes, Nick Pope sets very high standards. But I don't think that should in itself impact on what we think of whoever replaces him, they will have very big boots to fill.

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Mon May 03, 2021 11:43 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:08 am
There’s not a cat in hell’s chance that Pope will even be on Arteta’s radar considering their ‘style’ of play.
Exactly. I don’t think he will have many options above our level.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Mon May 03, 2021 11:52 am

Spijed wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:55 am
So when Pope replaced Heaton in the Crystal Palace game how on earth did you know he would be good enough, and thereafter another couple of games?

Whereas BPF has played just three matches yet he isn't good enough?
Pope made a breath taking save v Benteke within minutes of his PL debut, when he came on for Heaton, that ensured all 3 points. He went on to make a number of MAN OF THE MATCH saves in future games, and we soon knew we were on a winner.The next week after Palace he played the game of his life and we drew at Anfield. BFP has played in 3 games and in one of them v Man City he was like a rabbit in headlights. It may have been City but he is an International goal keeper and should not have been phased. We struck gold with Nick, but that does not mean BPF is going to become the same keeper. All the PL teams have at least two good goal keepers. I would go for an outstanding and experienced keeper, give both him and BFP a pre-season and both a fair chance, then pick the best from the two . IF BFP outshines the new keeper, all well and done, he retains the shirt

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Mon May 03, 2021 11:54 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Totally agree

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon May 03, 2021 11:57 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Certainly wouldn’t be getting that with Ramsdale either.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon May 03, 2021 12:03 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:57 am
Certainly wouldn’t be getting that with Ramsdale either.
TBF, not many goalkeepers outside the top few have the ability of Nick Pope.
This is why we will be able to sell hiom for decent money, which is pretty obvious really

djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by djemba-djemba » Mon May 03, 2021 12:09 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:36 am
Both Heaton and Pope commanded their areas. Over a season thats a lot of clean sheets. I still remember all the gaffs made by Jensen owing to his inability to dominate the goal area.
When you say command their areas - do you mean vocally?

I don’t recall Heaton being overly commanding in terms of coming to pick out every cross thrown into the box - quite the opposite in fact.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Mon May 03, 2021 12:14 pm

Not the best news regarding transfers this summer. Was hoping we'd improve our squad not weaken it.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Mon May 03, 2021 12:26 pm

Firthy wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:14 pm
Not the best news regarding transfers this summer. Was hoping we'd improve our squad not weaken it.
If there’s any truth in the article, the element that is decent news is that we’re looking at players that we can turn a good profit on.

We have to go some way back to the last younger player that we signed in this bracket.

I suspect that it wouldn’t be a wholesale change either. Those youngsters, if they materialise, will still be brought in alongside experienced pros to help their development.

What we don’t want to lose is the team spirit that many current and ex players mention as being the best they have experienced. That will surely remain an important part in developing any younger players that we bring in.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Mon May 03, 2021 12:29 pm

djemba-djemba wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:09 pm
When you say command their areas - do you mean vocally?

I don’t recall Heaton being overly commanding in terms of coming to pick out every cross thrown into the box - quite the opposite in fact.
Think we are splitting hairs here. Vocally I heard him every game from the JH Upper stands. Picking out every cross ??-for me he was more than good enough. That aspect never concerned me, and it did not stop him getting England caps

djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by djemba-djemba » Mon May 03, 2021 12:34 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:29 pm
Think we are splitting hairs here. Vocally I heard him every game from the JH Upper stands. Picking out every cross ??-for me he was more than good enough. That aspect never concerned me, and it did not stop him getting England caps
Don’t get me wrong, I like Heaton.

I just think the main weakness he had was not coming off his line for crosses that he should have claimed. Therefore I don’t think he commanded his box all that well in that sense.

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Mon May 03, 2021 12:42 pm

Dubravka and Darlow are both good keepers at Newcastle. I'd have either.