Summer 2021 Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jedi_master
Been Liked: 3605 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

Post by jedi_master » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:35 am

Here is an uncomfortable truth that it seems a lot on here are struggling to grasp.

Burnley are no players first choice, and the likes of Jay Rodriguez, Kieran Trippier, Ben Mee, Sean Dyche and countless other modern day hero’s would have undoubtedly chosen other clubs ahead of us if the option presented itself.

None of this has affected their effort and desire when playing/managing for us, not will it Cornet.
These 4 users liked this post: Tall Paul Andingle Juan Tanamera Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:36 am

Tall Paul wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:34 am
I don't think that's it. A certain section of posters just have to see the negative in everything we do.
You are almost certainly right, its not like we don't know the posters who have a problem with that, and they aren't interested in posting on anything vaguely football related

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:37 am

Or they have such unrealistic expectations that nothing will ever be good enough.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:37 am

Cornet is such a massive talent for our squad. I don’t understand why anyone cares who he wants to play for, if he signs on the dotted line he is a Burnley player and that’s it.

This is a Steven Defour level signing we should all be buzzing

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:52 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:26 am
There are so many saying close to this I'm starting to wonder if there is a far more sinister reason they don't want him to come
Possibly in the weird hope we sign nobody then they can continue to revel in their own personal misery

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:52 am

jedi_master wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:35 am
Here is an uncomfortable truth that it seems a lot on here are struggling to grasp.

Burnley are no players first choice, and the likes of Jay Rodriguez, Kieran Trippier, Ben Mee, Sean Dyche and countless other modern day hero’s would have undoubtedly chosen other clubs ahead of us if the option presented itself.

None of this has affected their effort and desire when playing/managing for us, not will it Cornet.

Don't be bringing a level headed response on here

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:01 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:25 am
Judging by some on here, down the pub from a bloke who knows the cousin of the window cleaner of Cornets neighbour
Fermez les fenetres!!
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Post by Pearcey » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:05 am

It’s sounds like we’re doing everything possible to get him, which is great to see. I just can’t help but think he’ll end up somewhere else. Fingers crossed!

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:09 am

FeedTheArf wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 2:05 pm
Would love to see us go for someone like Jonathan Bamba at Lille. Pace to burn, tricky winger who weighs in with goals. The type of player who gets you off your seat.
From Page 1 of this god-awful thread.

West Ham linked with him on todays BBC random transfer rumour generator thread.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:13 am

FeedTheArf wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 2:05 pm
Would love to see us go for someone like Jonathan Bamba at Lille. Pace to burn, tricky winger who weighs in with goals. The type of player who gets you off your seat.
According to some, we have players who get you up off you seat.

As you get up to leave, because you're bored and you've had enough. ;)
This user liked this post: ClaretMov

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:20 am

minnieclaret wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:01 am
Fermez les fenetres!!
That's not very nice :lol:

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6907 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:23 am

martin_p wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:10 am
Never in the field of Burnley history has so much opinion been spouted by so many about so few facts.
Obviously you are entitled to your opinion martin.

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:25 am

Apparently West Ham are after Bamba too.
These 2 users liked this post: Les Lawrence Les Lawrence

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:40 am

Pearcey wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:05 am
It’s sounds like we’re doing everything possible to get him, which is great to see. I just can’t help but think he’ll end up somewhere else. Fingers crossed!
We've got him don't worry.

LaLigaClaret
Been Liked: 191 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by LaLigaClaret » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:56 am

Maybe West Ham and Newcastle are interested in Cornet but then again West Ham are linked with virtually any player who ever gets a mention in a transfer window and Newcastle usually gets a "belated interest" in any player ever linked with any team in the bottom half of the table. However it is concerning that so many details regarding our bid for Cornet is becoming so public. At first I thought it was probably his agent trying to get him a better offer but are now of the opinion this has been done by Lyon in an attempt to get another team to pay the same amount but with more of it upfront than Burnley have negotiated. I think Burnley should put a deadline on the deal being done or threaten to walk away. We are vulnerable to another bid being made so we should insist on a quick resolution.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:01 am

We have little option other than to let the Cornet bid run its course

Yearofthefox
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Yearofthefox » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:02 am

Regarding Newcastles 'interest', Nixon thinks they'll be adding with loans and wont be signing Willock numbers again.

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:11 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:37 am
Cornet is such a massive talent for our squad. I don’t understand why anyone cares who he wants to play for, if he signs on the dotted line he is a Burnley player and that’s it.

This is a young man from Ivory Coast who arrived in France as a small child in the Moselle area of Lorraine. He started playing for Metz at the age of 7 and grew up in a Franco-German culture as, like Alsace, Lorraine borders Germany and was part of Germany for 800 years. Telefoot, the french equivalent of Match of the Day and Football Focus, interviewed him last season on whether Lyon could topple PSG and become Champions. They talked about his goals against Manchester City in the Champions League. They filmed him driving to training in his Luxembourg registered Porsche Cayenne, He talked about playing alongside some of the best players in the world and was really enthusiastic about a team mate who had his own clothing brand. He loves his bling, that can be seen in the birthday party video on youtube. 12 months ago he was on top of the world. He wanted his legacy at OL to be a league title or a champions league trophy. When his manager asked him to switch to left back he agreed because he's prepared to do anything to help his team win. He joked about having to reign in his desire to score goals and his manager having to shout at him to get back into defense instead of marauding forward trying to find the net. If you'd have told him then that there would be interest from a Premier League club he'd probably have thought it was going to be one of the big clubs and that he'd have an even better chance of silverware.

George Graham said something along the lines of "I'd rather have a hungry player who has no experience but really wants to succeed than have a big star who's been there and done it but thinks he's doing you a favour by being on the pitch".

My concern is that coming to the Premier League with the ambition to avoid relegation is a massive comedown from where he was 12 months ago. Maybe Sean can fill him full of omelette and convince him that this can be a stepping stone for him to something better but it's a massive change of mindset for him to take on board.

If he does come and he is in the right space mentally I'm sure he'll be a huge player for Burnley, I don't think he has the raw talent of Steven Defour but he doesn't have the same injury problems and he'd definitely be a massive upgrade on Aaron Lennon or Robbie Brady.
These 3 users liked this post: Guller Bull NewClaret Woonderbah

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:30 am

dibraidio wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:11 am

If he does come and he is in the right space mentally I'm sure he'll be a huge player for Burnley, I don't think he has the raw talent of Steven Defour but he doesn't have the same injury problems and he'd definitely be a massive upgrade on Aaron Lennon or Robbie Brady.
Not the raw talent but the raw athletic ability we haven’t had here.

I really hope he comes. I get your points on the potential step down, but he’ll be playing the biggest teams more often than the french league, and the premier league has a larger audience. Also I believe he has been a bit of a scapegoat at Lyon, with their fans blaming him for being an average left back for them even though he isn’t really a left back. If he came here, as soon as he does something slightly good, our fans will love him.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:44 am

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:30 am
Not the raw talent but the raw athletic ability we haven’t had here.

I really hope he comes. I get your points on the potential step down, but he’ll be playing the biggest teams more often than the french league, and the premier league has a larger audience. Also I believe he has been a bit of a scapegoat at Lyon, with their fans blaming him for being an average left back for them even though he isn’t really a left back. If he came here, as soon as he does something slightly good, our fans will love him.
On the flip side as soon as he makes a mistake this board will be full of melons claiming that he's not trying because he doesn't really want to be here.
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera tiger76

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:53 am

The club have my sympathies with these transfers. Not easy in this world of agents and social media. This talk of Newcastle being interested in Cornet - not hard to imagine his agent touting him around, has a conversation with Newcastle who say “we’ll take a look at him in the scouting reports” and agent then leaks to the press that Newcastle are interested.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:56 am

There comes a point with many negotiations when you threaten to walk away - or just simply walk away. You can do this because you're confident of your position and you have other options. This has gone on for too long and it seems it's definitely time to pull out the walk away threat. The issue is what other options do we have. Looks like a lot is going to be revealed about how we negotiate over the next week

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:58 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:44 am
On the flip side as soon as he makes a mistake this board will be full of melons claiming that he's not trying because he doesn't really want to be here.
True but this message board contains some special breeds.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:58 am

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:56 am
There comes a point with many negotiations when you threaten to walk away - or just simply walk away. You can do this because you're confident of your position and you have other options. This has gone on for too long and it seems it's definitely time to pull out the walk away threat. The issue is what other options do we have. Looks like a lot is going to be revealed about how we negotiate over the next week
The issue is you haven’t got a clue what’s going on (no one other than the parties involved does).

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:59 am

dibraidio wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:11 am

My concern is that coming to the Premier League with the ambition to avoid relegation is a massive comedown from where he was 12 months ago. Maybe Sean can fill him full of omelette and convince him that this can be a stepping stone for him to something better but it's a massive change of mindset for him to take on board.
This is a fair enough post. I share the same concerns because I am not sure as a group we are all Lambo's and Dior co-ords. It'll be interesting to find out more about how he adapts to Sean's values of no earphones on match day, etc. If he's mature and respectful, he'll appreciate that he's part of a new group and look to adapt. Pace has spoken a lot about the importance of "fit" in this respect, so I can only assume they have done their due dilligence.

That said, I get the impression that ALK's ambitions run far beyond owning a team whose ambitions are to avoid relegation. Yes, it may always be an achievement, but not the ambition. On that basis, we have to sign players that will help to take us to the next level and that involves signing better than what we have. If we keep signing Championship players, we'll end back there.

That's as much of a learning curve for SD as it is for the player. It will be a new leadership test for him to manage players from different cultures, with different lifestyles and aspirations. One which you'd hope he's looking forward to.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:11 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:36 am
You are almost certainly right, its not like we don't know the posters who have a problem with that, and they aren't interested in posting on anything vaguely football related
My observations lead me to conclude that all you are interested in is posting Twitter rumours which may be true or false but that won’t deter you even if there’s no resemblance to the truth with the rumours, you’ll carry on churning them out giving people false hope, whatever happens outside of that social arena you don’t seem to take seriously or pay any interest in.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:13 am

jtv wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:25 am
Apparently West Ham are after Bamba too.
Sol?

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:30 am

martin_p wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:58 am
The issue is you haven’t got a clue what’s going on (no one other than the parties involved does).
The problem is Martin, that this extends to a whole host of things associated with the club at the moment.

Since ALK came in there has been far too much guesswork and supposition passed off as fact on this board and it’s all very tedious.

In reality none of us know the facts and we’ve just got to trust those that do to get on with it.
These 3 users liked this post: Pearcey GodIsADeeJay81 Juan Tanamera

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:30 am

[/quote]

You may be right in regards to Defour having more natural talent however I think Cornet will have a big impact in this team. We have been crying out for someone that can take on a man and get to the byline. I honestly think Cornet will have Defour level of impact on this team.

If the owners can capture him and Christie (or Hughes) then it will have been our best window in 4 seasons. Credit where credit is due the owners have taken a big step in turning my personal opinion.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:32 am

Local cricketer wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:13 am
Sol?
No, Dave.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:37 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:30 am
You may be right in regards to Defour having more natural talent however I think Cornet will have a big impact in this team. We have been crying out for someone that can take on a man and get to the byline. I honestly think Cornet will have Defour level of impact on this team.

If the owners can capture him and Christie (or Hughes) then it will have been our best window in 4 seasons. Credit where credit is due the owners have taken a big step in turning my personal opinion.
[/quote]

So big a step you’ll actually start attending games again!?
This user liked this post: Newcastleclaret93

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:47 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:37 am

So big a step you’ll actually start attending games again!?
[/quote]

I just didn’t renew this season and I think the reasons were/are justified.

However I attended the Brighton game and I am going to the match tomorrow.
This user liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:56 am

Tall Paul wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:34 am
I don't think that's it. A certain section of posters just have to see the negative in everything we do.
Yes, and I do wonder how the poor darlings would have coped in the 1980s.

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 357 times
Has Liked: 330 times

Post by HahaYeah » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:59 am

Zom Zom wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:56 am
With no social media to bleat on.

Bigvince
Been Liked: 937 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:00 am

Zom Zom wrote:
I’m just glad this cornet signing didn’t happen in the 1980s, it would have cost me a fortune on Clubcall
These 4 users liked this post: Whitgord bfcjg elwaclaret mkmel

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:04 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:30 am
The problem is Martin, that this extends to a whole host of things associated with the club at the moment.

Since ALK came in there has been far too much guesswork and supposition passed off as fact on this board and it’s all very tedious.

In reality none of us know the facts and we’ve just got to trust those that do to get on with it.
The club hasn’t conducted its transfer dealings in public for a long time and correctly so.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:08 am

Bigvince wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:00 am
I’m just glad this cornet signing didn’t happen in the 1980s, it would have cost me a fortune on Clubcall
Absolutely, if you just look at this thread alone with 576133 views and lets say 2 minute call at 30p per minute, that would be £345'680, and back in the 80/90s that was one hell of a sum :lol:
This user liked this post: Bigvince

box_of_frogs

Post by box_of_frogs » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:13 am

Zom Zom wrote:
Probably standing on Brunshaw Road shouting "Teasdale Out".

cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by cblantfanclub » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:15 am

My favourite phrase on this thread is " I've heard......." which i presume is to imply some sort of knowledge above the level of I've read or my mate says.

Bigvince
Been Liked: 937 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:32 am

ClaretAL wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:08 am
Absolutely, if you just look at this thread alone with 576133 views and lets say 2 minute call at 30p per minute, that would be £345'680, and back in the 80/90s that was one hell of a sum :lol:
It would be enough to pay his wages for 7 weeks 👀

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:34 am

jedi_master wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:35 am
None of this has affected their effort and desire when playing for us
Are you sure about that? We've all seen "shirt carriers" and "sick notes" :(

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:42 am

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:34 am
Are you sure about that? We've all seen "shirt carriers" and "sick notes" :(
Wouldn't worry, I can't imagine SD standing for that

burnley007
Been Liked: 640 times
Has Liked: 674 times

Post by burnley007 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:52 am

At least we have some excitement and hope this window, far more than recent years.
I have absolute confidence that we will sign 2-3 players by next week.

If we sign 2 good players, that will probably be enough to add 4-5 places in the final league table, I really think Cornet + Christie/Hughes will make a huge difference to us. SD needs options, desperately!

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:14 pm

Bigvince wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:00 am
burnley Express twitter is Burnley clubcall for 2021

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:42 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:37 am

You don't get a fit 26 yr old Steven Defour for 15 million. Not knocking the lad, but its unfair to lay that much expectation on him.
I still don't think he'll sign, especially if others are sniffing. I share the doubts of his commitment to the cause. But if he does sign he'll have my unwavering support. He'll definitely add to the team, but Defour, I wish.

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:44 pm

Interested to see that Ryan Christie was given the captain's armband for the last 25m or so of Celtic's game against St Mirren.

He's been on good form this season and they seem pretty keen to keep him . Suggestion that he won't be signing a pre-contract agreement because he's worried that he might get dropped by Celtic. He'll be in a great negotiating position in January. Would it be worth offering Bobby Thomas on loan and a couple of trays of Hollands pies to try and get Celtic to let us have him now and avoid a bidding war in January?

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:51 pm

dibraidio wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:44 pm
Interested to see that Ryan Christie was given the captain's armband for the last 25m or so of Celtic's game against St Mirren.

He's been on good form this season and they seem pretty keen to keep him . Suggestion that he won't be signing a pre-contract agreement because he's worried that he might get dropped by Celtic. He'll be in a great negotiating position in January. Would it be worth offering Bobby Thomas on loan and a couple of trays of Hollands pies to try and get Celtic to let us have him now and avoid a bidding war in January?
If we deep-fried the pies.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:55 pm

HahaYeah wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:59 am
With no social media to bleat on.
Don't you remember they used to go round the pub spouting on at every person on the way.

box_of_frogs

Post by box_of_frogs » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:10 pm

burnley007 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:52 am
At least we have some excitement and hope this window, far more than recent years.
I have absolute confidence that we will sign 2-3 players by next week.

If we sign 2 good players, that will probably be enough to add 4-5 places in the final league table, I really think Cornet + Christie/Hughes will make a huge difference to us. SD needs options, desperately!
2 good players! :o

Now that's confidence!!!!!

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2941 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:17 pm

dibraidio wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:44 pm

We really need to go all in on this one, Hollands pies won't cut it, have to be Haffner's.
This user liked this post: RalphCoatesComb