ARTICLE: Collins is a Claret

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Re: ARTICLE: Collins is a Claret

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:40 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:16 am
I expect some of the incoming transfers to be funded by outgoings.
I'm not sure of that, I think we'll invest £30-40M and try to get the machine back up and running to keep producing talent to later sell, aside from Mcneil and Pope there isn't much else with resell value. Invest £40M this summer and hope 2-3 years down the line we recoup that fee plus much more. Buying and selling players is a business inside of a business.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:42 am

Collins fee will be very similar to what we managed to recoup off Norwich for Gibson, with probably a couple of million extra on top. Should certainly be more to come, great early decisive start.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1218 times
Has Liked: 7207 times

Post by Quicknick » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:22 am

Very pleased with this signing. Stoke fans will be disappointed.

WiscoClaret
Been Liked: 42 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by WiscoClaret » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:44 am

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:25 am
He'll start at right back until Tarkowski leaves imo
Over the Chesterfield Cafu?! Surely not. :D :lol:

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1231 times

Post by joey13 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:54 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:11 pm
I think had he been signing another contract he'd have done it by now.
Could the same be said about Dyche ?

williamjblazkowicz
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by williamjblazkowicz » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:22 am

Really pleased with this signing. I feel like it's the sort of signing a lot of us have been clamouring for for a long time. A promising young player from the Championship who can learn behind experienced players and eventually step in. Of course, signing these players is easier said than done. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that we don't know about. However, we have to hope that this is a sign of us being a little more active in the transfer market. We need a few more additions, preferably a few more players on the younger side who can improve and potentially grow in value.

I liked Collins' interview as well. Seems exactly the sort of person we like to have at the club character-wise (seeing it always reminds me what a bad feeling I had when watching Drinkwater's interview and look how that one turned out!). Personally, I feel we need a CM, one/maybe two wingers, and a striker. I'm under no illusions that we're very unlikely to be signing all those players but one can live in hope!

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:23 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Hi CP, I'm putting a different interpretation to the one you are offering.

Alan Pace is addressing both the fans and the club officers, including the most important one, as expressed by Alan Pace, the club's manager, Sean Dyche. There have been comments about the "falling out" of our previous chairman and Sean Dyche. There have also been comments in past transfer windows around who wanted to sign players that it was reported the club had bid for - and which members of the club may not have wanted those players. Alan Pace is making a statement about how things are operating now at the club and how he has set them up to operate. It's a re-set that Alan Pace has identified need to be made. It's very likely something he has learnt in discussion with Sean Dyche - and, possibly also in discussion with Mike Garlick. We also know that Mike Rigg is no longer with the club. I imagine that the new working methods are closely directed by Alan Pace on behalf of the new club's new "custodians" (I'm also comfortable to identify ALK as the club's owners). Alan Pace can't afford for the club's transfer activity to fail. ALK are even more committed to the club's success than Sean Dyche is. ALK will investment in the club to ensure the success of their investment - this is an initiative that belongs only to the club's new ownership. (I've no quarrel that whoever the club's new owners were, the new owners would plan to invest. Why invest, if plans were otherwise)?

Let's allow Alan Pace and his colleagues to show what they intend to do this transfer window. If we can get the right players, I feel the investment will be significant. Yes, there may be outgoing transfers also. James Tarkowski has stated he wants to leave and a season has gone by since he first said this. Let's let the ex-investment banker(s) manage the club's cash flow. I expect some of the incoming transfers to be funded by outgoings. This is Burnley's model, just as it was Burnley's model when Bob Lord owned the club. I'm sure future seasons and future transfer windows will be determined by the success of this transfer window and this coming season.

I'm feeling good.

Exciting times.

UTC
Brilliant post, PW

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:09 am

joey13 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:54 am
Could the same be said about Dyche ?
Totally different situation

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:11 am

Paul Waine wrote:
We also know that Mike Rigg is no longer with the club
I don't think he has.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

joey13

Post by joey13 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:32 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:09 am
Totally different situation
I get one is a player and one a manager, but neither have signed a new contract , so it isn’t a totally different situation

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:43 am

joey13 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:32 am
I get one is a player and one a manager, but neither have signed a new contract , so it isn’t a totally different situation
I'm fully aware that one of them is a player and the other a manager

joey13

Post by joey13 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:56 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:43 am
I'm fully aware that one of them is a player and the other a manager
You’d hope so 🤷‍♂️

claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 693 times

Post by claretgimmer » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:23 am

I think we could see this lad get a few starts at right back, I realize Lowton had a purple patch at the end of the season but is still vunerable to pace as is Bardsley, so given he is familiar with that position he could get used to the pace of the premier league before probably moving inside to repace Tarks if or when he leaves. Just a thought.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:29 pm

Re: financials,

I tend to agree with Paul’s above post. Pace needs to make a “statement” and differentiate himself from the past. So some of this may be spin, but it seems clear that risk assessment is different,

I feel comfortable that on a 5 year forecast income (sales and TV money mainly plus some commercial) will offset these costs. There seems no way though to compete while ensuring the cash is there uofront.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:33 pm

Paul Waine wrote:

Alan Pace is addressing both the fans and the club officers, including the most important one, as expressed by Alan Pace, the club's manager, Sean Dyche. There have been comments about the "falling out" of our previous chairman and Sean Dyche. There have also been comments in past transfer windows around who wanted to sign players that it was reported the club had bid for - and which members of the club may not have wanted those players. Alan Pace is making a statement about how things are operating now at the club and how he has set them up to operate. It's a re-set that Alan Pace has identified need to be made. It's very likely something he has learnt in discussion with Sean Dyche - and, possibly also in discussion with Mike Garlick. We also know that Mike Rigg is no longer with the club. I imagine that the new working methods are closely directed by Alan Pace on behalf of the new club's new "custodians" (I'm also comfortable to identify ALK as the club's owners). Alan Pace can't afford for the club's transfer activity to fail. ALK are even more committed to the club's success than Sean Dyche is. ALK will investment in the club to ensure the success of their investment - this is an initiative that belongs only to the club's new ownership. (I've no quarrel that whoever the club's new owners were, the new owners would plan to invest. Why invest, if plans were otherwise)?

Let's allow Alan Pace and his colleagues to show what they intend to do this transfer window. If we can get the right players, I feel the investment will be significant. Yes, there may be outgoing transfers also. James Tarkowski has stated he wants to leave and a season has gone by since he first said this. Let's let the ex-investment banker(s) manage the club's cash flow. I expect some of the incoming transfers to be funded by outgoings. This is Burnley's model, just as it was Burnley's model when Bob Lord owned the club. I'm sure future seasons and future transfer windows will be determined by the success of this transfer window and this coming season.

I'm feeling good.

Exciting times.

UTC
Brilliant post PW.

On how this is funded, I suspect if they still do owe us for Vokes that the down payment may have been very minimal, perhaps just topped up with what Norwich will owe us for Gibson? Could effectively be cash neutral this summer and for that we have CB cover and a rising star. Brilliant business.

The fee was also "undisclosed". Were it as high as muted, I can't see any reason it wouldn't be disclosed? Surely ALK would want to shout from the rooftops about the level of investment we are making and ditto Stoke would want their fans to feel they'd negotiated a good deal. It might be much more affordable than we think.

To CP's point about fallow years, I think it's to be expected that we will play "catch-up" this summer followed by some quieter windows (but hopefully still active). The important thing is to recruit at the right age category now so we have players coming through when we have the quieter windows. Collins certainly ticks that box.

I for one will not be worrying about the finances though. That's for the money men and those that have best knowledge of the clubs current finances/strategy to worry about. I'm just a fan who wants to see us improve and strengthen on the pitch, providing no ridiculous risks are taken and Alan's use of the term "custodian" yesterday gives me some comfort they understand their responsibilities in that regard.

Exciting times.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:38 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:29 pm
Re: financials,

I tend to agree with Paul’s above post. Pace needs to make a “statement” and differentiate himself from the past. So some of this may be spin, but it seems clear that risk assessment is different,

I feel comfortable that on a 5 year forecast income (sales and TV money mainly plus some commercial) will offset these costs. There seems no way though to compete while ensuring the cash is there uofront.
Absolutely. There may well have been a "re-set" of some of the existing practices, but given the media speculation that things were not rosy in camp on the recruitment front, I think it's important he clarifies how things are working today.

We need everyone pulling in the same direction from top to bottom to create the right environment at the club, so we can continue to overachieve. There may be some PR spin in what Pace is clarifying, but if it helps, I'm all up for it.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3168 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:04 pm

Paul Waine wrote:

I'm feeling good.

Exciting times.

UTC
I know you are naturally optimistic Paul and many view me as the opposite or at best cynical and world weary - but most of this is what I was and have been saying, it's the mainly the same message as I posted just in different words and a hugely upbeat outlook. Though I am far from convinced that Dyche will sanction anyone of the key players leaving this coming season. He has now effectively been officially labelled the most powerful person at the club and told he can have what he wants.

Yes the incomings and spend are expected this summer I have posted a number of times that is what I expected and even how I thought they would do it, but while it addresses squad issues, it is not addressing the financial headache that the club currently has, or the bigger one that is looming if we are not going to see revenues in excess of £170m very soon, without that, this will be a one off splurge as we follow the same financial restrictions MG faced in recent years.

I will say that if spending continues in the manner I think it will, then the wages + amortisation to revenue ratio is likely to be in the high 90% range or even higher, or if you use the UEFA marker of wages to revenue (there sustainability threshold value is deeply flawed) it is touching if not surpassing 70%.

We need the squad strengthening but we also need the revenues to facilitate - and it is far from certain that normality is to return at football or the wider economy in the short-term.

Yesterday I posted a column from Fitch Ratings who believe next season will see attendances of only 40% - 60% capacity and the 2022/23 season at 60% - 80% capacity with full houses having to wait until the 2023/24 season - they think the same for the British hospitality industry in general. Last summer saw a number of clubs spend substantial amounts based on a budget belief of normality by late autumn, we didn't share that view and were proved correct.

Our financial hand is much weaker this time around in being able to deal with the situation - The club is currently painting it's Harry Potts Way facade black, but I suspect there is going to be a lot of red in the next few sets of the accounts if Fitch's suggestions come to pass.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:52 am

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:25 am
He'll start at right back until Tarkowski leaves imo
It’s an option and could be used to get him some game time
This user liked this post: KRBFC

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:56 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:52 am
It’s an option and could be used to get him some game time
A good option too from what I've seen of Collins.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2573 times
Has Liked: 771 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:23 am

Like many I presume, I've never actually seen Collins play, but everything I've read about him suggests we've just made an excellent start to our summer recruitment.

I watched his first interview last night and I thought he came across brilliantly for such a young man. He'll fit into the group no bother at all.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:39 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:23 am
Like many I presume, I've never actually seen Collins play, but everything I've read about him suggests we've just made an excellent start to our summer recruitment.

I watched his first interview last night and I thought he came across brilliantly for such a young man. He'll fit into the group no bother at all.
It shouldn't make a difference how he comes across but it does. Those are the characteristics Dyche looks for in a player.

SussexDon1inIreland
Been Liked: 1277 times
Has Liked: 8528 times

Post by SussexDon1inIreland » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:00 pm

Welcome aboard Nathan

UTC