The three stumbling penalties

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Re: The three stumbling penalties

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:32 am

Pstotto wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:52 am
I'm convinced it was a fix because of the absolute failure of management.

You don't bring players on cold to take penalties without a kick of the ball and use penalty tactics like that from so-called elite kickers of the ball.
Valid points raised regarding why the hell would you bring somebody on to take the penalty kicks & I think of every substitute trusted the 3 missed coincidentally it’s 1 almighty coincidence, I’m not sure what odds you would get on that occurrence happening but it’s somewhere around my 6 numbers coming up this weekend, not just the 3 misses the fact that it was coupled with the substitutes & nobody else featuring & missing. Saying that my gut instinct tells me it wasn’t a fix but you can understand with what’s gone on why some people might believe that to be the case, nobody can be 100% sure.

dsr
Been Liked: 4572 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:18 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:32 am
Valid points raised regarding why the hell would you bring somebody on to take the penalty kicks & I think of every substitute trusted the 3 missed coincidentally it’s 1 almighty coincidence, I’m not sure what odds you would get on that occurrence happening but it’s somewhere around my 6 numbers coming up this weekend, not just the 3 misses the fact that it was coupled with the substitutes & nobody else featuring & missing. Saying that my gut instinct tells me it wasn’t a fix but you can understand with what’s gone on why some people might believe that to be the case, nobody can be 100% sure.
No, I can't understand why anyone would believe that to be the case. They would have to have no understanding of life in general, let alone statisitcs.

You mention the odds of lottery numbers coming up. I don't know if you are aware or not, but lottery numbers do come up. People have won the lottery. Is it always a fix?

Shuffle a pack of cards and lay the cards out in order. There is about an even chance that no pack has ever been shuffled into that order before (because the number of possible deals is so vast). Does that mean that every time you deal the cards, it is a fix?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:47 am

dsr wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:18 am
No, I can't understand why anyone would believe that to be the case. They would have to have no understanding of life in general, let alone statisitcs.

You mention the odds of lottery numbers coming up. I don't know if you are aware or not, but lottery numbers do come up. People have won the lottery. Is it always a fix?

Shuffle a pack of cards and lay the cards out in order. There is about an even chance that no pack has ever been shuffled into that order before (because the number of possible deals is so vast). Does that mean that every time you deal the cards, it is a fix?
I don’t think it was a fix but very coincidental with the way things panned out, things don’t normally happen that way & yes of course people win the lottery overcoming long odds & being extremely fortunate, I’m 90% sure it wasn’t a fix but 10% of me is unsure, I can’t be 100% sure nobody can be apart from the people involved in the fix if a fix existed in the first place.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:58 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:47 am
I don’t think it was a fix but very coincidental with the way things panned out, things don’t normally happen that way & yes of course people win the lottery overcoming long odds & being extremely fortunate, I’m 90% sure it wasn’t a fix but 10% of me is unsure, I can’t be 100% sure nobody can be apart from the people involved in the fix if a fix existed in the first place.
The odds are about the same as the odds that the sun blew up sometime in the last 8 minutes. I don't know for sure that it didn't, but in the absence of any evidence at all, I am going to believe that it still shines.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:58 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:32 am
But one of the players who missed had been on the pitch since the 70th minute, replacing a defender. If Southgate had done that specifically so he could miss a penalty in a shootout that was still 50 minutes away it’s a very risky plot.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:10 am

This thread should probably be left to just pstotto and Jakub now.

They seem to be very natural bedfellows.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:22 am

I'm 100% sure that it wasn't a fix

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6483 times
Has Liked: 2909 times

Re: The three stumbling penalties.

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:28 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:36 pm
This Franny Lee :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3yU5vV5b8k
To be fair to Francis,it was rather dark,I think some of the bulbs had gone on the floodlights.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:45 pm

You hate it when others round on your team of serpents, TFC.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:52 pm

Regarding the lottery notion, the three failed penalties were all no-run-up hesitant seemingly gormless attempts and on a lottery you can't pick the same number three times.

They saw what was successful and worked beforehand. Again, same thing twice.

Two of the players hadn't kicked a ball prior to the one kick, I would hazard a guess that statistically those players doing that would fail more.

The farce in the last few minutes where the defence had been dismantled by the manager, also arouses my suspicion.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:16 pm

Pstotto wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:52 pm
Regarding the lottery notion, the three failed penalties were all no-run-up hesitant seemingly gormless attempts and on a lottery you can't pick the same number three times.

They saw what was successful and worked beforehand. Again, same thing twice.

Two of the players hadn't kicked a ball prior to the one kick, I would hazard a guess that statistically those players doing that would fail more.

The farce in the last few minutes where the defence had been dismantled by the manager, also arouses my suspicion.
It’s something the majority of us will take to the grave not being sure about, I’ve never known anything like it people purposely being substituted in order to fulfil a job & then failing, usually it’s the other way around the whole idea is to bring them on to fulfil the job, if it was 1 missing fair enough all bloody 3.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:51 pm

If Andrea Pirlo had something to do with it, he would be Jakubclaret methinks. :-)

If David Blain can make you believe he can put his hand through glass and there were a team of illusion experts plotting a feint and using highly trained kidologist athletes... along comes Jakubclaret in his new all-electric rainbow VW.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:01 pm

Pstotto wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:51 pm
If Andrea Pirlo had something to do with it, he would be Jakubclaret methinks. :-)

If David Blain can make you believe he can put his hand through glass and there were a team of illusion experts plotting a feint and using highly trained kidologist athletes... along comes Jakubclaret in his new all-electric rainbow VW.
I preferred the old Italian side, gattuso, Maldini, nesta, del piero,ect I think Pirlo came along later around same time as totti, hell of a side past & present when you think about it, all the great sides are entertaining to watch, although last Sunday I would have much preferred the Italians to lose with the rest of us, I think it’ll be years before we get another shot like last Sunday again makes the defeat even more frustrating.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:11 pm

So you are Andrea Pirlo, I was right.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:08 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:16 pm
It’s something the majority of us will take to the grave not being sure about, I’ve never known anything like it people purposely being substituted in order to fulfil a job & then failing, usually it’s the other way around the whole idea is to bring them on to fulfil the job, if it was 1 missing fair enough all bloody 3.
No. you and pstotto will take it to your grave not knowing. The rest of us realise that out of every all the teams in penalty shoot-outs, half of them lose.

Let's leave aside Southgate, Rashford and Sancho. Just look at Sako. There are two possibilities:

1. He lost his nerve and took a poor penalty.
2. He deliberately took a poor penalty because someone had offered him something he valued more than a £100m+ career and fame and fortune and the chance to win a Euro Winners's medal and be England's hero for life.

It takes a "special" sort of mind to suspect the latter.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:25 am

dsr wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:08 am
No. you and pstotto will take it to your grave not knowing. The rest of us realise that out of every all the teams in penalty shoot-outs, half of them lose.

Let's leave aside Southgate, Rashford and Sancho. Just look at Sako. There are two possibilities:

1. He lost his nerve and took a poor penalty.
2. He deliberately took a poor penalty because someone had offered him something he valued more than a £100m+ career and fame and fortune and the chance to win a Euro Winners's medal and be England's hero for life.

It takes a "special" sort of mind to suspect the latter.
Why are we leaving rashford & sancho out? Did they score & I’ve missed that, all 3 never converted & the £100m wasn’t what he would have won had he converted, I remember at the time or the next day after certain posters saying on here all the money was going to charity so how would have sako received in excess of £100m?

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:53 am

We're leaving Rashford out because my post was about the monumental stupidity of someone who thinks Sako took a bribe to lose. I didn't think I needed to add in the thrice-more monumental stupidity of those who thought Rashford, Sancho, and Southgate were in on it too. :roll:

Have you factored in the coincidence that Sako and Sancho both begin and end with the same letter, and that southgate also begins with S and ends with a vowel?

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:56 am

As for the very simple question of Sako's £100m. He is a young professional footballer with huge earning potential If he plays out his career then he has every chance of earning £100m. If he had taken a bribe to throw the Euro final, then he would be banned from football and will not make £100m.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:03 am

Sako to get a European Womens Medal?

I'll get my specs.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:07 am

I’m 90% thinking it wasn’t a fix but the 10% is exploring the possibility of a fix involving everybody, I don’t think it was a fix but I can’t be 100% about it, I don’t know how anybody not associated with the England setup can be to be honest. We’ll agree to disagree if that’s ok I’m bored & don’t wish to argue about something I can’t be sure about especially when i 90% agree with you.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:55 am

dsr wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:53 am
We're leaving Rashford out because my post was about the monumental stupidity of someone who thinks Sako took a bribe to lose. I didn't think I needed to add in the thrice-more monumental stupidity of those who thought Rashford, Sancho, and Southgate were in on it too. :roll:

Have you factored in the coincidence that Sako and Sancho both begin and end with the same letter, and that southgate also begins with S and ends with a vowel?
Sako and Sancho both end in the same letter, but the England player is called Saka.

Not to detract from the rest of your point though. You’d have to be intellectually challenged to even think that penalty shootout may have been fixed.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:57 am

Bonkers to think that penalty shootout was fixed.

One team always has to be on the losing end but my personal opinion is that Southgate tried to be a bit too clever and it backfired.

He threw those three young lads under the bus.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:34 pm

We are through the looking glass here.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:30 pm

For those questioning the sub. Holland used to regularly sub their keeper under van gal for penalties. And it worked.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:08 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:30 pm
For those questioning the sub. Holland used to regularly sub their keeper under van gal for penalties. And it worked.
John Coleman at Accrington once subbed his goalkeeper after 119 minutes. Not because either goalkeeper was better than the other, but because he wanted to throw doubt into the minds of the opponents. It worked - they won.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:12 am

Subbing a goalkeeper is a good idea. Nice big fellow filling your goal is much better than a wee thin chap in psychology terms.

I went to watch Inverness Caley Thistle v Stirling Albion yesterday.
2-2 so they have penalties. Subs had been brought on with a couple of mins left, for that. They missed.

There is something about an outfield player needing to get his mind and body in the flow of the game and see how tge keeper moves during the match. Come in cold and it is hard. Happened throughout the Euros.

A new keeper presents an unknown challenge to tge opposition.