Worst feeling after a football match

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Re: Worst feeling after a football match

Post by Top Claret » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:02 pm

All these folk who keep going on about fa cup defeats to the likes of Lincoln and Bournemouth haven't been following us very long to have them down as their worst feeling. I really couldn't care less about the cup competitions they mean nothing to me now we are an established Premier league club.
Playing the likes of United, Arsenal and Liverpool week in and out is my cup final after following the clarets from div 1-4 and back to the Premier league

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11049 times
Has Liked: 5658 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:32 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:02 pm
All these folk who keep going on about fa cup defeats to the likes of Lincoln and Bournemouth haven't been following us very long to have them down as their worst feeling. I really couldn't care less about the cup competitions they mean nothing to me now we are an established Premier league club.
Playing the likes of United, Arsenal and Liverpool week in and out is my cup final after following the clarets from div 1-4 and back to the Premier league
lucky them BUT it makes those of us that were watching in the lower reaches appreciate where we are now a whole lot more I would imagine

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:57 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:12 pm
Yeah that Coventry one was rough. (As was Coventry away one year but for different reasons. Absolutely freezing).

City away 5-1 was a bad one too. Proper brought us down to earth.
Yes at the time that Coventry game was a sickener considering how well we'd done for most of the season, and I'm not 100% certain, but I'm fairly sure we were only out of the play-off positions for a couple of weeks during that season, sadly for us one of those just happened to be at the most important time, however in hindsight it was probably better for us as a club that we didn't gain promotion at this time, as imagine if we'd have brought players in for PL fees and wages, and then suffered relegation in the aftermath of the ITV Digital collapse, we'd have really been in dire straits in terms of finance, yes it was bad enough anyway in the last couple of seasons under Stan, and we needed to have a couple of firesales to balance the books, but add into that scenario the additional costs of still paying out PL wages for players we couldn't get off the books, and you can easily see how we could have been envisaging a Bolton/Sunderland outcome, and languishing in the lower leagues once more.

Funnily enough the City game was when the wheels started coming off our promotion charge, prior to that NYD game we'd been on a brilliant run, and were well clear at the top of the table, but despite a promising start to that match, once Glen Little saw his penalty saved after about 20 minutes we just capitulated, and it didn't help that our next home game against AFC Wimbledon/MK Dons was postponed, that and injuries to key players notably Glen Little, stalled our runaway train, and although we improved in the closing weeks of the campaign we'd left ourselves too much ground to make up, and we finished 7th again.

And following that close miss I doubt many of us would have expected to ever see Burnley compete in the PL, but how wrong we all were thankfully.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:00 am

Top Claret wrote:
I’ve been following us since the mid 80s and Lincoln’s one of mine. 😎

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:05 am

Top Claret wrote:
So is that the height of your ambitions just to remain in the PL?, because let's be realistic we're never going to be in a position to challenge for the PL title, not unless we somehow attract a mega rich owner, so our one chance of perhaps winning a major trophy is the 2 domestic cup competitions, yes it's great being in the PL, but that'll probably come to an end sooner or later, whereas if we should win a cup that'll be part of our history forever.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:10 am

Hard to look past the 0-6 loss to Hereford and the following home fixture where we lost 2-5 at home to Wolves for me in 1987.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:32 am

BenWickes wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:10 am
Hard to look past the 0-6 loss to Hereford and the following home fixture where we lost 2-5 at home to Wolves for me in 1987.
Hereford's probably got to be the nadir for the club, and the 3-0 drubbing at Telford in the cup that season will take some beating for embarrassment, but there's so many dark days from that painful era that you'd need a catalogue to list them all.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:46 am

Leaving Gresty Road in 1987 with just the Orient home game left. All hope, at least for me, distinguished. No one spoke on the way home and the 5 day wait for that final game was excruciatingly painful. Never again!

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 289 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:19 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:05 am
So is that the height of your ambitions just to remain in the PL?, because let's be realistic we're never going to be in a position to challenge for the PL title, not unless we somehow attract a mega rich owner, so our one chance of perhaps winning a major trophy is the 2 domestic cup competitions, yes it's great being in the PL, but that'll probably come to an end sooner or later, whereas if we should win a cup that'll be part of our history forever.
I suppose it’s where you set your ambitions/expectations. In 133 years of league football we’ve only managed 3 major trophies so while it would be amazing to win a cup, given our success rate in these competitions staying in the premier league doesn’t strike me as unreasonable either.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5049 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:21 pm

Hillsborough, it's still hard to take even after all this time. To play so well and lose made it worse. If they'd outplayed us it would have hurt, but you could write it off, but to dominate and get beat.
The knock on effects from losing that one match probably had more repercussions for us over the next 10 years than anyone could have imagined.

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by expoultryboy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:48 pm

Hillsborough , Wimbledon , Crewe and Hull away in 1983 .

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:59 pm

Hillsborough 1974.
When Wembley finals meant so much and I was certain we would get there. I can’t remember us dominating the game, as several on here have said, but I do remember we had a few chances. That SuperMac was a real handful though.
I was absolutely devastated and still get riled at the result.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5049 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:24 pm

Claret wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:59 pm
Hillsborough 1974.
When Wembley finals meant so much and I was certain we would get there. I can’t remember us dominating the game, as several on here have said, but I do remember we had a few chances. That SuperMac was a real handful though.
I was absolutely devastated and still get riled at the result.
Supermac himself said Burnley were all over them. It's the only reason I could forgive him. Eventually.
This user liked this post: Claret

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:12 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:24 pm
Supermac himself said Burnley were all over them. It's the only reason I could forgive him. Eventually.
Forgiveness? No.
...I’d walk a mile and a bit ..etc

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:37 pm

Some good/bad games already listed but the Crewe away defeat didn’t only mean Burnley may have been been relegated from the football league but someone did suggest that the bulldozers would be ready to move in as a supermarket were interested on the site and we owed money.

How true that was I don’t know but Burnley FC not in the FL was unthinkable to many at the time.

The ref didn’t play the full 90 minutes either to make things worse.

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:50 pm

This is easy.

1974 semi final.

I cried, i was 9. Ive never cried after a game since.

EK Claret
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by EK Claret » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:54 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:10 pm
Scottish mate of mine (who we met at the Aberdeen away game) who has mocked England all tournament rung me an hour after full time to do the same. Ask if I was alright 😂😂😂
It was not me although I am sure I met you walking back to the Centre after the game, I am an Aberdeen born Burnley die hard how does that work

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:15 pm

steve1264b wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:50 pm
This is easy.

1974 semi final.

I cried, i was 9. Ive never cried after a game since.
I was 16 and cried too. And still haven't got over it. It was the day "Dark Cloud" was born at 4.45 p.m. as I've never expected owt watching Burnley ever since and thus take everything positive as a bonus. Like others I just expected we'd turn up and win because on paper we should have and again as has been said the cup was absolutely massive in those days. I've gone into every game expecting the worst ever since!!!

morpheus2
Been Liked: 762 times
Has Liked: 1855 times

Post by morpheus2 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:09 pm

"should have gone christmas shopping" game against Leeds - not the worst, but pretty bad with my late bro being a Leeds fan and all.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:12 pm

Then one thing missing in my football life is a cup win, league would do. If Birmingham can we can.

pekinrobin
Been Liked: 5 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by pekinrobin » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:02 pm

Hillsborough semi final against Newcastle, absolutely devastated.

Fretters
Been Liked: 1051 times
Has Liked: 553 times

Post by Fretters » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:19 pm

A few cup ones:

Darlington at the Riverside when we'd been 2-0 up before throwing it away.

Grimbsy in the auto windscreens under Waddle. We were one game from Wembley, got a decent draw at their place before losing the second leg at the Turf.

Think we also got battered at home to lower league Rotherham under Waddle in an FA Cup replay when we would have had a decent draw in the next round (Canvey Island or someone).

My worst though is definitely 5-0 at Ewood. I was in year 11 at a Blackburn school and the thought of going in on Monday was making me sick.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:44 pm

EK Claret wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:54 pm
It was not me although I am sure I met you walking back to the Centre after the game, I am an Aberdeen born Burnley die hard how does that work
After the aberdeen game or the england game this weekend?

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:18 am

Blackburn away in 2001. That was a sobering experience to see the gulf in class from an over performing third tier squad to what was essentially a Premier League squad. We were miles off it.

The other for me was Lincoln in the cup.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7191 times

Post by Quicknick » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:34 am

Newcastle in the cup semi for matches I went to. But worse than that was the League Cup semi final defeat to Swindon at WBA. I was young and when my father told me the result I burst into tears.

Dressinggown
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 79 times

Post by Dressinggown » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:04 pm

All those painful defeats against Rovers over a number of decades were put to bed when Danny Ings scuffed it past Robinson for that late winner.

I was on the Turf watching my first local derby on Boxing Day (about 1977 ?) I was in the Cricket Field Stand with my uncle as my dad wouldn't take me on the Bee Hole End as there was a fair chance of things 'kicking off''. Which it did.

My memories are rather sketchy but I think the attendance was around the 27,000 mark.

Burnley were 3-0 down at half time and Rovers got a penalty early in the second half which was missed by Kevin Hird ?

We then scored twice at the Cricket Field End and there were a fair few 'altercations' taking place between both sets of fans.

It ended with the visiting fans gloating in our faces following a narrow win.

I would have 'had a proper go' at the smug Blackburn fans but I was only seven at the time and my uncle was holding my hand, thus rendering my trusted right hook unavailable for use.

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:07 am

May I recommend the nephew/uncle triple windmill. Most effective when uncle David and I got into a minor altercation with the dodgem gypsy chaps at Accrington Carnival. You do need to connect with your opponent on the first swing however as a second revolution brings shoulder complications in later life for both generations