I believe I have caught COVID on the Turf

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
PadihamThickNeck
Been Liked: 110 times
Has Liked: 77 times

I believe I have caught COVID on the Turf

Post by PadihamThickNeck » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:16 pm

First of all I’m no anti vaxxer, Conspiracy theorist or don’t believe COVID is made up. I was just stupid and naive to think I’ll never get it because I’m young and relatively healthy (Under 30). I haven’t had any jabs.

I started feeling unwell at work yesterday and got home last night and it got worse, then during the night I knew something wasn’t right, hot and cold sweats, full body aches, headache and a horrible pain behind my eyes. It isn’t pleasant in fact it’s horrific and I’m hoping it doesn’t get any worse.

I did a lateral flow test this morning which was positive and have been for a proper test which I’m sure will come back the same.

The day my symptoms started match up with going on the Turf. I was sat in the CFS near the back close to the away fans, I didn’t go anywhere else all weekend.

I didn’t have a mask on, nobody did , I’m trying to think how I have contracted it but it could be one of 10 things, On the stand, Concourse, toilets, when we scored , in the queue to get in ….

Hopefully I make a speedy recovery then the jabs are defiantly getting booked….

Just thought I’d any clarets who are young and think COVID will never bet you well it will and it isn’t nice !

PTNeck

UpTheClarets

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Re: I believe I have caught COVID on the Turf

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:21 pm

Firstly, get well soon.

Symptoms tend to develop a few days and up to 14 days after exposure/contact, so its unlikely that you will have actually contracted it on the Turf. The fact you don't feel it straight away while still be able to transmit it is one of the more crucial factors into why its had such an impact.

ClaretInLeeds
Been Liked: 299 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Post by ClaretInLeeds » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:22 pm

No sympathy if you’ve not had your jabs…..
This user liked this post: thelaughingclaret

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 852 times
Has Liked: 1094 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:22 pm

I can believe it and I'm sure you are not the only one. It will be interesting to hear if others have caught it. The lack of social distancing or mask wearing was alarming. If anyone is really concerned about catching this even after being vaccinated I would recommend they don't go. I'm all for getting more support on but there were zero safety measures in place. I refused to go on the concourse at half time but it was actually worse outside the Bob Lord and Park View.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 852 times
Has Liked: 1094 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:25 pm

Didn't see the not had any jabs bit so not too much sympathy here. You know the risks going to events with lots of people if not vaccinated and it is unfair on others too.
This user liked this post: thelaughingclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32393 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:27 pm

I was forced to isolate after the Liverpool game. Totally agree with Boss Hogg about the lack of anything on Saturday.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:29 pm

Get well soon.

Not sure about the “unfair” on others. How? If those others are vaccinated what’s the issue? If not, they’re in the same position. Stop trying to be the bigger person about this all scenario.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:36 pm

Dyched wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:29 pm
Get well soon.

Not sure about the “unfair” on others. How? If those others are vaccinated what’s the issue? If not, they’re in the same position. Stop trying to be the bigger person about this all scenario.
Not getting involved in an argument about the unfair bit but its a fact that unvaccinated people are a risk to everyone. Even vaccinated you can get seriously ill and unvaccinated people are much more likely to get the virus and pass it on to others. Also the more of the population of that stays unvaccinated then the more the virus is on the move and the more chance it has of mutating into something our vaccines dont protect again.

What the levels of risk around this is I have no idea as im not an expert but it simply is a fact that you are a bigger danger to society whilst you remain unvaccinated.
These 4 users liked this post: Somethingfishy Bosscat Boss Hogg Volvoclaret

alf_resco
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by alf_resco » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:39 pm

Heres'a simple solution: if you don't fancy being in a crowd/close to others, don't go.
Get well soon; I'm 99.8% sure you will.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:40 pm

Lets get it straight....this is never going to go away, just like flu won't go away. Being vaccinated just lessens the chance of it being severe with nobody having any natural immunity with it being a new virus. We get booster shots for the flu because of new variants and because we already have some exposure to flu over the years our bodies generaly know how to fight it. This will happen with Covid.

We don't need anymore restrictions in public. Each person can check their own levels of risk and decide accordingly. Personal choice and responsibility instead of being told what to do. Did we have restrictions in place each winter when it was flu season?

We have to learn to live with it.
These 3 users liked this post: bobinho BurnleyFC Shappie

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Post by ten bellies » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:41 pm

Keep living in fear, and you won't live.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

BuryClaret
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by BuryClaret » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:45 pm

I took my mask with me for the more crowded areas and was quite surprised to see that barely anyone was wearing one - particularly in the concourse. Not surprised to hear that people have caught it to be honest.

Get well soon.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 777 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:56 pm

Sounds like you could have spread it at work and wherever else you have been this week :ugeek:

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:03 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:36 pm
Not getting involved in an argument about the unfair bit but its a fact that unvaccinated people are a risk to everyone. Even vaccinated you can get seriously ill and unvaccinated people are much more likely to get the virus and pass it on to others. Also the more of the population of that stays unvaccinated then the more the virus is on the move and the more chance it has of mutating into something our vaccines dont protect again.

What the levels of risk around this is I have no idea as im not an expert but it simply is a fact that you are a bigger danger to society whilst you remain unvaccinated.
All viruses mutate. Why do people think that somehow some scientists have created a one all wonder vaccine that fights against all variants of a virus in under year when, they haven’t even worked out if people can actually catch the thing more than once?

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:09 pm

I've had both my jabs so I'm not particularly worried about going to the football, but on Saturday I wore my mask at all times except when sitting in my seat. I was very much in the minority.
This user liked this post: Boss Hogg

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5072 times
Has Liked: 6845 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:13 pm

Get well soon, get jabbed get living.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:21 pm

Dyched wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:03 pm
they haven’t even worked out if people can actually catch the thing more than once?
it is the case that catching Covid more than once is a significantly lower risk but not impossible or even unlikely was how I would take the latest advice on that point

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:23 pm

Somethingfishy wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:40 pm
Lets get it straight....this is never going to go away, just like flu won't go away. Being vaccinated just lessens the chance of it being severe with nobody having any natural immunity with it being a new virus. We get booster shots for the flu because of new variants and because we already have some exposure to flu over the years our bodies generaly know how to fight it. This will happen with Covid.

We don't need anymore restrictions in public. Each person can check their own levels of risk and decide accordingly. Personal choice and responsibility instead of being told what to do. Did we have restrictions in place each winter when it was flu season?

We have to learn to live with it.
posted this last night on the MMT
Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:34 am
The Premier League have been very cautious in their Covid rules for this season, which has irritated a lot of fans, however the Premier League are playing the long game and are aware that the Government is considering imposing universal rules - from FCBusiness.com

1st October – Covid Pass Day?
The date when you might need more than a ticket to get into the match!

Under normal circumstances 1st October should have been just like any other day. But probably not this year.

According to Government sources it could be the pivotal date that so called Covid vaccination passes are introduced and many fans will be legally required to produce evidence of having two jabs before they can get into grounds. All at a time when cashless entry is also the growing name of the game, creating significant extra administrative cost for clubs, and a potential change that could be with us forever.

Call it the calm before the storm, or going back to the future if you like. But with the possible return of Covid restrictions before Christmas also looking like a nightmare waiting to happen, a Plan B – particularly for clubs at the bottom end of football’s pyramid – looks like a lifeline some might have to grab with all available hands.

It comes during a major inquiry into how football is run in this country, led by former Sports Minister Tracey Crouch. And she has already delivered a grim warning that the future of the game here now faces “a genuine risk.”

In an interim report to Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden, she is reported to have called for a new and independent body to protect clubs at all levels and spearhead major reforms at the Football Association, the Premier League, and the English Football League (EFL).

All this is happening at a time when the picture was looking a little rosier than it has done for the best part of two years. But with the rest of an increasingly troubled world looking on sceptically at the way the UK has cocked-a-snook at Covid and opened stadia doors to fans who are optimistically expected to behave themselves and observe social distancing as well an air of nervousness pervades.

What will happen if Covid does strike again and brings another shutdown, even a relatively limited one, in its wake?

You don’t have to be an Einstein to work out that there is no bottomless pit to dip into and the Government can’t realistically afford to help much anymore having already forked out close on £350billion – that’s equivalent to nearly £7,000 for every household in the country – in furlough payments and support benefits to industries like football.

So, the question looms large if crowd restrictions return. Where do we go from here?

Chances are that if limited capacity crowds – or none at all for that matter – make an unwelcome return we may already have witnessed the beginnings of a revolutionary change in the way we watch football.

Such a scenario comes first with those vaccine passports, on phones, cards or documents that many fans may have to produce to prove they have had two COVID vaccinations – and possibly three if booster jabs are introduced – before they will be allowed inside stadiums in England.

At the moment all the English Football League’s 72 clubs have been left to make their own individual decisions on “passports only” entry, but several top clubs like Tottenham and Chelsea have already trialled on phone Covid passes. And the Government has indicated that an initiative that has already been applied to night clubs and other similar entertainment venues is likely to be made mandatory for football stadia from 1st October.

The EFL is currently in talks with the Government on how it will all work, but they are hoping Covid Certification, as it is being labelled, may yet prove to be an important measure for helping avoid reduced capacities at grounds for the whole of this season.

“Government media briefings have so far focused on it applying at matches with crowds of more than 20,000, but we await confirmation,” said an EFL spokesman. “However, clubs are being encouraged to step up their Covid communications to fans in respect of the need to follow current public health guidance to prevent the spread of the virus and get tested if displaying symptoms in order to keep everyone safe.”

The EFL is also urging clubs to encourage supporters to be vaccinated and promote the use of the NHS app.

Whatever happens, however, it is just the start of what looks increasingly like the ever changing face of football in the wake of the Covid pandemic.

Take season ticket holders, for example. Thousands have already forked out millions to watch their teams in action, but who pays if there is a return to restricted crowds or even empty stadia?

Last season, for instance, little Bromley in the National League did the decent thing by deciding not to sell any season tickets because they couldn’t guarantee playing all their home games. Chairman Robin Stanton-Gleaves said at the time: “A tough decision has to be made, and with the inability to guarantee a full fixture list we are not comfortable taking supporters’ money for a product we cannot guarantee we can fulfil. This will be an almighty challenge and we will need all our sponsors and supporters on board more than ever to make it happen.”

Let’s face it, most fans will want at least some of their money back if they are not allowed to watch their teams live for any lengthy period this season, and if the worst comes to the worst many more clubs could be facing a similar almighty challenge over the next few months as a result. Especially those who don’t have a wealthy benefactor like Bromley’s boss – or a Government with deep pockets – to help them balance the books through the season.

The EFL’s governing body is the first to recognise the “significant economic impact” Covid has already had on its member clubs (particularly those in Leagues One and Two) who collectively lost £250million in gate revenue when matches were played behind closed doors last season. And they are seeking a substantial increase in financial help from the Premier League to help cushion the blow.

Whether the Premier League, or the Government for that matter, is prepared or able to deliver any more bailouts is questionable. And seeing as how both bodies have already handed out millions to help rescue EFL and non-league clubs further financial help is almost certainly unlikely.

So now we all have to just wait and see, with fingers, feet (and anything else you consider lucky) very firmly crossed!

Blatherwickstattoo
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by Blatherwickstattoo » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:29 pm

All those gloating at him not being double jabbed …shame on you. Some serious superior complexes.

Being jabbed with an experimental vaccine isn’t stopping the spread of the new variant!!
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Raconteur
Been Liked: 106 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by Raconteur » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:34 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:36 pm

So, are you saying that the vaccinated are not a risk to other people?
Well if you are you are totally wrong. I now have to miss the Liverpool game as I have to isolate. I have not had a vaccine and not tested positive. All due to my mate coming to mine on Sunday to watch Spurs vs Man City. He tested positive on Tuesday and has been double jabbed.

ClaretInLeeds
Been Liked: 299 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Post by ClaretInLeeds » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:36 pm

Whereas if you had been double jabbed, you wouldn’t have to self isolate at all….

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:42 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:25 pm
Didn't see the not had any jabs bit so not too much sympathy here. You know the risks going to events with lots of people if not vaccinated and it is unfair on others too.
Understand your sentiment Boss Hogg but it transpires the vaccine isn't preventing the spread of the 'delta variant' of the virus.

Meaning: if you're not vaccinated, it's your own personal choice and nothing more.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:42 pm

PadihamThickNeck wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:16 pm
First of all I’m no anti vaxxer, Conspiracy theorist or don’t believe COVID is made up. I was just stupid and naive to think I’ll never get it because I’m young and relatively healthy (Under 30). I haven’t had any jabs.
Why haven't you had a jab yet? They've been available for 25-29 year olds since 8th June - 10 weeks.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:46 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:42 pm
Why haven't you had a jab yet? They've been available for 25-29 year olds since 8th June - 10 weeks.
Personal choice?

Young people can catch the virus but it really isn't likely to be serious.

I'd still rather have covid than flu. The reason? Flu is statisically more likely to be fatal to somebody of my age.

There was a good argument the it was a responsible thing to take the vaccine because it was stopping the spread of the disease. This was true of the earlier variants of the virus but the vaccines are not stopping the spread of the 'delta variant'.

So the "take the vaccine to help protect others" argument is lessening and it simply comes down to personal choice.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 353 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:47 pm

I don't understand this "coming into contact and having to self isolate" stuff. Is it not just common sense, that if you have come into contact with with someone who has tested positive for covid and you are likely to be entering a situation where you are mixing with lots of people, then take a test?

I hearing people telling me that they MAY have been in contact with a positive case and now they are self isolating people because some app told them to. They are cancelling all their plans and staying at home for 6 days... If they don't have symptoms, still take a simple test and they'll know they are fine. I don't get it.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:49 pm

Blatherwickstattoo wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:29 pm
All those gloating at him not being double jabbed …shame on you. Some serious superior complexes.

Being jabbed with an experimental vaccine isn’t stopping the spread of the new variant!!
I was with you on the first line

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:50 pm

Get well soon

I'm not getting involved in the rest of the comments, but its safer to have the vaccine than not to have it, and that is scientific fact.
These 3 users liked this post: Jakubs Tash ŽižkovClaret tim_noone

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:51 pm

Rowls wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:46 pm
Personal choice?

Young people can catch the virus but it really isn't likely to be serious.

I'd still rather have covid than flu. The reason? Flu is statisically more likely to be fatal to somebody of my age.

There was a good argument the it was a responsible thing to take the vaccine because it was stopping the spread of the disease. This was true of the earlier variants of the virus but the vaccines are not stopping the spread of the 'delta variant'.

So the "take the vaccine to help protect others" argument is lessening and it simply comes down to personal choice.
It's clearly had an effect or the figures for cases and deaths would be through the roof.

Personal choice is fine but you clearly run a higher risk of getting it and spreading it.

The opening poster said he is going to book his jabs when he gets better which suggests he just hasn't 'got around to it' yet.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:52 pm

Vaccinations are not stopping the spread of the Delta variant but they make it less likely, 50% less likely was the last I read, so the argument still holds good.

milkcrate_mosh
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by milkcrate_mosh » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:55 pm

alf_resco wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:39 pm
Heres'a simple solution: if you don't fancy being in a crowd/close to others, don't go.
Get well soon; I'm 99.8% sure you will.
130,000 deaths in the UK, for that to be 0.2% there would need to have been 65 million cases...

While less effective than against the alpha variant vaccines do offer protection against delta. The reduced mortality were seeing in this wave is almost certainly as a result of the vaccine program. Hard to consider it an "experimental" vaccine at this point when almost 5 billion doses have been administered. Even then the astra zenica and Johnson and Johnson vaccines use very traditional technology.

Anyone taking anything away from this message board about COVID should consider the nonsense people write about football on here and realise that the users are even less informed about virology.
This user liked this post: superdimitri