The joys of us being a community club.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1393 times

Re: The joys of us being a community club.

Post by AfloatinClaret » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:27 am

bf2k wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:01 am
You're assuming people are in the area. Most areas were advised not to travel to Lancashire even outside of restrictions.

Stick up for the club as much as you want top & bottom it is poor. It would have surely been sensible to extend the vouchers for another 12 months AND COMMUNICATE ANY CHANGES!!! But hey we all know communication was (possibly still is) at the bottom of the clubs strengths list.
So you're suggesting the club should've tracked down and contacted the holder (probably rarely the purchaser) of each voucher to check if they have a problem in getting to Turf Moor due to lock-downs and failing to do so reflects badly on them? Yet you don't think in those circumstances that there's perhaps some onus on the voucher holder to contact the club and explain his predicament?

As noted by someone earlier 'the OP still has my sympathy', but in this instance he doesn't have my support.

I believe that the primary reason for companies applying time limits to gift-vouchers is due to their causing accounting problems - 'income' arriving in one financial year, whilst the associated costs land in a subsequent year(s)

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6536 times

Post by bobinho » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:38 am

They don’t have to track anyone down, they don’t have to contact anyone…. Not the original purchaser, not the current voucher holder so let’s not try to to turn this into a logistical nightmare, they only have to do one small thing. Extend the deadline to something more reasonable (like most other businesses seem to have done) and place that information in an easily seen/accessed place on the website.

This is BASIC!
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure longsidepies

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:39 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:49 am
To be fair to the club, there were people whinging on here a little while ago around the pre season games, about something the club had actually posted on the club site but people couldn't be arsed to read the entire article so missed it.
To be fair to people, looking for items/news on the Club website is quite often like looking for a needle in a haystack! There are some recent news items/updates which have been removed fairly quickly and others which are still on there from over 5 years ago!

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:44 am

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:27 am
So you're suggesting the club should've tracked down and contacted the holder (probably rarely the purchaser) of each voucher to check if they have a problem in getting to Turf Moor due to lock-downs and failing to do so reflects badly on them? Yet you don't think in those circumstances that there's perhaps some onus on the voucher holder to contact the club and explain his predicament?

As noted by someone earlier 'the OP still has my sympathy', but in this instance he doesn't have my support.

I believe that the primary reason for companies applying time limits to gift-vouchers is due to their causing accounting problems - 'income' arriving in one financial year, whilst the associated costs land in a subsequent year(s)
How come then that you can pay for concerts, holidays etc which are actually taking place well over 12 months after payment and that doesn't seem to cause' accounting problems'. Also, if you buy a voucher from the Club shop today but don't use it until after 1st April, 2022 then that sale will be in a different financial year.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:51 am

Doubt it's anything to do with accounting issues. Obviously if a voucher has 12 month expiry date it would often cross two financial years. In any it will be treated as a liability pending redemption when it can then be posted as sales revenue.
This user liked this post: Leisure

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:06 am

I’ve never understood vouchers as a gift. Pay actual money for limited time pretend money that does not offer change if purchasing under the value? Even before the time limited, which itself is a nonsense.

If Burnley Football Club are not happy taking payments in advance because of financial risk how do they explain season tickets

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:22 am

bf2k wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:06 am
It so the club can realise the revenue. Purchasing a voucher won't go into the revenue figures until it is redeemed against a saleable item. Otherwise, when the voucher is redeem the goods it is exchanged for would in theory be sold for free.
Thanks for that. I had a little look on the web and found this https://www.london.edu/think/false-prof ... piry-dates which in the context of the opening post is interesting. Particularly for BFC.

Venkys4eva
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by Venkys4eva » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:46 am

Never ever buy vouchers for any shop because its just a big con. Always give cash where you can spend anywhere and on anything you like.
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:58 am

Vouchers for asda or argos or something are a bit naff, but vouchers for other stores can be nice to have.
I have two friends who spend all year unable to justify buying something nice just for themselves - any surplus cash just gets swallowed up by the house and kids, so they fully appreciate a Next voucher where they can go and spend £50 just on themselves without feeling that they're wasting money.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:11 pm

Most vouchers and similar items have a use by date. Some companies have dealt with the pandemic better than others
I had a pre paid travel card that charges a non usage fee after 12 months, even though we couldn't travel. A few polite emails resulted in me getting refunded
A similar card for the high Street refuse to refund any non usage fee.
I did know about the fees because I read the terms of use

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6895 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:43 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:06 am
I’ve never understood vouchers as a gift. Pay actual money for limited time pretend money that does not offer change if purchasing under the value? Even before the time limited, which itself is a nonsense.

If Burnley Football Club are not happy taking payments in advance because of financial risk how do they explain season tickets
A voucher encourages the recipient to buy a gift that suits their taste. The in laws always give me a voucher for my favourite ‘fashion’ retailer (obviously pretty high end gear), and I much prefer this to cash as I have an excuse to treat myself to something that I maybe wouldn’t otherwise. And I would rather choose my own clothes than have someone else do so for me.

You could equally ask what is the point of any present when you could give the recipient cash.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6895 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:47 pm

taio wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:51 am
Doubt it's anything to do with accounting issues. Obviously if a voucher has 12 month expiry date it would often cross two financial years. In any it will be treated as a liability pending redemption when it can then be posted as sales revenue.
I don’t think it’s an accounting issue per se, but whilst the sale and use of voucher may often cross 2 financial years, at least the business can ‘account’ for the cost within the usable period of the voucher. If there was no expiry date then this would become a headache.

taio

Post by taio » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:54 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:47 pm
I don’t think it’s an accounting issue per se, but whilst the sale and use of voucher may often cross 2 financial years, at least the business can ‘account’ for the cost within the usable period of the voucher. If there was no expiry date then this would become a headache.
I think it would sit on the accounts as a liability and would only account for the sale once the voucher is redeemed.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:11 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:43 pm
A voucher encourages the recipient to buy a gift that suits their taste. The in laws always give me a voucher for my favourite ‘fashion’ retailer (obviously pretty high end gear), and I much prefer this to cash as I have an excuse to treat myself to something that I maybe wouldn’t otherwise. And I would rather choose my own clothes than have someone else do so for me.

You could equally ask what is the point of any present when you could give the recipient cash.
Exactly. I don’t mind getting a voucher as gifts for places where I’ll shop and/or want something specific

I’d rather have a voucher to go towards something I want than some tat bought just for the sake of buying it, and if it was “just cash” the chances are it would be spent on “everyday” things

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:40 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:27 am
So you're suggesting the club should've tracked down and contacted the holder (probably rarely the purchaser) of each voucher to check if they have a problem in getting to Turf Moor due to lock-downs and failing to do so reflects badly on them?
Christ know where you got that from from what I said. What I did say is better communication wouldn't go a miss. Also better understanding that we were in a national lockdown and in an area with the highest restrictions in the country almost all the way through for 18months. COMMUNICATION it's wonderful.

Leisure has posted above showing there was correspondence to fans on the website about vouchers but it wasn't very clear and never specified a timescale to the extensions, just that they will be one.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:57 pm

bf2k wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:40 pm
Christ know where you got that from from what I said. What I did say is better communication wouldn't go a miss. Also better understanding that we were in a national lockdown and in an area with the highest restrictions in the country almost all the way through for 18months. COMMUNICATION it's wonderful.

Leisure has posted above showing there was correspondence to fans on the website about vouchers but it wasn't very clear and never specified a timescale to the extensions, just that they will be one.
"Better communication wouldn't go amiss."

You're right there, you do need to work on it.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:20 pm

Much ado about nothing .....While bfc Crazy sits back and enjoys his popcorn. Tight Lines. :D

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:52 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:06 am
I haven't missed any point.
A customer wants special treatment because they failed to deal with this issue in the appropriate time, suddenly demanding it's resolved 9 mths after the voucher originally expired and blaming the business for everything when they should really be looking closer to home.

Chop out the emotions and that's the basics of it.

All businesses are in it for the money and profit, both short and long term.
In regards to customer service issues, from what I can see the customer has failed to contact the business about their issue during the initial 12 mth validity period of the voucher and have waited for an extended period of time after it expired.

I've worked customer service and tbh I wouldn't feel obliged to do anything about this issue due to the timescale involved.
1-2 mths maybe yes I would as a gesture of goodwill, but not 9mths no, it would be considered a **** take.

Maybe the club could've put out a press release when the lockdowns started, but again the onus is on the person in possession of a gift voucher to ensure they use it or to seek an extension if needed.
Most people would look at the bigger picture.

£100.

Or.

Long-standing customer. Wanting to spend money. Will probably spend more to round it up as vouchers don’t give change. Likely has friends, family etc who are all possible fans / customers. Let’s do the morally right thing and honour the voucher and keep a customer happy.

£100. A lot to the working man. **** all to the club. Whether they are legally / contractually right or not.
This user liked this post: Falcon

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:32 pm

bf2k wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:40 pm

And I've asked the Club if a specific time frame was ever given on their website, as I haven't been able to find anything.
This user liked this post: bf2k

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:38 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:52 pm

£100.

Or.

Long-standing customer. Wanting to spend money. Will probably spend more to round it up as vouchers don’t give change. Likely has friends, family etc who are all possible fans / customers. Let’s do the morally right thing and honour the voucher and keep a customer happy.

£100. A lot to the working man. **** all to the club. Whether they are legally / contractually right or not.
The person with the gift card didn't spend the money to purchase it
As I've already said, I'd be more annoyed if I was the person who'd purchased it to find out that the person who'd receives it hadn't bothered to do anything with it.

Honouring something 9mths after its expired wouldn't happen at most businesses, you're all looking at it emotionally and its clouding your view.
Try pulling the same trick at your local Argos and let me know how you get on, I already know the answer, but I'd like to see you try it

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:43 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:38 pm
The person with the gift card didn't spend the money to purchase it
As I've already said, I'd be more annoyed if I was the person who'd purchased it to find out that the person who'd receives it hadn't bothered to do anything with it.

Honouring something 9mths after its expired wouldn't happen at most businesses, you're all looking at it emotionally and its clouding your view.
Try pulling the same trick at your local Argos and let me know how you get on, I already know the answer, but I'd like to see you try it
Whilst your point is valid, from a business point of view, a football club and other big retail chains are not the same thing. Sure, at the end of the day you buy a product from both, but you don't have any sort of loyalty to Argos or other stores like that.

People invest their emotions, time and money into football clubs and they are the heartbeat of lots of communities. Whilst legally the club are of course right in not honouring these vouchers, it's not fair to say people are getting clouded emotionally, because, they are going to, and that's what keeps people going back. If this was honoured, this would then mend the potential broken relationship and maybe make the OP spend more money and spread the information to other people who could then become supporters of the club, who then may go on to cause more supporters down the line, either through their kids or partners etc. That, in the long run, outweighs a small amount of money in a voucher, it could generate thousands for the club.
This user liked this post: bobinho

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:44 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:43 pm

Disagree, not the same as a gift at all. Transferring money into not money and tied to outlet… and no more thought than cash which is universal.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:50 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:58 am
Vouchers for asda or argos or something are a bit naff, but vouchers for other stores can be nice to have.
I have two friends who spend all year unable to justify buying something nice just for themselves - any surplus cash just gets swallowed up by the house and kids, so they fully appreciate a Next voucher where they can go and spend £50 just on themselves without feeling that they're wasting money.
I absolutely agree with this.

If I ever get a bit of money for Xmas or a birthday, it will always end up going on petrol, or food shopping, or on the kids.

If I get vouchers, I put them to one side and will use them throughout the year whenever I need the odd t-shirt etc.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:52 pm

ClaretAndJew nails it.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:08 pm

Some people wonder why this forums gone to the dogs, somebody’s spent some money in good faith he’s probably wrong in the grand scheme of things & naive, it wouldn’t cost the earth for the club to put right in the grand scheme of things & before precedents are mentioned it’s extremely unusual virus lockdowns we aren’t expecting the same anytime soon the floodgates are well & truly shut.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:22 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:52 pm

£100.

Or.

You know what I ended up buying and even without vouchers it would have been bought (as it was) I would have probably spent another £100 though on top of that if I wasn’t as annoyed with the voucher thing in just this visit.

I know for a fact the club have lost out on around £500 of my money on stuff from the club shop this season alone due to this. My fault or not as people are arguing above, it would have been the decent thing to do for a fan of a club who until recently felt like they’d actually try and help rather than make it harder to do things with them.
This user liked this post: dsr

taio

Post by taio » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:33 pm

It's pretty irrelevant who purchased and who received the voucher.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Falcon

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:41 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:43 pm
Whilst your point is valid, from a business point of view, a football club and other big retail chains are not the same thing. Sure, at the end of the day you buy a product from both, but you don't have any sort of loyalty to Argos or other stores like that.

People invest their emotions, time and money into football clubs and they are the heartbeat of lots of communities. Whilst legally the club are of course right in not honouring these vouchers, it's not fair to say people are getting clouded emotionally, because, they are going to, and that's what keeps people going back. If this was honoured, this would then mend the potential broken relationship and maybe make the OP spend more money and spread the information to other people who could then become supporters of the club, who then may go on to cause more supporters down the line, either through their kids or partners etc. That, in the long run, outweighs a small amount of money in a voucher, it could generate thousands for the club.
Football fans come and go, they don't show the same loyalty throughout their lifetime, that's proven by the drop/rise in attendances dependant on the league a club is in.
They invest their emotions and time when they feel the club is at an appropriate level for them to justify it, apart from a small hardcore group, which at Burnley is 6k or so isn't it from the Coyle promotion season ticket offer?

I understand how it works in regards to word of mouth etc, but if the OP runs around telling everyone how he still managed to spend money 9mths after the gift card expired that just means others could do the same.
A one off goodwill gesture then has to become the norm and that's not really right, it makes it pointless having expiry dates on gift cards.

It won't generate thousands, people will spend or not regardless of the OP and even the OP will eventually untangle his knickers and spend again at some point.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:44 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:41 pm
Football fans come and go, they don't show the same loyalty throughout their lifetime, that's proven by the drop/rise in attendances dependant on the league a club is in.
They invest their emotions and time when they feel the club is at an appropriate level for them to justify it, apart from a small hardcore group, which at Burnley is 6k or so isn't it from the Coyle promotion season ticket offer?

I understand how it works in regards to word of mouth etc, but if the OP runs around telling everyone how he still managed to spend money 9mths after the gift card expired that just means others could do the same.
A one off goodwill gesture then has to become the norm and that's not really right, it makes it pointless having expiry dates on gift cards.

It won't generate thousands, people will spend or not regardless of the OP and even the OP will eventually untangle his knickers and spend again at some point.
Give it a rest love.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:51 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:

Had a ST for about 25 years (I’m 32) until this season when I’ve moved away from the area …… the loyalty has always been there.

Chill out :lol:

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:31 pm

bfccrazy wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:51 pm
Had a ST for about 25 years (I’m 32) until this season when I’ve moved away from the area …… the loyalty has always been there.

Chill out :lol:
You've had a hard paper round... 8-)

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:35 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:31 pm
You've had a hard paper round... 8-)
Paper round was easy - following Burnley about for 2 and half decades wasn't :lol:

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:56 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Football fans come and go, they don't show the same loyalty throughout their lifetime…
We know - you used to be a Liverpool fan.

(Sorry, couldn’t resist :D)

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:37 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:56 pm
We know - you used to be a Liverpool fan.

(Sorry, couldn’t resist :D)
It's fine, I know I opened myself up for that one :lol:
I'm not the only person to switch allegiances, I won't be the last either :lol:
This user liked this post: BurnleyFC

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:48 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:37 pm
It's fine, I know I opened myself up for that one :lol:
I'm not the only person to switch allegiances, I won't be the last either :lol:
Its not as easy switching allegiances as people think. I switched to Man Utd in the 90s and it just didnt work out so i changed back to Burnley.

It used to be easy supporting both Leeds and Burnley but now they are in the same division its really difficult and if this season they are both fighting for 17th spot to stay up im not sure what I'll do

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:54 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:48 pm
Its not as easy switching allegiances as people think. I switched to Man Utd in the 90s and it just didnt work out so i changed back to Burnley.

It used to be easy supporting both Leeds and Burnley but now they are in the same division its really difficult and if this season they are both fighting for 17th spot to stay up im not sure what I'll do
No Nay Never. FFs!

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:09 am

The club are advertising for a Sales Assistant in the Club Shop...Minimum Wage

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:15 am

randomclaret2 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:09 am
The club are advertising for a Sales Assistant in the Club Shop...Minimum Wage
What is the normal wage for someone working in a shop ?