Anyone speak French? - Maxwel Cornet instagram story

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MarkGreen
Been Liked: 479 times
Has Liked: 136 times

Anyone speak French? - Maxwel Cornet instagram story

Post by MarkGreen » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:44 am

Can anyone translate his story? :lol: Mentions Burnley it seems and is filmed walking out of Barnfield training ground. Not sure if he is talking about his injury as the cameraman keeps panning down to his leg/hamstring.

https://www.instagram.com/cornetmaxwel/

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Re: Anyone speak French? - Maxwel Cornet instagram story

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:51 am

Non comprendez

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:01 am

Mange Toute Rodders Mange Toute

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:43 am

Ne pas en le grass

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 473 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:07 pm

Touchez et allez

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:24 pm

Yes would be interesting to know what he’s saying.

kipp
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by kipp » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:19 pm

Please do not quote me on this as being 100% but using the google transcribe it roughly came out as .
the first video he asked him how the session went today
maxwell response is very low but it came out as its good news from assurance !

The other videos basicaly say there going home and going to look for furniture for there house

Anyone can try it if you play the video on a pc and use your phone to translate the audio

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:43 pm

I learnt some touristy French for a visit to Paris. I was so good that I managed to book a Bed & Breakfast on the phone in French. Like scoring a goal it was and it gave me confidence that when I got to France I'd be OK.

I went into a shop and said 'Bonjour Monsieur, vous avez des sandwich s'il vous plait'. Instead of responding with 'ah oui Monsieur, avec jambon, fromage' (with ham or cheese) he gurgled some words I couldn't understand. I ended up with une pomme - an apple!

Later I wanted to phone my mate (I had one then) who was staying in a posh hotel. I got through to that hotel's switchboard and asked in French to speak to M. whatever his name was and the operator said in perfect english, 'would you prefer to speak english'! I gave up.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 430 times
Has Liked: 4571 times

Post by MT03ALG » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:59 pm

Mais oui, je parle bien le francais mais je ne fais pas Instagram !!

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:09 pm

Hipper wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:43 pm
I learnt some touristy French for a visit to Paris. I was so good that I managed to book a Bed & Breakfast on the phone in French. Like scoring a goal it was and it gave me confidence that when I got to France I'd be OK.

I went into a shop and said 'Bonjour Monsieur, vous avez des sandwich s'il vous plait'. Instead of responding with 'ah oui Monsieur, avec jambon, fromage' (with ham or cheese) he gurgled some words I couldn't understand. I ended up with une pomme - an apple!

Later I wanted to phone my mate (I had one then) who was staying in a posh hotel. I got through to that hotel's switchboard and asked in French to speak to M. whatever his name was and the operator said in perfect english, 'would you prefer to speak english'! I gave up.
My wife and used to have a Caravan and we had a fortnight touring in Northern France back in the late 90's ... we were staying on a campsite in Brittany and went down to a local hostelry I ordered a couple of Beers in my worst Schoolboy French "Deux bier Sil-vout-plait" the Barman smiled as I said "un grande pour mois et une piccollo pour ma femme " he said "I do speak English sir, but very well done for trying as so many tourists do not and treat us as idiots" ... he served our Beer and we enjoyed a delicious meal in the Restaurant.

We returned the following night and beers appeared as if by magic by a beaming Barman with a thumbs up gesture ... needless to say a good tip was left that evening

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Post by Pickles » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:31 pm

I've asked my French friend to quickly translate it.

Cornet's mate
How was your session today?

Cornet
Good it was a care session, some good news, I should be back soon.

Cornet's mate
What are your plans for today?

Cornet
Finding a house, buy furniture and rest.

Cornet's mate
Little comment - no need to water the pitches here huh?

Cornet
Indeed, the weather takes care of it.

Cornet's mate
I think we're going to go home sooner because of that.

Cornet
Oh come on, no.
These 2 users liked this post: PaintYorkClaretnBlue kazza

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5563 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:34 pm

Ou est la plage?

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2604 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:39 pm

What's French for "the banter is Merde on this thread?"

Good work Pickles in providing decent insight.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:06 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:09 pm
My wife and used to have a Caravan and we had a fortnight touring in Northern France back in the late 90's ... we were staying on a campsite in Brittany and went down to a local hostelry I ordered a couple of Beers in my worst Schoolboy French "Deux bier Sil-vout-plait" the Barman smiled as I said "un grande pour mois et une piccollo pour ma femme " he said "I do speak English sir, but very well done for trying as so many tourists do not and treat us as idiots" ... he served our Beer and we enjoyed a delicious meal in the Restaurant.

We returned the following night and beers appeared as if by magic by a beaming Barman with a thumbs up gesture ... needless to say a good tip was left that evening
😂😂

Hope you also said it in a very loud voice, as if he were hard of hearing? 🤭

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:14 pm

Hipper wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:43 pm

I'm not that good but I do try at least to ask them in their native tongue whether they speak English. In Munich, on return from one of our pre-seasons in Austria, I called in a shop and said: "Guten Morgen. Sprechen Sie Englisch bitte?" It doesn't help when the one word reply is: "Nein."

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8743 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:29 pm

I ordered a chicken, 3 chips and no sauce, today, in Spain and in Spanish.

All good except I had no idea about the response about do you want this or that etc!

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:31 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:06 pm
😂😂

Hope you also said it in a very loud voice, as if he were hard of hearing? 🤭
😂😂 thats exactly what he was on about
👍🤭👍 the idiots abroad with the old "Oi Garcon" shouty attitude

kazza
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 127 times

Post by kazza » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:31 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:29 pm

All good except I had no idea about the response about do you want this or that etc!
I was in Spain a few years ago and thought I'd show off and order in Spanish.

I ordered a burger with chips, but the burger already came with chips, so I ended up with a big plate consisting of a burger, chips and salad, and next to it another plate of bloody chips.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by SalouClaret » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:33 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:29 pm

Why did you only order 3 chips? I'd have been starving :mrgreen:
This user liked this post: IanMcL

TomMcGibbon
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by TomMcGibbon » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:36 pm

The only French I know is -
aide de taxi m'emmener à l'ambassade britannique
(taxi help take me to the British embassy)
And -
elle ne m'a pas dit qu'elle était mariée
(she did not tell me she was married)

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8743 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:37 pm

Bosscat wrote:

He was from Bolton!

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:00 pm

Bosscat wrote:
...I ordered a couple of Beers in my worst Schoolboy French "Deux bier Sil-vout-plait" the Barman smiled as I said "un grande pour mois et une piccollo pour ma femme " he said "I do speak English sir, but very well done for trying as so many tourists do not and treat us as idiots" ... he served our Beer and we enjoyed a delicious meal in the Restaurant.
I think that applies most everywhere. Just-speaking-slowly-in-English-especially-in-a-LOUD-voice is misunderstood/ignored as a matter of course, but granting the locals the courtesy of trying to speak in their language, no matter how abysmally will get everyone trying to help. Despite being well travelled, both the wife and I are dreadful with foreign languages, but we always arrive everywhere knowing the basics (Yes/No/Please/Thank you/Hello/Goodbye/Two Beers) and nowadays with Google to search there's no reason not to be able to.
i think our best experience was going into Albania and knowing the basics - nobody but the Albanians speaks Albanian - where our efforts earned us the cost of just about every beer that we ordered and a couple of free meals too.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:22 pm

TomMcGibbon wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:36 pm
The only French I know is -
aide de taxi m'emmener à l'ambassade britannique
(taxi help take me to the British embassy)
And -
elle ne m'a pas dit qu'elle était mariée
(she did not tell me she was married)
On one of my first trips abroad on a motorbike I went with a guy whose only French beyond Oui and Non, was the phrase '**** you mate I'm fireproof'. I've no recollection of how it was said in French, nor how he'd come to know it in the first place, but caused a lot of amusement for both ourselves and the locals.

On another bike trip a few years later, I mentioned to another friend how I found Dutch the hardest of languages to get a handle on as they all spoke such good English, so to assist he taught me (or so I thought) to say ' sorry, I only speak English' - vergeef, ich bin Ingles halla fa zoll (phonetic - no idea how it should be written) and it was three days before i discovered that I was saying: "Sorry, but I'm an English half-wit".
That and 'hod-verdomer' are still the only Dutch that I know

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:32 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:22 pm
On one of my first trips abroad on a motorbike I went with a guy whose only French beyond Oui and Non, was the phrase '**** you mate I'm fireproof'. I've no recollection of how it was said in French, nor how he'd come to know it in the first place, but caused a lot of amusement for both ourselves and the locals.

On another bike trip a few years later, I mentioned to another friend how I found Dutch the hardest of languages to get a handle on as they all spoke such good English, so to assist he taught me (or so I thought) to say ' sorry, I only speak English' - vergeef, ich bin Ingles halla fa zoll (phonetic - no idea how it should be written) and it was three days before i discovered that I was saying: "Sorry, but I'm an English half-wit".
That and 'hod-verdomer' are still the only Dutch that I know
My mates in the Army used to get off on telling newbies in Germany to drive to "Ausfahrt" and pick something up from the shop for them ...

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Post by Walton » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:28 pm

I was once caught out with unseasonably early hay fever when on the Champs Elysee. Sought out a pharmacy down a back street, and tried my very best to remember my GCSE French to ask for tablets to treat rhinitis. I was well pleased with myself, thinking I'd nailed it, in a perfect French accent.

Pharmacist replied back, in broad Geordie 'what's gannin on pal, you got hay fever?'

How on earth had I found a bloody Geordie pharmacist in deepest Paris?

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:50 am

It’s been a while since my F in GCSE french but i will give it a bash.

CORNETS PAL- How’s you doing cock?

CORNET- Not bad fella, just off t’turf to collect some boots.

CORNETS PAL- new sponsor?

CORNET- No cock, Baz the kit man has found Jean-Louis Valois old Adidas world cups and I’ve got to try those legendary boots on

CORNETS PAL- bloody hell he had a sweet touch. What you up to this aft?

CORNETS PAL- well I’m gutted the black pudding shop at market has shut. Il settle for a corn beef pasty from oddies
This user liked this post: TheFamilyCat

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:11 am

Inchy wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:50 am
It’s been a while since my F in GCSE french but i will give it a bash.

CORNETS PAL- How’s you doing cock?

CORNET- Not bad fella, just off t’turf to collect some boots.

CORNETS PAL- new sponsor?

CORNET- No cock, Baz the kit man has found Jean-Louis Valois old Adidas world cups and I’ve got to try those legendary boots on

CORNETS PAL- bloody hell he had a sweet touch. What you up to this aft?

CORNETS PAL- well I’m gutted the black pudding shop at market has shut. Il settle for a corn beef pasty from oddies

You have made this up...... Cornet has bigger feet than Valois