How Would We Feel if the Saudis Took Over Burnley?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Re: How Would We Feel if the Saudis Took Over Burnley?

Post by KRBFC » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:18 am

houseboy wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:50 pm
Utter nonsense. You might not have standards but others have. I hate the PL and I hate what billionaire criminals are doing to a sport I love. I would not ‘secretly’ or otherwise be happy. I would walk away from the club I have supported and loved all my life if people like that took charge. I would rather relegation than be kept in the PL by buying our survival. Sorry if that upsets your view of what people are like.
Most countries have human rights issues, wether you're the UK bombing children in Syria, Saudis with their anti gay/women stuff or America with the deep rooted racism problem. The corruption issues in Africa, the cartel owned Mexico.

Does anybody here not watch the boxing shows in America as a stand against the racism/police brutality?
Saudi Arabia have invested significantly into horse racing, people still watch.
Anthony Joshua recently boxed in Saudi Arabia, people bought the PPV and watched the fight.
The UK government invests significantly into tennis, do you refuse to watch that too in protest against bombs dropped on Syrian children?

I don't quite understand the ''Saudis are scumbags'' approach while acting like the UK government are saints when both go hand in hand, the UK arms the Saudis.
This user liked this post: CFS

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:49 am

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:18 am
Most countries have human rights issues, wether you're the UK bombing children in Syria, Saudis with their anti gay/women stuff or America with the deep rooted racism problem. The corruption issues in Africa, the cartel owned Mexico.

Does anybody here not watch the boxing shows in America as a stand against the racism/police brutality?
Anthony Joshua recently boxed in Saudi Arabia, people bought the PPV and watched the fight.
The UK government invests significantly into tennis, do you refuse to watch that too in protest against bombs dropped on Syrian children?

I don't quite understand the ''Saudis are scumbags'' approach while acting like the UK government are saints when both go hand in hand, the UK arms the Saudis.
You've got a nerve preaching about racism and prejudice after some of the comments you've made on here over the years.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:53 am

fidelcastro wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:49 am
You've got a nerve preaching about racism and prejudice after some of the comments you've made on here over the years.
So you've said 3000 times...

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:21 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:34 pm
its all becoming so abstract, do we stop test matches in cricket ? no, we don't . Who are our opponents?
If its New Zealand then its nice and comfy, same with the ashes and the Australians.
But If recent events in Afghanistan are to be taken as accurate the Pakistan are harbouring known terrorists, they train them and their political regime is barbaric. It matters not.
So why should the spotlight fall on football, name a country that does not have a tainted reputation.
But this isn't a case of Newcastle United playing against Suadi Arabia in a game of football.

It's about the Saudi state taking over and using Newcastle for their own selfish gain. They're using a well established club which gets a lot of exposure around the world to try and clean up their (justifiably) disgusting image.

Newcastle and their fans are being used. Some can see it and want absolutely nothing to do with it, and I don't blame them. I wouldn't want any part in it either.

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:30 am

Lord_Bob wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:54 am
Personally, I would like to think that my moral compass was strong enough that it would be the end for me. Hopefully I will never have to find out.

The whole thing just emphasizes the point that the PL is just a rich man's toy. We simply can't compete. We are in a competition that we can't win. We survive the only way we can - team work ethic, 4-4-2, second balls and beating teams around us. With so many rich teams around us now, that is getting harder and harder, and, let's be honest it can be hard to watch at times, but what else can you do in a league like this? No wonder crowds are dropping.

I look at Accy and think THAT would be a good day out - building club who seem to care about football, no VAR, both sets of fans having a beer together and enjoying a good day at the footy. If it did happen, I might have to become a Stanley man.
Plastic fan.

CFS

Post by CFS » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:32 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:21 am
But this isn't a case of Newcastle United playing against Suadi Arabia in a game of football.

It's about the Saudi state taking over and using Newcastle for their own selfish gain. They're using a well established club which gets a lot of exposure around the world to try and clean up their (justifiably) disgusting image.

Newcastle and their fans are being used. Some can see it and want absolutely nothing to do with it, and I don't blame them. I wouldn't want any part in it either.
Plastic fan.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:25 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:58 pm
“Many stopping attending” it’s almost guaranteed the gates will soar if success follows expected investment people are staying away because expectations are underwhelming, exactly the opposite from what you’ve stated will happen if results improve & the club are perceived to be going places & challenging amongst the elite, the geordie fanbase are about to start the dreamland experience that’s been deprived for a such a long time. Other clubs are bitter & critical because it’s happening to them & not us or others.
Taken me a couple of days to reply to this reply to my earlier post.

Agree attendances will go through the roof, but it won’t be the same fans - an unknown number will stop attending out of disgust, its just that many more will replace them, glory hunters who don’t care about being owned by what many say is a genocidal regime, they just want a day out and glory.

I just feel sorry for those fans who are compelled to stop attending despite it being their lifeblood, and for those who carry on but are holding their nose and feeling disgusted with themselves.
These 2 users liked this post: nil_desperandum tiger76

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:18 am

Damo wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:01 am
Good for you.
Again, that's a really easy standpoint in a hypothetical situation.
Out of faux interest, would you walk away from football, or would you go and support a more ethically sourced team?
I would probably walk away from the PL initially and maybe spend more time watching Stanley (which I do occasionally anyway). I still love the game, it’s the money oriented way its developed, it’s the foreign (often criminal) investors, it’s the my dcks bigger than yours attitude, it’s the ‘best league in the world’ bullshit and the constant pushing of ‘the brand’ that gets up my nose.
I want Burnley to be in the ‘top division’, of course I do, but unfortunately that means being in the bloody awful PL, which is why I wouldn’t lose a minutes sleep if we ever get relegated.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:27 am

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:18 am

The fact you have quoted me before your post forces me to respond as I think you slightly misunderstood where I was coming from. When I referred to ‘criminals’ I wasn’t specifically talking about human rights but about where some of this invested money has come from. Abramovich at Chelsea has come under some scrutiny as to how he acquired his wealth has he not?
Of course we are all guilty of double standards at times as you rightly point out, but my gripe is, and always has been, about the way money seems to be slowly strangling the game.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:39 am

houseboy wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:27 am
The fact you have quoted me before your post forces me to respond as I think you slightly misunderstood where I was coming from. When I referred to ‘criminals’ I wasn’t specifically talking about human rights but about where some of this invested money has come from. Abramovich at Chelsea has come under some scrutiny as to how he acquired his wealth has he not?
Of course we are all guilty of double standards at times as you rightly point out, but my gripe is, and always has been, about the way money seems to be slowly strangling the game.
I read the book Putin’s People and the implication of that is that oligarchs are only allowed to keep their wealth by the will of Putin, there are instances of oligarchs having their billions removed and them thrown in prison. They are viewed as temporary custodians of their wealth by many in Russia. So the question of who really controls Chelsea is a valid one, as it will be Newcastle.

CFS

Post by CFS » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:22 am

Plastic fan for not going on because of our hoofball but not a plastic if I walked away because of a type of owner looool

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:44 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:39 am
I read the book Putin’s People and the implication of that is that oligarchs are only allowed to keep their wealth by the will of Putin, there are instances of oligarchs having their billions removed and them thrown in prison. They are viewed as temporary custodians of their wealth by many in Russia. So the question of who really controls Chelsea is a valid one, as it will be Newcastle.
Exactly. And Newcastle’s new owners have apparently been cleared of having anything to do with the state. I think time will tell.

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:34 pm

I haven’t read all of this thread so apologies if already mentioned, but many engineering firms in the north west are grateful that the Saudi’s spent millions buying arms from Britain.

Certainly helped put food on my table.

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:36 pm

icu81b4 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:34 pm
I haven’t read all of this thread so apologies if already mentioned, but many engineering firms in the north west are grateful that the Saudi’s spent millions buying arms from Britain.

Certainly helped put food on my table.
So I’d be a hypocrite to complain.

…..
I tried to edit my post above but couldn’t, has that function been removed, I thought I’d been able to do that previously.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:49 pm

Knowing our luck we'd end up with the Afghanistan poppy crop Taliban investment fund, which no doubt would easily pass the FPP test if certain monies were diverted to certain accounts.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:17 pm

I’m happy with our new owners. Lets just focus on what they do instead of what might have been with others. Pointless thread. UTC!