Advice - Lake Garda

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Codger
Been Liked: 2 times

Advice - Lake Garda

Post by Codger » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:57 pm

Given that the UTC forum never fails to provide the best advice available I thought I would ask for some travel advice here. Like many others, I have resisted any attempts to travel abroad for quite a while but I'd like to think that it will get much easier maybe next spring. For a while now I have quite liked the idea of visiting Lake Garda and I am sure many on her must have some suggestions about the better towns/hotels at which to stay.

My priorities would be, in no particular order 1) Peace and quiet 2) Scenery nearby 3) Short walks 4) A quiet bar or two in the evenings.

Does anyone have any views/experiences that might help, and if so let me please say thank you in advance to you rather than post a "thank you" every 2 or 3 responses?

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Re: Advice - Lake Garda

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:02 pm

I really enjoyed our trip to Lake Garda when Burnley FC you went there in preseason. We stayed in Desenzano del Garda, which if you’re looking for it on a map, can be found on the edge of the left testicle!!

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:02 pm

Went to Milan a few years back. Garda and Como were on the list but never happened. Some nice peaceful bars around the canals to spend the evening. Quite a peaceful city all round imo. Could be a good base camp to spend a couple of night when you arrive and before you leave.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:03 pm

One of the main attractions of the area was the absolutely fantastic real connection with the major towns and cities in the near vicinity, such as Varona, Milan and Florence.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:11 pm

Beautiful choice Codger, I went years and years ago, stayed at Riva-del-Garda which is right at the top of the lake. For the pre-season in 2006 we stayed in Desenzano which is on the left bollock at the bottom. I wouldn't consider Desenzano though, it's more of a town than some of the small places around the lake although is just one short boat trip from Sirmione.

I don't think you can go far wrong although there will be people on this board with a lot more to offer than I can.

eastanglianclaret
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by eastanglianclaret » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:28 pm

Me n' Mrs EAC spent a fabulous week in Sirmione, towards the tip of the peninsula . I think that this lovely village would tick all your boxes. We also really liked Bardolino, Malcesine and Limone. We went around the end of the season and hired a car which was really useful, the roads were quiet then. We were however told by the locals that car hire in the summertime is a waste of time because the roads are jammed.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:33 pm

Used to visit Riva del Garda twice a year with work - once in January and once in June. Very hot in June and busy with local holiday makers. Cold but still very pretty in January with stunning views of the scenery. Plenty of bars, restaurants and ice cream parlours. We used to fly into Bergamo and then drive for around an hour and a half to get there.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:35 pm

eastanglianclaret wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:28 pm
Me n' Mrs EAC spent a fabulous week in Sirmione, towards the tip of the peninsula . I think that this lovely village would tick all your boxes. We also really liked Bardolino, Malcesine and Limone. We went around the end of the season and hired a car which was really useful, the roads were quiet then. We were however told by the locals that car hire in the summertime is a waste of time because the roads are jammed.
I think the roads in Limone were used for some scenes in James Bond where there is a car chase in tunnels through the mountains.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2013 times
Has Liked: 2913 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:49 pm

Less we’ll known… Make sure you peak into the backstreets if you like spectacles, the locals are responsible for about 60% of the top designer glasses brands.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:55 pm

Limone near the top of the lake is lovely, with the mountains, plenty to visit by ferry
Simione at the opposite end of the lake is as lovely, a bit more touristy, but again great places to visit via ferry, but also in reach of Venice and verona for day trips

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:02 pm

Codger wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:57 pm
Given that the UTC forum never fails to provide the best advice available I thought I would ask for some travel advice here. Like many others, I have resisted any attempts to travel abroad for quite a while but I'd like to think that it will get much easier maybe next spring. For a while now I have quite liked the idea of visiting Lake Garda and I am sure many on her must have some suggestions about the better towns/hotels at which to stay.

My priorities would be, in no particular order 1) Peace and quiet 2) Scenery nearby 3) Short walks 4) A quiet bar or two in the evenings.

Does anyone have any views/experiences that might help, and if so let me please say thank you in advance to you rather than post a "thank you" every 2 or 3 responses?

the selfishness of some people never seems to amaze me.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:03 pm

Stay anywhere, it's beautiful!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:09 pm

How could you not like Sirmione

0224 Sirmione.JPG
0224 Sirmione.JPG (771.96 KiB) Viewed 5406 times
0235 Sirmione.JPG
0235 Sirmione.JPG (832.45 KiB) Viewed 5406 times
0240 Sirmione.JPG
0240 Sirmione.JPG (814.17 KiB) Viewed 5406 times
0242 Sirmione.JPG
0242 Sirmione.JPG (859.49 KiB) Viewed 5406 times

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:11 pm

Had two weeks in Simione, loved it
Had two weeks in limone, loved it

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:13 pm

Grumps wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:11 pm
Had two weeks in Simione, loved it
Had two weeks in limone, loved it
We only had a few hours in Sirmione from Desenzano to Bardalino for the first game. Only time I've travelled by boat to an away match.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:18 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:13 pm
We only had a few hours in Sirmione from Desenzano to Bardalino for the first game. Only time I've travelled by boat to an away match.
It's lovely at night, when all the tourists have gone :lol: , the streets are quieter as are the bars and restaurants

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3347 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:18 pm

I've stayed in both Malcesine and Limone and loved both, but maybe Limone more. The places towards the top (narrower) end of the lake are preferable to the ones at the bottom (fat) end imo, but with the water ferry darting about on a fairly regular basis if you're there any length of time you can easily visit lots of the lakeside towns anyway. It's actually lovely and visiting Vernona (which you may well fly into anyway) is very doable and also worth it.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:20 pm

Reason we stayed in Desenzano was to allow us to get to such as Verona and Milan for the day, Desenzano being on the main train line. But if planning to stay around Garda then there are much nicer places to go.

eastanglianclaret
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by eastanglianclaret » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:21 pm

Lake Garda 2016 039.jpg
Lake Garda 2016 039.jpg (141.48 KiB) Viewed 5361 times
You can even get BFC pasta in Sirmione!!
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Guitargeorge
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by Guitargeorge » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:21 pm

Riva is pretty big in comparison to most places, but has great squares and is nearer the mountains and there are good walks in the area. Limone is a bit hemmed in by steep mountains, but is a lovely place to visit. Mal he sine is a good spot on the Eastern shore, with a good cable car ride up the mountain

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:26 pm

My daughter was married in Malcesine and our family all returned there 10 years later because we loved it so much. For both visits we stayed in a delightful villa with an infinity pool overlooking the lake.

Http://www.villamalcesine.it/video-en.html/#

Highly recommended.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:26 pm

I’ve been a few times to Lake Garda. It is stunning and you’ll love it. My favourite place to stay is Bardolino as it’s pedestrianised, full of restaurants and within walking distance of Garda so two resorts in one. For you, it sounds like Lazise would be the best. It’s very picturesque and much quieter than most other places but still has plenty of restaurants and bars. The ferries to other resorts are not as frequent as the busier places but you’ll still get to visit several places. If you want less crowds on the Lake avoid June July and August. I’d avoid Pescara and Desenzano as they have a lot of traffic. Sirmione is packed during the day. Riva , Limone and Malcesine are at the North of the Lake - south is better. Verona is worth a day trip and Venice can be reached by train from Verona easily.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:41 pm

IWOODLOVETT wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:26 pm
My daughter was married in Malcesine and our family all returned there 10 years later because we loved it so much. For both visits we stayed in a delightful villa with an infinity pool overlooking the lake.

Http://www.villamalcesine.it/video-en.html/#

Highly recommended.

My brother went to a wedding a few years ago, I'm sure it was Malcesine.

IWOODLOVETT

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:46 pm

I agree Verona is well worth a visit. I was not a fan of opera but was persuaded to go to a night-time, open air performance of Aida, which was absolutely fantastic and I was bowled over by the experience.

IWOODLOVETT

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:49 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:41 pm
My brother went to a wedding a few years ago, I'm sure it was Malcesine.
Our wedding was in 2007 Tony. It was conducted (in Italian) in the castle that dominates the town.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:56 pm

Stayed in Bardolino about 10 years ago which was lovely. Short distance from Garda and as the lakeside is pedestrianised, and obviously flat, it was great hiring bikes from the hotel and cycling leisurely from place to place having a few drinks on the way. Also the origin of the wine bearing the same name which is a nice easy drinking red, readily available and at a good price.

Belial
Been Liked: 382 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:21 pm

Sirmione was great when we stayed there a few years ago. Bit of a ballache to get to as we travelled on a Sunday which also just so happened to be a day when the rail service went in strike. We managed to get there via Brescia.... Which reminded me of Rochdale...so I'd avoid that place if I were you

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:40 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:13 pm
I’ve travelled to The Valley by boat before the Championship finale. Lake Garda slightly nicer scenery than Woolwich I bet?!!

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:14 pm

Codger wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:57 pm

Hi Codger, been to the lake hundreds of times and pretty much seen it all. Based on your username and your priorities, I'm guessing you want something stress-free and very relaxing; nothing big, no noisey places and somewhere for walking.

Most of the places already mentioned on here are decent sized lakeside towns and are very popular with tourists and can get crowded especially between late June & early Sept, Desenzano, Sirmione, Peschiera, Malcesine, Limone, Garda Town, Bardolino. Others include Salo, Riva del Grada & Padenghe. These are the sort of places that have hundreds of bars & places to eat in all cramped in small streets alongside shops. They are nice in the Spring & Autumn when just the locals are around & there's no foreign invasion, & are very pretty and all worth a visit, but in the height of Summer just full of people & crammed.

I would suggest a couple of places that are small & have no real centres but they do have bars & restaurants at night along the lake and are very peaceful. Monte Baldo is behind you too, a great area for walking but it is steep at times. The problem with walking in this area is the steepness because the mountain hovers over the whole of that Eastern side so not easy walking but in Malcesine there is the cable car to get you higher up to start walks. Here is the website for the cable car in Malcesine, just change the language to English obviously: https://funiviedelbaldo.it/it/

- Castelletto di Brenzone is a very simple little area where there's a couple of bars & restaurants & the water is stunningly clear and fresh. Check out Google for some photos. Brenzone sul Garda too just a bit further up with a bit more life but not much. This area is also lined with cycle paths & pavements so you can walk up & down without problems
- Torri del Benaco is a little bigger than Brenzone but not as big as the more famous places so a little more life but not too crowded. It's also a little closer to Garda Town & Bardolino if you find you want something a little bigger to see.

I would stay away from that part of Desenzano, Salo, the South-Western corner as it's very busy even during the off-peak seasons with people from Brescia & surrounding areas regularly going there at the weekends.They are decent party towns. The rest in that area are pretty relaxed; Sirmione & Peschiera and there just to the South you have lots of history about the wars in the unification of Italy and lots of hilly areas, nice for walking in the Moreniche Hills but you will need a car to reach these walking destinations.

Out of the bigger places I like: Sirmione is lovely; Limone is lovely; Garda town is good; Bardolino & Lasize next to each other are both great places full of bars & restaurants & can be walked to but it's a decent 5k walk along the lakeside. And the ones smaller ones mentioned above.

Finally, I advise you, and everyone looking to visit, to look at this website for all things Northern Italy www.rossiwrites.com.
A wonderful blog with hundreds of articles & tips for every kind of visitor in all the main places in the North of Italy so VERONA, THE LAKES, VENICE, VICENZA etc. Again just do a search on the site & it'll bring up all the articles related to that search.

What's your plan for travel? There are buses for local travel and there are the boats to get to others places further away on the lake. No trains apart from the Southern towns of Desenzano & Peschiera that obviously link you to the cities of Verona, Milan, Brescia, etc.

Hope that helps!
These 4 users liked this post: ClaretTony Aclaret dougcollins bobinho

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:55 pm

IWOODLOVETT wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:49 pm
Our wedding was in 2007 Tony. It was conducted (in Italian) in the castle that dominates the town.
The one my brother went to was in a castle but was not as long ago as 2007.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:09 pm

My personal preference is for Como. Quieter but some lovely places to visit including Ballagio, Como, Menaggio - the list goes on.

Stunning views, especially in Spring when you should get snow on the tops.

Enjoy !
This user liked this post: dougcollins

claret2018
Been Liked: 819 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:14 pm

Would love to go to the Lakes and Milan. Have done Southern Italy and wasn’t a fan really, but like the look of the north very much

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by Aclaret » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:24 pm

Well done Diamondpocket....even for us not going to Lake Garda that was a good read.
These 2 users liked this post: diamondpocket bobinho

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:53 pm

If you want peace and quiet, definitely Lake Como.

Foreverly Claret
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by Foreverly Claret » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:25 pm

We stayed at Desenzano which is a good base for travelling round the lake and on the main railway line from Milan in the west to Venice , Padova and Verona to the east .When I was there the train services were very good indeed..plentiful and cheap and I remember going to Venice and when you come out of the station the canal is only yards away .Our only disappointment was that we went around the end of October and the main ferry service from Desenzano going all the way up to Riva etc closed on the 31st so any ferry trips we had started from the eastern side of the lake .Bus services good and cheap too with plenty of eateries in the town.You'll love it.

Goalposts
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:26 pm

Stopped in peschiara when i visited, at a golf resort on the edge of town… excellent for the train to Verona and Venice just over an hour away,,, the towns round the lake are excellent and all offer a slightly different feel.. pretty much cant go wrong

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:22 am

claret2018 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:14 pm
Would love to go to the Lakes and Milan. Have done Southern Italy and wasn’t a fan really, but like the look of the north very much
Funny really as i adore the South and not that much of a fan of the people from the North .
This user liked this post: dougcollins

diamondpocket

Post by diamondpocket » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:16 pm

With the size of Italy, the generalisations on this topic about liking people from certain parts & not really is rubbish unless you've been all over the place many times over.
At least, comment on where you've been & what city/area it whats. From Napoli which is fair far South to Reggio Calabria right at the bottom is over 500km & that's just a bit of the South. Add In Sicily, Puglia & the central regions. The North spans from Torino in the West to Trieste in the East down to Bologna and The Italian Pennines!!
What about the central lot? Come on!

bobinho
Been Liked: 4108 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:36 pm

Love Italy, absolutely love it.

Stayed at Garda town myself during a weeks holiday at the lake but walked down to Bardolino most days I wasn’t visiting larger cities, as diamond pocket says some great bars and restaurants. Very chilled and relaxed atmosphere all around the lake.

Hope you enjoy it.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:34 pm

Tribesmen wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:22 am
Funny really as i adore the South and not that much of a fan of the people from the North .
Couldn't agree more. Way more friendly in the south.

claret wizard
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:09 pm

If you really want peace and quiet go to Lake Orta, I can really recommend the Hotel san Rocco. Handful of tourists only.

diamondpocket

Post by diamondpocket » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:19 pm

claret wizard wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:09 pm
If you really want peace and quiet go to Lake Orta, I can really recommend the Hotel san Rocco. Handful of tourists only.
Seconded. Absolutely, great shout Wizard. Orta San Giulio the main place there & has a little centre with tight streets but nothing too manic especially in the evening. A bit pricier though and a car definitely useful.
It also houses the restaurant of one of Italy's most famous chefs & should be on any list for Michelin Star visitors who like the swanky places. Villa Crespi is the name, an absolute stunning building & I dream of having the cash to go there without feeling guilty. It might be my last supper place if it's still going!!

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:18 am

Another shout for Bardolino…some really good restaurants. Sail up the lake - v.relaxing. Local bus journeys are so entertaining and sometimes pretty hair raising.
Hope you enjoy Garda.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:35 am

All of the lake resorts will be busy in high season. If you want quiet then go to the main resorts in April, May or September. If you go high season then you want the smaller places such as Lazise or Torre del Benaco.

standishclarets
Been Liked: 26 times

Post by standishclarets » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:05 pm

Me and the missus went to Lake Garda in May 2008. It wasn't that busy at that time of the year. We stayed at Peschiera (located at the foot of the 'right testicle'!).We found it a great base, short walk to the Lake and if feeling a bit lazy, a quick bus ride into the town, with its street market and restaurants on the 'canal'. We also found the 'ferry boats'' a great way of travelling up the Lake, stopping off at great places on the east side such as Malcesine (where they have a cable car ride upto Mount Baldo) and Bardolino.
Basically, we found every place we went wonderful. Really hope they are starting to get things back to normal.