Self Drive Cars

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Stayingup
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 2757 times

Self Drive Cars

Post by Stayingup » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:08 pm

Does anyone fancy a driverless car?

I just read that Tesla has recalled 12,000 because of a software issue causing the emergency brakes to to come on. I just thought about going down the M1 near Sheffield, which I do quite often on a Super Smart Section with no hard shoulder and the brakes suddenly activate. Double jeopardy but it would certainly wake me up!!!
A pleasure of having a car to me is in fact driving it. I can see that self drive cars could be useful for physically limted or incapacitated people or just old people. But I would not fancy one at all as I am able - for now.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Re: Self Drive Cars

Post by BenWickes » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:14 pm

I can't imagine myself getting one. As you say the pleasure is in the driving and I love driving. It's not practical financially for me to drive at the moment but I have my eye on a 4x4 if and when. Not remotely interested in a self driving car. I used to drive for hours just because I could.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8540 times
Has Liked: 18290 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:22 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:08 pm
Does anyone fancy a driverless car?

I just read that Tesla has recalled 12,000 because of a software issue causing the emergency brakes to to come on. I just thought about going down the M1 near Sheffield, which I do quite often on a Super Smart Section with no hard shoulder and the brakes suddenly activate. Double jeopardy but it would certainly wake me up!!!
A pleasure of having a car to me is in fact driving it. I can see that self drive cars could be useful for physically limted or incapacitated people or just old people. But I would not fancy one at all as I am able - for now.
My sister and I were chatting about this at the weekend ... she drives a GLB Merc and I have an E Pace Jag both having got the adaptive cruise control for following the vehicle in front...

I said I had used it when following the Hearse last week and she laughed and said she had done the same following me.

Both of us said we didn't fance self drive cars but like the adaptive cruise control facility under certain conditions ...

I drive (like yourself) for the pleasure of driving and have no wish for a self drive motor vehicle...

So its a big fat no from me ... to the question about "would I want a self drive car" 🙂
This user liked this post: Stayingup

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:37 pm

I was in a mates car a few months back and he nearly missed the turning on a dual carriageway, tried to pull in behind a lorry but his car decided he was too close and slammed the breaks on, the bloke behind him got a shock. He was able to override it by accelerating but it's the sort of thing that will catch out a normal driver who's driving behind and will be held responsible for the accident. To me that's the danger, mixing self drive cars with real people driving and walking. You can imagine that people will suss out the reactions of the self drive cars and use it to their advantage, it's what people do every time there's a new technology, people exploit things that nobody had thought of. Who's ever going to give way to a self drive car when you know it'll stop and let you pass in busy traffic. When two lanes move into one I'm sure people will know they're programmed to avoid collisions and use it to push past.

Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Post by Untinted Glasses » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:22 pm

I dont think you'll have a choice in the not to distant dystopia future

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8540 times
Has Liked: 18290 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:42 pm

Untinted Glasses wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:22 pm
I dont think you'll have a choice in the not to distant dystopia future
Won't worry me ... I will have hung my car keys on that hook in the sky m8 (probably 😉) good luck to the young-uns...

I've seen "Terminator" self drive cars and planes etc are the 1st step to "Armageddon"

claret2018
Been Liked: 820 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:45 pm

They will be the norm sooner than you think. The technology is pretty much there, once they’re regulated then away we go.

Remember they don’t have to be perfect, just as safe as the average driver is now.

I couldn’t think of anything better than to not have to drive my car.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1187 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:46 pm

I had the self drive as a trial on my Tesla and frankly I found it more exhausting than driving it myself.

The amount of times it shits itself and slams on is ridiculous. On motorways, if someone slightly veers towards your lane - slam on. If there is poor road markings - slam on. If there is cars parked on the kerb... you get the point.

If this is the closest to actual self drive we have, there's no chance of this becoming mainstream anytime soon.

claret2018
Been Liked: 820 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:48 pm

My car has radar cruise control and lane assist so does quite a lot by itself on the motorway, and it’s absolutely brilliant.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

BFCmaj
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 2107 times

Post by BFCmaj » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:20 pm

What would happen if two self-drive cars met on a single-track country lane?

karatekid
Been Liked: 1113 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:45 pm

BFCmaj wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:20 pm
What would happen if two self-drive cars met on a single-track country lane?