Ashley Westwood's passing - under the radar

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Ashley Westwood's passing - under the radar

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:32 am

FOOTBALL | UNDER THE RADAR
Ashley Westwood’s excellent passing makes Burnley tick
The midfielder has caused problems for opponents with searching balls behind their defence and well-taken set pieces

Gregor Robertson, Friday November 05 2021, 3.30pm, The Times

Burnley’s Ashley Westwood is among the most underrated players in the Premier League. A midfielder who plays for the top flight’s most unfashionable club, who drives a battered old Mercedes Viano to training in a car school with Ashley Barnes (Barn West cabs, as they like to call it), who tirelessly patrols every inch of Burnley’s midfield each week, who rarely misses a game, yet many followers of Premier League football may fail to recognise in the street.

Westwood, however, is far more than a midfield workhorse. Few players possess the range and accuracy of Westwood’s passing — a truth that perhaps goes unnoticed because of the long-ball stigma associated with his team.

Last weekend, in Burnley’s 3-1 win against Brentford, Westwood was outstanding: time and again the former Aston Villa midfielder sent searching passes in behind the visitors’ defence and into the path of the forwards Chris Wood and Maxwel Cornet.

One ball, in the first half, was Kevin De Bruyne-esque: a beautifully arced pass, from the inside-right channel on the halfway line, that took Brentford’s back three, and Pontus Jansson in particular, out of the game. After a flick of the head by Wood, Cornet supplied the finish, only to be denied by the linesman’s offside flag.

Westwood, whose technique was honed in Crewe Alexandra’s academy and League Two, is a master at fading those passes into the final third, at getting defenders doing the thing they loath most: running back towards their own goal. “Even Liverpool, as brilliant as they are, will play forward quickly at times and ask their front three to chase after the ball,” Westwood has said, adding that “when they spin it in behind it’s a great long pass, when we do it it’s a long ball.”

Burnley have the second-lowest share of possession (39.4 per cent) in the Premier League, so Westwood is never likely to pull up any trees statistically. Despite that, however, only three midfielders who have featured regularly this season have played more accurate long passes — including Manchester City’s Rodri, and Wolverhampton Wanderers’s Ruben Neves.

For Burnley, though, Westwood is the fulcrum of the team. He averages more passes, accurate long passes, and key passes than any of Burnley’s outfield players. He leads the way, in open play, for starting sequences that end with a shot. His delivery from set-plays is among the best on the Premier League, too.

He is a master of the art of the long pass.

These 8 users liked this post: MrVmax HunterST_BFC Juan Tanamera Jellybean evensteadiereddie jetblackcat Taffy on the wing Colburn_Claret

PadihamThickNeck
Been Liked: 110 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Re: Ashley Westwood's passing - under the radar

Post by PadihamThickNeck » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:37 am

We are better when Westwood plays. Cork has looked way off it this season. Brownhill is the one out of the 3 that has to start though for me. Even though I think he’s technically the worst footballer out of the three his energy and athleticism is key to us.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4105 times
Has Liked: 6588 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:01 am

Said it many times, we play a long pass, it’s an ugly long ball. Liverpool or city play the long pass, it’s a beautiful piece of skill and vision worthy of Hoddle or Beckham.

And Westwood doesn’t go unnoticed, at least not by us lot that see his current worth to the team.
These 2 users liked this post: Quicknick Juan Tanamera

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:04 am

For £5 million he's been an absolute bargain for us.
Just sits there ticking along with minimal fuss.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:29 am

Well deserved praise

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:30 am

A good tribute to Westwood, under-rated by many on here as his player scores indicate, a timely reminder of what he does well.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 2976 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:31 am

Couldn't believe that Westwood is bottom of the Player of the Year cumulative marks on here when I looked the other day. he seems to come in for a fair bit of criticism on here so it's good to see this article ...I really rate him.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:41 am

bobinho wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:01 am
Said it many times, we play a long pass, it’s an ugly long ball. Liverpool or city play the long pass, it’s a beautiful piece of skill and vision worthy of Hoddle or Beckham.

And Westwood doesn’t go unnoticed, at least not by us lot that see his current worth to the team.
This is one of the most repeated bits of rubbish we get on here. When one of our players plays a long ball in to someones feet or into space to set someone free it gets credited as a good pass just like it does for teams like Liverpool or City

There are a lot of times though when we go long and just punt it into space or at someone whose marked head or chest because we are under pressure and/or have no other option. This is rightly is seen by neutrals as ugly long ball stuff

You rarely see teams like Liverpool and City just punt it forward hence why their keepers and defenders fanny about with it at the back so thats why their long balls and style of play is judged differently to us.

Best example for us was Defour who used to ping the ball all the place over but very rarely just played a hopeful ball. Unfortunately we dont have the cash to see many players of Defours quality

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1523 times

Post by chekhov » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:10 am

bobinho wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:01 am

It’s only an ugly long ball when it’s an aimless or poorly executed punt into the opposition half. Thing with Liverpool is they tend to hit accurate long passes that their teammates get on the end of. We tend not to do that as often. And it is pretty ugly when it’s not working.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:15 am

Westwood is a key member of our team, and he has been for a good few years now.

I'm glad he's finally being recognised by mainstream media for his contributions, and he's the only one of our midfield who looks likely to create anything in open play, his set plays have been known about for a long while, and if we could only add another quality player alongside Westy we'd be transformed as a unit.

And crucially he also rarely misses games, which when you've got a small squad as Burnley has is a vital asset for SD to able to utilise.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:36 am

chekhov wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:10 am
It’s only an ugly long ball when it’s an aimless or poorly executed punt into the opposition half. Thing with Liverpool is they tend to hit accurate long passes that their teammates get on the end of. We tend not to do that as often. And it is pretty ugly when it’s not working.
See your point, but even when the pass is a good one it’s “Burnley’s long ball tactics” regurgitated over and over again until the weak minded are brainwashed with it.

Anyway, seems I agree with Ashley, or he with me, and that’s good enough for me.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:02 pm

As someone pointed out above, if he is so good and important to the team, why is he at the bottom of the UTC player of the season stats? This, I assume, is based on the opinions of actual fans who watch him week in week out.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2753 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:28 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:02 pm
As someone pointed out above, if he is so good and important to the team, why is he at the bottom of the UTC player of the season stats? This, I assume, is based on the opinions of actual fans who watch him week in week out.
And why do most fans feel the critical area we need an upgrade in is midfield?

I like Westwoods work rate very much but I feel passing is not his strongest point
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:54 pm

His passing is excellent but it's usually the same type of passes where he tries to loop it in deep from the right. Most of the time because it's the same move over and over defenders expect it and can deal with it easily. I like those kind of balls, but I think he plays better when he mixes his play more.

His deliveries from corners also tend to very good, and because he curls them towards goal it causes problems for keepers who aren't confident catchers, or punchers.

Mattster
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by Mattster » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:56 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:28 pm
And why do most fans feel the critical area we need an upgrade in is midfield?
Most fans wanted to upgrade the wide areas, didn't mean they didn't rate McNeil.
Stayingup wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:28 pm
I like Westwoods work rate very much but I feel passing is not his strongest point
It is by far and away his strongest attribute.

Vino blanco

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:58 pm

Superdimitri, if his passing is “excellent “, why is he bottom of the UTC ratings (behind 18 other players I think I counted) when passing is what he is supposed to be doing?

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:06 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:58 pm
Superdimitri, if his passing is “excellent “, why is he bottom of the UTC ratings (behind 18 other players I think I counted) when passing is what he is supposed to be doing?
To be fair Vino I wouldn’t take this boards ratings seriously.

A poster the other day genuinely said they would rather have Brownhill than Pogba

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1171 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by burnleymik » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:08 pm

I think it was the short easy passes where he has looked sloppy recently.

Vino blanco

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:08 pm

They are ratings made by actual fans who watch Burnley week in week out.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:11 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:08 pm
They are ratings made by actual fans who watch Burnley week in week out.
Yes and most Burnley fans will give a 7 if someone runs a lot.

Got nothing to do with actual quality or technique (clearly demonstrated in the recent McNeil ratings).

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:11 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:06 pm

A poster the other day genuinely said they would rather have Brownhill than Pogba
I would. On the whole the pattern of ratings absolutely reflects the individual performances.
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

alboclaret
Been Liked: 143 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by alboclaret » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:13 pm

Westwood play the right footed 90 degree heave over and between full back and centre half. It's obviously a ploy to tun defence but will sometimes play it completely blind. It's like the first thing that comes into his brain sometimes. 🧠

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:27 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
I think I explained this in the post you quoted. It's the predictability of his passing that let's him down, not the passes themselves.

He has a single track mind to play that ball deep behind the oppositions defence. It worked against Brentford but barely works against other teams that defend deeper, or better, or both.

When he mixes his play more he plays better, whether it's team instructions forcing him to make so many of these long passes behind the defence, or just him I'm not sure.

Vino blanco

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:33 pm

"He has a single track mind to play that ball deep". Couldnt agree more superdimitri, that just about sums him up. The only problem is that ball deep rarely works.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:55 pm

He doesn’t have a single track mind to play the ball deep, he’s obviously instructed to do so by Dyche. Which is why our centre forwards are almost always on the same wavelength. I imagine that Dyche absolutely loves Westwood because he appears to carry out his instructions to the letter.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:05 pm

alboclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:13 pm
Westwood play the right footed 90 degree heave over and between full back and centre half. It's obviously a ploy to tun defence but will sometimes play it completely blind. It's like the first thing that comes into his brain sometimes. 🧠
Yeah, the no look first time ball around the corner had a bit of joy but he's overused it now. Our opponents have all got wise to it.

Vino blanco

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:07 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:55 pm
He doesn’t have a single track mind to play the ball deep, he’s obviously instructed to do so by Dyche. Which is why our centre forwards are almost always on the same wavelength. I imagine that Dyche absolutely loves Westwood because he appears to carry out his instructions to the letter.
Supposition and conjecture.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:12 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:07 pm
Supposition and conjecture.
With a lot of evidence to support it. An almost ever-present when fit, and if Dyche wasn’t instructing him to play those balls over the top then our other players wouldn’t be making the run every single time the ball is played back to him in those positions.

You may not like Westwood’s long passes but it’s pretty obvious that Dyche does.

Vino blanco

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:20 pm

He is an everpresent because we have no other options. I would pick him to play because their there is no one else, this is why I have argued on here for months that our whole central midfield needs an upgrade. I can't comment whether Dyche likes his long passes or not because I have never had the opportunity to discuss this Dyche, perhaps you have.
Anyway I'm offto watch the game with the Benalmadena Clarets now. We may get a point, coyc!!!

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:26 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:20 pm
He is an everpresent because we have no other options. I would pick him to play because their there is no one else, this is why I have argued on here for months that our whole central midfield needs an upgrade. I can't comment whether Dyche likes his long passes or not because I have never had the opportunity to discuss this Dyche, perhaps you have.
Anyway I'm offto watch the game with the Benalmadena Clarets now. We may get a point, coyc!!!
We do have other options, he makes the team ahead of Cork, Brownhill and Stephens. He takes our set pieces, he’s our most creative central midfielder by some distance and season by season is on a par with McNeil in terms of goal contributions.

It’s completely obvious that he is instructed by Dyche to play that long pass - I don’t need to discuss this with Dyche to come to this conclusion.

Enjoy the game.

taio

Post by taio » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:28 pm

It's hardly stabbing in the dark suggesting Westwood is under instruction from Dyche given how consistent and well drilled the team has been under his leadership.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:48 pm

A very flattering article in my opinion

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:02 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

And if you understand the meaning of teamwork, and how cohesion matters to a group who give everything they have for each other, even if it means it is detrimental to the individuals own display, then you'd understand why they suggested that. I don't know who it was, but I get it.
One game Pogba may give you a 9/10 performance, followed by repeated petulant displays hardly worth a 5/10. When your team is bristling with top class talent in other areas, maybe this is affordable.
Brownhill gives repeated 7/10, and ALWAYS 10/10 in the effort department. I know which one I want in my team.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:56 pm

Another assist, deep cross today. At the right time, he can certainly pass. Just needs to mix his play a bit more that's all.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:29 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:20 pm
Bumpety bump bump.

the_fat_shearer
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by the_fat_shearer » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:12 am

I think that those who argue that we should pay attention to the messageboard ratings of Westwood are placing too much value on those - look at Chris Wood, he's rated each season consistently under 7 but has been our highest goalscorer and most effective striker. That tells you all you need to know.

Is Westwood in the top 10 central midfielders in the Premier League? No

Is Westwood effective for Burnley with one of the few attacking passes that we do, delivering good set pieces and with excellent work-rate and a central part of the way we play? Yes

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:26 am

bobinho wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:02 pm
And if you understand the meaning of teamwork, and how cohesion matters to a group who give everything they have for each other, even if it means it is detrimental to the individuals own display, then you'd understand why they suggested that. I don't know who it was, but I get it.
One game Pogba may give you a 9/10 performance, followed by repeated petulant displays hardly worth a 5/10. When your team is bristling with top class talent in other areas, maybe this is affordable.
Brownhill gives repeated 7/10, and ALWAYS 10/10 in the effort department. I know which one I want in my team.
Can’t believe what I am reading, again this just highlights that the player ratings on this board hold no value at all.

A player like Pogba in our team would turn this team into a top half the table team over night.

You don’t need 11 sloggers to be able to compete. Most of the time we only need players like that because we can’t retain the ball for long periods of time.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5559 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:34 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:12 pm

Collins 4 like bambi on ice
You've certainly proved your own point.
This user liked this post: bobinho

ottclaret
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by ottclaret » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:42 am

burnleymik wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:08 pm
I think it was the short easy passes where he has looked sloppy recently.
This is what I have noticed, this season- and he isn't the only one, in that respect.

He is obviously told by Dyche to play those longer balls, and mostly does it very well, sometimes they do balloon a bit, which makes it more difficult for our forwards to get a flick on using pace of the ball, and easier for defenders to regroup whilst it is up there!
This user liked this post: burnleymik

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:55 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:26 am
Can’t believe what I am reading, again this just highlights that the player ratings on this board hold no value at all.

A player like Pogba in our team would turn this team into a top half the table team over night.

You don’t need 11 sloggers to be able to compete. Most of the time we only need players like that because we can’t retain the ball for long periods of time.
I agree that you don’t need 11 sloggers in order to compete…. But you DO need 11. If Pogba isn’t up for it, and let’s be honest most weeks he isn’t, Utd are playing with 10. We couldn’t afford that…. That’s not to say I wouldn’t be up for a quality CM coming in, I absolutely would, but he’s got to fit the mould, the mindset and the framework. He’s got to get onboard with SD and what we are trying to do, and if Pogba won’t play ball at Utd for Ole, he certainly wouldn’t do it here.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5049 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:07 am

Vino blanco wrote:
Our midfield has been our weak link for a lot of the season, and therefore he is guilty by association, the marks reflect peoples frustration. Probably unfair at times, but that's the way of the world. Westwood is definitely our most creative midfielder, and you can never question his effort. I think his dead balls and corners haven't been as good this year, but only because he had set the bar so high in the past. We've seen Westy is capable of the passes that set up the goal yesterday, we just need to see more of them. That would require us to get more men in the box to receive those passes, so it isn't all down to him.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:12 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:26 am

Can't believe you think the view of Pogba is about his individual abilities rather his lack of ability to be part of a team.

Mattster
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by Mattster » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:21 am

People are very critical of our central midfield but unfortunately it's not going to be fixed by signing one player. The reason we don't often win the midfield battle isn't down to Westwood/Brownhill it's down to the system, they're outnumbered in every game.

People always draw a comparison to Defour to do down Westwood/Brownhill but ignore the fact that Defour was almost always operating in a central 3 with Hendrick ahead of him and Cork alongside.

Replace Westwood or Brownhill with 17/18 Defour and there would be very limited improvement.

If we could sign someone who could do the defensive work of Brownhill that also had the passing/creativity of Westwood then that's where we'd see an improvement. Finding a player like that in our price range would be nigh on impossible.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:53 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:34 am
You've certainly proved your own point.
Collins was poor in that game.

Decent in the games after. Other people were critical of his newcastle debut where I said he was best player on the pitch.

Yes I have, the player ratings hold no true view of a players ability. As Bobinho highlighted players like Brownhill will get a rating of a 7 for running around a lot without producing anything.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:54 am

taio wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:12 am
Can't believe you think the view of Pogba is about his individual abilities rather his lack of ability to be part of a team.
We are talking about the guy that has won the World Cup, Italian championships, European cups? Apparently he can’t fit into a team?

Give me strength. Next people will be saying they would rather have Wood than Ronaldo

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5559 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:57 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:53 am
Collins was poor in that game.

Decent in the games after. Other people were critical of his newcastle debut where I said he was best player on the pitch.

Yes I have, the player ratings hold no true view of a players ability. As Bobinho highlighted players like Brownhill will get a rating of a 7 for running around a lot without producing anything.
MOTM wasn't he?

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:57 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:54 am
We are talking about the guy that has won the World Cup, Italian championships, European cups? Apparently he can’t fit into a team?

Give me strength. Next people will be saying they would rather have Wood than Ronaldo
For £89m he’s probably the biggest flop in Premier league history to be fair. 3 managers have been unable to get any consistency out of him.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:58 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:57 am
MOTM wasn't he?
In arguably our worst performance under Dyche. Not exactly anything to brag about

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:00 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:57 am
For £89m he’s probably the biggest flop in Premier league history to be fair. 3 managers have been unable to get any consistency out of him.
Are you seriously suggesting that you would rather have Brownhill in our starting eleven than Pogba?

taio

Post by taio » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:01 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:54 am

That's the fella. If I was a manager he'd be about the last type of player I would sign. Not because he's not a good player on his day. Ferguson had it right with him years ago.