Barkley

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Barkley

Post by willsclarets » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:21 pm

Thought he was really good yesterday. Amazing to think some on here wouldn't have wanted him on loan in the summer! There's a real player in there if he stays hungry and moves to a team with a manager who can motivate him.

Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Re: Barkley

Post by Untinted Glasses » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:35 pm

I'm amazed that you think it was amazing that some on here cant recognise good footballers.
These 2 users liked this post: morpheus2 Burnley1989

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:59 pm

AMN got MoM this afternoon. He’d be perfect for our right wideman. Back in for him in January I hope.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:04 pm

Never questioned his ability, always questioned his work ethic, desire, motivation, consistency etc.

This is where some people on here get confused and assume I question his ability.
(There's a similar debate going on about Pogba on here today)

The fact that Chelsea were offering him around in the summer and nobody, including us, wanted him should tell you that a number of people within football far more qualified than I am also have similar questions about Barkley.
A fit, hungry, fully motivated, consistent Barkley walks into most teams in this league, let me know when he turns up.

From the highlights it looks like he had a good game yesterday, was unfortunate to sky that shot just before he got hooked.

Let's see where he ends up in January
This user liked this post: Woonderbah

Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Post by Untinted Glasses » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:11 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:04 pm
Never questioned his ability, always questioned his work ethic, desire, motivation, consistency etc.

This is where some people on here get confused and assume I question his ability.
(There's a similar debate going on about Pogba on here today)

The fact that Chelsea were offering him around in the summer and nobody, including us, wanted him should tell you that a number of people within football far more qualified than I am also have similar questions about Barkley.
A fit, hungry, fully motivated, consistent Barkley walks into most teams in this league, let me know when he turns up.

From the highlights it looks like he had a good game yesterday, was unfortunate to sky that shot just before he got hooked.

Let's see where he ends up in January
What a weary reply. For gods sake I'm glad you ain't no manager. Recognise a good player and be the one to back your self to make sure he feels in a great environment to get the best out of him.. don't wait for some one else, Jesus. The lack of enthusiasm and creativity by some on here is just unreal . You said the same about Barton if I remember correctly
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:30 pm

Untinted Glasses wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:11 pm
What a weary reply. For gods sake I'm glad you ain't no manager. Recognise a good player and be the one to back your self to make sure he feels in a great environment to get the best out of him.. don't wait for some one else, Jesus. The lack of enthusiasm and creativity by some on here is just unreal . You said the same about Barton if I remember correctly
Never said anything of the sort about Barton, you've remembered wrongly.
Barton never lacked motivation, hunger etc, he just had a temperament issue but I didn't question Dyche's ability to control that.

I've also managed people, in various companies so I know how to motivate people etc.

Weary reply?
Yes, because it's tiring seeing people confuse a questioning of commitment etc with ability.

Is he a good player?
On his day, yes he is.

Let me know when his next good day is, because at present it isn't often considering he's played 200 league mins across 5-6 league appearances and spent most of his time on the bench or not in the squad.

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:35 pm

Untinted Glasses wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:11 pm
It’s not as simple as that though. I’ve never heard anything about Barkley to put me off him but it’s true that he goes through spells where he is anonymous.
Look at Ravel Morrison for a player that nobody can consistently get the best out of and there are many more that just don’t have the desire or mental strength to play to the best of their ability.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:42 pm

Oddly a lot of the Chelsea fans were saying he was terrible (online, reception in the ground seemed okay).

I think someone like AMN would suit us more, but both would be great additions. It just depends if either want to stay at a big club on the fingers or be a star player elsewhere.

WazzaClaret
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by WazzaClaret » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:47 pm

He was superb yesterday -the shot he skied. Crazy how much stick he’s getting off the Chelsea fans. Shows what a plastic/clueless fan base they have for the most part.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:50 pm

In a top team with creative players around him he can be stellar (if he turns up). In our side fighting for relegation and keeping your head up when you're losing 1-0 away to Newcastle, he ain't gonna offer much.

taio
Been Liked: 3249 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:53 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:42 pm
Oddly a lot of the Chelsea fans were saying he was terrible (online, reception in the ground seemed okay).

I think someone like AMN would suit us more, but both would be great additions. It just depends if either want to stay at a big club on the fingers or be a star player elsewhere.
Either would be welcome additions but as you suggest AMN would fit our system better. But that ship has probably sailed.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:59 pm

minnieclaret wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:35 pm
It’s not as simple as that though. I’ve never heard anything about Barkley to put me off him but it’s true that he goes through spells where he is anonymous.
Look at Ravel Morrison for a player that nobody can consistently get the best out of and there are many more that just don’t have the desire or mental strength to play to the best of their ability.
I was going to use James Rodriguez as an example, but Ravel works just as well.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2109 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:02 pm

Untinted Glasses wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:35 pm
I'm amazed that you think it was amazing that some on here cant recognise good footballers.
Seem to recall Declan Rice was written off as useless by plenty on here not that long ago.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1231 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:05 pm

Hasn’t this been done to death , he’s got a shocking attitude similar to Drinkwater
This user liked this post: SouthLondonexile

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2329 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:46 pm

:lol: No shock that Joey doesn’t rate him

He’d be the second best played in our squad after Cornet

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:55 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:59 pm
I was going to use James Rodriguez as an example, but Ravel works just as well.
James is an awful example, a world class player who is now past his peak and really struggled with injury, nothing to do with his attitude, his body broke down at Madrid.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:00 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:55 pm
James is an awful example, a world class player who is now past his peak and really struggled with injury, nothing to do with his attitude, his body broke down at Madrid.
Not really.
Only seems to want to play for Ancelotti, pretty much downed tools when CA left Everton.
All the skill in the world, just seems to lack the focus to go with it.

I've looked at his injury history and yes he's had a lot, but that can be one of a few things.

Made of glass, a poor trainer, poor training routines or poor medical staff (at Real the last 2 are the more possible after seeing Hazard breakdown in similar fashion when he went there)

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3168 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:05 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:02 pm
Seem to recall Declan Rice was written off as useless by plenty on here not that long ago.
Probably still is.... by some :D

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:06 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:00 pm
Not really.
Only seems to want to play for Ancelotti, pretty much downed tools when CA left Everton.
All the skill in the world, just seems to lack the focus to go with it.

I've looked at his injury history and yes he's had a lot, but that can be one of a few things.

Made of glass, a poor trainer, poor training routines or poor medical staff (at Real the last 2 are the more possible after seeing Hazard breakdown in similar fashion when he went there)
poor trainer and poor training routines has never stopped many world class players. I can't imagine Maradona, r9 Ronaldo, Adriano, Sneijder were the hardest of trainers and the most dedicated to fitness. The body slowing down from injury is a completely different thing.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3168 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:08 pm

Are we comparing Barkley with James Rodriguez?
One is (was) a world class player, the other is.....
Ross Barkley

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:44 pm

Barkley was good yesterday but when some of their midfielders are fit again to start (Kovacik, Mount) his appearances will be limited

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:49 am

Part of the problem with signing higher rated players like Barkley is with their attitude playing for a smaller team like us. If he came into our squad do you really think he'd be humble and fit in like Cornet?

These top players with questionable attitudes often carry big egos and being 'top man' at Burnley is very different to Chelsea. Everyone knows Barkley has bags of ability but hasn't been able to show it regularly to get a regular place in the Chelsea or England team. That tells you more about his mentality than his ability as a player.

He'd think he was the star man here and everything would need to revolve around him. When the going gets tough his head would drop, it would be everyone else's fault and he'd be out clubbing in Manchester that night.

Don't only look at the pure pedigree of a players technical ability without also considering their mentality. Especially when you can see so much of our success in recent years is down to mental strength.

Even from a tactical standpoint we just don't have the kind of team that would be able to use him to his best. It's a lot easier for a creative, attacking player like him to have a storming game against us when we carry so little of the ball and you've got two world class defensive midfielders behind you. In our team he'd probably get one or two touches a game and spend the rest of the time doing nothing off the ball at all.

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:26 am

I thought he was average. Looked dangerous running at our defence but then generally tried to carry it too far or played the wrong pass. Maybe he was trying too hard to impress.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:51 am

aggi wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:26 am
...Maybe he was trying too hard to impress.
Only listened to the game on the radio so I don't want to comment on how good/bad he or anyone else played, but given the online reports and discussion - not just on here - suggesting that Barkley could perhaps come to BFC in January on loan/loan to buy deal, I did wonder if a contributing factor to his getting some rare 'game time' on Saturday was a case of Chelsea 'putting him in the shop window'?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3877 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:23 am

aggi wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:26 am
I thought he was average. Looked dangerous running at our defence but then generally tried to carry it too far or played the wrong pass. Maybe he was trying too hard to impress.
He ran the midfield on Saturday. It might be an average performance by a Chelsea player but it would be an impressive performance by our standards.

We started coming into the game with 20 minutes to go, just after Vydra came on and Barkley went off. That allowed the midfield to support the front two more which helps us massively.
Some will say we would push up in the last 20 anyhow but it doesn't always work against the big sides.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Dyched
Been Liked: 1926 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:40 am

He’s just not good enough. For us he’s fine but anything better he’s not.

Robbie Blake was class on in his day, but consistently not. We could afford to carry him when he was having an off day. Mid to top table Premier League sides can’t afford to carry players.

He falls into the category not quite good enough for the Top 10 but could do a job for the bottom half clubs.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:04 am

He was nothing special on Sat. He’s playing in possibly the worlds best club side, fed with perfect balls against a very weak prem side . Skied one, one wayward effort with loads of space and got hooked . He was perfectly decent,and of course he’s way better than what we have . If he can stay sober I’d love him here .

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:24 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:23 am
He ran the midfield on Saturday. It might be an average performance by a Chelsea player but it would be an impressive performance by our standards.

We started coming into the game with 20 minutes to go, just after Vydra came on and Barkley went off. That allowed the midfield to support the front two more which helps us massively.
Some will say we would push up in the last 20 anyhow but it doesn't always work against the big sides.
I'd say Kante was the one running the midfield. Obviously it would be an impressive performance for Burnley but realistically we're not going to get that performance playing with Burnley's players rather than Chelsea's.

I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we got him, on his day he's better than our current midfielders and I can't say I've followed him enough to be able to comment on his attitude.