Being a dad

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Cabbage
Been Liked: 166 times
Has Liked: 136 times

Being a dad

Post by Cabbage » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:53 pm

Burnley FC has been a big part of my life. My first game was Frank Casper’s testimonial game, longer ago than I can remember. Since then I have loved them and forgotten them. I went through a spell of going to every home game and every away game.I then stopped going to watch them all together. 8 years ago I took my 7 year old to watch them and the bug came back. Since then we have had season tickets and done the trips to several away games. Great lad and dad days out which will stay with me forever. One day, I suppose, he won’t want to go to the games with his dad but in the meantime I will make the most of it. Win, draw or lose I will cherish the moments.
These 17 users liked this post: Bosscat Pearcey Holmeclaret Burnley1989 spadesclaret Silkyskills1 lakedistrictclaret NewClaret jjclaret WadingInDeeper Cirrus_Minor Rowls Leisure ClaretAL Lancasterclaret bfcjg Steve1956

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1150 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Re: Being a dad

Post by Pearcey » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:57 pm

I’m 48 and my Dad is 73 and I cherish every game we go to. Because we’re a long way from Burnley we always make a weekend of it and throw a museum trip in on the Sunday. Need to sort another soon!
These 4 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Bosscat jjclaret Burnley1989

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2309 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:05 pm

I’m 32, when I do go to a game I generally do with my Dad as we go for a few beers etc as well, he’s not just my Dad he’s my best mate so I wouldn’t want to go watching football with anyone else.
These 6 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Bosscat Red Fox Rocks Socks Rowls Rumpelstiltskin longsidepies

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:07 pm

I go with my son and daughter and my grandson. 3 generations and its great.
These 2 users liked this post: NewClaret Bosscat

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3106 times
Has Liked: 3824 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:14 pm

This is what football’s all about. We should all go to as many games as we can with our loved ones - the memories they create are priceless!
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat Burnley1989 Silkyskills1

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:15 pm

My two boys' first game was a season opener against Forest many years ago, that was a draw.

The season we finished 7th, we had season tickets and did half the games, mixture of home and away.

My eldest lad still says it's one of the best years of his life, because the memories we made were just great.
My youngest son also still talks about certain events, the West Ham game with the pitch invasion, the cup game at City when he ate 3 curry pies and was then sick throughout the night :lol:

We are looking at getting some game in this season, but the eldest is moving in with his missus this weekend so he's got some proper bills to pay now and the youngest works every weekend and at school in the week, so it won't be many we manage to get too.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2309 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:20 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:15 pm
My two boys' first game was a season opener against Forest many years ago, that was a draw.

The season we finished 7th, we had season tickets and did half the games, mixture of home and away.

My eldest lad still says it's one of the best years of his life, because the memories we made were just great.
My youngest son also still talks about certain events, the West Ham game with the pitch invasion, the cup game at City when he ate 3 curry pies and was then sick throughout the night :lol:

We are looking at getting some game in this season, but the eldest is moving in with his missus this weekend so he's got some proper bills to pay now and the youngest works every weekend and at school in the week, so it won't be many we manage to get too.

It will come back round once they get a little older I’d imagine! 3 pies is some going, I’ve done 2 at a game but had terrible heartburn :lol:
This user liked this post: Bosscat

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:29 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:20 pm
It will come back round once they get a little older I’d imagine! 3 pies is some going, I’ve done 2 at a game but had terrible heartburn :lol:
To this day he still says it was worth it and he'd have some again if we go to the Etihad :lol:

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:36 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:15 pm

I bet you got some stick from his mother over that one. If you told her, of course!

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:37 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:36 pm
I bet you got some stick from his mother over that one. If you told her, of course!
He was back home being sick, so yeah I got a phone call about that one :lol:

Longsidebovril
Been Liked: 552 times
Has Liked: 258 times

Post by Longsidebovril » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:57 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:14 pm
This is what football’s all about. We should all go to as many games as we can with our loved ones - the memories they create are priceless!
This is it. It’s so much more than the result. Share in the highs and the lows and everything in between. The hug me and my old
Man had at Wembley 09 will stay with me.

barba
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by barba » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:32 pm

Got to give a shout-out to Claret mum's. Mine took me all over the country in the late 80's / early 90's. Some of my best memories.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:34 am

Got to enjoy taking them on when you can

We only have one child ticket for my two, and my eldest (14) goes more than my youngest (12) but they both love going when they can

But its only going to be for a couple more years I think as Saturday jobs and other stuff will get in the way

Its just great when you can take your kids and they enjoy it in the same way you do

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5080 times
Has Liked: 6886 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:51 am

One of the grandchildrens first game this Saturday , not having any beer just McDonalds then Turf, can't wait.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:56 am

A great post thanks for sharing. I think I’m going through that middle phase now where the bug has gone. I too used to go to all home games and away when finance allowed. I have a daughter who is 15 months and I’m hoping the bug will return when she’s old enough to come with me. I certainly still watch the games from home and she sits and watches it even at her young age now!

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:58 am

Well we booked a trip to York, and when the Mrs was firing Saturday dates at me, nothing landed on a none footy day, and with the great away trips coming up and decent home games, I sacrificed C Palace this weekend.
( safe to say once we had paid out for trains etc, the Spurs game got moved to Sunday 🤬🤬 )

Anyway back to topic, my son is 15 and not coming on the trip as its just me and the Mrs, but also isn't wanting to go on either.
I explained, he can still go on, the usual lot we sit with are still going on, why don't you take a mate on with you.
He said " I'm not going if you don't, I like it when we go on together, I like it being us. We get the chippy and have a good day, it'll be boring without you"

It was just a quick discussion in the car, but damn did it make me get a warm fuzzy feeling inside, and he probably didn't even realise how nice that was to hear.

I can't wait until we are having a pint before hand, charting about our week and making more memories, just praying he doesn't fall out of love with it again like he did for a few years.

Football certainly does bring us all together, and creates some fantastic memories.
These 3 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Burnley1989 Cabbage

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:21 am

Great post cabbage, my 2 boys don't go games with me anymore and don't even sit in the same stand (I try not to take it personally) but did enjoy it when we went together. They drink with their mates now but make a point of every game meeting up for a beer or 2 either before or after.

They do tend to get same trains as us lot to away games and sometimes even sit in the same carriage :D

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:18 am

My mum took me to all the home games and many away games in the sixties and seventies including the promotion season
As my mates and I got older and could go to the pub she carried on following the Clarets until she moved away from the area.
The last game I took her to was Wycombe at home in 1997, she had advanced Motor Neurone Disease at this time but refused to use a wheelchair. The club were brilliant allocating a car space right outside the disabled entrance but she refused to sit in the disabled area
She cried on the way home and said it was the best day she had had since falling ill
She died in December 1997
I have kept the family tradition going. Three season tickets, my 16 year old son comes every game, and one daughter travels from Hull to nearly all home games, and my eldest son joins when he can ( I had to convert him from manure as an 8 yo). I have another daughter at Birmingham uni who comes when she can
Occasionally we all go together and it brings a year to my eye in memory of Mum. She never met three of my children and she would have been so proud to join us at the Turf
These 2 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Burnley1989

Hbclaret007
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Hbclaret007 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:36 am

Another one for the Claret Mums!
My mum took me to matches for over 20 years in my youth.
I was able to pay her back and take her, up until she was in her 80s.
We watched through some of the darkest times for BFC and although a fierce critic, she was always loyal. At the end of each dire season, she would say – that’s it, I’m not paying to watch that lot again. But she would be straight down the ticket office to complain if her season ticket didn’t arrive by her birthday on the 9th July!
What I would give to be able to go back for one match with her – even Halifax away Division 4!
I am a season ticket holder with my son and although my 2 daughters live away, they come along whenever they come home. We will all be at the Turf on Boxing Day and will raise a toast to mum!
Enjoy times with your loved ones at the happy place. UTC.
These 2 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Burnley1989

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:19 am

The best feeling in the world when your meeting your son for a few beers,the match,and a curry afterwards...I miss those days since we both moved from the area.

A.Claret.Fan
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by A.Claret.Fan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:59 am

My dad wasn't interested in football and it was my mum who took me on the Turf for the first time, to see Chelsea play. Would have been in the late 60's.

Moved down south and brought up 3 Claret supporting boys. My youngest played a half-time game for Saints v Burnley when he was 10 and still reminds me that he scored a hattrick. Wonderful day out, the Burnley staff were great and as you would expect all the fans were supportive. It's something his whole team will remembers with fondness and most of that team have Burnley as their second club.

We still manage a couple of home games a season, and quite a few away (London) games together. Something we all look forward to.

It's intrinsic to our family and hopefull for generations to come.