January 2022 Burnley Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1231 times

Re: January 2022 Burnley Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

Post by joey13 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:07 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:54 pm
The signing of Cornet does show however that they are willing to spend money, likewise Collins.
They haven’t been paid for yet

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:07 pm

Spijed wrote:
The signing of Cornet does show however that they are willing to spend money, likewise Collins.
As we stand now, the new owners are half way through their third transfer window and their Transfer business thus far presently shows an approximate profit of some £ 7.5m based upon fees mentioned in the media (Out... Wood £25m, Gibson £8m, Dunne and Benson both £1m.) ( In...Cornet £12.85m, Collins £12m, Roberts £2.5m )

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:12 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:48 pm
We currently have 3 strikers who have scored 8 goals between them in two seasons. Statistically, at best, that is a goal every 4 or so games, which means we potentially have the ability to win 1 in every fourth game by 1-0. With 21 games to play that is 12 points still about 15 away from securing our premiership place.

So, at it's most exciting we can look forward to 4 wins of 1-0, 15 draws and 2 losses in the remaining games. Weighed against that is we may sign a player that transforms the team. And of course we may not and things get much worse.

Based on probability theory excitement in the current situation is probably unlikely. A reality, which Andy Carroll is unlikely to change given the facts of his career. But as with any prediction I could be wrong.
Barnes, Rodriguez, Vydra and Cornet - I make that 4. And I have reason to believe that Cornet has scored at better than a goal every 4 games, all on is own.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:13 pm

Spijed wrote:
I think that was a one off based on the fact that the club hadn't invested for 2-3 seasons I doubt whether that will happen again.

I also doubt ALK need to bank the 20 million or whatever the fee is they receive up front. Jordan is right ALKs purchase of the club is unlikely to mean a great deal of extra spending. The only American owned club to really benefit to any extent from that kind of purchase is Liverpool albeit you could argue one Premier League title in so many years is not great for a club like that.

The teams that are investing and winning the league have owners who are Arab or Russian oligarchs who use clubs as a branding exercise and not as part of a business portfolio. As other have said the real issue is the age of the squad and I suspect that is the reason why we are struggling because a high pressing team that wins by working harder than their opponents doesn't get any better into their 30s.

As Sean Dyche says it's all about details and margins.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1702 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:14 pm

Spijed wrote:
One swallow does not make a Summer. They had a little spree in the last window, but I guess its very quiet in the club right now on the recruitment front. 14 days into the window and we are close to signing no one, with the real threat of having just one fit striker who is 32 and has scored one PL goal in 44 games. Worrying to say the least

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:15 pm

Spijed wrote:
If you takeout far more than you put in there isn’t really that much to be grateful for, i don’t think the fire sale has started yet but it’ll have to in the championship, pope & Dwight will be the first off we know JT will be gone by then.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1172 times
Has Liked: 2920 times

Post by burnleymik » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:16 pm

Apart from immediate fitness, what can Carroll bring that Barnes cannot? Isn't Barnes already back on the grass and so should be upto playing soon? We desperately need a player that can make a difference, not a downgrade on what we had.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6759 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:16 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:50 pm
Sign no one omg just goes to show the mentally on here of some fan's :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I didn't say that.
I believe signing no-one would be better than signing Carroll

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:16 pm

frankinwales wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:58 pm

I don't know how to quote a portion of a post.
You simply put your curser in it and delete what you don't want in the usual way - using the Backspace (or Back) keyboard button or Right click and sweep over the text then press 'Back'.
Last edited by Hipper on Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: frankinwales

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:16 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:12 pm
Barnes, Rodriguez, Vydra and Cornet - I make that 4. And I have reason to believe that Cornet has scored at better than a goal every 4 games, all on is own.
Cornet is not a striker.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:21 pm

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:38 pm
Let’s see what happens before criticising our recruitment. As far as I’m concerned, even if we go down, £25M is better invested on a couple of players with growth potential than Chris Wood. It’s the start of the rebuild. The new owners have done well so far, the summer showed some forward thinking and planning for the future. Selling a 30 year old striker in poor form for a record over 30 price is good business, now it’s about investing wisely. Give the owners at least a little time to pull off what they can.
I don't think the Summer was that good. We chose to target some highly competitive free transfers which were unlikely to go our way. Albrighton was a good shout in terms of the type of right winger we needed, but not one for the future and again, unlikely to go or way. We then spent the rest of the window chasing after the same two targets, throwing more and more money at their clubs until they eventually said yes. To say that we looked bereft of ideas is flattering.

Cornet is a quality player, but we didn't need another starting left winger as a matter of urgency. Our big spend should have been on a right winger or a central midfielder. We moved Dwight to the right to make way for Cornet and found his defensive game needed work. So then we shifted him up front and for some reason we kept Dwight on the right and played JBG on the left. Moving Cornet revealed him to be an excellent technical player and a good addition ( but a club record fee isn't a bargain price in my books ), but it changed our attacking dynamic and Woody looked to suffer a lot from the change. I can't work out why we didn't keep with Dwight on the left and play Cornet on the right, he played on the right at Lyon and he did really well in that slot. His flexibility is his greatest asset.

Cornet looks like a cracking player, but another starting left winger wasn't an urgent priority and it will be interesting to see how he gets on up front when he returns - without Woody keeping the oppositions defenders off his back. In terms of the price Teun Koopmeiners went to Atlanta and he has the making or a world class player. Could have beat Atalanta to his signature, probably not, but his transfer fee of 11m puts the 13.5m transfer fee of Cornet into perspective. Koopmeiners would have been immense for us and he is already proving his quality and worth at Atalanta.

Nathan Collins looks like a solid acquisition, but once again we got price gouged and he wasn't cheap. I would have probably gone for Amos Pieper, but the way Collins has taken to the higher standard of the PL has been phenomenal and every credit has to be extended to him. 12.5m wasn't the bargain of the century though. Pieper is still at the Arminia Bielefield, the perennial relegation candidates of the Bundesliga, and will still be out of contract at the end of this season. However, given our current relegation stature I think signing him might have become Pieper dream.

So forgive me for doubting that our recruitment team are up tot he task of rebuilding the team, which would probably require 4 or 5 signings at the least, with the money that I believe we will have available to us if we remain in the PL. In my opinion their task would be even more daunting if we find ourselves back in the Championship.

Getting rid of Mike Rigg was the best bit of business we did last Summer and it massively improved us. However, we still seem to be suffering from a bit of a hangover and I feel that the profoundly negative impact he had us in still being felt in some areas.

For me the Summer was too little too late, we could have and should have done more to address the major areas that we needed to improve and we should have made provisions for the " what if we get relegated " scenario that is currently being played out.
These 2 users liked this post: cockneyclaret DCWat

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:24 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:12 pm
Fair point but is Cornet a striker? If so then you would also include Mc Neil so we now have 5 strikers who have scored 7 goals between them this season.

Anyway, enough of the negativity let's hope we make some great signing to replace wotsisname.

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:26 pm

Long time lurker Cornet is a right winger but Dyche plays him on the left and McNeil on the right probably because he cut in and smashed a long range goal once whist playing on the right when he played against Everton
Last edited by ClaretMov on Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5660 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:27 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:26 pm
Cornet is a right winger but Dyche plays him on the left and McNeil on the right probably because he cut in and smashed a long range goal whilst playing on the right once when he played v Everton
his country also play him on the left wing

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:30 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:27 pm
his country also play him on the left wing
Not always, McNeil can't cross from the right Cornet can't cut in from the left, Dyche is getting about 40% from both these playing them on the wrong wings

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:30 pm

LTL-we need to get you working in our recruitment team, if only as a consultant , with your vast knowledge of players. Last week we played a club barely 20 miles away and realised they had at least 3 players that would improve us.Then we saw Forest beat Arsenal and thought the same again.Its not rocket science.I am sure a work placement student with a passion and knowlege of football, or someone retired, would make us more productive
This user liked this post: ClaretMov

Denno97
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by Denno97 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:33 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:30 pm
Not always, McNeil can't cross from the right Cornet can't cut in from the left, Dyche is getting about 40% from both these playing them on the wrong wings
McNeil has looked more threatening on the right than the left this season. And we’ve always been better with inverted wingers under Dyche, namely Boyd and Arfield. It’s about finding a right footed winger to play on the left

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:36 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:30 pm
granted, I've not seen him play a lot for either his country or Lyon (maybe 15 times in total), but I've never once seen him anywhere other than the left side. When has he played on the right ?

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:39 pm

Denno97 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:33 pm
McNeil has looked more threatening on the right than the left this season. And we’ve always been better with inverted wingers under Dyche, namely Boyd and Arfield. It’s about finding a right footed winger to play on the left
McNeil this season has 0 goals and 1 assists and that was when he played on the left

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:40 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:36 pm
granted, I've not seen him play a lot for either his country or Lyon (maybe 15 times in total), but I've never once seen him anywhere other than the left side. When has he played on the right ?
Earlier in his career he was a RW, then played on the left for a couple of seasons. His best career stats were playing RW.
These 3 users liked this post: ClaretMov ClaretAL Vegas Claret

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:46 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:36 pm
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/maxwel- ... d/0/pos/12

54 games as a right winger, yielding 19 goals and 10 assists. Compared to Dwight who has produced very little on the right and looks far less effective than he does on the left.

However, we seem to be forgetting that with the departure of Wood Dwight no longer has anybody to cross to.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretMov Vegas Claret

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:50 pm

We are dinosaurs aren't we when it comes to modern football? 442 has to go. Cornet and Dwight need to be in a forward 3, along with a central striker. The former 2 need to be freed up more to attack.

Collins, Tarks and Mee can defend and crucially be a potent threat from set pieces. Roberts or Lowton and Charlie can get to the bye- line and that leaves 2 key roles in cm. I like both Westy and Brownhill, but we need better as starters and that along with a new cf is where we need to invest first.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:50 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:40 pm
Earlier in his career he was a RW, then played on the left for a couple of seasons. His best career stats were playing RW.
Which LTL has been kind enough to provide…

Welcome back LTL. I’d been wondering where you were. Looking forward to reading your posts properly later.

Denno97
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by Denno97 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:53 pm

Denno97 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:33 pm
Not saying he’s been good. But his best recent performance was the first half against United on the right. Got switched to the left 2nd half and hardly touched the ball

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:53 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:50 pm
We are dinosaurs aren't we when it comes to modern football? 442 has to go. Cornet and Dwight need to be in a forward 3, along with a central striker. The former 2 need to be freed up more to attack.

Collins, Tarks and Mee can defend and crucially be a potent threat from set pieces. Roberts or Lowton and Charlie can get to the bye- line and that leaves 2 key roles in cm. I like both Westy and Brownhill, but we need better as starters and that along with a new cf is where we need to invest first.
Bloody spot on

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:55 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:50 pm

In a 4-3-3 it is not necessary for the full-backs to get to the bye-line.
Truth is we need modern coaching, and players capable of holding the ball and making short, accurate passes...
like most decent teams.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretMov BLH_Claret

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:56 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:21 pm
I don't think the Summer was that good. We chose to target some highly competitive free transfers which were unlikely to go our way. Albrighton was a good shout in terms of the type of right winger we needed, but not one for the future and again, unlikely to go or way. We then spent the rest of the window chasing after the same two targets, throwing more and more money at their clubs until they eventually said yes. To say that we looked bereft of ideas is flattering.

Cornet is a quality player, but we didn't need another starting left winger as a matter of urgency. Our big spend should have been on a right winger or a central midfielder. We moved Dwight to the right to make way for Cornet and found his defensive game needed work. So then we shifted him up front and for some reason we kept Dwight on the right and played JBG on the left. Moving Cornet revealed him to be an excellent technical player and a good addition ( but a club record fee isn't a bargain price in my books ), but it changed our attacking dynamic and Woody looked to suffer a lot from the change. I can't work out why we didn't keep with Dwight on the left and play Cornet on the right, he played on the right at Lyon and he did really well in that slot. His flexibility is his greatest asset.

Cornet looks like a cracking player, but another starting left winger wasn't an urgent priority and it will be interesting to see how he gets on up front when he returns - without Woody keeping the oppositions defenders off his back. In terms of the price Teun Koopmeiners went to Atlanta and he has the making or a world class player. Could have beat Atalanta to his signature, probably not, but his transfer fee of 11m puts the 13.5m transfer fee of Cornet into perspective. Koopmeiners would have been immense for us and he is already proving his quality and worth at Atalanta.

Nathan Collins looks like a solid acquisition, but once again we got price gouged and he wasn't cheap. I would have probably gone for Amos Pieper, but the way Collins has taken to the higher standard of the PL has been phenomenal and every credit has to be extended to him. 12.5m wasn't the bargain of the century though. Pieper is still at the Arminia Bielefield, the perennial relegation candidates of the Bundesliga, and will still be out of contract at the end of this season. However, given our current relegation stature I think signing him might have become Pieper dream.

So forgive me for doubting that our recruitment team are up tot he task of rebuilding the team, which would probably require 4 or 5 signings at the least, with the money that I believe we will have available to us if we remain in the PL. In my opinion their task would be even more daunting if we find ourselves back in the Championship.

Getting rid of Mike Rigg was the best bit of business we did last Summer and it massively improved us. However, we still seem to be suffering from a bit of a hangover and I feel that the profoundly negative impact he had us in still being felt in some areas.

For me the Summer was too little too late, we could have and should have done more to address the major areas that we needed to improve and we should have made provisions for the " what if we get relegated " scenario that is currently being played out.
Moving toward identifying players, ahead of their value skyrocketing, must be the aim for our scouting team. Good signings that Cornet and Collins no doubting are, I certainly agree with what your saying in terms of value. In saying that though, I’d expect that both will ultimately be sold for far more than we paid for them.

I can’t really question many if not all of your recommendations, I’ve never heard of half of them, but the approach you advocate is something that makes perfect sense to me.

I’m also in the camp that the summer window, albeit a vast improvement, did not address key issues. Issues that have been evident to most for a long time.

The kicking of the can is coming home to roost, a window sooner than I thought it would.

Concerning times!

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:59 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:55 pm
In a 4-3-3 it is not necessary for the full-backs to get to the bye-line.
Truth is we need modern coaching, and players capable of holding the ball and making short, accurate passes...
like most decent teams.
It was 343, as I thought was obvious.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2013 times
Has Liked: 2913 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:04 pm

joey13 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:07 pm
Grow up

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:06 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:04 pm
Grow up
Can you prove the full transfer fees been paid & no instalments are outstanding?

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:06 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:48 pm
We currently have 3 strikers who have scored 8 goals between them in two seasons. Statistically, at best, that is a goal every 4 or so games, which means we potentially have the ability to win 1 in every fourth game by 1-0. With 21 games to play that is 12 points still about 15 away from securing our premiership place.

So, at it's most exciting we can look forward to 4 wins of 1-0, 15 draws and 2 losses in the remaining games. Weighed against that is we may sign a player that transforms the team. And of course we may not and things get much worse.

Based on probability theory excitement in the current situation is probably unlikely. A reality, which Andy Carroll is unlikely to change given the facts of his career. But as with any prediction I could be wrong.
I love your stats, CPete, but, shouldn't your post have quoted my earlier post about the football analysts on our mb?

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:17 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:59 pm
Sorry,

I interpreted The Mee, Tarks, Collins centre backs as perm 2 from 3. In fact it could be just Collins in a short while.
But the need to get to the bye-line and get crosses in was more then point I was making.
That is dinosaur football.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:18 pm

LaLigaClaret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:01 pm
We needed a number of new players before losing Wood. I said on other posts that posters shouldn't be so euphoric over losing Wood and in response there was a load of nonsense spoken about being willing to drive him to Newcastle, that he was shite and all the rest of it. So then how all of them must feel now, are they so happy about the prospect of the injury prone, slow, old and totally past it Carroll that is not even good enough for the Championship being linked with us ? FFS what a pathetic travesty and a complete joke. Its surely a wind up.
You do realise that Wood only left yesterday and Carroll hasn’t actually signed don’t you?

Bit early for the “told you so” posts.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:31 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:59 pm
Sorry,

I interpreted The Mee, Tarks, Collins centre backs as perm 2 from 3. In fact it could be just Collins in a short while.
But the need to get to the bye-line and get crosses in was more then point I was making.
That is dinosaur football.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:31 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:21 pm

Cornet is a quality player, ( but a club record fee isn't a bargain price in my books ),
You are mixing up euros and pounds. The reported fee for Cornet was Euros 15 million, which works out around £12.8 million. So, not a club record fee - and not that much more than Nathan Collins.

I don't get this "we didn't need another left winger..." We needed a player like Maxwel Cornet - and I'd expect we'd all like more - it doesn't matter where Sean Dyche chooses to start him. We've always had our wingers switching wings from time to time. What Maxwel Cornet brings, that we've been missing, is scoring goals.

UTC

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:40 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:31 pm
You are mixing up euros and pounds. The reported fee for Cornet was Euros 15 million, which works out around £12.8 million. So, not a club record fee - and not that much more than Nathan Collins.

I don't get this "we didn't need another left winger..." We needed a player like Maxwel Cornet - and I'd expect we'd all like more - it doesn't matter where Sean Dyche chooses to start him. We've always had our wingers switching wings from time to time. What Maxwel Cornet brings, that we've been missing, is scoring goals.

UTC
And Cornet scores goals instinctively, with great anticipation. His performances have probably led to half our points, and he has only played in about half our games. Pray he will stay with us in the Championship and he could emulate Danny Ings's year and tally with us when we got auto promotion, or Andre Gray's when we won the title

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:44 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
As we stand now, the new owners are half way through their third transfer window and their Transfer business thus far presently shows an approximate profit of some £ 7.5m based upon fees mentioned in the media (Out... Wood £25m, Gibson £8m, Dunne and Benson both £1m.) ( In...Cornet £12.85m, Collins £12m, Roberts £2.5m )
Unbelievable that we haven't spent the wood money yet. Sack the board!

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:45 pm

We still play the boring football from yesteryear that LTL alludes to, it’s just that it’s not effective anymore.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:45 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:44 pm
Unbelievable that we haven't spent the wood money yet. Sack the board!
Steady...

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:47 pm

joey13 wrote:
do you think Man United have paid for Van De Beek, Ronaldo, Sancho in full ?? :lol:

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:48 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:45 pm
We still play the boring football from yesteryear that LTL alludes to, it’s just that it’s not effective anymore.
Strange isn't it?
the style of football we seem to want to play is the very same as that which we were so effective defending against.
We played far better football with Hendrick as a 10.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:50 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:18 pm
You do realise that Wood only left yesterday and Carroll hasn’t actually signed don’t you?

Bit early for the “told you so” posts.
We will know it is happening when they roll out the cotton wool carpet at the training ground. We might as well start as we mean to go on, doing everything possible to prevent any injuries to Carroll.

If it happens it happens. Looking towards Carroll as our relegation saviour is not something I expected to see, but I doubt a recruitment team that didn't expect to be doing any work in this window will be hard pushed to step into over drive in the space of two weeks.

All told I feel pretty calm about our current situation. I think I resigned myself to the idea of relegation when I saw our new tactical approach in the first couple of games. Losing Wood and the potential to shift back to the boring / effective way that we played in previous seasons has simply capped things off.

If he has recovered from his niggling injuries and he is available for PL experience then Liam Delap is our answer and if we haven't already made the call to Pep then questions need to be asked.

I can't see us surviving much longer, but another season would at least buy us the time to prepare a squad that can compete in the Championship and win promotion in a season ( I suspect that winning it in the second season would be better for us financially ).

As things stand I can't see us having what it takes to mastermind a major squad overhaul when a lot of money will have to go towards servicing our debt. Spending the parachute money on a lot of expensive players or high wage players in a risky " all or nothing " gambit to win promotion would be suicide. The last team that tried that and failed was Middlesbrough. Worryingly the bulk of our recruitment team and our new Technical Advisor were involved in that free spending fiasco. Hopefully, we won't go down and if we do they have learned their lesson.

DuckworthsEA
Been Liked: 45 times

Post by DuckworthsEA » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:56 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:06 pm
Can you prove the full transfer fees been paid & no instalments are outstanding?
What are you trying to say? The board have to pay transfer fees upfront? If so…why?

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:58 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:06 pm
I love your stats, CPete, but, shouldn't your post have quoted my earlier post about the football analysts on our mb?
Why thank you, I regard myself as an expert on Wikipedia stats. My feeling is that even the football experts on the telly would find it difficult to explain your excitement.

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:58 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:29 pm
We've just got £25m in, let's try and improve the team and stay in the league, what is this defeatist Andy Carroll talk.
I don’t write this as a Carroll backer but most on here wanted us to sign a striker before the out of the blue sale of Wood. We now therefore need two strikers as well as RM & CM. £25m on four signings won’t improve us much. As always with likkle old Burnley they will be last week signings of players nobody else wants.

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:58 pm

I get why there is so much negativity, but I'm still inclined to not write us off. There are no other sides with as much heart and soul as Burnley in the Premier League, however much they spend. Great escapes have happened before from teams that have been more or less written off (Sheffield Utd, Crystal Palace, Portsmouth), and we have as much chance as any bar Norwich. Come on folks.

I refuse to down tools and accept that it may be over. It's not the Burnley way. Orient '87. Plymouth '98(?). Backs to the wall is when we step up when the supporters are behind us.

UTC
This user liked this post: minnieclaret

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:02 pm

Surely our recruitment team have been looking at potential targets from lower domestic leagues, and Europe.
They must have lists of possibles.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:05 pm

minnieclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:58 pm
I don’t write this as a Carroll backer but most on here wanted us to sign a striker before the out of the blue sale of Wood. We now therefore need two strikers as well as RM & CM. £25m on four signings won’t improve us much. As always with likkle old Burnley they will be last week signings of players nobody else wants.
Summed up perfectly by old Abe Lincoln
Long Time Lurker wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:42 pm

For our American owners I offer up a quote - Abraham Lincoln " Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle ".
Fail to be proactive and you end up paying over the odds for the last minute left overs that your proactive competitors didn't want.
This user liked this post: summitclaret

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:08 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:02 pm
Surely our recruitment team have been looking at potential targets from lower domestic leagues, and Europe.
They must have lists of possibles.
From what CT said the other day we haven't been looking at any strikers, so we have just more or less condemned ourselves haven't we?

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:11 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:08 pm
From what CT said the other day we haven't been looking at any strikers, so we have just more or less condemned ourselves haven't we?
What are we paying these people for?