Aldi bargain Xmas food

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Re: Aldi bargain Xmas food

Post by Tribesmen » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:58 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:23 pm
I think most people do their weekly shop from two supermarkets

Aldi and Asda are next to each other near me thankfully, as Aldi are good for some stuff, and not so good for other stuff
Yer i do my weekly shop in two supermarkets also , Dunnes for most and Tesco's for something really nice , hey i would say i have been to Aldi about 3
times in my life

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:47 pm

MACCA wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:44 am
Warned the wife about aldi..
Mince meat is 25% fat, and clearly displayed, tastes sh1te
just opened a Turkey crown, and it stinks of egg, its gone straight in the bin, and Mrs Macca is now dashing round the shops looking for a replacement

Good job we cook all the meats the day before.

Told her numerous times, buy cheap, buy twice

All this "it tastes exactly the same/better" is utterly b0ll0cks
Starting to realise with Aldi /Lidl to buy only things less likely to go off, ie beer, wine, sugar, cereal , coffee etc . Their beef is very tough, their eggs are likely to throw up a regular"bad one" and their fruit has got a short life. I don't think I could venture to buy an unfrozen turkey from them when Sainsburys are also in town

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:07 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:47 pm
Starting to realise with Aldi /Lidl to buy only things less likely to go off, ie beer, wine, sugar, cereal , coffee etc . Their beef is very tough, their eggs are likely to throw up a regular"bad one" and their fruit has got a short life. I don't think I could venture to buy an unfrozen turkey from them when Sainsburys are also in town
I think I've only been in 4 times, the wife "nips" in for bits and sometimes buys other bits for tea, but I can instantly tell if she's got mince from there rather than the butchers, or even Tesco!

I've not got a leg to stand on though as she just says do the shopping yourself.

I genuinely don't believe people who say it tastes the same or better than the brand.
We didn't get paid for 8 weeks over covid/lockdown part 1, so started shopping there in a bid to save cash, and I don't think I tasted anything that was better than the brand it's tried to copy.

It's like Hollands trying to pretend they're Haffners

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 589 times

Post by rob63 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:16 pm

Rowls wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:21 am
Supermarket meat is mass produced and notoriously bland. It has its place in society but treat yourself every now and again to meat from an animal reared properly - outdoors eating naturaly produce like grass, hay or meal.

Sometimes, all you need when you have a great piece of meat is just a little salt next to it.

Take this farm from Todmorden:

https://porcus.co.uk/

I actually daren't look at their prices because I suspect it's a lot more than the pork in Aldi but I will treat myself to some of their stuff when I'm next in the area and I'm especially keen to sample their charcuterie.
Porcus were featured on the Hairy Bikers Xmas special the other night, their charcuterie got a rave review
This user liked this post: Rowls

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6916 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:54 pm

Love Aldi, we had a great thread a while ago about the centre isles.

Claretincraven
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Post by Claretincraven » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:18 pm

Haven’t read the whole thread, but I can tell you one thing as a, relatively,part time farmer.
The 30 day dry aged Angus steaks are the best. Tender, tasty, British. A mate of mine who ran the Morrisons slaughterhouse at Colne now only gets his steaks from Aldi.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1509 times
Has Liked: 582 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:05 pm

MACCA wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:07 pm
I think I've only been in 4 times, the wife "nips" in for bits and sometimes buys other bits for tea, but I can instantly tell if she's got mince from there rather than the butchers, or even Tesco!

I've not got a leg to stand on though as she just says do the shopping yourself.

I genuinely don't believe people who say it tastes the same or better than the brand.
We didn't get paid for 8 weeks over covid/lockdown part 1, so started shopping there in a bid to save cash, and I don't think I tasted anything that was better than the brand it's tried to copy.

It's like Hollands trying to pretend they're Haffners
I have to agree with this. We tried Aldi for a few weeks but found the quality generally disappointing. It good for stocking up on baby stuff like nappies and wipes but the produce itself, not great. Lidl is much better, though we tend to shop at Morrisons or Sainsburys.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:09 pm

NickBFC wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:19 pm
Surely this one... :? :D

Got this in the work’s secret Santa!

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1188 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:11 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:05 pm
I have to agree with this. We tried Aldi for a few weeks but found the quality generally disappointing. It good for stocking up on baby stuff like nappies and wipes but the produce itself, not great. Lidl is much better, though we tend to shop at Morrisons or Sainsburys.
It’s just knowing what’s acceptable quality wise it’s very hit & miss, if you experiment you find out in no time what to avoid & what to repeat buy.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 507 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:07 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:10 pm
That's near enough my recipe, apart from the allspice. How much allspice do you use?
The original recipe I followed for a big batch suggested 2 tea spoons. Same amount as the cumin. After much trial and improvement I tend to use a bit less though.

Another tip worth sharing is to always use whole tinned toms instead of chopped. They're always ripe and undamaged whereas all the unripe and damaged ones end up in the chopped tins. Stands to reason.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:21 pm

We shop in Aldi.

My wife bought a Gammon joint for Christmas to put in the slow cooker for Christmas Day. I read it was reconstituted, probably with the layer of fat stuck on the side. Had to go haffners for a proper joint.

Won't stop us from shopping at Aldi

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2701 times

Post by fatboy47 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:14 pm

I know people (usually insecure herberts) who really do believe that using the more expensive supermarkets actually elevates their social status.

Explains why Im starting to see increasing numbers of deadbeat and unwashed proles in Waitrose and more than a few Mercs on Lidls car park.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:36 am

Herts Clarets wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:27 am
I shall be adding onions, garlic, paprika, cumin, chilli powder, tomatoes, beef stock, salt and pepper and kidney beans so there will be no shortage of flavour.
Add a splash of Dr Pepper or grape jelly. Lovely extra layer of sweetness and depth.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5178 times

Post by Rowls » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:31 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:15 pm
Are you Jacob Rees-Mogg?
No, we are different people. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:37 am

what_no_pies wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:07 pm
The original recipe I followed for a big batch suggested 2 tea spoons. Same amount as the cumin. After much trial and improvement I tend to use a bit less though.

Another tip worth sharing is to always use whole tinned toms instead of chopped. They're always ripe and undamaged whereas all the unripe and damaged ones end up in the chopped tins. Stands to reason.
Thanks for that.

100% agree with whole tinned toms. I once worked with an Italian bloke, and he scoffed at people using tins of chopped tomatoes. Apparently, they are either what's leftover from the processing or from a poor/damage crop. If I'm doing a quick pasta meal with a tomato based sauce - I'll use tinned cherry tomatoes. It really does make a difference.

ecc
Been Liked: 1443 times
Has Liked: 1290 times

Post by ecc » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:29 am

The vast majority of the world's population wouldn't given a damn about the quality of Aldi's food.

Elder statesman
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Elder statesman » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:41 pm

what_no_pies wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:23 am
I never used to really enjoy a chilli until a friend shared their recipe.

Now make it regularly using braising steak / silverside / featherblade or another slow cooker cut in chunks. Start off frying off some spicy chorizo then use the oil to soften the onion and garlic. My current recipe includes ancho chillies, birds eye chillis, cumin, allspice, Corriander seeds, bay leaves, cider vinegar, cloves & cinnamon (among other things).

I'm now obligated to cook extra every batch and deliver around to friends and family. Good job its a labour of love. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Happy to share the recipe if anyone is interested.
Would love the recipe please Steve, thanks

what_no_pies

Post by what_no_pies » Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:50 pm

Tried to add the original recipe I work from as attachments, hopefully it works. Personal preference but I tend to tweak as follows:

- Not use red wine, I find its plenty rich enough without.
- Add corriander seeds (which I toast with the cumin seeds before grinding).
- Add the dried chillis when frying stuff off to release the oils. I use ancho (smokey) and birds eye (sharpness). Both easy enough to find dried and/or in flake form.
- Use a mix of Barlotti and Kidney beans which I add before it goes in the oven. Beans should be stewed forever in my view.
- Generally cook for longer.

Next time I make it I'm gonna marinate the beef the night before cooking too.

The soured cream and fresh corriander are essential additions for serving.

Oh, and I'm not Steve 😂
Attachments
Screenshot_20211226_164048_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.docs.jpg
Screenshot_20211226_164048_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.docs.jpg (443.72 KiB) Viewed 2032 times
Screenshot_20211226_164042_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.docs.jpg
Screenshot_20211226_164042_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.docs.jpg (411.34 KiB) Viewed 2032 times

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:05 pm

I suppose it’s all down to what values you have. And let’s be honest, ive seen photographs of many of the main posters who use this board and having good ethics is way down the list when it comes to being healthy etc. Waitrose is the best for me. Just go to the bakery there and you wont step foot in these cheap chavvy supermarkets ever again. My wife would leave me if I dared ask her to frequent these sorts of places. Its like going to Weatherspoons or Yates for a pub lunch. Why would you go out and have a microwave meal when there are quality restaurants out there? Go and try the No.1 Spelt & Rye Sourdough in Waitrose and tell me these other places (I don’t even like to mention) are better.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8539 times
Has Liked: 18289 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:13 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:05 pm
I suppose it’s all down to what values you have. And let’s be honest, ive seen photographs of many of the main posters who use this board and having good ethics is way down the list when it comes to being healthy etc. Waitrose is the best for me. Just go to the bakery there and you wont step foot in these cheap chavvy supermarkets ever again. My wife would leave me if I dared ask her to frequent these sorts of places. Its like going to Weatherspoons or Yates for a pub lunch. Why would you go out and have a microwave meal when there are quality restaurants out there? Go and try the No.1 Spelt & Rye Sourdough in Waitrose and tell me these other places (I don’t even like to mention) are better.
😂😂😂 Weatherspoons 😂😂😂 not many of those out in Malaga eh PPP...

I hope your spelling is better when writing out your summing up for the Judge 😉
This user liked this post: ksrclaret

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3877 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:23 pm

We had an Aldi Turkey crown as well as Lamb and it was Bob on.

There is a newspaper article online about a lot of Turkeys being off though accross all the supermarkets, including Marks and Sparks.

Elder statesman

Post by Elder statesman » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:14 am

what_no_pies wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:50 pm
Tried to add the original recipe I work from as attachments, hopefully it works. Personal preference but I tend to tweak as follows:

- Not use red wine, I find its plenty rich enough without.
- Add corriander seeds (which I toast with the cumin seeds before grinding).
- Add the dried chillis when frying stuff off to release the oils. I use ancho (smokey) and birds eye (sharpness). Both easy enough to find dried and/or in flake form.
- Use a mix of Barlotti and Kidney beans which I add before it goes in the oven. Beans should be stewed forever in my view.
- Generally cook for longer.

Next time I make it I'm gonna marinate the beef the night before cooking too.

The soured cream and fresh corriander are essential additions for serving.

Oh, and I'm not Steve 😂
Thanks a lot and sorry about getting your name wrong. I'll try this for NYE.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:03 am

Full refund incomings, customer services were fantastic to be fair, took onlh 5 minutes.
Sadly I've to spend the money there, but we go through lots of dog food and baby wipes so can at least stock up on those items.

Think that will hopefully be the final straw for the Mrs, I just sat a little smug whilst she flapped about and had to go out looking for a replacemen.

what_no_pies

Post by what_no_pies » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:51 am

'Replace men'? Be careful Macca. She might do depending on your level of smugness...
This user liked this post: lesxdp

what_no_pies

Post by what_no_pies » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:52 am

Elder statesman wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:14 am
Thanks a lot and sorry about getting your name wrong. I'll try this for NYE.
I hope you enjoy it. Happy New Year for when the time comes.

From Steve 😜

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2573 times
Has Liked: 771 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:55 am

pushpinpussy wrote:
Wife :D

This lie in even more transparent than your festive whopper last year. :lol: ;)
This user liked this post: Steve1956

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 524 times

Post by beddie » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:16 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:
I respect your opinion pushpinpussy but not everyone can afford to shop in Waitrose.

what_no_pies

Post by what_no_pies » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:18 pm

My favourite part was questioning people's ethics on the basis of their photograph. Top marks for that one.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:52 pm

what_no_pies wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:18 pm
My favourite part was questioning people's ethics on the basis of their photograph. Top marks for that one.
:lol:
What tickles me most about that guy is how hard he tries..... :roll:

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:53 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:55 am
Wife :D

This lie in even more transparent than your festive whopper last year. :lol: ;)
Wife :lol:

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:59 pm

beddie wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:16 pm
I respect your opinion pushpinpussy but not everyone can afford to shop in Waitrose.
You think PPP shops in Waitrose 😂😂😂 He is definitely a Tesco-express wallah ...

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:07 pm

beddie wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:16 pm
On selected certain items you could validly argue that the quality found at Aldi supersedes the quality found at Waitrose again on selected certain items & I’d also include Marks & Spencer’s & booths with that.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Elder statesman

Post by Elder statesman » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:52 pm

what_no_pies wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:52 am
I hope you enjoy it. Happy New Year for when the time comes.

From Steve 😜
Cheers, and the same to you, wasn't sure about the wine? Were you saying leave it out as its rich enough?
Thanks again

pushpinpussy

Post by pushpinpussy » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:01 pm

you will be surprised at the cost of steaks at Waitrose. some really good bargains in fact. our new year eves meal will consist of the Hereford Beef Fillet Steak. Costs about 15 quid each but well worth it. i like to make it with a anchovy and rosemary butter sauce. Cant wait.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2701 times

Post by fatboy47 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:27 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:
Just go to the bakery there and you wont step foot in these cheap chavvy supermarkets ever again. My wife would leave me if I dared ask her to frequent these sorts of places.

What a lovely basis for a relationship...must be great to have a partner who can only stand you because you use her preferred retailer.
Doesn't sound vain and shallow at all.

what_no_pies

Post by what_no_pies » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:32 pm

Elder statesman wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:52 pm
Cheers, and the same to you, wasn't sure about the wine? Were you saying leave it out as its rich enough?
Thanks again

I think it's fine with a splash of water but my mate who shared the original recipe vouches for using wine.

Personally I choose to drink the wine instead. Might be why I enjoy the chilli so much 🤣

pushpinpussy

Post by pushpinpussy » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:39 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:27 pm
What a lovely basis for a relationship...must be great to have a partner who can only stand you because you use her preferred retailer.
Doesn't sound vain and shallow at all.
she just has very high standards which i like. would i go out with a girl who shops at Aldi or Lidl. definitely not. its embarrassing to think that someone would go there when all those decent supermarkets with quality products exist.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:42 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:39 pm
she just has very high standards which i like. would i go out with a girl who shops at Aldi or Lidl. definitely not. its embarrassing to think that someone would go there when all those decent supermarkets with quality products exist.
People tend to shop in keeping with their budgets given different financial circumstances some people would probably prefer shopping high end it’s not embarrassing it’s the reality people live in.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1033 times
Has Liked: 1522 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:46 pm

what_no_pies wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:23 am
I never used to really enjoy a chilli until a friend shared their recipe.

Now make it regularly using braising steak / silverside / featherblade or another slow cooker cut in chunks. Start off frying off some spicy chorizo then use the oil to soften the onion and garlic. My current recipe includes ancho chillies, birds eye chillis, cumin, allspice, Corriander seeds, bay leaves, cider vinegar, cloves & cinnamon (among other things).

I'm now obligated to cook extra every batch and deliver around to friends and family. Good job its a labour of love. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Happy to share the recipe if anyone is interested.
Get yourself some brisket.

Or at a mininum something like Skirt or Bavette.

Really benefits from having the fat which renders down beautifully

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2573 times
Has Liked: 771 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:47 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:42 pm
People tend to shop in keeping with their budgets given different financial circumstances some people would probably prefer shopping high end it’s not embarrassing it’s the reality people live in.
No need to feed PPP. He's a fantasist who last year boasted he was holidaying in Spain over Christmas and couldn't believe that anyone would stay in England, only to be found out when it was revealed he was posting from a Burnley IP address.

Always assume PPP does completely the opposite of what he posts.

taio
Been Liked: 3249 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:50 pm

Biggest bullshitter on this board by some distance is PPP

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:52 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:47 pm
No need to feed PPP. He's a fantasist who last year boasted he was holidaying in Spain over Christmas and couldn't believe that anyone would stay in England, only to be found out when it was revealed he was posting from a Burnley IP address.

Always assume PPP does completely the opposite of what he posts.
Probably just a snobby shopper you do get them, I use all supermarkets from Aldi to Marks & Spencer’s depending on convenience & i know for a fact some shoppers I’ve encountered in the high end supermarkets wouldn’t be seen dead in a Aldi or Lidl.

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:56 pm

Love me a bit of shopping in Aldi. TBH we get most of our stuff there but do a big shop at Tesco or Morrisons sometimes.....even bought some posh nosh from M&S this Christmas as I got a £100 voucher from work for there.....Aldi has some good stuff....

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:41 pm

ClaretDiver wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:56 pm
Love me a bit of shopping in Aldi. TBH we get most of our stuff there but do a big shop at Tesco or Morrisons sometimes.....even bought some posh nosh from M&S this Christmas as I got a £100 voucher from work for there.....Aldi has some good stuff....
We mainly shop in Morrisons ... but we do use Booths, Lidl, Aldi and Marks an Sparks at times ... cannot be doing with snobbery in shopping ... we get what we like, when we want it, from where we want to get it ...

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:47 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:41 pm
We mainly shop in Morrisons ... but we do use Booths, Lidl, Aldi and Marks an Sparks at times ... cannot be doing with snobbery in shopping ... we get what we like, when we want it, from where we want to get it ...
Exactly Pal! Hope you have a good Christmas!

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:52 pm

ClaretDiver wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:47 pm
Exactly Pal! Hope you have a good Christmas!
We have had an excellent one buddy 👍

what_no_pies

Post by what_no_pies » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:53 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:46 pm
Get yourself some brisket.

Or at a mininum something like Skirt or Bavette.

Really benefits from having the fat which renders down beautifully
I've used shin before following the same logic. Cooking a large batch and adding so much of everything else means a cheaper cut is fine (although I always get the meat from a quality butcher). Will try a brisket next time though. Those small adjustments that stick are the key the success of any recipe.

Thanks for the suggestion.

what_no_pies

Post by what_no_pies » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:31 pm

Elder statesman wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:41 pm
Would love the recipe please Steve, thanks
Did you cook the chilli? I've just got one in the oven now so thought I'd see whether you'd enjoyed it.

Lovely smells wafting through the house here 😊

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:58 pm

Going back to the turnover of staff, the decent ones with good customer service tend to stay on.