its obvious we are dropping

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

its obvious we are dropping

Post by Papabendi » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:45 pm

Just get with it, and all will be OK. We aren't going to win 8-9 games next year, we are done as a team at this level.
Don't be the addict thinking next time will be different x

Johma
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Re: its obvious we are dropping

Post by Johma » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:46 pm

Was going to take this serious, but cant take anybody serious when posting a kiss at the end of a stupid enough post
These 4 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Bosscat Norman Quicknick

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:48 pm

No it’s not x

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:49 pm

Misread and thought we’d been doping for a minute x
This user liked this post: Norman

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:52 pm

Cubanforever
Been Liked: 222 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by Cubanforever » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:53 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:45 pm
Just get with it, and all will be OK. We aren't going to win 8-9 games next year, we are done as a team at this level.
I'll be OK if we go down, but I'm not OK with defeatist with over half a season left, I'm OK with you being like that though as I'm not sure who you support

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:58 pm

I really don't mind the Championship. Sure it gets quite tedious if you're hanging around in mid-table with nothing to play for from February, but plenty of fairly local away games and not having to be subjected to "Pep" and his ilk more than make up for that.

So it looks like this is goodbye Papabendi. We'll be sad to see you go, but hope to see you back posting again if/ when we come back up. Farewell, mate. X

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:06 am

given players ages, positions and contract lengths we are realistically going to lose Tarks, Cornet and potentially Pope. Not sure there would be takers for many of the others for the fees we would be looking to get. Is anyone going to pay 30+ million for McNeil ? Doubtful. Taylor at 28 could possibly get a move but I wouldn't expect any of the rest to join another PL team. Rebuild required but not as big in the Championship as it would be in the PL

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:20 am

Far too gone to bring in backups and replacements.

We'll be paying £100k a week to hang on to the shite thats left.

We're done.

Pot the manager and blank canvas time!

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:31 am

Sunday's result will tell us a lot.

Defeat and it's incredibly difficult for us to survive.

On the flip side a win and it'll put Leeds in grave danger of dropping.

No doubt it'll most likely be a crappy draw with both sides not wanting to lose.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:35 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:58 pm

So it looks like this is goodbye Papabendi. We'll be sad to see you go, but hope to see you back posting again if/ when we come back up. Farewell, mate. X
What kinda crap is this?

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:38 am

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:35 am
What kinda crap is this?
Okay I'll spell it out for you. I'm saying that Papabendi is a fair weather supporter who won't be seen for dust when we've rolled our sleeves up and got down and dirty in the smelly old Championship. X

I'm only winding him up though. Don't worry about it. X
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:54 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:06 am
given players ages, positions and contract lengths we are realistically going to lose Tarks, Cornet and potentially Pope. Not sure there would be takers for many of the others for the fees we would be looking to get. Is anyone going to pay 30+ million for McNeil ? Doubtful. Taylor at 28 could possibly get a move but I wouldn't expect any of the rest to join another PL team. Rebuild required but not as big in the Championship as it would be in the PL
Sidney was convinced Mcneil was a £50m player, I don't see it personally and I'll stick with my initial estimate of £20m-25m. I know many on here think Tarkowski is some world class harshly treated defender, the reality is he's bang average most weeks.

6 months of the season left, fighting for our lives and we've got 10+ players out of contract (who can all sign pre contracts with foreign clubs starting Sunday). This is the squad Dyche has built, I'd release all 10 too but what an ugly ugly mess.

I think it's time to start completely fresh, new ideas, new vision, new players and that starts with a new manager.

A club with little money has to operate well in the loan market, we don't.
A club with little money has to have contacts abroad to avoid the premium Championship market, we don't have that.

We have been in the PL 8x longer than Brentford, player for player, their squad is considerably better and they play a modern formation/system. Brentford have a Germany u21 international.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:56 am

Sigh.

Valuations of players are based on age, nationality and contract length.

I've explained it several times, if you can't grasp that even now then there isn't much else I can say

For someone who occasionally makes some really good points during discussions on here, you're also capable of being completely blind to other stuff.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:02 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:56 am
Sigh.

Valuations of players are based on age, nationality and contract length.

I've explained it several times, if you can't grasp that even now then there isn't much else I can say

For someone who occasionally makes some really good points during discussions on here, you're also capable of being completely blind to other stuff.
Also more importantly based on current ability and potential ability, I like Mcneil alot, I'll always make excuses for his poor performances and I refuse to slag him off on here. He's not a £50M player though imo.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:10 am

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:02 am
Also more importantly based on current ability and potential ability, I like Mcneil alot, I'll always make excuses for his poor performances and I refuse to slag him off on here. He's not a £50M player though imo.
It doesn't matter what you think he's worth, it's whatever someone is willing to pay.
People on here are notorious for undervaluing players, I've never understood it.

I don't happen to think that lad Buendia is worth the £38 million Villa coughed up for him, but Norwich held out for a good price because he had 4yrs left on his deal and Villa have a lot of money sloshing about.
You want McNeil to go for far less though just because you don't think he's worth much.
He's got 2.5yrs left on his contract, plus I think we have an option of s further 12 mths, so 3.5yrs
English, 22yrs old, attacking winger who can play on either flank or through the middle and one of the few to regularly to have TAA at Liverpool on toast.
I think he's also trained with the senior England squad.

Yet you value him at less than £30 million......aye alright then.
This user liked this post: Norman

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:24 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:10 am
It doesn't matter what you think he's worth, it's whatever someone is willing to pay.
People on here are notorious for undervaluing players, I've never understood it.

I don't happen to think that lad Buendia is worth the £38 million Villa coughed up for him, but Norwich held out for a good price because he had 4yrs left on his deal and Villa have a lot of money sloshing about.
You want McNeil to go for far less though just because you don't think he's worth much.
He's got 2.5yrs left on his contract, plus I think we have an option of s further 12 mths, so 3.5yrs
English, 22yrs old, attacking winger who can play on either flank or through the middle and one of the few to regularly to have TAA at Liverpool on toast.
I think he's also trained with the senior England squad.

Yet you value him at less than £30 million......aye alright then.
I think Emile Smith Rowe is a better player with probably less PL appearances than Mcneil. I don't want Mcneil to go anywhere either

Gazclaret83
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Gazclaret83 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:30 am

Papabendi wrote:
100% agree x

Grimsdale
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by Grimsdale » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:56 am

Papabendi wrote:
We still have 22 games to play, I reckon another 24-25 points should be enough, maybe even less, so just over a point a game on average.
More than doable.
This user liked this post: tiger76

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:34 am

Grimsdale wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:56 am
We still have 22 games to play, I reckon another 24-25 points should be enough, maybe even less, so just over a point a game on average.
More than doable.
So how come we haven't done it in the first 16 games - or even for the whole of 2021
You expect us to get double the current average tally despite many on here saying we are playing the best football for a long time
We will most likely be down without Jan signings - this current squad, and manager, look tired and jaded
Certainly not looking capable of a 100% improvement on points from where we are now

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:04 am

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:54 am
Sidney was convinced Mcneil was a £50m player, I don't see it personally and I'll stick with my initial estimate of £20m-25m. I know many on here think Tarkowski is some world class harshly treated defender, the reality is he's bang average most weeks.

6 months of the season left, fighting for our lives and we've got 10+ players out of contract (who can all sign pre contracts with foreign clubs starting Sunday). This is the squad Dyche has built, I'd release all 10 too but what an ugly ugly mess.

I think it's time to start completely fresh, new ideas, new vision, new players and that starts with a new manager.

A club with little money has to operate well in the loan market, we don't.
A club with little money has to have contacts abroad to avoid the premium Championship market, we don't have that.

We have been in the PL 8x longer than Brentford, player for player, their squad is considerably better and they play a modern formation/system. Brentford have a Germany u21 international.
You’d release all 10? Says it all really

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:09 am

You might want to disagree with the OP, but the kind of turnaround we’re facing to survive is going to have to be something spectacular.

Of course we’re only 2 points off safety, but set in the context of the last 12 months, our up coming run of fixtures and the mounting evidence that this squad simply isn’t good enough, it’s looking a big ask. That’s before you factor in the possibility that Newcastle are about to significantly improve their first XI.
These 2 users liked this post: RVclaret Boss Hogg

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:31 am

We’re going down in my mind, no two ways about it.

The positive that might come out of it is that we can rebuild the team, certainly the midfield, with young, hungry dynamic players, because it’s an absolute chore watching Cork, Westwood and Gudmundsson plod through games in this league.
This user liked this post: Stayingup

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:43 am

Burnley1989 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:04 am
You’d release all 10? Says it all really
I mean which of the 10 are you keeping? Mee maybe?

Rodriguez, Vydra, Barnes, Bardsley, Pieters, Stephens, Cork, Lennon.

I don't think any of them are good enough, young enough, cheap enough. Quite frankly I don't think any of them are deserving of a new deal either, I'd rather we looked to the future than hand out short term contracts to players we know are past it.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:56 am

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:43 am

Rodriguez, Vydra, Barnes, Bardsley, Pieters, Stephens, Cork, Lennon.
Not a single player there I don’t think would be one of the best in their position in the Championship, where you get an extra 2-3 seconds to do everything.

Whether we need all of them if we retain prem status is a different question.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:09 am

agreenwood wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:09 am
You might want to disagree with the OP, but the kind of turnaround we’re facing to survive is going to have to be something spectacular.

Of course we’re only 2 points off safety, but set in the context of the last 12 months, our up coming run of fixtures and the mounting evidence that this squad simply isn’t good enough, it’s looking a big ask. That’s before you factor in the possibility that Newcastle are about to significantly improve their first XI.
Agree with this. Missing Cornet like last night and Newcastle means we have zero cutting edge or extra quality needed. He’s missing for 4 fixtures too in January. It’s a tough window for the owners too, do they gamble and try make another ‘Cornet like’ signing in the £10-15m bracket, putting us in a bit of risk should we go down, or do they play it safe and just try and use the loan market? That’s without mentioning the long list of players out of contract in the summer.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:10 am

NewClaret wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:56 am
Not a single player there I don’t think would be one of the best in their position in the Championship, where you get an extra 2-3 seconds to do everything.

Vydra aside I think that list would all struggle in the Chanpipnship tbh.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:11 am

I thought we were down after the double header of Wolves and Newcastle. Whichever way I did a realistic points prediction (and that's all it ever is) for our remaining games this season, I saw that as a pair of games we needed four points from. We got one and lost the crucial six pointer against Newcastle.

We remain only one win from safety (for now), but show no signs of winning a game sadly. If Watford beat Spurs and we don't beat Leeds (which is an entirely plausible scenario, let's be honest) then we would be cut too far adrift and I think at that point there would be a more widespread acceptance of our fate. It's not that it's 'impossible' to get out of our situation, it's that we are showing no signs to imply that we have it within us to turn this around. The form is terminal, and one win this season is indefensible. Our key players are not showing the form we need of them such as Wood and Westwood, and our only creativity in Cornet has barely been available and is shortly going away for a month to Africa. Our fate could (and probably will be with our upcoming fixtures) sealed by the point he returns. The postponed games killed us right when we needed them, as I really feel we could have beaten Watford and Everton with their injuries (INJURIES, not Covid) - that could have acted as a springboard and got us some points on the board and out of the relegation zone before the upcoming slate of horrific games (which we are likely to lose the lot of).

We are then left with a January window where we will need to be very careful what we do. I am nervous over us spending any more money considering what almost seems a foregone conclusion. Indeed, there is even going to have to be a bit of perspective shown when it comes to flogging Tarky if we are 8-10 points adrift from 17th coming towards the end of January - including to Newcastle. We need to start at that point to show some perspective and begin to think of preparing our finances for relegation.

This is incredibly negative for a New Years Eve post, so I apologise for that! I generally try to be realistic, this isn't 'The Sky is Falling', just what I see when I look at the games we have left I am afraid.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:16 am

Our heroes will work their socks off to keep our club in the league. It is our job to keep the faith (as those in Old Trafford did, last night).

We can do this with just a little luck.

Come on Burnley Come on Burnley Come on Burnley

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:16 am

agreenwood wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:09 am

It doesn't have to be spectacular, we just have to do better than Leeds or Watford or Newcastle or any other side that loses form spectacularly, as one always tends to do towards the end of the season.
We have a good chance of stopping up so "it's not obvious we are dropping" at all.

If we can't match or outdo at least one of those teams mentioned, we'll deserve to go down.
Last edited by evensteadiereddie on Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:17 am

NewClaret wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:56 am

I will get pelters of the usual lot, with our current squad we would struggle to make the top 6 in the championship.

Them players you have mentioned are knowhere near the best in there position in the championship.

If we are relegated which is looking like a real possibility, we have one of the biggest re build jobs I have ever seen a club have to do.

As a minimum we are currently losing 11 players to out of contract. We then have at least 3 players that will not drop, Pope, Cornet and McNeil will all leave.

We could be going into the summer window with 11 senior players and a mountain of debt.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:17 am

There is some right Fannie's among our support, 😂

Leyland Claret
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Leyland Claret » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:17 am

86B38ABE-022F-4BE4-9F31-B1ACC8514556.png
86B38ABE-022F-4BE4-9F31-B1ACC8514556.png (222.3 KiB) Viewed 4526 times
This table is pretty damning of our 2021 campaign. Saying that I think we are still capable of getting out of this situation. I think Norwich and Newcastle are gone so we are fighting to stay out of 1 relegation place.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:25 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:17 am
I will get pelters of the usual lot, with our current squad we would struggle to make the top 6 in the championship.

Them players you have mentioned are knowhere near the best in there position in the championship.

If we are relegated which is looking like a real possibility, we have one of the biggest re build jobs I have ever seen a club have to do.

As a minimum we are currently losing 11 players to out of contract. We then have at least 3 players that will not drop, Pope, Cornet and McNeil will all leave.

We could be going into the summer window with 11 senior players and a mountain of debt.
With so many out of contract (huge chop to the wage bill) and likely 50-60m in sales from McNeil, Pope and Cornet, I’m not overly worried about the debt/finances. As long as we are savvy in the market, we’d also have to utilise loans again (think Oliver Skipp at Norwich) and there’s always bargains around somewhere (Ryan Christie to Bournemouth for 1.5m).

Targeting young hungry players like Neil at Sunderland for the rumoured 3m fee is what I’d hope we’d try to do as well as pick up a good loan or two (Gilmour from Chelsea for example).

I’d hope we’d try to retain Vydra for the Championship as he’s proven to do very well in that league, as has Wood.

Hennessey, Roberts, Collins, Mee, Taylor, Brownhill, Westwood, Vydra and Wood are all top Championship players but you are right that leaves a big rebuild job to fill out the rest of the team/squad.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:25 am

Unfortunately we have a squad with most of them out of contract and won't be with the Burnley next season so some of these aren't bothered about relegation, I'm not getting into arguments about who's not bothered ect it clearly shows for itself.

Not playing Vydra when it clearly screams out we need him, this team at the moment doesn't score goals, Vydra with more games played the confidence comes back and so do the goals last season showed that even Wood looked the best he's ever played, its criminal of Dyche to do this and that leads to losing a player age wise in his prime, we paid 12+ million and he's going to walk away for free because he feels unwanted, the players Dyche signed and have walked out for nothing must be a minimum of 40/45 million

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:28 am

Steve1956 wrote:
There is some right Fannie's among our support, 😂
I know :lol: :lol:

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:28 am

RVclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:25 am
With so many out of contract (huge chop to the wage bill) and likely 50-60m in sales from McNeil, Pope and Cornet, I’m not overly worried about the debt/finances. As long as we are savvy in the market, we’d also have to utilise loans again (think Oliver Skipp at Norwich) and there’s always bargains around somewhere (Ryan Christie to Bournemouth for 1.5m).

Targeting young hungry players like Neil at Sunderland for the rumoured 3m fee is what I’d hope we’d try to do as well as pick up a good loan or two (Gilmour from Chelsea for example).

I’d hope we’d try to retain Vydra for the Championship as he’s proven to do very well in that league, as has Wood.

Hennessey, Roberts, Collins, Mee, Taylor, Brownhill, Westwood, Vydra and Wood are all top Championship players but you are right that leaves a big rebuild job to fill out the rest of the team/squad.
I think we need to see the extent of debt first. I imagine it’s probably considerably higher than the 60m quoted.

Them players you mentioned are, but remember Mee and Vydra are out of of contract. So that list is actually only

Hennessey, Roberts, Collins, Taylor, Brownhill, Westwood, Wood. It’s a massive rebuild. Where would probs need to spend 30-40m just on building a squad of 10-15 signings

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:30 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

I disagree. The Championship is dire. If Brereton-Diaz can score 20 goals in half a season in that league, we would tear it up.
Last edited by NewClaret on Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:31 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:28 am
I think we need to see the extent of debt first. I imagine it’s probably considerably higher than the 60m quoted.

Them players you mentioned are, but remember Mee and Vydra are out of of contract. So that list is actually only

Hennessey, Roberts, Collins, Taylor, Brownhill, Westwood, Wood. It’s a massive rebuild. Where would probs need to spend 30-40m just on building a squad of 10-15 signings
I think if Dyche is still with us it’s likely he’ll try and retain the likes of Jay Rod and Pieters - who else is going to want them, they won’t get another Prem move that’s for sure. Fair point re. Mee and Vydra, in fact it’s hard to see Vydra staying the way he’s been treated during his time here, id imagine he’ll walk.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:32 am

NewClaret wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:28 am
I know :lol: :lol:
And a lot of them are experts on how to run a football club. :roll:

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:33 am

Steve1956 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:32 am
And a lot of them are experts on how to run a football club. :roll:
Rule number 1 don’t buy one if you don’t have the money to.
Last edited by Newcastleclaret93 on Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:34 am

RVclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:31 am
I think if Dyche is still with us it’s likely he’ll try and retain the likes of Jay Rod and Pieters - who else is going to want them, they won’t get another Prem move that’s for sure. Fair point re. Mee and Vydra, in fact it’s hard to see Vydra staying the way he’s been treated during his time here, id imagine he’ll walk.
True I could see Jay and Pieter staying.

I think Vydras agent made it clear last year Vydra will be leaving at the earliest opportunity.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:39 am

jedi_master wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:11 am
I thought we were down after the double header of Wolves and Newcastle. Whichever way I did a realistic points prediction (and that's all it ever is) for our remaining games this season, I saw that as a pair of games we needed four points from. We got one and lost the crucial six pointer against Newcastle.

We remain only one win from safety (for now), but show no signs of winning a game sadly. If Watford beat Spurs and we don't beat Leeds (which is an entirely plausible scenario, let's be honest) then we would be cut too far adrift and I think at that point there would be a more widespread acceptance of our fate. It's not that it's 'impossible' to get out of our situation, it's that we are showing no signs to imply that we have it within us to turn this around. The form is terminal, and one win this season is indefensible. Our key players are not showing the form we need of them such as Wood and Westwood, and our only creativity in Cornet has barely been available and is shortly going away for a month to Africa. Our fate could (and probably will be with our upcoming fixtures) sealed by the point he returns. The postponed games killed us right when we needed them, as I really feel we could have beaten Watford and Everton with their injuries (INJURIES, not Covid) - that could have acted as a springboard and got us some points on the board and out of the relegation zone before the upcoming slate of horrific games (which we are likely to lose the lot of).

We are then left with a January window where we will need to be very careful what we do. I am nervous over us spending any more money considering what almost seems a foregone conclusion. Indeed, there is even going to have to be a bit of perspective shown when it comes to flogging Tarky if we are 8-10 points adrift from 17th coming towards the end of January - including to Newcastle. We need to start at that point to show some perspective and begin to think of preparing our finances for relegation.

This is incredibly negative for a New Years Eve post, so I apologise for that! I generally try to be realistic, this isn't 'The Sky is Falling', just what I see when I look at the games we have left I am afraid.
But you aren't being realistic. You're absolutely being negative.

OK, it's plausible that we lose to Leeds while Watford beat Spurs, which would leave us 5 points behind them with a game in hand and still to play them twice. I wouldn't see that as an impossible position to be in, unless you work on the basis that neither our form nor our luck can possibly improve.

But what about another plausible scenario - we beat Leeds and Watford lose to Spurs? After all, we're in better form than Watford and Spurs are in better form than Leeds. That would put us a point ahead of Watford. Is than still a "guaranteed relegation" position? Only three teams can go down, remember.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:45 am

If we could take half our chances I would be confident of staying up. Last night Man Utd would have taken 4 of the chances we made. Wood, JBG, Rodriguez, Vydra have all had glorious chances this season, which if taken would have seen us 4 or 5 positions higher up the table. Could we benefit from an attacking coach ??

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:49 am

dsr wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:39 am
But you aren't being realistic. You're absolutely being negative.

OK, it's plausible that we lose to Leeds while Watford beat Spurs, which would leave us 5 points behind them with a game in hand and still to play them twice. I wouldn't see that as an impossible position to be in, unless you work on the basis that neither our form nor our luck can possibly improve.

But what about another plausible scenario - we beat Leeds and Watford lose to Spurs? After all, we're in better form than Watford and Spurs are in better form than Leeds. That would put us a point ahead of Watford. Is than still a "guaranteed relegation" position? Only three teams can go down, remember.
I am being negative, fully accept that as I say. I feel it’s realistic based on our form (not performances per se, as we haven’t played badly at all recently bar Newcastle) to be apprehensive over thinking we are going to turn this around.

It is possible Watford lose to Spurs and we win at Leeds, and that paints an entirely different picture. I’d like to believe that we can go to Elland Road and win (I really feel it’s a must win due to the games following it) but I’m not hopeful. I wish I was.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:01 am

In previous sessons in the Premier league we have been able to pull off some really good unexpected results. This season, so far anyway, it looks unlikely we will repeat that.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:07 am

Stayingup wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:01 am
In previous sessons in the Premier league we have been able to pull off some really good unexpected results. This season, so far anyway, it looks unlikely we will repeat that.
If it looked likely they wouldn't be unexpected.
This user liked this post: duncandisorderly

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:18 am

Tall Paul wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:07 am
:lol:

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:49 am

Tall Paul wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:07 am
As you know what I mean is I think we will not be dishing out bloody noses to the top teams. That is unlikely.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:55 am

Stayingup wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:49 am
As you know what I mean is I think we will not be dishing out bloody noses to the top teams. That is unlikely.
Chelsea away?