Which manager worth their salt would even take our job ??

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

Which manager worth their salt would even take our job ??

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:52 pm

This is another "Dean Smith hiding to nothing Nowich case"
The squad lacks legs, youth, quality and still a ? over the longevity of the new owners - not exactly a thrilling prospect. Coupled with a 2nd season on the run the equivalent of half a team who's contracts have expired.

Not the sign of a club or team on the up and up.

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 278 times
Has Liked: 3308 times

Re: Which manager worth their salt would even take our job ??

Post by cockneyclaret » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:54 pm

Big fat Sam 🤣

rufus lumley
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by rufus lumley » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:56 pm

Fat Sam would take any job in the Premier League.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:58 pm

s6t9a2f3f wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:52 pm
This is another "Dean Smith hiding to nothing Nowich case"
The squad lacks legs, youth, quality and still a ? over the longevity of the new owners - not exactly a thrilling prospect. Coupled with a 2nd season on the run the equivalent of half a team who's contracts have expired.

Not the sign of a club or team on the up and up.
You'd be surprised at those who'd be interested in the Burnley gig, however whoever does take the reins (assuming Dyche isn't here) has a seriously big job on their hands given the massive rebuild we'll need to carry out over the summer.

What really concerns me is our form spilling over into next season, as we've seen many relegated PL sides struggle to adapt to the Champ after a poor run of form.

We do have the basis of a decent Championship side, Brownhill, Collins, Roberts and Taylor are just 4 who would be fine at that level.

But it's the midfield and forwards where we'd need to perform a radical overhaul.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:11 pm

That guy at Cheltenham would give it a go

s6t9a2f3f

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:12 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:58 pm
You'd be surprised at those who'd be interested in the Burnley gig, however whoever does take the reins (assuming Dyche isn't here) has a seriously big job on their hands given the massive rebuild we'll need to carry out over the summer.

What really concerns me is our form spilling over into next season, as we've seen many relegated PL sides struggle to adapt to the Champ after a poor run of form.

We do have the basis of a decent Championship side, Brownhill, Collins, Roberts and Taylor are just 4 who would be fine at that level.

But it's the midfield and forwards where we'd need to perform a radical overhaul.
Absolutely mammoth task, who do we keep ? Who do we sell (wages wise), who have we no choice but to let go ? We have learnt last 2-3 seasons that even half decent championship players cost a fortune and any decent strikers ?? Wow mind blogging prices. Maybe time to strip back and start afresh, give a young manager some time, a Duff, a Barton, a Cook - some loyalties previously with the club or try a Farke who plays different style.

So easy to type it but reality a mountain to climb.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:20 pm

s6t9a2f3f wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:12 pm
Absolutely mammoth task, who do we keep ? Who do we sell (wages wise), who have we no choice but to let go ? We have learnt last 2-3 seasons that even half decent championship players cost a fortune and any decent strikers ?? Wow mind blogging prices. Maybe time to strip back and start afresh, give a young manager some time, a Duff, a Barton, a Cook - some loyalties previously with the club or try a Farke who plays different style.

So easy to type it but reality a mountain to climb.
Excellent points, and I've been a staunch defender of SD, however I fear if he remains in charge much longer the atmosphere is in danger of growing increasingly toxic. so like yourself I feel it's time for a reset, even more so with the amount of first-teamers OOC.

However it's fine saying give a young manager time, if results aren't going well after a few months, which with such an extreme upheaval is always possible, then we'll need to keep our patience and not hit the panic button.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:22 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:58 pm

Remind me how many goals Vydra scored in his last season in the champ?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:24 pm

There is no requirement at all to have a new manager that has any connection with the club. Dyche has proved it and I wouldn't want it - if Dyche goes we need fresh eyes and ideas not tainted by the "little old Burnley" they knew.

s6t9a2f3f

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:27 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:22 pm
That's part of the problem here looking back and not right now, you could have said the same about Wood in his last championship campaign - how long ago was this with Vid ? And more importantly now he's 2-3 years older how many has he scored since ?
What have you seen consistently off him to nail your colours to the mast to say he's our Ings for next season ??

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:29 pm

Tony Mowbray

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:32 pm

Dont thing a change in manager will get us playing better. I just wish SD was less stubborn and less loyal to people who are letting him down. People keep telling me that Woan is not a YES man, but I do find it odd if he backs his team selection and tactics each game

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:33 pm

In response to the OP, dunno, but for years you've whinged and moaned about Dyche and wanting him gone so how about for once you put some names forward for us debate.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Cubanforever

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:37 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:22 pm
He might be worth keeping if he's willing to stay on reduced terms, but it appears he's cheesed off and wants a move away, now whether that mindset could change under a new manager I don't know.

And I didn't state only 4, as there's probably others who'd thrive in the Championship, but it's safe to see we may well see our busiest summer for many years given the amount of in's and out's that will likely occur.

And that's before we even consider who if anyone might step up from the development ranks, if funds are tight, as in the event of relegation, and servicing the debt you'd imagine they will be, then perhaps it's a chance for our promising youngsters to finally emerge and stake a claim for a 1st team place.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:39 pm

Terry, Lampard, Hughton, Wilder

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:00 pm

s6t9a2f3f wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:27 pm
That's part of the problem here looking back and not right now, you could have said the same about Wood in his last championship campaign - how long ago was this with Vid ? And more importantly now he's 2-3 years older how many has he scored since ?
What have you seen consistently off him to nail your colours to the mast to say he's our Ings for next season ??
The standard of defending in the PL to the Champ are worlds apart. Do you suggest going buying the league 1 top scorer, because no Champ top scorer is coming to us. We will be back to paying mid table championship wages..

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:02 pm

ClaretAL wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:39 pm
Terry, Lampard, Hughton, Wilder
Terry has a new job lined up.

Lampard would be fantastic.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:02 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:33 pm
In response to the OP, dunno, but for years you've whinged and moaned about Dyche and wanting him gone so how about for once you put some names forward for us debate.
You say this on every thread and numerous people provide options.

It’s not like there arnt 100s of managers out there.
This user liked this post: BLH_Claret

s6t9a2f3f

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:04 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:33 pm
Except for 1st half - Brentford at home has anybody enjoyed our football / performances this season ??

Think we have to give SD until Xmas and let's find out whether it was the gulf in class/money/quality/ pace/power. If we play more like Brentford at home (1st half) in championship we know it was the vast gulf and that SD grossly, grossly over achieved and we have found our level.
If our next 2 transfer windows prove to be fairly successful / successful then we know Garlicks contribution last 2 years have significantly contributed to the downfall.
My post was more about a quality manager on the outside looking in thinking what a mess to wade through before they could start implementing their stamp / ideas.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:08 pm

As weird as it sounds after a performance like that, I think our squad would still be perfectly fine in the championship. It is a step down in quality these days with a lot of the clubs in there really struggling financially. With a wad of cash from McNeil/cornet sales (and anyone else who might be considered too good for the championship), we’d be fine. Wood/Vydra have been championship top scorers...

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:09 pm

One that can play football , and doesn't command 80k per week.
Chris Wilder for just a random name without even thinking

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:11 pm

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:08 pm
As weird as it sounds after a performance like that, I think our squad would still be perfectly fine in the championship. It is a step down in quality these days with a lot of the clubs in there really struggling financially. With a wad of cash from McNeil/cornet sales (and anyone else who might be considered too good for the championship), we’d be fine. Wood/Vydra have been championship top scorers...
I like the optimism but in reality our squad is no where near the quality to come back up.

s6t9a2f3f

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:12 pm

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:08 pm
I liked this post until I realised the only 2 people at the club that can prove the service to vid and Woods won't be there !!!!!!

And no I have not considered the inconsistent sick note and Lennon.

claretfern
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 1262 times

Post by claretfern » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:13 pm

There would be quite a long list of applicants should the Burnley FC post become available. Most Managers/Coaches think they're good enough to do the job. It's choosing the right one......

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:15 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:02 pm

But the question will always be why aren't there more clubs achieving the same longevity in the Prem that we've had to date?

There are plenty of clubs of a similar size to us - Huddersfield for one, and they came and went in the blink of an eye.

Not as easy as some believe, otherwise the Prem would be littered with stories of clubs greatly overachieving.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:18 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:15 pm
But the question will always be why aren't there more clubs achieving the same longevity in the Prem that we've had to date?

There are plenty of clubs of a similar size to us - Huddersfield for one, and they came and went in the blink of an eye.

Not as easy as some believe, otherwise the Prem would be littered with stories of clubs greatly overachieving.
Yes and we will soon be relegated in a worst position than when we came up?

There’s plenty of managers out there that could do a job

davetheclaret
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by davetheclaret » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:20 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:32 pm
Dont thing a change in manager will get us playing better. I just wish SD was less stubborn and less loyal to people who are letting him down. People keep telling me that Woan is not a YES man, but I do find it odd if he backs his team selection and tactics each game
Im with you on this and have said it before Woan was a good footballer, but he's not going to rock the boat.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:21 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:09 pm
One that can play football , and doesn't command 80k per week.
Chris Wilder for just a random name without even thinking
Wilder would be high on my list as well, however there's a chance he could be back in the Prem with Boro next season, so I doubt he'd be interested in dropping back to the Champ with Burnley.

Maybe it's just me, but I sense SD has run his course at Burnley, and in the modern game 9 years is an awfully long stint to manage one club, especially one competing in the top 2 divisions, so it might be best for both parties if we partied company with him now, and let a new gaffer get their feet under the table in readiness for next season.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:37 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:21 pm
Wilder would be high on my list as well, however there's a chance he could be back in the Prem with Boro next season, so I doubt he'd be interested in dropping back to the Champ with Burnley.

Maybe it's just me, but I sense SD has run his course at Burnley, and in the modern game 9 years is an awfully long stint to manage one club, especially one competing in the top 2 divisions, so it might be best for both parties if we partied company with him now, and let a new gaffer get their feet under the table in readiness for next season.
He got a very poor ( by PL standards ) team able to pass a football 20 yards to the same coloured shirt..

That's a basic task I'm willing to watch

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:41 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:21 pm

If Dyche went this week, I think Wilder would jump at the chance. I think he’s a point to prove after Sheffield
United last season.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:52 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:02 pm

I find it tiresome when people like the OP scream into the void about wanting Dyche gone but are seemingly incapable of presenting a viable alternative.
If you're not going to present a reasoned alternative etc then screaming into the void is daft
Others have done that tonight and I've responded.

If you're going to respond with the tired old response of "we're fans and it isn't our job to name an alternative" then why is it the fans right to scream for a manager to get fired?

As I've said before, my 17yr old son is an NFL fan and has a list of coaches who he thinks could do a job when it comes to replacing the head coach at the 49ers, he goes into great detail yet people who've followed football for much longer are seemingly incapable of doing the same for Burnley and replacing Dyche.

I enjoy a good discussion, I tire of the screaming with no thought process to follow it

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:54 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:18 pm
Yes and we will soon be relegated in a worst position than when we came up?

There’s plenty of managers out there that could do a job
Name some them, let's have a proper discussion instead of vague gesturing and mumbling that there's always someone else.

Put your neck out and let's see your ideas.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:58 pm

s6t9a2f3f wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:04 pm
Except for 1st half - Brentford at home has anybody enjoyed our football / performances this season ??

Think we have to give SD until Xmas and let's find out whether it was the gulf in class/money/quality/ pace/power. If we play more like Brentford at home (1st half) in championship we know it was the vast gulf and that SD grossly, grossly over achieved and we have found our level.
If our next 2 transfer windows prove to be fairly successful / successful then we know Garlicks contribution last 2 years have significantly contributed to the downfall.
My post was more about a quality manager on the outside looking in thinking what a mess to wade through before they could start implementing their stamp / ideas.

You whinge every single year when we hit a rough patch, it's as regular as Xmas :lol:
Then you disappear until we hit another rough patch and bang you're back.

You don't present alternatives, you never have done, that's why I pulled you up.
Of course people don't enjoy this stuff right now, but let's hear who you think should replace him.

I don't make demands for Dyche to go because I don't keep a close eye on "all the other managers out there who could easily replace him"

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:58 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:15 pm

That's a good question, and I hope you will be happy with this answer:

Fantastic stewardship.

Barry Kilby, JB and MG.
We got the right man at the right time (SD) and progressed, unfortunately we have been caught up with.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:59 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:54 pm
Name some them, let's have a proper discussion instead of vague gesturing and mumbling that there's always someone else.

Put your neck out and let's see your ideas.
I name managers all of the time.

Rooney,
Lampard,
Wilder,
Ismael,
Knutson,
Amorim,
De Zerbi.

There’s a few of the top of my head.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3809 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:00 pm

I think we're a very attractive proposition for most managers, we pay incredible wages and if a new manager came in, he'd have a good base and plenty of holes to fill.

I'm not Dyche out, I would quite like an end of season reset and rebuild with a new manager though.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:05 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:59 pm
I name managers all of the time.

Rooney,
Lampard,
Wilder,
Ismael,
Knutson,
Amorim,
De Zerbi.

There’s a few of the top of my head.
4 have been discussed already, but tell me more about Ismael, Amorim and De Zerbi and why you think they'd be a good fit.
I'm genuinely interested in hearing why you'd want them.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:08 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:05 pm
4 have been discussed already, but tell me more about Ismael, Amorim and De Zerbi and why you think they'd be a good fit.
I'm genuinely interested in hearing why you'd want them.
All comes down to playing style and tactics.

Ismael - was impressed with him at Barnsley and I think he’s shown that he can do it at two clubs now with West Brom. Would be perfect for the championship.

Amorim and De Zerbi, have done well with young players, I think if we are to move forward we will focus on buying a number of young players and blooding them in.

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:13 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:52 pm
I find it tiresome when people like the OP scream into the void about wanting Dyche gone but are seemingly incapable of presenting a viable alternative.
If you're not going to present a reasoned alternative etc then screaming into the void is daft

If you're going to respond with the tired old response of "we're fans and it isn't our job to name an alternative" then why is it the fans right to scream for a manager to get fired?

As I've said before, my 17yr old son is an NFL fan and has a list of coaches who he thinks could do a job when it comes to replacing the head coach at the 49ers, he goes into great detail yet people who've followed football for much longer are seemingly incapable of doing the same for Burnley and replacing Dyche.

I enjoy a good discussion, I tire of the screaming with no thought process to follow it
I’ve no idea of the NFL or it’s coaches or the structure of american football. But I do know our football structure, it’s players, managers and clubs are very fragile in terms of what happened 2 years ago now means nothing. Many managers who achieved the same if not more than Dyche disappear with a blink of an eye. People mention Wilder. He’s achieved nothing more than Aidy Bothroyd. Curbishley achieved on par with Dyche disappeared. Posters could throw many names into the hat from successes in the lower leagues of getting teams up and playing good stuff. But the reality is, must managers only ever have a decent 4/5 years tops during their career.

Some of us are frustrated. Something needs to change and fast, that much is very clear.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:50 pm

Is Nuno still out of work ?

Stayingup
Been Liked: 923 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:42 pm

Dyched wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:29 pm
Tony Mowbray

Klopp might be preferable.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:46 pm

If Dyche does go, I'd have lampard in a heartbeat. Intelligent guy, wants to play football and seems a really genuine fella

s6t9a2f3f

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:03 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:52 pm

Again for 2nd time - it was NOT a SD out post. I think as said in my other reply he needs to be given to xmas. You keep harping on for other names to be manager - finally that is my point.
Any agent / player worth it's salt should know we have major issues and major rebuilding either division we land up in next season.
The "list" might form itself - rather than us handpicking a highly credibly experienced CV candidate.
New owners / aging squad / losing one of our best players shortly / several players out of contract shortly / owners who have a stable relegation plan ? / a club finanicial stable is a big ? Depending which post/s you believe how these new owners are financing their payments / a club that would have splashed ? Millions on paying out SD / probably lose if relegated mcneill/pope/tarks/cornet and possibly mee / possible taylor ? Dunno but the sharks will be circling for sure.
So all in all we might have to get down, e or f off the "list" as maybe choices a, b, c and d don't fancy it.
So the SD outers might be surprised at just what the replacement list might look like - that's a genuine list of people that WILL say yes not the wish list.