When did it start to go wrong

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretyke
Been Liked: 5 times

When did it start to go wrong

Post by claretyke » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:04 pm

I think it was Vlla at home when they beat us 2-1 at home.
Grealish ran the game 2-0 down at half time and i think they
had a goal disallowed as well.
The team were booed off at half time and the players faces were a picture,
like we were'nt supposed to react like that,but they were crap.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Re: When did it start to go wrong

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:13 pm

When we were promoted with an owner who's net worth equaled just 3x the average transfer cost.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11035 times
Has Liked: 5648 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:17 pm

when the majority of the rest of the clubs have backers with colossal amounts of cash it's not a case of it going wrong but more a case of we don't really stand much of a chance. There's a reason most teams that come up and struggle in either their first or second season.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:20 pm

As alluded to earlier on another thread,when we didn't invest correctly after getting into Europe,also the Drinkwater fiasco seemed to cause a rift.
These 4 users liked this post: Superjohnnyfrancis tiger76 winsomeyen ClaretMov

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2334 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:23 pm

When we bottled the chance to have a good summer 2018 window with European football to offer and posters on here said we were overreacting.
These 5 users liked this post: tiger76 tarkys_ears DCWat ClaretMov Shaggy

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:24 pm

We were never going to stay up forever for the reasons above, but it all went south as soon as Garlick prioritised the sale of the club and a huge return on the investments of the shareholders over giving the manager the funds to keep the squad progressing. We've now got an ageing squad with little quality at this level.

When we do go down, more than likely in May this year, make no mistake, it will have been avoidable. Dyche has shown that he knows exactly how to keep the team up and with recruitment that was any better than dire, we'd have another couple of years at least.
This user liked this post: dsr

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:24 pm

Losing to Brighton in the first game of the season after leading for a long period. I don’t think we’ve recovered and never got any momentum going.
These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret AfloatinClaret

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:26 pm

Hard not to look back to the summer after we finished 7th.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:30 pm

When the previous owners decided to save and sell.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6744 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:32 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:26 pm
Hard not to look back to the summer after we finished 7th.
Aberdeen away:
Pope's injury, Heaton not match-fit, and Lindegaard gets an unexpected chance to start, only to get some kind of injury.
This was really bad luck resulting in us buying Hart, whose goalkeeping was not a fit for Burnley's style,

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 1517 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:34 pm

When we signed Hart and then dyche decided to **** away every penny he'd been given thereafter

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:39 pm

claretyke wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:04 pm
I think it was Vlla at home when they beat us 2-1 at home.
Grealish ran the game 2-0 down at half time and i think they
had a goal disallowed as well.
The team were booed off at half time and the players faces were a picture,
like we were'nt supposed to react like that,but they were crap.
And we won a further 30 points from the remaining 17 games that season so I can't see how anything started to wrong after that game, and my memory is that after a poor first half we were by far the better team in the second half.
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:45 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:32 pm
Aberdeen away:
Pope's injury, Heaton not match-fit, and Lindegaard gets an unexpected chance to start, only to get some kind of injury.
This was really bad luck resulting in us buying Hart, whose goalkeeping was not a fit for Burnley's style,
Was just something about that summer, our faliure to strengthen and the limp way we went out of Europe. Almost as if the whole club accepted we'd reached the top of the mountain and we were happy to slide back down again.
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat ClaretMov

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:47 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:45 pm
Was just something about that summer, our faliure to strengthen and the limp way we went out of Europe. Almost as if the whole club accepted we'd reached the top of the mountain and we were happy to slide back down again.
Yes, something like that.
We did spend, but it seems that wasn't enough.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:51 pm

To be in charge for 9 years you need to rebuild 3 or 4 sides completely.
Dyche clings on to players too long with too many walking away for free. A club our size, with no sugar daddy, needs to sell players after 2 seasons for a profit.

Generate funds and keep the team fresh.
These 4 users liked this post: DCWat claretgimmer ClaretMov Top Claret

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1644 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:54 pm

Certainly that gap between getting into Europe and signing Cornet saw us only sign players who at best were fringe “in and outs”. Vydra and Brownhill prime examples. Not a single guaranteed starter.

So a combination of Garlick building up the bank balance and Dyche sacking off the European campaign by playing reserves (which I said at the time would make both players and fans think “what is the point”). At that point Dyche needed new hungry players but 2019 and 2020 summers went by without signing any of those guaranteed starters.

That for me is where it went wrong so while we now have hunger to a degree, it doesn’t match that from the likes of Leeds who are desperate to stay up. Dyche has to take his share of the blame as well as the old board.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1697 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:55 pm

Getting legless on the coach back from us beating Fulham 2-0 last season, which secured our safety. I think the players and manager felt they were invincible that trip and one player, who thankfully is not featuring at present, is still paying the penalty
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

California Colner
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by California Colner » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:00 pm

Started when Burnley FC decided they could stay in the prem without spending money on quality playing staff
We only managed to stay in the prem because the standard had dropped but now all teams have upped there quality apart from us. We are relying on the same old players to perform another miracle this year and if we don’t invest in new quality players than it’s championship football that Burnley will be playing
I hope we get out of this mess but personally I feel it’s to late
Last edited by California Colner on Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3605 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:01 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:17 pm
when the majority of the rest of the clubs have backers with colossal amounts of cash it's not a case of it going wrong but more a case of we don't really stand much of a chance. There's a reason most teams that come up and struggle in either their first or second season.
I don’t think that’s the case. Had we recruited sensibly, we’d probably be in a far healthier position than we are now.

Don’t get me wrong, if all clubs with bigger budgets got their ducks in a row, it’d be hard for little Burnley to compete. The thing is, there are usually a couple of basket cases on top of those that have just made the step up - more than enough for us to be able to compete.

Our problem is that we’ve neglected recruitment and refreshing the squad, for far too long. We can compete, we’ve shown it, but everyone has to be pulling together and we have to spend wisely.

We’ve lost our way over the last few years and we’ve gone stale. Relegation this time won’t be due to anything but our own mistakes.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:01 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:23 pm
When we bottled the chance to have a good summer 2018 window with European football to offer and posters on here said we were overreacting.

Spot on.

A perfect time to stretch the club and attract better players and the then owner decided it was a perfect time for him to get the wheels in motion for him to make some cash.
These 2 users liked this post: gandhisflipflop Rumpelstiltskin

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:05 pm

When we could not even retain the services of a journeyman EPL pro like Jeff Hendrick, a player already on our books.

milkcrate_mosh
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by milkcrate_mosh » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:12 pm

MACCA wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:01 pm
Spot on.

A perfect time to stretch the club and attract better players and the then owner decided it was a perfect time for him to get the wheels in motion for him to make some cash.
If I was trying to maximise my return for a club my plan probably wouldn't involve spending almost 30 million pounds on Gibson and Vydra and sticking around for another 3 years.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2974 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:14 pm

When someone started to plan to line their grubby little pockets.

I really don't understand how they can live with themselves. Bordering on criminal IMO.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:14 pm

The worst period was undoubtably since getting into Europe. Gibson and Vydra were not bad signings on the face of it, but Vydra was clearly not dyches first choice and Gibson just didn’t work out. We spent quite a lot of money on two who haven’t worked out, that’s fine, but then only signing stephens the next summer has left us with effectively 2 summers of nothing. Granted, brownhill came in the January who is a good addition, but it is obvious we’ve needed more for the last couple of years.

Some of the earlier windows in the premier league under garlick were fine, we brought in enough to stay up year on year with the likes of wood, cork, Hendrick and defour as solid signings. It was a bad summer, followed by a nothing summer which has done it for us.
In contrast, the most recent window with the new owners was very refreshing, and on the upside - with a few more of those, we’ll be as good as we’ve ever been in the premier league.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:14 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:51 pm
To be in charge for 9 years you need to rebuild 3 or 4 sides completely.
Dyche clings on to players too long with too many walking away for free. A club our size, with no sugar daddy, needs to sell players after 2 seasons for a profit.

Generate funds and keep the team fresh.
This is absolutely bob on the money.

Our complete lack of a foreign scouting system put this to bed though.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:15 pm

ashtonlongsider wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:24 pm
Losing to Brighton in the first game of the season after leading for a long period. I don’t think we’ve recovered and never got any momentum going.
It was there to be won, and Sean could and should have made the changes to hold on, because the comeback looked likely before it happened. A win could have changed the season round, we are definitely a confidence team, and we have never really recovered.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:22 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:14 pm
This is absolutely bob on the money.

Our complete lack of a foreign scouting system put this to bed though.
Absolutely-we have brought in players in their twilight years and 5-6 years later they are still with us-Cork and Westwood are good examples. Also why do we let Long keep getting a contract when he has been with us since Coyle and barely plays.Buy a young prospect and sell them after 2-3 years if they are not featuring. We are not a club in tune with commercial reality

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:22 pm

milkcrate_mosh wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:12 pm
If I was trying to maximise my return for a club my plan probably wouldn't involve spending almost 30 million pounds on Gibson and Vydra and sticking around for another 3 years.
No ones would...

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:38 pm

Also, in 2015 and on for some time we spent a large sum redeveloping our facilities at Gawthorpe.
What have we got?
Virtually no players coming through the system(apparently down to Eddie Howe)
This was going to make the club more attractive to better players... has it? BTW, I do agree that it needed doing.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:42 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:15 pm
It was there to be won, and Sean could and should have made the changes to hold on, because the comeback looked likely before it happened. A win could have changed the season round, we are definitely a confidence team, and we have never really recovered.
Then we make changes/adapt to try and make us better, but it hasn't worked

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:43 pm

The 'European Summer' felt like a change of ethos and out of sync with Sean's version of Burnley up to that point

Sadly for JH - not his fault - he became the personification of that and it has felt like we have lost our very individual identity ever since

Pommieclaret
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Pommieclaret » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:54 pm

I know we all talk about recruitment but we never seem to sign anyone that fits straight in the starting 11. They all have to Sean fit. Just let some of the players express themselves instead of going into some sort of. Regimented formation. You only have to look at Dwight, the guy has gone completely backwards and his body language is telling everyone that heisnot enjoying his football. Is this down to the coaching staff? Would love to beat bar field the week leading up to a game to see what tactics they aretoldto follow.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:56 pm

DCWat wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:01 pm
I don’t think that’s the case. Had we recruited sensibly, we’d probably be in a far healthier position than we are now.

Don’t get me wrong, if all clubs with bigger budgets got their ducks in a row, it’d be hard for little Burnley to compete. The thing is, there are usually a couple of basket cases on top of those that have just made the step up - more than enough for us to be able to compete.

Our problem is that we’ve neglected recruitment and refreshing the squad, for far too long. We can compete, we’ve shown it, but everyone has to be pulling together and we have to spend wisely.

We’ve lost our way over the last few years and we’ve gone stale. Relegation this time won’t be due to anything but our own mistakes.
I won't disagree with most of that but as most teams can outbid us on every player and pay more wages we are most definitely shopping in a very different market - especially now

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:28 pm

When most of our relegation rivals now have wealthy owners and can make better signings.
You can only keep going so long as the underdog.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:30 pm

The end of Defour, midfield not strong enough, both defensively and don't score enough

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3605 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:32 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:56 pm
I won't disagree with most of that but as most teams can outbid us on every player and pay more wages we are most definitely shopping in a very different market - especially now
No denying that we need to shop clever - they are out there though.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8707 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:25 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:24 pm
It all went south as soon as Garlick prioritised the sale of the club and a huge return on the investments of the shareholders over giving the manager the funds to keep the squad progressing. We've now got an ageing squad with little quality at this level.
Agreed. That man ruined BFC and it looks purely through self interest and personal profit, from observation.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:28 am

DCWat wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:32 pm
No denying that we need to shop clever - they are out there though.
case proven with Maxwell !!!! :shock:
This user liked this post: DCWat

Mattster
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by Mattster » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:36 am

warksclaret wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:22 pm
Absolutely-we have brought in players in their twilight years and 5-6 years later they are still with us-Cork and Westwood are good examples. Also why do we let Long keep getting a contract when he has been with us since Coyle and barely plays.Buy a young prospect and sell them after 2-3 years if they are not featuring. We are not a club in tune with commercial reality
Westwood was 25 when we signed him, Cork 27. That's not twilight years, that's prime.

The issue is we the previous owner's years of neglect meant we haven't lined up succession planning for players like those two, Barnes, Wood, JBG, Mee etc who were all early/mid 20s when signed.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:43 am

IanMcL wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:25 pm
Agreed. That man ruined BFC and it looks purely through self interest and personal profit, from observation.
This is such a lazy agenda.

If Pace doesn’t sign anybody this window will you say the same about him? Given on average he already spends less a transfer window than Garlick did in his tenure?

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 835 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:16 am

When we went to Palace and caught them out with our long quickly turned balls over the top into space. We’ve been trying it ever since like it’s some magic recipe and it’s worked once (Brentford).

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:33 am

Last season when we lost 2 games on the trot after scoring first (Southampton and Newcastle)

Shaggy
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Shaggy » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:07 am

It started to go wrong not long after the European campaign. The recruitment and transfer dealings of players being the primary reason. Sean Dyche clearly has a very specific filter of players he wants and he wants to know them which virtually rules out most the foreign players. We can’t compete buying overpriced championship players keeping them and letting them walk at the end of their contracts for nothing.

There was clearly a rift between Garlick and Dyche with regards to transfers with Garlick wanting to go down a more youthful route which Dyche didn’t agree with culminating in the fallout over the contract extensions.

Garlick obviously never gave Dyche exactly a large budget but it was enough to return better than we have. Our budget blows the likes of Celtic and Rangers out the water yet they can sign better players than us.. that can’t be relayed on Garlick like some are trying to do.

Also the signings we have made just don’t go into the first team which is pretty daft considering we are short in a lot of areas.

80% of the problem is the manager.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:36 am

It started to go wrong when the scouts and recruitment team at Burnley failed to bring in hardly any player's (especially when we could play a few games in Europe) that have been turn into better player's and sold for profit, this is the only way a club like ours can survive at the top table along with the sky money because we make next to nothing compared to those with match day revenue.

Our signings in the Dyche era whilst in the premier league have been

2014/15

Michael Kightly undisclosed
Matt Gilks Free
Matthew Taylor Free
Marvin Sordell undisclosed
Steven Reid Free
Lukas Jutkiewicz £1,500,000
Stephen Ward undisclosed
George Boyd £3,000,000
Michael Keane undisclosed
Fredrik Ulvestad undisclosed
Matthew Lowton £1,000,000

2016/17

Johann Berg Gudmundsson undisclosed
Nick Pope undisclosed
Jimmy Dunne undisclosed
Steven Defour £8,000,000
Jeff Hendrick £10,500,000
Joey Barton undisclosed
Ashley Westwood undisclosed
Robbie Brady £13,000,000

2017/18

Charlie Taylor £6,000,000
Jonathan Walters £3,000,000
Jack Cork £10,000,000
Phil Bardsley undisclosed
Adam Legzdins undisclosed
Chris Wood £15,000,000
Nahki Wells £5,000,000
Aaron Lennon undisclosed

2018/19

Joe Hart £3,500,000
Ben Gibson £15,000,000
Matej Vydra £11,000,000
Peter Crouch Part ex deal
Erik Pieters £1,000,000
Jay Rodriguez £10,000,000

2019/20

Bailey Peacock-Farrell £2,500,000
Josh Brownhill £9,000,000

2020/21

Will Norris undisclosed
Dale Stephens £1,000,000

2021/22

Wayne Hennessey Free
Aaron Lennon Free
Maxwell Cornet £12,850,000
Connor Roberts £2,500,000
Nathan Collins £12,000,000

Not many star's to pick out of this lot.

About £184 million spent on player's part funded by player sale's (only including big fee's) for keane, Gray and Heaton, this bringing in around 44 million.

Out of the average £144 million spent and I'm only counting £3+ million players we signed we could/have got back

George Boyd £3,000,000 - Nothing
Steven Defour £8,000,000 - Nothing
Jeff Hendrick £10,500,000 - Nothing
Robbie Brady £13,000,000 - Nothing
Charlie Taylor £6,000,000 - Worth more
Jonathan Walters £3,000,000 - Nothing
Jack Cork £10,000,000 - Nothing
Chris Wood £15,000,000 Worth £10 million on a good day
Nahki Wells £5,000,000 - Sold at same price
Joe Hart £3,500,000 - Nothing
Ben Gibson £15,000,000 - We lost money ????
Matej Vydra £11,000,000 - Nothing
Jay Rodriguez £10,000,000 - Nothing
Josh Brownhill £9,000,000 - Small profit
Maxwell Cornet £12,850,000 - hopefully 30/40+ million
Nathan Collins £12,000,000 - hopefully 25/30+ million

That is one hell of amount of money down the drain for a small club like us

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:42 am

When we had a chairman unwilling to continue giving contract extensions to over the hill players and dyche spat his dummy out - he has since got his own way and we are now reaping the benefits

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:44 am

reaping the benefits ????

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:46 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:36 am
It started to go wrong when the scouts and recruitment team at Burnley failed to bring in hardly any player's (especially when we could play a few games in Europe) that have been turn into better player's and sold for profit, this is the only way a club like ours can survive at the top table along with the sky money because we make next to nothing compared to those with match day revenue.

Our signings in the Dyche era whilst in the premier league have been

2014/15

Michael Kightly undisclosed
Matt Gilks Free
Matthew Taylor Free
Marvin Sordell undisclosed
Steven Reid Free
Lukas Jutkiewicz £1,500,000
Stephen Ward undisclosed
George Boyd £3,000,000
Michael Keane undisclosed
Fredrik Ulvestad undisclosed
Matthew Lowton £1,000,000

2016/17

Johann Berg Gudmundsson undisclosed
Nick Pope undisclosed
Jimmy Dunne undisclosed
Steven Defour £8,000,000
Jeff Hendrick £10,500,000
Joey Barton undisclosed
Ashley Westwood undisclosed
Robbie Brady £13,000,000

2017/18

Charlie Taylor £6,000,000
Jonathan Walters £3,000,000
Jack Cork £10,000,000
Phil Bardsley undisclosed
Adam Legzdins undisclosed
Chris Wood £15,000,000
Nahki Wells £5,000,000
Aaron Lennon undisclosed

2018/19

Joe Hart £3,500,000
Ben Gibson £15,000,000
Matej Vydra £11,000,000
Peter Crouch Part ex deal
Erik Pieters £1,000,000
Jay Rodriguez £10,000,000

2019/20

Bailey Peacock-Farrell £2,500,000
Josh Brownhill £9,000,000

2020/21

Will Norris undisclosed
Dale Stephens £1,000,000

2021/22

Wayne Hennessey Free
Aaron Lennon Free
Maxwell Cornet £12,850,000
Connor Roberts £2,500,000
Nathan Collins £12,000,000

Not many star's to pick out of this lot.

About £184 million spent on player's part funded by player sale's (only including big fee's) for keane, Gray and Heaton, this bringing in around 44 million.

Out of the average £144 million spent and I'm only counting £3+ million players we signed we could/have got back

George Boyd £3,000,000 - Nothing
Steven Defour £8,000,000 - Nothing
Jeff Hendrick £10,500,000 - Nothing
Robbie Brady £13,000,000 - Nothing
Charlie Taylor £6,000,000 - Worth more
Jonathan Walters £3,000,000 - Nothing
Jack Cork £10,000,000 - Nothing
Chris Wood £15,000,000 Worth £10 million on a good day
Nahki Wells £5,000,000 - Sold at same price
Joe Hart £3,500,000 - Nothing
Ben Gibson £15,000,000 - We lost money ????
Matej Vydra £11,000,000 - Nothing
Jay Rodriguez £10,000,000 - Nothing
Josh Brownhill £9,000,000 - Small profit
Maxwell Cornet £12,850,000 - hopefully 30/40+ million
Nathan Collins £12,000,000 - hopefully 25/30+ million

That is one hell of amount of money down the drain for a small club like us
The problem is we value players too high. Who is going to pay the 30-40 million your saying for Cornet? Same with Collins.

In reality our playing style is our biggest downfall, a players are just not desirable because they can’t play another style.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:46 pm

Hard to pinpoint one specific moment, but I sense the summer of 2020, when Dyche and Garlick had a public spat regarding retaining the older OOC players, and ever since then their relationship has never been the same, hence why Garlick needed to go, but Sean isn't innocent in that affair, and the whole mood of the club has been on a downer ever since.

ALK coming in might improve things in the longer term, but there's also serious doubts over exactly how much they are prepared to invest in BFC, or indeed whether they even have the necessary funds, this accompanied by our debt mountain, and the impending relegation doesn't bode well I'm afraid.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:56 pm

For me a significant period was when games restarted after COVID phase 1 , behind closed attendances. We won a number of those games and moved up to a final 10th position season end. Lots of people in the club and in our fans got a feeling of assurance that staying in the PL was a breeze, and we had the team to keep us up. Sadly many clubs strengthened in players at the end of that season and then we went through a very barren period of signing players, and offered players who should have been moved on new contracts as I am sure Garlick saw that a cheaper option

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:10 pm

First game of the season when we allowed Brighton to score two quick goals by running straight through the middle, having been one nil up in the second minute.