Chris Wood having medical at Newcastle

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Re: Serious Question RE: Newcastle ££££

Post by minnieclaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:31 am

“Unable to compete” not sure what the reasoning is for that. We are in a window so sell one buy one. We also have experienced pros doubled up for every position. As there is zero confidence in the current team it might even be to our benefit.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 820 times

Re: Chris Wood having medical at Newcastle

Post by ClaretAL » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:34 am

I can see quite a few quotes from this board in this article..

https://www.themag.co.uk/2022/01/burnle ... teresting/

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 899 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:46 am

tarkys_ears wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:11 am
The more and more I think about this... I cannot believe it. What an oustanding piece of business.

£25m. Let that sink in.

We've literally won the lottery.

As long as this money gets reinvested, it'll be the best thing thats happened to us for years.

I'm just praying it goes through before someone comes to their senses.
3 year deal. We’ve won the lottery and Wood has won the lottery as well.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:48 am

Some of the derogatory comments on here regarding Wood are truly laughable. On one hand we praise Sean Dyche to death and in Sean we trust. Yet on the other hand we are saying that his trusted main centre forward for the last four years is useless.
Give your heads a wobble, he did a decent job for us. Yes he has underperformed this season. However, with the possible exception of Charlie Taylor so have the rest of our squad.
And the comments that Wood isn’t a Premier League striker? Well he plays in the Premier League so he must be. Or do they mean he isn’t Premier League standard? Well that’s a whole different debate. Have any of the clubs in the bottom four got strikers who are Premier League standard?
This transfer has certainly weakened us but it is now a test for the board and the management team in how they remedy our current predicament of losing our best striker and how we are going to survive in the Premier League. Or prepare for life in the Championship bearing in mind the number of players who will be out of contract come the Summer.
Best wishes to Chris Wood for the future, but not for the final game of the season.
These 3 users liked this post: longsidepies evensteadiereddie Vino blanco

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:58 am

BurnleyFC wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:46 am
3 year deal. We’ve won the lottery and Wood has won the lottery as well.
Exactly my thoughts , could be a cracking deal for everyone , Woody gets his gilt edged pension , we get 25m to re-invest .
I’m no Pace fan boy but Cornet , Collins , Roberts and 25m for Wood could yet see him sainted

DanH90
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by DanH90 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:03 am

All this talk about Dyche transitioning to a new style of football and having the opportunity to do that now Wood has gone concerns me.

We have already tried to transition to a more forward thinking style of football this season, that is obvious watching the games, but our players are incapable of doing that.

If we sign a pacy striker in this window but do not sign a CM and a winger to go alongside it, that striker will get even less service than Wood did, as our current crop are not good enough to play a more expansive game.

Wood’s game has never been about holding the ball up, he is not a typical target man and never has been. His best form for Burnley is when he’s been alongside someone who can do all the donkey work for him. If we want to stay up I think we need 2 strikers in this window, a small pacy type but also a genuine target man, a la Vokes, and the latter of those two players is more important to us I think.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 170 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:06 am

Looks like we are now finally ready to explore the continental market.

It's not too late, but I've been advocating to do so 4-5 years ago... British players overpriced when moving between UK clubs (as is Wood), and BFC hasn't got enough financial clout to compete in this area. I said time and time again there are plenty of good players available for lesser prices, but who am I?

Anyone remember what happened to our European scout Ian Butterworth?

SD and MG to blame for this if you ask me, so let's hope Mr. Pace can address the issue. If so, I'm not too worried about the future.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10260 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:08 am

And Newcastle get a striker who, if used properly, will get at least ten goals for them this season.
The service he's received this season has been abysmal and his lack of confidence - not effort as some of our experts would have us believe - have made his performances go from bad to worse. I'm not sure that's anything for any Claret fan to crow about.
I wish him well. A new Tyneside hero ? Could be.
This user liked this post: Jamesy

turbo5
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by turbo5 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:12 am

£20m sounds a lot of money
I support Burnley football club not the balance sheet and the Profit and Loss
In real terms the £20M has potentially bought Newcastle a place in the premier league.
I know he hasn’t been scoring this season but he hasn’t been having the service
Put fuel in a car and it will go. You don’t sell it because it won’t work
I hope I am wrong but I think the Americans owners realise we are going down and selling whilst he has a value
The risk is selling and not being able to find a suitable replacement. Chris Wood is a proven goal scorer at this level

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:12 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:08 am
And Newcastle get a striker who, if used properly, will get at least ten goals for them this season.
The service he's received this season has been abysmal and his lack of confidence - not effort as some of our experts would have us believe - have made his performances go from bad to worse. I'm not sure that's anything for any Claret fan to crow about.
I wish him well. A new Tyneside hero ? Could be.
Good as he's been for us, I don't think he's good enough to get that many goals as that would be better than 1 in 2, which is heading towards elite striker level.

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:14 am

Vintage Claret 1946 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:34 am
This could backfire on Newcastle as they not only seem to have targeted Burnley but there area rumours that they area also targeting Norwich and Watford.

If has been reported we are to receive £25M for Wood, hopefully this additional capital will be re-invested in the first team could mean we replace an out of form striker with a striker / midfielder thus making our team better. If this turns out to be the case I would say Alan Pace has done a good deal.

As James Tarkowsky has made it plain he does not wish to remain at Burnley FC and his performances appear to have been affected, I would like to see him moved on in this transfer window and replaced with someone like Nat Phillips from Liverpool.
We are dealing with Saudi’s here - notorious for their ruthlessness when dealing with rivals. However they only need to act over Tarkowski if they think that he is the right player to strengthen their own defence. The player’s heart doesn’t appear to be in the job and his recent performances have already weakened the team as a result.

Even then, if a big offer came in, the player has a legally bound contract and can refuse the move - especially if he has already agreed a (£ms) signing on fee with another club in the summer.

The club has little or no influence over this situation and cannot demand that the player is sold regardless of the size of the offer. Remember Tarkowski has form in situations like this.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1188 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:15 am

blake's wand wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:24 am
Not overly worried about Wood going - my main concern is replacing him in Jan. If Newcastle with all the money in the world to pay whatever wages they want, have gone for Wood - what are we going to find?
You should be worried we all should be especially the people who still think we’ve got a chance of staying up, apart from Newcastle weakening us I think you’ve answered your question with your post, if wood is the best Newcastle can attract & go for it’s illogical to think we could get better like for like. Without questioning the rights & wrongs we have been stitched up like a kipper at the worst possible time by our closest relegation rival just let that sink in.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1575 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:16 am

Spijed wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:12 am
Good as he's been for us, I don't think he's good enough to get that many goals as that would be better than 1 in 2, which is heading towards elite striker level.
He scored in 9 in 15 for us in the second half of last season.

I think that’s achievable again with the likes of trips whipping in crosses. Wood has an excellent record at this level. Again the only strikers to match his consistency over the last 4 seasons are:

Salah
Son
Vardy
Kane
Lacazette

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:16 am

turbo5 wrote:
£20m sounds a lot of money
I support Burnley football club not the balance sheet and the Profit and Loss
In real terms the £20M has potentially bought Newcastle a place in the premier league.
I know he hasn’t been scoring this season but he hasn’t been having the service
Put fuel in a car and it will go. You don’t sell it because it won’t work
I hope I am wrong but I think the Americans owners realise we are going down and selling whilst he has a value
The risk is selling and not being able to find a suitable replacement. Chris Wood is a proven goal scorer at this level
£20m isn’t a lot of money though, especially in January. It might just buy us a Keiffer Moore. A poor mans Chris Wood in my opinion.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:17 am

Possibly - there's absolutely no doubt that this fresh start will reignite his season. He and Tripps will be worth watching. His goals will help keep them up so our short-term gain will provide Newcastle's long-term one.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:22 am

"We are dealing with Saudi’s here - notorious for their ruthlessness when dealing with rivals." Who'd be a Tyneside journalist ? :o

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:27 am

Daft by Newcastle. We were sterile, going nowhere, playing OK but Wood has been miles off it all season. Likely relegation due to lack of funds to strengthen.

Now they have given us those funds. They could have bought Origi and been just as strong, so it is their choice to try to weaken us. I think it will weaken us for next week but may strengthen us from February if we use it to buy two players. That could backfire on Newcastle, especially if Wood gets injured.

I’m being hopeful of course but if there is no hope, what else is there?

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:28 am

turbo5 wrote:
Chris Wood is a proven goal scorer at this level
So is Alan Shearer but would we want to sign him? At some stage players go past their peak and I’d imagine Wood is now somewhere on that journey.

Wood has been a great striker and servant for us. But this year his form has been dreadful - he’s like a big lump stood up front, offside most of the time. No pace, no movement, no link up play with misplaced passes and balls bouncing off him. And worse of all, he stands blaming others when he messes up and put in a half arsed press. I can handle players going through bad spells if they’re working their socks off, but he wasn’t.

What he’s always been good at is popping up with goals and even that’s gone to ****. I counted three very good chances vs. Leeds, and he brought one save out of Meslier.

That’s not to say he’s had great service. He hasn’t. But that his all round play has been poor and we’ve been carrying him, effectively playing 10 vs 11 most games.

I do think there’s a major risk he’ll up his game and look interested again for a new team. I also think he’ll get better service from Tripps, etc. But that is very different from him putting in equivalent performances for us had he stayed.

My view is we’d be more likely to go down if he stayed and kept turning out such stale performances.
These 4 users liked this post: Burnley Ace tiger76 Tread Warily Frenchclaret

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:32 am

In immediate terms this is a disaster. If you were looking at what might realistically change to give us hope in the second half of the season, a proven goalscorer finding form and going on the sort of 6 or 7 game goal streak Wood is well capable of was one of the most obvious. Replacing him with someone Premier League ready will be very difficult and it's hard to come up with any names who will be short-term fixes.

In that sense, we're paying the price for the fact we've delayed the inevitable for too long. We've clung to the core planks of the last 5 years for too long, and ended up with a team that is drifting towards the exit door, with their values diminishing. Selling Wood now with 18 months left on his deal is in one sense good business. But to make it manageable we needed to do more trading last summer - bite the bullet with Tarkowski, avoid Vydra getting into his final year, and look to use that money to shuffle the pack. Had we done so we might have had someone in the wings for Wood now. But we didn't, so we don't, and we're now going to be scrambling, so it's impossible to imagine we'll find great value for money.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:42 am

Good luck to CW for the future, he's been a good servant to BFC and I believe that he would've scored a few more - perhaps not his usual 10+ - for us before the season's end.

Should the deal go through, then we need to get a suitable replacement(s) onboard during January as we clearly don't have sufficient (any) strikers available at the moment, unless there's some star hidden in the U23s? Provided that happens, then I think it ought to be seen as a good bit of business:

Look at the deal from the opposite direction: How would YOU feel if it was being reported that Burnley were trying to buy a 30 year old, above average but out of form centre forward for £20-25M? This message-board might finally have a thread which we would all agree upon - it's a ludicrous idea; I thought Newcastle's purchase/salary package to secure Tripps was excessive, but I'd rather that (I can see him still doing a job at 35) than £20M+ and a big salary for Chris Wood.
This user liked this post: tiger76

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:50 am

There seems to be a lot of pressure being put on Trippier to “whip in” crosses that Wood will score from! Wood needs to get them on target first, never mind actually past the goalkeeper, something that he has been unable to do for most of the season.

Then he has to learn to stay onside!

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:54 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:16 am
He scored in 9 in 15 for us in the second half of last season.

I think that’s achievable again with the likes of trips whipping in crosses. Wood has an excellent record at this level. Again the only strikers to match his consistency over the last 4 seasons are:

Salah
Son
Vardy
Kane
Lacazette
What % of team goals has Wood scored in comparison. This just highlights our reliance on a centre forward to score goals. Just think, you are comparing Wood to Salah!!

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 668 times
Has Liked: 2056 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:54 am

claretspice wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:32 am
In immediate terms this is a disaster. If you were looking at what might realistically change to give us hope in the second half of the season, a proven goalscorer finding form and going on the sort of 6 or 7 game goal streak Wood is well capable of was one of the most obvious. Replacing him with someone Premier League ready will be very difficult and it's hard to come up with any names who will be short-term fixes.

In that sense, we're paying the price for the fact we've delayed the inevitable for too long. We've clung to the core planks of the last 5 years for too long, and ended up with a team that is drifting towards the exit door, with their values diminishing. Selling Wood now with 18 months left on his deal is in one sense good business. But to make it manageable we needed to do more trading last summer - bite the bullet with Tarkowski, avoid Vydra getting into his final year, and look to use that money to shuffle the pack. Had we done so we might have had someone in the wings for Wood now. But we didn't, so we don't, and we're now going to be scrambling, so it's impossible to imagine we'll find great value for money.
I'd largely agree with that but just hope that, as with Cornet, we are able to now cast our net further and bring in someone very effective at a more reasonable price from outside the UK.

Conroysleftfoot
Been Liked: 352 times
Has Liked: 294 times

Post by Conroysleftfoot » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:57 am

Weren't we also concerned that we would lose Wood for a period of time when he was away with NZ on international duty? Can't remember how long that was going to be for.

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 648 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:57 am

Burnley Ace wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:50 am
There seems to be a lot of pressure being put on Trippier to “whip in” crosses that Wood will score from! Wood needs to get them on target first, never mind actually past the goalkeeper, something that he has been unable to do for most of the season.

He also has Fraser, and St. Max to add to the supply line. I personally think Wood will be an excellent short term signing for Newcastle and will certainly contribute to their survival.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:59 am

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:09 am
There are lots of serious questions to be answered re this proposed signing.

Who is involved at Burnley? - everyone but the tea lady

Can BFC stop it happening? We're not obliged to sell anyone unless clauses are involved.

Did Sean know? What are his thoughts on the matter? - Yes, don't know.

Who instigated this? Wood? His Agent? Alan Pace? - rumours are he shares an agent with Tripps and during that transfer the agent made Newcastle aware of certain things.

If we can’t stop it, how ethical is it? (A post on a Newcastle forum said it all for me) :- it's business, ethics don't matter so long as we get a fair prices for our players.

“Weakening a relegation rival” - normal practice

Is that the new Newcastle way :o - survival is all that matters

Is this “Judas II? The return of the backstabber” ? - eh?

Obviously, lots will come out today and, no doubt, things will be hidden from us fans. Whatever happens, it seems like a sad day for Burnley Football Club and football as a game - what's sad about a club selling a player, it's normal practice for football.
Answered it all, let me know what grade I get for it.

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:00 am

WiscoClaret wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:29 am
Of course this is hypothetical but I’m wondering what the rules are:

Could a team, backed say by the finance of an oil rich country, buy up most of the players from a team thereby rendering them unable to compete? I suspect many of our players have release clauses in their contracts like Wood. Is it conceivable that Newcastle trigger 5-6 of our (or any other team’s) player’s release clauses and then we simply don’t have a team on say, the last day of the window?

Is there a rule against this kind of behavior?
If Wood's release fee is anything to go by then we'd have a lot of money to buy replacements. If we chose not to then that's our problem.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:08 am

Conroysleftfoot wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:57 am
Weren't we also concerned that we would lose Wood for a period of time when he was away with NZ on international duty? Can't remember how long that was going to be for.
One game probably.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:11 am

Conroysleftfoot wrote:
I wouldn’t worry about that, he will conveniently pick a ‘knock’ up just before those games. Newcastle have already shown how they are they are going to play ball.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:14 am

Andreshotboots wrote:
He also has Fraser, and St. Max to add to the supply line. I personally think Wood will be an excellent short term signing for Newcastle and will certainly contribute to their survival.
I fear you may be right though I hope his wretched form of 2021/22 continues until the end of the season. Beyond that, I will wish him all the very best, hopefully in The Championship.
This user liked this post: Andreshotboots

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:15 am

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:42 am
Good luck to CW for the future, he's been a good servant to BFC and I believe that he would've scored a few more - perhaps not his usual 10+ - for us before the season's end.
He’s been more than a good servant. He’s currently scored more Premier League goals for us than any other player and it would not surprise me if it was never to be surpassed.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:17 am

Tall Paul wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:08 am
One game probably.
He plays 3 games between the 18th and the 24th of March for New Zealand so he'll miss one game for Newcastle, Palace at home

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:22 am

Winstonswhite wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:15 am
He’s been more than a good servant. He’s currently scored more Premier League goals for us than any other player and it would not surprise me if it was never to be surpassed.
Ashley Barnes is only 8 goals behind so you never know If we have to throw him in this season :o

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:25 am

Now that would be impressive !

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1575 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:29 am

Talksport now saying it’s not a release clause

Fretters
Been Liked: 1052 times
Has Liked: 556 times

Post by Fretters » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:31 am

This is bad news, He's a proven goalscorer and I'm not having that he's past his peak, he's just out of form and confidence. Give him good service, which he'll get from Trippier, and a new start, and he'll get back to him best.

Nothing the club could do though. He might not have even signed his last contract without the release clause. I'm still seeing so many comments this morning along the lines of, "what are the club thinking?" and it's baffling.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1231 times

Post by joey13 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:39 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:29 am
Talksport now saying it’s not a release clause
Also reported on Sky last night

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:56 am

Andreshotboots wrote:
I don’t. He has been bought as cover and will spend most of his time sitting next to Hendrick.

So far this season Burnley are in 5th place for the number of crosses (370) Newcastle 17th (301).

We are also No1 for the most offsides (44) with Wood 3rd (16) just behind Vardy and Jimenez!

As for assists, St Max has the same number as Westwood and even Tarks has more than Fraser.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3778 times
Has Liked: 7577 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:02 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:56 am
I don’t. He has been bought as cover and will spend most of his time sitting next to Hendrick.

So far this season Burnley are in 5th place for the number of crosses (370) Newcastle 17th (301).

We are also No1 for the most offsides (44) with Wood 3rd (16) just behind Vardy and Jimenez!

As for assists, St Max has the same number as Westwood and even Tarks has more than Fraser.
I'd suggest Tripps will be pinging some good crosses in for whoever Eddie puts in up front.

Dodobdobodobo
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 303 times

Post by Dodobdobodobo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:03 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:50 am

He’ll get plenty of crosses too from Saint-Maximin and Almiron on top of Trippier. He will get his 10 goals in the Premiership for the 5th consecutive time and keep Newcastle up.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:04 pm

Buxtonclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:02 pm
I'd suggest Tripps will be pinging some good crosses in for whoever Eddie puts in up front.
Maybe but unless they tighten up at the back it won't do them any good.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:11 pm

Dodobdobodobo wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:03 pm
He’ll get plenty of crosses too from Saint-Maximin and Almiron on top of Trippier. He will get his 10 goals in the Premiership for the 5th consecutive time and keep Newcastle up.
You may be right , though Wood is not only getting paid double ( perhaps?) he’s actually gonna get service ( which we’re unable to do ) . You can’t blame Woody tbf. Neither can you blame Pace for getting 25m . Though aside from the obligatory debut goal anyone thinking Newc will be galvanised into some kind of elite unit may be very disappointed indeed.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:13 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:09 am
There are lots of serious questions to be answered re this proposed signing.

Who is involved at Burnley?

Can BFC stop it happening?

Did Sean know? What are his thoughts on the matter?

Who instigated this? Wood? His Agent? Alan Pace?

If we can’t stop it, how ethical is it? (A post on a Newcastle forum said it all for me) :

“Weakening a relegation rival”

Is that the new Newcastle way :o

Is this “Judas II? The return of the backstabber” ?

Obviously, lots will come out today and, no doubt, things will be hidden from us fans. Whatever happens, it seems like a sad day for Burnley Football Club and football as a game.
The report I read said the Tripps and Wood are managed by the same company. On the completion of the Tripps deal, the company made Newcastle aware of the availability of Wood due to his release clause.

Burnley, Dyche, Pace . Not even the Queen could prevent this deal going forward. A release clause is just that, the only thing that could stop this is Wood not agreeing personal terms.

PadihamThickNeck
Been Liked: 110 times
Has Liked: 77 times

There was no release clause

Post by PadihamThickNeck » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:19 pm

Various media outlets including TalkSPORT now reporting the release clause didn’t come into effect until the summer and Alan Pace accepted the deal voluntarily. :o :o

This is going to cause an uproar if we don’t have a replacement ready right away I wouldn’t put it past or blame Dyche for walking.

The club is a mess a really big one.

claret2018
Been Liked: 820 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Re: There was no release clause

Post by claret2018 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:20 pm

Only an idiot would have turned down that amount for Wood.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:20 pm

The only thing you can trust on Talkshite is the date

BLH_Claret
Been Liked: 59 times
Has Liked: 579 times

Post by BLH_Claret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:21 pm

No uproar from me, anything between 20 and 30 million is a cracking deal for a player of his age and length of contract. This to me is good business sense. The only uproar could possibly be if we fail to use the money to strengthen and quickly.

PadihamThickNeck
Been Liked: 110 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by PadihamThickNeck » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:21 pm

claret2018 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:20 pm
Only an idiot would have turned down that amount for Wood.
Not if we don’t replace him.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:22 pm

If there was no release clause it means we are about to learn a lot about how the club feels. Either we replace him or we don’t and I think that will be all the info anyone needs.

claret2018
Been Liked: 820 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:22 pm

PadihamThickNeck wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:21 pm
Not if we don’t replace him.
Stick the kit man up front for all Wood has done this year.