Fans turning on Pace?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11062 times
Has Liked: 5668 times

Re: Fans turning on Pace?

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:02 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:57 pm
It’s not a one of though. It’s consistent goals over a four year period.

We are losing our main striker in the middle of our most difficult relegation fight.
Yeah, that's history though

Here's a scenario for you which could be very plausible - what if Pace went to Dyche and said I can get 25 million for Wood and you can get those two other lads you are interested in. From everything we've heard from Pace and in particular Dyche it would suggest that Dyche would have to be very much on board with transfers. Nobody thought we would get Cornet, stop the blind panic and see what happens over the next week. If we don't bring anyone in then I would be in 100% agreement with you, but I just don't see that happening. I'd be gobsmacked if Dyche wasn't aware and agreed with the sale

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 857 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:04 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:02 pm

Here's a scenario for you which could be very plausible - what if Pace went to Dyche and said I can get 25 million for Wood and you can get those two other lads you are interested in. From everything we've heard from Pace and in particular Dyche it would suggest that Dyche would have to be very much on board with transfers. Nobody thought we would get Cornet, stop the blind panic and see what happens over the next week. If we don't bring anyone in then I would be in 100% agreement with you, but I just don't see that happening. I'd be gobsmacked if Dyche wasn't aware and agreed with the sale
This is the Dyche that in a critical transfer window only signed Dale Stephens.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1576 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:05 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:02 pm

Surely this is just conjecture at this point.

I am angry until proven different

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1773 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:07 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:05 pm

Bloke who spends his every waking hour on the “transfer discussion” thread talking about “conjecture”.
This user liked this post: TsarBomba

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:07 pm

If we've sold our best striker to a relegation rival without having a ready replacement, it really is ridiculous. However bad his form is, he's a proven striker at this level. He'll get goals for Newcastle.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:08 pm

“ pre Madonna” 😂

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:09 pm

Strange that anyone would blame Pace, when it is clear that Chris had a release clause, and the figure was met. Legally AP couldn't do a thing about it.
I think Wood will hit the ground running, and the usual suspects will argue why couldn't he do it for us. I think there is something really wrong about the club at the moment. The body language of the players shows that. Chris's lack of goals is a symptom of those problems, not the cause.
So long as we use the money to invest in the starting XI it could work out for all parties.

Presuming he's gone, I wish him nothing but good luck.
This user liked this post: Shappie

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:11 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:05 pm

Angry?

Get a grip. It’s football.

At least let things work it’s course before jumping to conclusions.
This user liked this post: tiger76

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:11 pm

Milltown1882 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:04 pm
who did you expect him to sign when he was only given a couple of boxes of twix to sign someone ? The changes at the Turf are pretty obvious especially in recruitment, I assume you were hibernating in the summer ?
This user liked this post: tiger76

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:12 pm

If Newcastle met a buy out Clause, there is nothing Pace, Dyche or even the Pope can do about it. PS he ain't gone yet, I also wonder if the offer was made at half time Saturday ;)

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2018 times
Has Liked: 2915 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:13 pm

Johma wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:10 pm
Live in the present
Hes crap
I expect you may change your mind, though I hope not. I can see a flow of Newcastle goals from Wood off Trippier. Our best hope is that the Newcastle fans turn on him quickly for his lack of concentration (especially looking along the line).

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 351 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:16 pm

It would be hilarious if we've just sold them a donkey for £25m and we survive, that would be the icing on the cake.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

Johma
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Johma » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:16 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:13 pm
I expect you may change your mind, though I hope not. I can see a flow of Newcastle goals from Wood off Trippier. Our best hope is that the Newcastle fans turn on him quickly for his lack of concentration (especially looking along the line).
Wood doesnt improve any prem side
Service may be better but i still see them down already

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:18 pm

Milltown1882 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:04 pm
I have heard SD was a bit nonplused that we had signed a player he had named as a target three years earlier, ignoring the new wish lists. I still hope Dale will make a contribution that finally allows all to justify the signing.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:21 pm

I am happy that Pace has brought his family over from America to set up home in this area. The cynics will see it as a smokescreen but I see it as a successful businessman committed to making his Burnley project long term and a success .
He doesn’t stand still for long and this Wood news sets up an exciting January transfer window for our club. Something was needed to shake up our sleepwalking to relegation mode that has materialised over the last few weeks.
I don’t rule out more surprises
These 9 users liked this post: Burnley1989 Vegas Claret k90bfc BLH_Claret Woonderbah Colburn_Claret COBBLE Vino blanco maidenover

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:21 pm

Johma wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:16 pm
Wood doesnt improve any prem side
Service may be better but i still see them down already
That is just silly talk. Wood may miss 2-3 golden chances for each goal, but that matters less when you create ten chances for him. Wood remains a menace in the air, Trippier will provide the quality ammunition, even scattergun style Wood will score, unless the toon fans quickly turn on him.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:23 pm

There's no chance Newcastle are going down even just with tripps and wood through the door. It is what it is, had a good run, but I can't see for the life of me which 3 teams are worse than us.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:25 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:21 pm
I am happy that Pace has brought his family over from America to set up home in this area. The cynics will see it as a smokescreen but I see it as a successful businessman committed to making his Burnley project long term and a success .
He doesn’t stand still for long and this Wood news sets up an exciting January transfer window for our club. Something was needed to shake up our sleepwalking to relegation mode that has materialised over the last few weeks.
I’d go further… I think this nails on that we are stirring things up this window.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:19 pm

matucana wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:45 pm
Could well be March for the publication of the accounts and possibly beyond. The Club's financial year will have ended on 31st December 2021 and information will currently be being pulled together to make up those final accounts. Areas such as cash flow will already be known and closely monitored throughout the year and may have had some bearing on this transfer. An audit of the accounts, subsidiary companies and supporting documentation will also take place over the next three months or so. Also bear in mind the impact of Covid in the first five months of 2021 when matches behind closed doors was the norm. Could well be some losses there.
Hi matucana, I'm not sure whether you've followed this mb over the last couple of years. Burnley FC's accounting year end was 30th June for many years - a very standard date for football clubs, because the seasons run from August to May, most years. When covid-19 struck and the 2019/20 Premier League season was delayed, BFC chose to extend their accounting year end to 31st July 2020. Private limited companies are, generally, allowed 9 months to file their accounts after their year end. with covid-19 their was an extra period allowed to file accounts. However, BFC published their accounts on the club's website in early April 2021. (I guess, Premier League rules required the accounts published then, rather than the longer time granted by Companies House et al).

So far as the directors knowing the status of the club's finances, this is a duty and responsibility of all directors of all limited companies. BFC directors will do this by a combination of management accounts, budgets and forecasts. These financial statements will include balance sheets, profit and loss statements and cash flow statements and cash flow forecasts. The directors will also be looking at the risks the club is exposed to, particularly those that may negatively impact on their cash flows and balance sheet. The directors won't be waiting for the auditors to audit the accounts to know the status of the club's finances. Of course, the directors will sign off the accounts when the auditors have completed the audit.

Easiest way to find a copy of the accounts is using the Companies House search facility.

UTC

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:36 pm

Was there a relegation clause? If Wood wasn't starting, £25 mil for him would be fantastic.
The issue we have is creativity from midfield was, and still is, our main problem.
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

Wembley09
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by Wembley09 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:42 pm

Chris Wood certainly wouldn't be turning on the Pace.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:10 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:21 pm
I hope he has already lined up the replacement and that Mr Messi enjoys Burnley and thinks it is just like Barcelona!

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 605 times

Post by Gordaleman » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:18 am

In my eyes, Pace has done nothing wrong as yet. He was the guy who brought in the most exciting player we've had in years, Cornet.

He can't do anything abot a contract that Wood signed before he arrived. I'm sure that we will be signing one or two players this window that will easilly make up for Wood's departure, if he goes.

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 589 times

Post by rob63 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:37 am

Lew200100 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:54 pm
Deluded if you think fans will be against Wood going. He played well second half of last season and that’s it.glad he’s gone we would be better off without him up or down fantastic business. Get tarkie booted through the door and time to re build. Tarkie is another overplayed pre Madonna. He thinks he’s Arnold Keoman but not in my book. Clear the dross and billy big Bo****s out and re build with younger players who want to play and have energy.
I thought Ronald Koeman was a much better player than Arnold, even Erwin was better than him ;)

WiscoClaret
Been Liked: 42 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by WiscoClaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:22 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:12 pm
This is a white flag to our PL status that money won’t be reinvested it’s reducing the debt to a sinking ship.
A release clause is written by the club the player owns. It’s all agreed when their initial contract is signed. That was in 2019 I believe. Are we waving a white flag from 2019? If the release clause # is met, I’m led to believe the fee must be paid all up front in one lump sum. No structure, straight cash. The only person who may stop the deal are the player themselves. Wood clearly hasn’t. It’s called... we almost got double for what we paid. This was Garlick. The fact that we went from not a lot of cash to flush with it (Cornet’s deal is paid over a couple of years.) means that we can buy players we probably couldn’t have before or offer MUCH DIFFERENT structures to the ones we had initially thought we could afford.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:42 am

WiscoClaret wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:22 am
A release clause is written by the club the player owns. It’s all agreed when their initial contract is signed. That was in 2019 I believe. Are we waving a white flag from 2019? If the release clause # is met, I’m led to believe the fee must be paid all up front in one lump sum. No structure, straight cash. The only person who may stop the deal are the player themselves. Wood clearly hasn’t. It’s called... we almost got double for what we paid. This was Garlick. The fact that we went from not a lot of cash to flush with it (Cornet’s deal is paid over a couple of years.) means that we can buy players we probably couldn’t have before or offer MUCH DIFFERENT structures to the ones we had initially thought we could afford.
I'm 100% sure the release clause wasn't written by us, it would have been a negotiation between Garlick and Woods agent until they agreed a fee. Without the clause Wood probably wouldn't have extended his contract. The players and agents seem to have all the power these days unfortunately
This user liked this post: WiscoClaret

WiscoClaret
Been Liked: 42 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by WiscoClaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:44 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:42 am
I'm 100% sure the release clause wasn't written by us, it would have been a negotiation between Garlick and Woods agent until they agreed a fee. Without the clause Wood probably wouldn't have extended his contract. The players and agents seem to have all the power these days unfortunately
Yes! 100%. It was a convo between Garlick, agent, And Woody.
Essentially what I meant.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1189 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:46 am

WiscoClaret wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:22 am
I know all this you are telling me something I already know, the fact remains we are likely to go down without him & I don’t think that money will be reinvested back into the team maybe I’m wrong it’s impossible to say that though right now. People are saying it’s a good deal it only benefits the club if the money is ploughed back in & not lining somebody’s pockets.

SydneyClaret
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by SydneyClaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:13 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:46 pm
Signing Blackburn’s top scorer will go a long way
I was thinking the exact same thing. Give them the same as we foot for Wood and pay him the same wages and weve got a great deal.

The only issue is he’s too young, quick and direct for Dycheball and will take him a season and a half to be Dyche fit.
This user liked this post: BLH_Claret

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:15 am

and he's only been good for 6 months in his entire career

leightonjameslegend
Been Liked: 104 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by leightonjameslegend » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:44 am

As soon as the news broke I said to my mates, some fans will find a way to blame the 'Yanks'
Despite having nothing to do with the contract that Garlick agreed! This could be been avoided by adding in ' not to be sold to a relegation rival/club in bottom 3' let's face it Wood would have been thinking of a higher place club. He is only going to Newcastle for the money.
The deal if sold to anyone but a rival is amazing for a player who has been awful this season and offers very little other than scoring goals. Maybe just maybe this will help change our DNA and stop us seemingly sleepwalking into relegation..
Nothing certain and we could still go down, but we need younger more flexible players whatever division we are in.
These 2 users liked this post: tiger76 Vegas Claret

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2329 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:55 am

I think people forget that Players dictate contracts, not the club. It’s unlikely any player signs a contract that doesn’t work in their favour should they want to leave.
A club like Burnley will only manage to sign players with release clauses, I’d imagine Cornets will be pretty low

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:09 am

Everyone has a price and Newcs silly money ticked the box . Wood on his last big contract anyway ,can’t blame him doubling his wages . Looks to be good business all round

SonofPog
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:02 am

Like it or. This is what the Pace ownership is all about.

Selling our players for the maximum amount - and hopefully using our AI Scouts to find better, cheaper players.

It might not work, there's risks involved. But Cornet, Collins and Roberts are all promising, compared to what came before anyway.

And for me, its more exciting than what we have at the moment... an aging team, with an increasing wage bill, not supported by any sign of an increasing skill level, a slow death.
These 3 users liked this post: tiger76 tarkys_ears Vegas Claret

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1231 times

Post by joey13 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:07 am

leightonjameslegend wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:44 am
As soon as the news broke I said to my mates, some fans will find a way to blame the 'Yanks'
Despite having nothing to do with the contract that Garlick agreed! This could be been avoided by adding in ' not to be sold to a relegation rival/club in bottom 3' let's face it Wood would have been thinking of a higher place club. He is only going to Newcastle for the money.
The deal if sold to anyone but a rival is amazing for a player who has been awful this season and offers very little other than scoring goals. Maybe just maybe this will help change our DNA and stop us seemingly sleepwalking into relegation..
Nothing certain and we could still go down, but we need younger more flexible players whatever division we are in.
So what do you think about it being Paces decision to sell as the release clause doesn’t apply till the summer ?

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1033 times
Has Liked: 1522 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 am

£5m to get a non scoring striker a few months early?

Brilliant!

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:35 am

joey13 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:07 am
So what do you think about it being Paces decision to sell as the release clause doesn’t apply till the summer ?
This is not meant to be a challenge, but is there a link to the evidence of the contract position.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:37 am

Garlick ran BFC like a business

Pace runs BFC like a business

I mean, it really is as simple as that

joey13

Post by joey13 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:38 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:35 am
This is not meant to be a challenge, but is there a link to the evidence of the contract position.
Unless someone’s just made it up 🤷‍♂️

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:46 am

joey13 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:38 am
Unless someone’s just made it up 🤷‍♂️
It’s just all the reports I have read is that both him and Tripps are controlled by the same company, The company made Newcastle aware of the release clause upon completion of the Tripps deal.

Sounds very plausible to me, you just bought Tripps, how about this striker for X, it’s his release clause amount.

leightonjameslegend
Been Liked: 104 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by leightonjameslegend » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:01 pm

joey13 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:07 am
Think he did a good deal..let's not be niave this move was manufactured by his agent. If he said he wanted to go why would we keep a player who is unhappy, not scoring and playing badly? Perhaps Pace/Dyche thought time to cash in and bring in some younger, more flexible talent.
Either way I feel we were going down with Wood up front so it's a throw of the dice.
The only negative is he has gone to a rival..he may find form again which is bad news for us, but then again he might flop.
Either way for me Pace did the best he could do in a no win situation.
These 3 users liked this post: tiger76 Dark Cloud Leisure

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2007 times
Has Liked: 3354 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:11 pm

No blame attached to Pace at this stage imo. That might change if other things emerge later and it will definitely change if we don't use some of the money to sign a replacement pretty sharpish. Pace appears to have been pushed into a corner whether he wanted to sell Wood or not and has actually got the best deal for the club out of it. Much, much better than I'd have expected tbh.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:25 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:11 pm
No blame attached to Pace at this stage imo. That might change if other things emerge later and it will definitely change if we don't use some of the money to sign a replacement pretty sharpish. Pace appears to have been pushed into a corner whether he wanted to sell Wood or not and has actually got the best deal for the club out of it. Much, much better than I'd have expected tbh.
Can you name a striker of the same quality at the same price who would sign for Burnley

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:30 pm

joey13 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:25 pm
Can you name a striker of the same quality at the same price who would sign for Burnley
Morellos at Rangers possibly? Would suit our style. Runs the channels, good in the air. Question is would he come to us.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2007 times
Has Liked: 3354 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:10 pm

joey13 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:25 pm
No joey, off the top of my head I can't name someone, but I'd like to think our recruitment team, including Pace and Dyche can name several POSSIBILITIES because they work in football and I don't. I emphasise possibilities because whoever they want to bring in might not want to come or even be available and also because there are no guarantees in footy. We could sign someone who is as yet under the radar for half the Wood fee and him turn out to be a world beater. Or we might get sold a right pup. We'll see.

helmclaret
Been Liked: 325 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by helmclaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:25 pm

Signings since the new owners have come in have been very good. Problem now is the lack of investment over the last few years and the old guard on the pitch not performing like they used to.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1491 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:26 pm

Alan Pace has signed 3 very good players and will get more in this January

joey13

Post by joey13 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:29 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:26 pm
Alan Pace has signed 3 very good players and will get more in this January
He’s signed 1 very good player , Collins decent prospect,Roberts no one knows how good he is