Lost the Spark

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Penwortham_Claret
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Lost the Spark

Post by Penwortham_Claret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:58 am

Post pandemic I’m totally out of love with the beautiful game. It’s every aspect that has changed but for the worse. The constant changing/rearranging fixtures has things feeling disjointed.

I’ve zero interest in international football. El Classico has lost it’s appeal with sub standard teams which also leaks into Champions League football.

Something that has been more damaging than many will have considered is the change to the Soccer Saturday format as I choose to no longer watch meaning I have less knowledge of what is going on in the wider football world.

My current situation is no season ticket and no intention of buying another currently, I’ve no idea who remains in the Champions League and Match of the Day has been taken off series link.

Anybody else feeling similar?
These 8 users liked this post: bfcjg JTClaret jjclaret Steve1956 SussexDon1inIreland kentonclaret Aclaret Bosscat

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4181 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Re: Lost the Spark

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:06 am

Apart from going to our games I watch very little football these days.

The thought of spending 3 or 4 nights a week plus Saturday and Sunday watching football on a screen seems such a waste of life, there are far better things to do with your time.

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:16 am

Penwortham_Claret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:58 am
Post pandemic I’m totally out of love with the beautiful game. It’s every aspect that has changed but for the worse. The constant changing/rearranging fixtures has things feeling disjointed.

I’ve zero interest in international football. El Classico has lost it’s appeal with sub standard teams which also leaks into Champions League football.

Something that has been more damaging than many will have considered is the change to the Soccer Saturday format as I choose to no longer watch meaning I have less knowledge of what is going on in the wider football world.

My current situation is no season ticket and no intention of buying another currently, I’ve no idea who remains in the Champions League and Match of the Day has been taken off series link.

I'm with you PC. Far too much football on TV. No interest in the Champions League.

Just hope we can rally to spark the enthusiasm again. A win tmrw will certainly help !

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 353 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:29 am

Covid has made everything feel like hard work when it comes to football. The postponement of the leagues, empty stadiums, I then bizarrely felt a bit ‘footballed out’ with the daily televised matches - it was hard to keep up.

Then there was the whole whoo-haa with the Black Lives Matter stuff.

Euro 2020 was a bit bitty for me, other than England i didn’t feel engaged in it.

The emergence of women’s football… it’s clearly ****, but you not allowed to say anything.

The Super League fiasco was an absolute joke - annoys me because fans have forgiven them now

Fans returning but attendances are sporadic, with games being postponed, and the likes of Klopp whinging about fixtures

Covid passports needed and the politics around that.

And Burnley being **** under new dodgy owners doesn’t help, It’s hard to enjoy with the negativity, division around.

I just want to watch football like I used to
These 6 users liked this post: Belial gawthorpe_view Burnley1989 JTClaret alf_resco SussexDon1inIreland

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5070 times
Has Liked: 6841 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:41 am

Totally agree,over exposed, over paid,over hyped tripe. If I didn't go out on the beer with friends and family before the turf I'd be less motivated going on there as well,especially with the dross served up of late.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:43 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:29 am
Covid has made everything feel like hard work when it comes to football. The postponement of the leagues, empty stadiums, I then bizarrely felt a bit ‘footballed out’ with the daily televised matches - it was hard to keep up.

Euro 2020 was a bit bitty for me, other than England i didn’t feel engaged in it.

The emergence of women’s football… it’s clearly ****, but you not allowed to say anything.

The Super League fiasco was an absolute joke - annoys me because fans have forgiven them now

Fans returning but attendances are sporadic, with games being postponed, and the likes of Klopp whinging about fixtures

And Burnley being **** under new dodgy owners doesn’t help, It’s hard to enjoy with the negativity, division around.

Agree with all of the above. Throw in commentators that are put in to suit rather than on merit, and the main aspect for me, which is the money which is spiralling out of control whilst smaller clubs with long traditions are going bust...

I used to be buzzing all week for the game when we were down in the 4th and 3rd division, and away games were especially fun, but slowly that has faded away and I can't ever think that same feeling will ever come back again
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

claret2018
Been Liked: 809 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:43 am

I was the same, although I’ve never had any interest in the Champions League.

I started going to more non league games and it’s so much better. It doesn’t feel like a chore like going to the Turf has done for ages.

In 12 months I wonder if I’ll even be checking what the scores in the PL are.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:49 am

I’ve tried really hard and, as a Burnley fan, we say never again a couple of times a season at least.

But Leeds. Last straw almost. Games here 530am /8 am. Get up. Absolute rubbish and I get so mad it takes over my entire weekend.

I wish I wasn’t so passionate and feel so affected but at this point I’m just about done emotionally. It would be easier just to not watch and find out the results later.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:53 am

claret2018 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:43 am
I started going to more non league games and it’s so much better. It doesn’t feel like a chore like going to the Turf has done for ages.

In 12 months I wonder if I’ll even be checking what the scores in the PL are.
Same. We started going non league during Lockdown II when that's all you could go and watch. But we enjoyed it so much, we've sort of got into the habit and really enjoy the day there. Walk down, have a beer watching the game, no VAR nonsense, no ludicrous convoluted ticket schemes, £5 to get in and good, honest football still a few levels above anything I could have managed.

Thinking about the Premier League and Champions League just makes me angry most of the time, what's the point of that. I'll still go to the Turf quite often and have been to a couple of aways this season but it's just for social/family reasons really.

Overall, I'd say I like football as much as ever, once you get back to actual football and not the circus at the top levels of the professional game.
These 3 users liked this post: BurnleyFC SussexDon1inIreland Ashingtonclaret46

claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 693 times

Post by claretgimmer » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:54 am

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:29 am

All the above although I would like to give the owners the benefit of the doubt at the moment, and the sound of Klopp and Co continually bleating on about to many matches but never complaining about the Champions league format ( ££££££`s) and the way the not fit for purpose FA have allowed the clubs to manipulate their fixtures using Covid as an excuse when to me it`s obvious what`s happening, or maybe I`m just an old cynic. I think we all know that as fans nobody in authority gives a monkeys about us and the inconvenience and expense we suffer when these matches are called off, I love my Saturday 3.00 ko football but I feel at the top level the game as a spectacle is dying on its arse.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:54 am

I think social media plays a big part in it. I used to enjoy hiding away from results so I could enjoy watching Match of the Day later on.

It’s harder now because you know the key talking points of every game after just a few scrolls on Facebook.

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:55 am

I’m the same as the OP but more than anything it is the product that is to blame.
Diving, cheating, lying, time-wasting, the mis-use of VAR by the current crop of awful officials.
I watch more rugby now.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:57 am

VAR is another thing. I liked the idea to help the refs but they’ve over complicated it and they’ve got too involved.

There’s no ‘level’ anymore in offsides and it’s killed the momentum after all the goals as well

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1618 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:04 am

Still enjoy it, even though we’re having a god awful season, but I’ve said for a long time that I much prefer grassroots kid’s football.

claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 693 times

Post by claretgimmer » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:05 am

Just to digress slightly but if we do get relegated would attendances drop as dramatically as we think because maybe most matches being at 3.00 Sat plus Tuesday/midweek night games would certainly be more of an incentive to go and to be honest I personally find the Championship football just as entertaining as Premiership, not quite the quality but less theatricals and better refs who allow football to be played a bit more like I certainly think it should be and of course no bloody VAR killing the moment.
Last edited by claretgimmer on Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:05 am

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:54 am
I think social media plays a big part in it. I used to enjoy hiding away from results so I could enjoy watching Match of the Day later on.

It’s harder now because you know the key talking points of every game after just a few scrolls on Facebook.
It does feel like Premier League and Champions League is as much a content provider for social platforms as it is a sporting competition.

HB Claret
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:07 am

Being an exiled Claret I don’t get to the games but the hope, despair, the prude, the passion never dwindles. Most of my life has been spent watching games at Brentford, Orient, Barnet, Wimbledon, Southend and Gillingham where it has often been turgid but it us still Burnley. I love football for Burnley and for every 90 minutes of every game they are in my thoughts. Yes it is bloody tough, VAR seems unjust, Covid cancellations have affected us when maybe they shouldn’t but through it all it is still my Burnley and will be until I die.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:08 am

I know what the OP's saying and there's no doubt the pandemic and the basic cheating that underpins the PL brand have put the game and its importance into perspective for many, many people.
I'm one of them but I do know, and I'm pretty frustrated by it, a couple of wins for the Clarets in the next two games would make it all bearable again.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 852 times
Has Liked: 1094 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:17 am

Covid has made may lose a bit of interest but I expect it’s the opposite for some. I’ve just found other things to do. I’m not interested in CL group games either. I don’t feel any affiliation to players who are all cash mercenaries. It’s different in the lower leagues. I’ve missed a few Burnley games out of choice even though I’m a season ticket holder. I’m just not being entertained. I thought the Leeds game was shambolic. Following the Wood saga I’m not a sure the players are busting a gut. I like junior /grass routes football and may watch my local teams in a few lower league / conference matches.

eastanglianclaret
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by eastanglianclaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:19 am

I fell out with football many years ago for all the reasons mentioned by minnieclaret and some more. I only really now have any interest in games associated with The Clarets. Interestingly I recently watched a re-run of the Coventry Tottenham Cup Final in 1987 and really enjoyed it. It was really refreshing to see fully committed players who didn't fall over for fun, chase the referee, scream like a pig when brushed by an opposition player, initiate contact to win penalties and free kicks etc, etc, etc............ad infinitum. I'm not saying such things didn't happen back then just that, when you see a game being played 'properly' (IMO) the game really is/was a thing of beauty.
These 2 users liked this post: alf_resco SussexDon1inIreland

PeterWilton
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by PeterWilton » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:22 am

Penwortham_Claret wrote:

Losing interest in hobbies you love is a symptom of depression. Might be worth talking it over with your doctor. It's probably just that you've realised football sucks :) but just in case it's not that, have the chat.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:27 am

After 18 months out of the grounds or whatever it was I thought there would be a huge buzz about people wanting to attend the games.
It’s just not happened at all for me, or in general it seems.

Even before it became apparent we were going to have a poor season.

Strange really, I can’t really put my finger on why.

buzzclarets79
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by buzzclarets79 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:34 am

I’ve actually gone the other way to the OP over the pandemic, got all the platforms (sky, BT etc) to watch prem football so it’s very rare now that if there’s a game on I won’t watch it, even if it’s just on in the background. It’s our games that I’ve found increasingly difficult to watch, the Man Utd match I turned off before HT which something I’d never done before.
We are serving up some god awful performances and style of play simply is such a hard watch. I was hoping that the Leicester game would be called off simply because I just don’t fancy going on the turf but at same time hate to miss a home match.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:38 am

I’ve only ever watched BFC games and though I’ll occasionally watch MOTD I’ve almost zero interest in watching other teams play . Might watch the odd 5 mins here and there but never did get the obsession with other teams

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2292 times
Has Liked: 2165 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:39 am

claretgimmer wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:05 am
Just to digress slightly but if we do get relegated would attendances drop as dramatically as we think because maybe most matches being at 3.00 Sat plus Tuesday/midweek night games would certainly be more of an incentive to go and to be honest I personally find the Championship football just as entertaining as Premiership, not quite the quality but less theatricals and better refs who allow football to be played a bit more like I certainly think it should be and of course no bloody VAR killing the moment.
Gave up a season ticket that I wasn’t paying for, I just fell out of love with football about 4 years ago, loved it in the championship. I know your die hard fans struggle to get their head around it and bring up the hand full of wins we get a season and how great they are (which they are) I just felt with young kids, I’d take a break and watch them at home.
I’ll be getting one with the 8 year old daughter next season if we go down and I’m quite looking forward to her seeing us score goals and win.
This user liked this post: sox8595

ALP
Been Liked: 1465 times
Has Liked: 387 times

Post by ALP » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:07 am

I too have lost interest in the game at the high end. I am tired of the cheating, ref's and pundits buying into it with embarrassing viewing. The money pit of the Premier League has made the game contemptible as it removed the 'sporting' element of the game, and at the end of the day it was a sport. VAR and the constant meddling with the laws of the game have yet again screwed the game over, the game had been played for a long time without the need to change this, that and the other. Referee's took a slating on a match day for the one bad decision, but it was an honest bad decision; now they are scared to make a decision due to overpaid pundits ripping them to bits. The game is screwed and I won't be going back on, I'll live off the memories of when football was a good sport to go and watch, oh, and I'll also take in some non league too, where the game is played as it should be.
These 2 users liked this post: alf_resco SussexDon1inIreland

alf_resco
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by alf_resco » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:22 am

Agree totally with OP.
Also, there's a wonderful article in today's DT - "My six decades as a football fan" written by a Palace fan/writer.
Could almost be me, word for word re. Burnley.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/0/six ... s-changed/

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:21 am

Penwortham_Claret wrote:

Great post PC I'm sure many not just Our support but support from every club is feeling the same way,football with its greed & cheating is going down the toilet.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:33 am

No Saturday home game until March now, and that could potentially be moved. Must admit after 18 months away the drop in our home and away support isn't good.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:54 am

I think a lot of people can relate to the opening post. If I’m honest I’d no enthusiasm whatsoever just before the season started. We go to all home games but I really think “Lost the Spark” sums it up. There’s so much wrong with the game today, money of course plays a big part, far too many problems to list. I’m glad I had the experience of watching us in the 60s and 70s, that’s when you watched proper football on a more even stage.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:02 pm

Look at the origins of the founder members of the football league.

Football has been stolen from the northern working class man.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:03 pm

I think the whole thing needs a reset to be honest.

Watching Burnley has become a chore, you seem to know what will happen regardless of the line up and opposition. Too many games we have looked lively and up for it at the start only to fizzle out and withdraw into a defensive shell that is no longer impenetrable. Brentford 1st half aside, being at Turf Moor has lost the appeal and feeling of enjoyment. Grumbling from all around for the most part because there isn't anything to get the fans buzzing.

I really hope it comes back but fear that a few decent incoming players is the only way to get the atmosphere jumping.

UTC :roll:
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3077 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:11 pm

I miss my kids.
I had, still have bizarrely, 2 season tickets. My children used to take turns in watching a match with me. New Covid regulations scuppered that, and even though I had ST on my own for many years prior, there just isn't the same pleasure in going on alone. The results don't help either..
Because it had been so long since I'd been on, I was finally looking forward to Leicester tomorrow, then bugger it they pull it.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:10 pm

Latest postponement just about confirms the thread title.

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:40 pm

I got bored of the football under dyche tbh I know some don't like that but i could waste my time doing other things

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:25 pm

Doesn't help that we're struggling this season. That said, in the main over the last few seasons it's been poor fare and we've never evolved on the pitch. Off the pitch, yes, but the team is still playing the same mind-numbing predictable football. It's not the Burnley way, through the decades we've been known as a team that plays predominately on the front foot. If this is the price of being in the PL so be it, I'll still renew my season ticket no matter what league we're in but I can't say I get excited about the 40 mile journey each way up and down the m6 and m65.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 1515 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:35 pm

Think I've watched more AFCON than PL football (not including us) on TV this year.

I used to watch games every saturday and sunday, a bit or sometimes all of them. Now I can't be arsed. It's such a chore watching the same diving, cheating primadonnas, idiot refs, VAR farce...

Gave up watching England after the Euros.

Really can't be bothered with any of it these days. The sports are killing themselves chasing the pocketmoney of imbecillic fans who they dumb it down for. F1 seems to be going to same way too.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:47 pm

The only sport I now have on series link is the sumo wrestling but even that has been tainted a bit by the thoughts that some bouts are being bought.
Wakatakkage doing his best impression of burnley the first 4 days of this basho.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1692 times
Has Liked: 2530 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:01 pm

I do empathise with the OP and other posters. Too many times, probably, I've mentioned my first game was in November 1958 and I've witnessed everything since; good and bad. Saturdays used to be magical with either no school or no work and the anticipation of a 3 o' clock kick off. Similar feeling when there was a midweek game under the lights. I still attend home games with son and daughter and 10 year old grandson but not been to an away game in nearly 4 years. As long as they want to go I'll go with them so I'm not going to spoil the group by opting out.
As for recorded and live games, excepting when we are involved, it's a very long time since I've shown even the remotest of interest. It's a gravy train certainly and it does make me wonder what on earth the many pundits/ experts would do to make a living if this wasn't available. Inarticulate, unprepared, monotonous are just some of the accusations I could throw at them. I like sport/ games especially those involving a ball but it seems the 'plague' has spread to all of them; the commentary on the cricket is an ear-bashing from people who just never shut up. Didn't think I would be contributing to this thread but it seems the number of unenthusiastic, dissatisfied 'sports' fans is increasing at quite a rate.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:06 pm

I'd like to see more wingers who'll take a man on, something that makes me rise to my feet subconsciously and shout "go on". That buzz of excitment where everytime the ball is played out wide you feel something is going to happen, it doesn't always come off, but at least there's an attempt. The anticipation that if he skins his man we're in on goal, marvelling at the skill, "did you just see that!". What's killing it for me is where it's clear when a player is scared to lose possession, sometimes a player will lose possession, I'm not bothered as long as they're having a go.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:09 pm

With the COVID worries and pretty dire football, I have only been on to the Brighton and Brentford games this season
Can watch the games on Hesgoals and, even if we get relegated and streaming won't be available, just don't have the desire to renew for next season
Without some significant changes to either squad or management or both

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:18 pm

Yet to some football has become more important.

Guess it depends what other interests people have .

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:20 pm

VAR, soft decisions and Burnley being absolutely awful has certainly seen me care considerably less about football in general

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:27 pm

I agree with the OP.
I didn’t renew this season for a couple of family and personal reason. But then daughter could not attend Uni and is doing her degree remotely.
So we bought new ST each , been away to Newcastle where the second half performance was for us diabolical.
I was a big supporter of VAR coming in, how wrong was I. The premise of clear and obvious mistakes sounded great. What transpired was micro measuring by a millimetre if someone was offside minutes before the goal. No point celebrating. Now this season it’s become worse than pointless. It appears they have just agreed to agree all the time.
We had a season with lots of players out of contract before and this is a repeat of that season, IMO.

I used to watch CL and most PL matches, I refuse to pay all the different providers so havnt watched a CL match for a few years and don’t pay for BT sport which seems to have more PL. matches now than Sky. It means you just watch less and less matches.

Before the season started I thought we would be relegated, due to lack of investment and players out of contract.

I think relegation just might give me some spark back.

Terrier
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Post by Terrier » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:14 pm

Take the seats out.........problem solved!

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:45 pm

The rule changes, VAR, and the all too regular cheating haven't helped.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:03 pm

Like I've said many times, if it wasn't for Burnley FC I'd have f***ed this stupid manipulated nonsense game (professional) off about 25 years ago.

Roger1960
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by Roger1960 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:36 pm

I’m doing the 92 at the moment ,74 done so far, and to be honest the atmosphere, banter and general day out is far more fun at the lower league matches I have been to , a recent 3-2 match at Coventry with a final minute home winner was brilliant and the crowd put anything in the prem to shame . In a different way a Friday night match at Barrow was funny and good committed football . Our matches have for too long been a dire grind that everyone around where I sit find depressing , there is no fun for us sacrificial teams in the prem any more I won’t miss it if we drop
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill cockneyclaret

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:18 pm

I can sympathise with nearly all of the comments from disgruntled fans listed here but what offends me the most ( and I have been a claret since 1958 ) is the way that success is now linked to the wealth of the owners. Every club is looking to land that multi millionaire owner or conglomerate that will bankroll the club so as to disadvantage other clubs who have yet to land that 'sugar daddy.'
Our club is not exempt and yet we have done it differently and seem to have snatched at some elusive group who want to 'get in on the act' and own a football club in the UK.
A fellow fan of mine sent me a long article published in The Guardian that set out to explain Burnley's takeover and the financial implications. I read it until my eyes glazed over and still don't understand it because it seems unfathomable, and I know that the previous owners seem to have joined in some kind of stitch up but what does the phrase 'fit and proper person' mean as a requisite for owning a football club?
Are the owners of Newcastle 'fit and proper persons?' It seems to me that what decides fit and proper is the amount of money being chucked at it. This is what sickens me about todays' professional football. That and the ridiculous high wages for many Pl players. Football has sold it soul and despite the vast sums has contrived to sell it cheaply.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:46 am

I've watched considerably less football this season than in any other, I would imagine that trend is going to continue going forward. The PL has become extremely tedious tbh, Man City bore me to death, Klopp, Tuchel and Arteta do nothing but ******* complain. Maybe I just need to watch another league or go back to watching non league stuff.

Oh yeah, and VAR can **** off