Misogyny rife of football messageboards

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
expoultryboy
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 453 times

Re: Misogyny rife of football messageboards

Post by expoultryboy » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:43 pm

Godis : I'll probably be watching the championship by then 🤣

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:53 pm

Many on here being deliberately disingenuous by suggesting misogyny is about criticising the quality of the womens' game.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:05 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:53 pm
Many on here being deliberately disingenuous by suggesting misogyny is about criticising the quality of the womens' game.
Perhaps in the same way that many are being deliberately disingenuous by suggesting that criticism based on apathy and lack of interest is based on a hatred of or contempt towards women.
This user liked this post: aclaretinstevenage

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:39 pm

its a nonsense,society should be allowed to evolve naturally without some label being slapped on something every ten minutes.
Constantly crow barring new initiatives into all of our lives leaves many of us confused and unready to change opinions just because some one somewhere says we need to.
Its the rate of change that we are all expected to accept. We hardly get a chance to draw breath thesedays before another topic has been shut down or renamed.
Give us a break.
Most men have the best intentions for women, they have wives, sisters, daughters, aunts etcetera. Most want them to thrive in whatever capacity. But honing in on football messageboards is about as far off the mark as possible. Its only relatively recently that womens football has been given prominence, very very few requested it . But the powers that be have made sure we had all better like it or lump it. that isnt the basis for anything relevant.

ClaretinJapan
Been Liked: 46 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by ClaretinJapan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:45 am

It's sort of on a par with Scottish football.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:34 am

I coach an U16 girls football team. I’ve done it for 8 years and love it. My eldest plays in the team. As a result I guess this kind of discussion is on my radar more than it would be if I wasn’t involved.

My observation is this. The girls don’t compare themselves to the male teams. I don’t think they care whether people believe it’s a superior or inferior product to the men’s game. Female football is its own thing. Be involved or not. Watch it or don’t. As someone else on the thread points out, the constant need to rank it alongside a particular league or division in the men’s game isn’t seen to same extent in other sports. It’s almost always men making those comparisons too.

The idea that it’s rammed down anyones throat in an age when your media/sport consumption options are pretty much infinite and you can watch a top level male football game (or three) instead most days of the week, is frankly bonkers and sort of proves the point the article in the OP.

I don’t particularly like reality TV/talent shows even tho they are watched (a lot) in my house and seem to occupy a lot of prime time terrestrial schedules. I can’t ever recall feeling they’ve been rammed down my throat though. I just don’t watch them.
These 3 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Loyalclaret Billy Balfour

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:44 am

Absolutely 100% agreenwood. You never, ever hear the comparison coming from the women and girls involved. They simply enjoy playing the sport and the fitness and camaraderie it brings.

It’s inadequate, frightened men who constantly have to belittle it and cry about even being made aware of it, endlessly shouting to anyone about how little they care for it.

Men who actually play the game at a decent level, who aren’t racked with insecurity - like the semi pros at my local club - are really positive and supportive of all the affiliated women and girls’ teams.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:55 am

NottsClaret wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:44 am
Absolutely 100% agreenwood. You never, ever hear the comparison coming from the women and girls involved. They simply enjoy playing the sport and the fitness and camaraderie it brings.

It’s inadequate, frightened men who constantly have to belittle it and cry about even being made aware of it, endlessly shouting to anyone about how little they care for it.

Men who actually play the game at a decent level, who aren’t racked with insecurity - like the semi pros at my local club - are really positive and supportive of all the affiliated women and girls’ teams.
I’ve never worried about whether my team would give the boys teams at our club a run for their money. It’s an entirely pointless comparison because aren’t our competition. I’m only bothered how they compare to the other teams in our league/age group.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Billy Balfour

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:57 pm

ClaretinJapan wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:45 am
It's sort of on a par with Scottish football.
So you're comparing two sets of skirt wearers, fair enough. :lol: