Sack Dyche now

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Re: Sack Dyche now

Post by jedi_master » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:55 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:50 am
I would hope Pace put a relegation clause in Dyche's contract like the players have, when we get relegated surley his wage half's so in the summer get rid at half the compensation price and along with all the player's out of contract we rebuild a new team around the few players we keep with a new manager, they take a season to bed in and the season after that we go for promotion.

The alternative is we keep Dyche because we keep getting told "he's the man to get us out of the championship he's done it before" and then once we're back in the premier league the same old crap will repeat itself and we're back to square one again.

Dyche is a fantastic Championship manager but he's found his level, he doesn't work in the premier league.
As you yourself said - Dyche is a fantastic Championship manager (not to mention, one who got us automatically promoted in 13/14 with a far shitter squad full of free transfers he grabbed off the trash pile like Arfield) so why on Earth would we pot him?

The squad needs ripping up and binning en masse (barring a few obvious exceptions). I would trust the task of ‘starting again’ to Dyche every time.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:57 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:54 am
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha!

*That'si n the past, this is now*

hahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahaha!

WAKE THE **** UP
I'm still chuckling reading your post mate

Just for the benefit of doubt, you did say that Dyche can't do it in the premier league didn't you?

This is the same league that we've been in for six years, and have had Dyche as manager for that time?

Yeah?

I mean, that does rather suggest completely the opposite to normal people

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:59 am

Spijed wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:53 am
I'd say it's the first season it hasn't worked, as it has quite successfully for the previous five.
Okay we play a season in the championship come back up and we play the same boring 442 no plan b hoof ball way I'm the premier league again, you can't be seriously happy with this crap we've dished out for the past 18 months

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:01 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:59 am
Okay we play a season in the championship come back up and we play the same boring 442 no plan b hoof ball way I'm the premier league again, you can't be seriously happy with this crap we've dished out for the past 18 months
Genuinely, I’d be fine being a yo yo club.

One in two seasons is great fun. No issue with that from me.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:01 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:57 am
I'm still chuckling reading your post mate

Just for the benefit of doubt, you did say that Dyche can't do it in the premier league didn't you?

This is the same league that we've been in for six years, and have had Dyche as manager for that time?

Yeah?

I mean, that does rather suggest completely the opposite to normal people

Did you watch the game last night and hear the boo's at the end ringing around the ground

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:01 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:59 am
But that implies you were happy with the previous 4 and half years?

In the premier league?

With Sean Dyche as the manager?

This the same Sean Dyche who can't hack it in the premier league?

That one?
This user liked this post: taio

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:02 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:01 am
Did you watch the game last night and hear the boo's at the end ringing around the ground
So now its gone from six years to one game?

Mate, you really need to learn when to stop digging!

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:04 am

All I'll say is that we are going to look back on Sean Dyche as our greatest ever manager, and the past six years as our greatest ever modern achievement

I get that there is an age thing to that, but I suspect that the last six years will be the best most of us are going to see
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretPete001 evensteadiereddie

s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:05 am

We can't blame Dyche for everything !!!! It's practically the "same kind of football" that's kept us in the premiership for so long and nobody complained when we qualified for Europe.
The issue came when a host of players aged together and we had neither the money, inclination or attraction to replace them with what we required e.g. young, pacey, box to box, goal threat, quality players.
All ifs and buts but when we qualified for Europe that summer if we had added the likes of Cornet and 1-2 others, followed next window 1-2 others and who knows but we can't change that.
Hes providing the best he can with the tools he has in a environment that's always going to be a struggle for us. Nobody complained about lack of goals and style of play when we won the championship.
Dyche out is the easy bit we are in control of that bit but if the next in does not work then disaster. As per Coyle out and Laws in.
It's a difficult one but SD has been dealt a rough hand for me last 1-2 years and yes some of it might be his fault but certainly most of it hasn't.

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:08 am

jedi_master wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:01 am
Genuinely, I’d be fine being a yo yo club.

One in two seasons is great fun. No issue with that from me.
I'm not bothered at all being a yo yo club, but the football on offer to the fan's over the past 18 month's is a bloody joke regardless of what league we are in, I don't personally like the var run, cheating diving soft players Premier league I much prefer the championship, its not about the league we play in its about the entertainment and under Dyche it's sadly gone stale, he's slowly for me ruining his own brilliant achievements with this crap he's dishing up, this is my opinion and if those that don't like it must be easily pleased with what they watch each week

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:10 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:02 am
So now its gone from six years to one game?

Mate, you really need to learn when to stop digging!
Mate 1 win all season so far

Mate 1 win at home in 13 month's

Mate 8 wins in 18 month's

Open your eyes
This user liked this post: BLH_Claret

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:11 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:08 am
I'm not bothered at all being a yo yo club, but the football on offer to the fan's over the past 18 month's is a bloody joke regardless of what league we are in, I don't personally like the var run, cheating diving soft players Premier league I much prefer the championship, its not about the league we play in its about the entertainment and under Dyche it's sadly gone stale, he's slowly for me ruining his own brilliant achievements with this crap he's dishing up, this is my opinion and if those that don't like it must be easily pleased with what they watch each week
I think we played great football in both Championship promotion seasons under Dyche though, by and large. It wasn’t the same as it often is under him in the Prem where I think he has felt we need to play a more ‘industrial’ style to survive with the lot that we have.

What I’m saying is that I think he will get a lot of people (like yourself, hopefully) back on side with him a league lower where we don’t play as rough and ready and are much more of a mixed team.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:12 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:10 am
Mate 1 win all season so far

Mate 1 win at home in 13 month's

Mate 8 wins in 18 month's

Open your eyes
Sorry, still laughing at Dyche not being able to hack it in the premier league

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:18 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:12 am
Sorry, still laughing at Dyche not being able to hack it in the premier league
Remind me what league position are we in right NOW and please don't keep bringing up the past six seasons

taio
Been Liked: 3247 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:20 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:18 am
Remind me what league position are we in right NOW and please don't keep bringing up the past six seasons
It's entirely reasonable referring to the last six seasons when you say Dyche doesn't work in the PL.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:25 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:04 am
All I'll say is that we are going to look back on Sean Dyche as our greatest ever manager, and the past six years as our greatest ever modern achievement

I get that there is an age thing to that, but I suspect that the last six years will be the best most of us are going to see
Bold claim that. I don’t think we will see a road or a street named after him any time soon. Harry Potts will always be our greatest ever manager. No contest.

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:29 am

Okay to all those wanting to keep Dyche and the dross football style of never changing 442 plan A only football, how long does he get to keep living on past glories and keep his job
This user liked this post: BLH_Claret

taio

Post by taio » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:34 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:29 am
Okay to all those wanting to keep Dyche and the dross football style of never changing 442 plan A only football, how long does he get to keep living on past glories and keep his job
In my view he should be here next season irrespective of the league we are in. If we go down he deserves the chance to get us back up.

Would that be fair in your eyes?
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat evensteadiereddie

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1227 times

Post by Pickles » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:38 am

We've been total bobbins for ages.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:51 am

Jamesy wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:25 am
Bold claim that. I don’t think we will see a road or a street named after him any time soon. Harry Potts will always be our greatest ever manager. No contest.
Guess the fact I wrote "modern achievement" must have passed you by?

trawdenclaret
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by trawdenclaret » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:54 am

I don't care who is the manager with midfielders like Stephens, cork, Lennon, Westwood, Brownhill, Jbg we won't get promoted from the championship.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:01 am

Not one for suggesting SD out, but boy he has to be more accountable. The club revolves around him and I am afraid he has become stale and stubborn. Change needs to happen-we missed the boat again in transfers but we need to have some fresh ideas for each game. Coach players like McNeil to contribute more, and work on what he is good at on the touch line and delivering a variety of crosses in the channels. Its not difficult for 3 very well paid coaches.Same old, same old, with a belief "we have been here before", which he feels is a recipe to get out of trouble. Cannot honestly see who we can beat in our remaining games, and the Huddersfield cup game is a reminder of how good we would be in the Championship.Its not a case of "will we go down", but a case of which other two clubs will join us

Archer
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 146 times

Post by Archer » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:04 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:51 am
Guess the fact I wrote "modern achievement" must have passed you by?
All I'll say is that we are going to look back on Sean Dyche as our greatest ever manager

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:07 am

Archer wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:04 am
I'm sure you think that is a win mate, but if you actually quoted the full sentence, then it says what I said, not what you are implying it to mean

Archer
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 146 times

Post by Archer » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:16 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:07 am
I'm sure you think that is a win mate, but if you actually quoted the full sentence, then it says what I said, not what you are implying it to mean
I’m not saying I agree or disagree with you, but what you wrote was clear and then you got into a spat with someone who pointed it out.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:18 am

With his long contract SD would be too expensive to sack and as it is with the players, I doubt that we could attract a significantly/any better replacement; we'd have to either take a punt on some young/promising guy from the lower leagues, or some aging has been looking for a final job, neither of which would be a great choice for what remains of this season and beyond that, either we stay up and SD's flavour of the month again on here, or we're down in which case he's a good choice to win the Championship.
All that said, yesterday was a lottery rather than a day to judge anyone's performance/ability on; it would have been a good day to play one of the big-6 on when a nil-nil result would have been hailed a success

claret2018
Been Liked: 819 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:22 am

Dyche WAS a great manager but I think he’s lost his touch. It happens to loads of managers.

I think he’s past his expiry date for us.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:25 am

Archer wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:16 am
I’m not saying I agree or disagree with you, but what you wrote was clear and then you got into a spat with someone who pointed it out.
So you are not going to agree or disagree, but at the same time you decided to selectively cut and paste half of my reply?

When my post is quoted in full, its pretty clear that the take you have is wrong

I mean, its that simple

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:33 am

The only way we can be a strong contender in the Championship with SD as manager, would be to rediscover our ability to identify and sign key players. A combination of experience (but not in their twilight years) and young players. THats the bit that worries me as we have been appalling at signing players in the last 3 years. Barton & Gray were sublime signings when we last went up. We already had the experience of Heaton, Arfield, Jones,Mee,Keane and Ward and we had a front two in Gray & Vokes who were a handful. We would have to buy some good young players like Campbell of Stoke, and spend some cash on home grown players as I suspect the Championship is not enough to entice certain foreign players

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:36 am

We've lost the DNA that made Dyche successful here in the first place in my opinion.

I used to like the 442 when we worked hard, hit the line and got the ball into the box. But for some reason we aren't that team anymore. We still have personal that can play that way- McNeil is a good example because he symbolises everything I mean. He was the perfect winger to get down the line and get the ball in to the box, but now (even though he looks good on the ball) he has been reduced to someone half as effective. This team was never Barcelona but it was very effective and we just aren't anymore. That book stops with Dyche sadly.

No matter how you dress it up we look absolutley lost going forwards. WW may prove to be a good signing, but it wouldn't really have mattered if it was him, Wood, Barnes or Gifton up top, we just don't know how to break a team down- That's very worrying and there's no guarantee that we will suddenly figure it out in the championship.
This user liked this post: Enola Gay

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:36 am

The biggest frustration is that we are not trying anything different.
It's alarmingly obvious how weak we are in the centre of the park yet we choose to play with only two men in there each week. Dyche's reluctance to move away from the 4-4-2 is killing us.

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:37 am

taio wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:34 am
In my view he should be here next season irrespective of the league we are in. If we go down he deserves the chance to get us back up.

Would that be fair in your eyes?
The trouble with that is we win promotion back and we are then again stuck watching outdated football in the premier league that over the past 18 months doesn't clearly work, yes we've been in the premier league six season but for the last 18 months and will probably end up being the past 2 full season out of those 6 the football is hard to watch

taio

Post by taio » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:42 am

Conroy92 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:36 am
The biggest frustration is that we are not trying anything different.
It's alarmingly obvious how weak we are in the centre of the park yet we choose to play with only two men in there each week. Dyche's reluctance to move away from the 4-4-2 is killing us.
This is a fair enough criticism and a more balanced view. There is certainly a case for trying something different to a rigid 442.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:56 am

taio wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:42 am
This is a fair enough criticism and a more balanced view. There is certainly a case for trying something different to a rigid 442.
Then why are we 19 games in and our most technical player, who is quite clearly struggling and fed up out wide, is yet to be tried in the CAM role (which worked so extremely well during the season we finished 7th). Its also clear as day that Cornet is not a hold up back to goal striker yet he’s still persisting on being played there. It’s just ridiculous.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:03 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:42 am
It's one of the reasons why I can't say it's just the personnel at fault.
I thought with Weghorst and Cornet we had a good opportunity to have a go at a 4-5-1. 3 in the centre of the park with the two wide players, McNeil and Cornet, supporting the striker
On paper a back 5 of Pope, Roberts, Tarks, Mee and Taylor is better than most sides in the bottom half of the table. There's also an argument to be made that a front 3 of Cornet, Weghorst and McNeil appear to be as good as most others in the bottom half of the table.
Our centre midfielders would struggle to get in any of the sides in the bottom half though so in some respect this IS a personnel failure. That's why to me it's bizzare you would play two of them there and not 3.

..................Pope
Roberts, Tarks, Mee, Taylor
Brownhill, Westwood, Cork/Stephens
McNeil............................ Cornet
................Weghorst

I want to see this tried before I completely right the full squad off as being s****.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:06 pm

Love him or hate him right now the issue is people are making him bigger than the club. His tenure this last 18 month has been poor, the tatics and team selection are down to him. His biggest mistake for me was not allowing Tarks go for the 30 million (guess) offered, and using it to rebuild...to not sell him purely on the basis of we would have gone down makes no sense to me.
This user liked this post: ClaretMov

BurnleyBob
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by BurnleyBob » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:08 pm

This is a ridiculous thread. Burnley are over-achieving by being in the Premiership at all. In the normal scheme of things our resources suggest
us being a mid table Championship side. Sean Dyche has given Burnley fans something they could never have dreamed of and he should leave the club when he chooses to. Be careful what you wish for- I saw us lose to Maidstone and Aldershot in the 1980s- playing in the Championship is no disgrace.
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:21 pm

Not in the Dyche out camp, but if we go down, when it comes to contract renewals and future transfers in it has to be Pace’s decision not Dyche’s and if he doesn’t like it he can resign.

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 193 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:37 pm

Brilliant post Burnley bob 👏👏utc

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:41 pm

BurnleyBob wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:08 pm
This is a ridiculous thread. Burnley are over-achieving by being in the Premiership at all. In the normal scheme of things our resources suggest
us being a mid table Championship side. Sean Dyche has given Burnley fans something they could never have dreamed of and he should leave the club when he chooses to. Be careful what you wish for- I saw us lose to Maidstone and Aldershot in the 1980s- playing in the Championship is no disgrace.
Aye we were there at that bloody Orient game weren’t we Bob! These young whipper snappers haven’t seen anything.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:44 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:56 am
Then why are we 19 games in and our most technical player, who is quite clearly struggling and fed up out wide, is yet to be tried in the CAM role (which worked so extremely well during the season we finished 7th). Its also clear as day that Cornet is not a hold up back to goal striker yet he’s still persisting on being played there. It’s just ridiculous.
Cornet plays up top...

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:45 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:44 pm
Cornet plays up top...
Was referring to McNeil as our most technical player who can pick a pass.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1040 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:45 pm

Teams know how to play us and have done for a couple of seasons because we play one way and one way only. They simply set up with 3 central defenders and that's us absolutely stuffed, it really is that simple for our opposition now and it's laughable unfortunately

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:47 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:45 pm
Was referring to McNeil as our most technical player who can pick a pass.
Ah I see.
As regards the quoted post, you're wrong on both accounts..

DuckworthsEA
Been Liked: 45 times

Post by DuckworthsEA » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:47 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:29 am
Mate what manager would you sack Dyche for that provides you with style of football you crave to be ‘entertained’. And a if you could list a squad of players that will play that way too.

I think if you want to be entertained with ‘attractive’ football then you stand a better chance of going to watch a different team mate.

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:58 pm

The conditions yesterday were considered as part of the reason for the miserable performance by the team. The same players will have trained many times, in those conditions, at the exposed training ground, during Dyche's tenure. A fact I think should've been taken in regard to playing the ball on the ground and not hitting long ball passes. Our team are seasoned professionals and I'd expect they would understand those conditions and be able to adapt to them. Mee and Westwood made numerous short mis passes to Watford players, early on. We don't seem to have a natural leader on the pitch, shouting instructions and encouragement, unless it's a trend in the modern game.

Wood left stating, " he was in his comfort zone", when playing. Sadly I think a lot of the team seem like they play, as though they are. Knowing they've very little opposition for their place in the team.
Failing to score against teams around us, at the bottom of the league, has shown how weak we are, as an attacking team, but the system and style of play has not changed. The saying " if it's not broke, don't fix it". Well it's been broke for a long time and it's not being fixed.
I'm fast losing my love for the football team and the Club. The passion has been drained from me, by the style of poor football, I'm watching nowadays.
This user liked this post: Enola Gay

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:02 pm

Be careful what your wish for must be the most overused phrase on this messageboard.

How dare anyone hope for better. How dare we ask to be entertained occasionally, just be thankful that Sean Dyche can lift himself out of bed each week for a paltry £70k per week, get himself to Burnley and keep repeating the same trick even though it’s clearly not working.

Be careful what you wish for everybody.
These 3 users liked this post: ClaretMov Somethingfishy Turfytop

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:03 pm

DuckworthsEA wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:47 pm
Mate what manager would you sack Dyche for that provides you with style of football you crave to be ‘entertained’. And a if you could list a squad of players that will play that way too.

I think if you want to be entertained with ‘attractive’ football then you stand a better chance of going to watch a different team mate.
Okay will do.........sorry for having a real opinion on the dross we are watching, must be nice living in cloud cookoo land where you live

Shaggy
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Shaggy » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:06 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:04 am

Geezo man come on talk about exaggeration. he's won the championship and came runner up once in almost 10 years of management.

if you want some context we have lost more games than we have won under Dyche...

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:07 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:47 pm
Ah I see.
As regards the quoted post, you're wrong on both accounts..
McNeil is our most technical player, he’s just going through a period of low confidence in a rigid system surrounded by not very technical players.

Cornet is not a striker, doesn’t run the channels, struggles with his link up play in tight spaces. He’s more effective on the wing running at players with the play in front of him, using his intelligent movement to create good patterns of play.