Interesting Youtube Accounts

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5178 times

Interesting Youtube Accounts

Post by Rowls » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:57 pm

Know any interesting youtube accounts? There are channels out there which regularly put together content that matches or outstrips broadcast giants in terms of quality.

I haven't included a few of the more famous, obvious channels but here's a handful of my favourites that people might find interesting and informative.

Vihart
Posts videos based around maths and music, often with a philosophical twist. Sometimes combing these topics as a "mathemusician". She doesn't post a lot of videos anymore but there's always something interesting within them. She has a deliciously wry sense of humour. Occasionally her politics drift into these videos which I find a little off putting but it's mainly maths and music.
The "Twelve Tones" video is spectacular.

Glen and Friends Cooking
This is an awkward Canadian who knows a lot about cooking. I discovered this channel when I was trying to find a recipe to cook my own KFC and his series of videos on this subject are insanely gripping.
He's not the best presenter in terms of ease in front of the camera but he makes a lot of good recipes and is honest and knowledgable about his subject matter. The KFC series and the curing meat topics are the best.
Also makes good, short cocktail videos.

Captain Disillusion
This guy is annoying as hell but his videos are brilliant. They mainly debunk viral videos that purport to show incredible things by demonstrating how they are put together using video effects.
I wish he'd make these videos out of character but the information and intelligence he has makes them watchable anyway, despite the childishness. His best videos are the out of character analyses of special effects in his favourite movies.

colinfurze
Another guy who is irritating as hell yet watchable because of the interesting content. He undertakes spectacular engineering projects. The series about the bunker he constructed in his back garden is his best. He's currently constructing an underground tunnel to link the bunker to his house.

Erik Grankvist
A young Swedish guy who is building a cabin in a woods but who is doing so using no power tools. There's a whole host of Americans doing this but they're using chain saws and other power tools to achieve what they do. This Swedish lad, on the other hand, has real skill in his axemanship. There's no commentary in the videos - It's all pure observation.
They're ideal to unwind if you've had a hectic day.

Piece of French
A great "teach yourself French" channel suitable for intermediate learners.
French mornings with Elisa
Same as above. Not as informative but sexier.
This user liked this post: CombatClaret

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Re: Interesting Youtube Accounts

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:21 pm

Jon’s workshop.

My ex boss, great engineer. Who hides it well on some of his videos. It’s a guide to turning your garage into an engineering workshop.

The Wild times podcast.
Forrest Galantte, of extinct or alive fame. Weekly pod on animals around the world, rare, extinct, and crypto animals.plus it’s funny.
This user liked this post: Rowls

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:47 pm

Slyfer2812

He takes clips from films/TV shows and edits them into videos that more often than not will make you sit and think quite deeply about stuff.
This is one my favourite ones.
https://youtu.be/5kuBR7kPT1Y

He did one for Afterlife, before the last season, that Ricky Gervais liked and shared on twitter and that's worth a watch.
https://youtu.be/uYe9RsR0WIM

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:58 pm

I've come across Vihart....

Michael Franzese and Sammy the Bull Gravano both former mafia types have interesting Youtube channels if you are interested in how the American mafia became so powerful and in the end lost its power. Also includes former Mayor of New York Guilliani who played a big role in ending mafia control in NY.

A fairly random suggestion but quite interesting in historical terms

Also if you are into Prog music then the Sea of Tranquillity is quite interesting

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:02 pm

Bald and Bankrupt
Travel vlogger with great enthusiasm heads to some of the lesser trodden parts of the world with particular emphasis on the former Soviet States and what's left behind both in structures and legacy. A Russian speaker probably some of the most interesting stuff comes from striking up a conversation with locals about life now and in the past.

Wendover Productions
One of those "How X Works" where someone talks over stock footage, but one of the best. Started with an emphasis on Aviation but now covers lots of logistics, behind the scenes stuff. Very good video on why UK Rail Privatisation is a failure.

LockPickingLawyer
Something strangely relaxing about this calm-voiced American picking various locks and talking you through their design in short 3-4 minute videos. Very close to buying a set and learning, would be a great party trick and also very useful if you forget your keys.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:32 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:02 pm
Bald and Bankrupt
Travel vlogger with great enthusiasm heads to some of the lesser trodden parts of the world with particular emphasis on the former Soviet States and what's left behind both in structures and legacy. A Russian speaker probably some of the most interesting stuff comes from striking up a conversation with locals about life now and in the past.

Wendover Productions
One of those "How X Works" where someone talks over stock footage, but one of the best. Started with an emphasis on Aviation but now covers lots of logistics, behind the scenes stuff. Very good video on why UK Rail Privatisation is a failure.

LockPickingLawyer
Something strangely relaxing about this calm-voiced American picking various locks and talking you through their design in short 3-4 minute videos. Very close to buying a set and learning, would be a great party trick and also very useful if you forget your keys.

There should be a drinking game based around the amount of times he gets the word soviet in. Very interesting though as you say.

Masham Ale
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 294 times

Post by Masham Ale » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:43 pm

Ivan’s shed. Watching him thraping his Lotus 7 is brilliant

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:48 pm

High peak auto's.

Used car dealer reviews second hand cars.

Vice grip garage

Talented mechanic pretending to be an idiot, gets cars that haven't been started for years, going again and drives them home, sometimes up to 700 miles.

Salvage autos.

2 guys buy salvage and expertly repair them.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:54 pm

Sailing Nandji
Totally Awesome Fishing
Harold Baldr
My Self Reliance

Cubanforever
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Cubanforever » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:58 pm

The fish locker- sea fishing for all species and beach foraging and cooking often with his wife and young son.....very informative and well presented.....don't have to be into fishing to enjoy

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:09 pm

claretandy wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:48 pm
High peak auto's.

Used car dealer reviews second hand cars.

Vice grip garage

Talented mechanic pretending to be an idiot, gets cars that haven't been started for years, going again and drives them home, sometimes up to 700 miles.

Salvage autos.

2 guys buy salvage and expertly repair them.
The Salvage one, is it Salvage rebuilds UK?

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:29 pm

Oh and another great one I forgot..Mustie 1.

Venkys4eva
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by Venkys4eva » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:39 pm

This guy is amazing! If you like wild camping or building a pub in your shed he's the guy

https://youtube.com/channel/UCotAaGWMZeAJ5Mj_pCj94CQ

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:52 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:09 pm
The Salvage one, is it Salvage rebuilds UK?
Yeah , couldn't think of the name, Rob and Chris.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:59 pm

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:31 pm

If you watch Youtube to relax I can suggest the 'in cab' train videos and similar ones in buses or trams. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lLAMwR0HPw&t=162s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXVAALcLmOA

Or if you want to relax even more, why not go on the Norwegian boat ride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dQJtGgD4Z0

It's only eleven hours!

KLClaret
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by KLClaret » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:42 pm

Haze Outdoors for the outdoor posters

Spiral
Been Liked: 2523 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:53 pm

Hipper wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:31 pm
If you watch Youtube to relax I can suggest the 'in cab' train videos and similar ones in buses or trams. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lLAMwR0HPw&t=162s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXVAALcLmOA

Or if you want to relax even more, why not go on the Norwegian boat ride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dQJtGgD4Z0

It's only eleven hours!
This kind of stuff is really popular in Norway. It's recognised as a distinct genre, and they have a name for it, Slow TV. (edit-just seen it labelled as such in the third link). I'd love to see some high-production-value stuff like this over here. Obviously BBC Two isn't going to do a marathon four-hour broadcast, but some high quality aerial/drone/steady-cam footage of, say, sailing down the Thames, to use a corny example, with professional sound mixing etc would be brilliant. On a similar note, watched a mesmerising silent documentary on the great wall of China a few years ago on BBC (A Slow Odyssey: The Great Wall Of China). No narrator, just a few snippets of information popping up on screen over aerial footage of parts of the great wall, east to west. So much TV is downright over-stimulating. This kind of meditative content is genuinely calming.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2523 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:03 pm

By the way, was watching the Vihart (mentioned by Rowls) series on the fibonacci sequence around about the time when creating my account on here. Couldn't think of a name, went with spiral. Boring little bit of username lore!

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1188 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:17 pm

Deranged reptile & amphibian feedings are interesting with the giant Vietnamese centipedes & (other species) & snapping turtles with the prey that’s taken down, I wouldn’t like to get bitten by either.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:23 pm

Vsauce;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6nSFp ... t-N3Rm3-HA

He answers, or not, whether we'll ever run out of music, is cereal soup, do chairs exist, did the past ever happen and other such mind bending questions in such a way that leads you to think you've understood what he's said, but after the video ends you realise you can't actually remember watching it.
This user liked this post: morpheus2

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:25 pm

Post10

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsCNU- ... GNQ/videos

A fella unclogs culverts... thats it. Can watch him for hours, especially before bed.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1509 times
Has Liked: 582 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:51 pm

Spiral wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:53 pm
This kind of stuff is really popular in Norway. It's recognised as a distinct genre, and they have a name for it, Slow TV. (edit-just seen it labelled as such in the third link). I'd love to see some high-production-value stuff like this over here. Obviously BBC Two isn't going to do a marathon four-hour broadcast, but some high quality aerial/drone/steady-cam footage of, say, sailing down the Thames, to use a corny example, with professional sound mixing etc would be brilliant. On a similar note, watched a mesmerising silent documentary on the great wall of China a few years ago on BBC (A Slow Odyssey: The Great Wall Of China). No narrator, just a few snippets of information popping up on screen over aerial footage of parts of the great wall, east to west. So much TV is downright over-stimulating. This kind of meditative content is genuinely calming.
BBC Four did try this a few years back - https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2015/ ... ce-slow-tv - I remember finding the barge trip really calming and relaxing. It’s a shame they didn’t carry it on seemingly. I think long Norwegian train videos are also on Netflix (or at least they used to be).

morpheus2
Been Liked: 762 times
Has Liked: 1855 times

Post by morpheus2 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:29 pm

The Critical Drinker - Film critic, very amusing - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... al+drinker

Pixelated Apollo - Gamer, huge battles, very scary -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP0Lhve ... atedApollo

Screen Rant Pitch Meetings - Super easy, barely an inconvenience - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG6jJp0 ... ScreenRant

RattyClaret
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by RattyClaret » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:44 am

I’ll second critical drinker he’s also a published author called Will Jordan

https://www.goodreads.com/series/97916-ryan-drake

Also recommend

AvE - Canadian machinist/tool reviewer

Alex Steele - blacksmith from Norfolk

Count Dankula - prob not everyone’s cup of tea but his mad lads series is great if you like stories about interesting people from history

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:25 am

Isn't Dankula the one who got in trouble for teaching his dog the nazi salute or something like that?

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:31 am

claretandy wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:52 pm
Yeah , couldn't think of the name, Rob and Chris.
Salvage Rebuilds is great. I started watching it when he bought the Ferrari and did that up. I'm not even particularly interested in cars, but I find it all interesting. Rob has just bought himself a Lamborghini, no doubt assisted by the youtube revenue, fair play to them.

I Don't Eat Worms
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by I Don't Eat Worms » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:31 am

Someone above mentioned Wendover Productions, who are great. Thoroughly recommend their other channel "Half as Interesting", which are 5-6 minute versions of the same type of content, but shorter and with more cheesy jokes

"History Matters" is another great channel - really short (3-4 mins) animated bits about various historical events that give a good overview of what happened with some humour in there

For football, I think "Tifo" are excellent (as long as you don't mind Athletic ads); JJ has been a brilliant addition. They cover Burnley every so often and are generally complimentary (as they actually know what they're talking about). They have 2nd channel "Tifo IRL" which is also very good

Lastly, I started watching "Super GT" as I do a bit of go-karting, and his videos are a really interesting watch if you're into that. His main stuff is Gran Turismo videos, with the go karting stuff every couple of weeks which you'll find if you sift through

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:33 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:51 pm
BBC Four did try this a few years back - https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2015/ ... ce-slow-tv - I remember finding the barge trip really calming and relaxing. It’s a shame they didn’t carry it on seemingly. I think long Norwegian train videos are also on Netflix (or at least they used to be).
The BBC have done a number of these as well as the barge trip. There was one on a bus touring Yorkshire, one in New Zealand with train, ship and Land Rover covering both islands, 'The Ghan' (an Australian train service), and a couple of arctic ones following people herding Reindeer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Four_Goes_Slow