Russia Invades

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Re: Russia Invades

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:22 pm

Worth mentioning I think that we've been absolutely shameful in our attitude to Ukrainian refugees

I hope this changes
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Cubanforever
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Cubanforever » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:37 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:22 pm
Worth mentioning I think that we've been absolutely shameful in our attitude to Ukrainian refugees

I hope this changes
Just seen that, shameful.....we've only allowed 50 in through the new measures

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:39 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:19 pm
Imagine living in Russia right now - disconnected from the flab all internet, social media blocked, cards not working…

The older Russians may accept it but I very much doubt the young will - they’ll be off.
Be off where???

No airlines flying anywhere.

You can catch a train to Finland but only if you were working in the EU before.

They are trapped in a Russia for the time being.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1301 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:46 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:

I hope this changes
Agreed, absolutely dreadful. EU let’s in over one million and we let in 50. Embarrassing.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2013 times
Has Liked: 2913 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:47 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Imagine living in Russia right now - disconnected from the flab all internet, social media blocked, cards not working…

The older Russians may accept it but I very much doubt the young will - they’ll be off.
Coca-Cola pulling out - as someone mentioned earlier, they just need to get rid of McDonalds now and they’ll be the healthiest nation on earth.

But jokes aside - There has not been one spare seat on a Finish bound train since the war began, as Russians vote with their feet. The FSB guy I’ve been quoting (as has Jarrow) came from a higher decorated former soldier turned university lecturer and the translation given by the American Racing driver - Came via a retweet by Dr. Peter Caddick-Adams. The main Jen is that Russia is completely screwed, none is talking to their own logistic dept and the plan he drew up had a mythical domination of Ukraine by June…. He ends by saying the war will have to end by June, as by then Russia will be pot-less in every conceivable way.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11057 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:48 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Think that’s the plan :lol: :lol:
absolutely it is but that might make him worse !

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:48 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:

I hope this changes
Maybe because the public have had their empathy tested seeing the 85% men aged 18 - 30 turning up at Dover giving it the thumbs up 👍 as they flee "war torn France" at a cost to the taxpayer of £5 million per week .

Then you see REAL refugees , mainly elderly, women , children and babes in arms , crying heartbroken and saying goodbye to their fathers , husbands and brothers. So it's understandable that the gear change required to adjust to GENUINE evacuees is taking a little adjustment.

So instead of trying to score cheap political points in a time of a global crisis, accept that Great Britain and its people , will do what's its always done and welcome and provide shelter to those needing it most and show little regard to chancers , and freeloaders attempting to take advantage of this country's natural humanity.
This user liked this post: Top Claret

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:49 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:47 pm
Coca-Cola pulling out - as someone mentioned earlier, they just need to get rid of McDonalds now and they’ll be the healthiest nation on earth.

But jokes aside - There has not been one spare seat on a Finish bound train since the war began, as Russians vote with their feet. The FSB guy I’ve been quoting (as has Jarrow) came from a higher decorated former soldier turned university lecturer and the translation given by the American Racing driver - Came via a retweet by Dr. Peter Caddick-Adams. The main Jen is that Russia is completely screwed, none is talking to their own logistic dept and the plan he drew up had a mythical domination of Ukraine by June…. He ends by saying the war will have to end by June, as by then Russia will be pot-less in every conceivable way.
do you have a link to the FSB guy please ?

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:51 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:11 pm
This is a long one… analysis of the Russia by a serving FSB analyst, Igor Sushko

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1 ... 99937?s=21
Hear you go Vegas.. its 2000 words long but unless some pretty clever people have been taken in… seems legitimate.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:54 pm

It’s also worth noting the French giving it to us about the refugees whilst their leader is having regular 90 minute chats with the psychopath and coming out and shrugging his shoulders saying it will get worse….thanks Macron great job. I think the French were a bit slower out of the blocks in terms of agreeing the sanctions and providing ammo etc than us too but they just love a chance to stick the knife in.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:58 pm

Cirrus_Minor wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:46 pm
Agreed, absolutely dreadful. EU let’s in over one million and we let in 50. Embarrassing.
A couple of weeks ago Germany refused to give permission to allow, potentially, life saving flights through its air space, to the Ukraine, to the RAF.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:06 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:51 pm
Hear you go Vegas.. its 2000 words long but unless some pretty clever people have been taken in… seems legitimate.
very damning for sure (hopefully it's accurate)

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:10 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:58 pm
A couple of weeks ago Germany refused to give permission to allow, potentially, life saving flights through its air space, to the Ukraine, to the RAF.
Not often this happens, but quite right regarding pre-war, however to balance since then they have ALL put us to shame. There is no harm in offering temporary residencies due to the emergency.

However it also has to noted that the Conservatives are between a rock and aa hard place. Open up to Ukrainians they immediately face charges of double-standards and racism. Keep them closed they look cold and uncaring.

Best to speed up the pain of increasing sanctions… even with all the potential skeletons it uncovers, and the potential meltdown of London’s gravy train.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:13 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:51 pm
I read all of that. Hard for me to believe it’s real, but if it is it sounds like an absolute farce of a situation.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:19 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:39 pm
Be off where???

No airlines flying anywhere.

You can catch a train to Finland but only if you were working in the EU before.

They are trapped in a Russia for the time being.
Presumably you can get to Finland and then out?

My point was more that they’ll be applying for visas and seeking work abroad. In many respects the EU should allow it - seeing his citizens deserting his country would be the ultimate humiliation.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:21 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:13 pm
I read all of that. Hard for me to believe it’s real, but if it is it sounds like an absolute farce of a situation.
when you see some of the people who have re-tweeted it it would make no sense for them to do so if they didn't think it was for the most part accurate.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:22 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:13 pm
Like I said, it came from a decent source to me, that is why I was confident about relaying it. Whatever I post is from careful sources (even when they don’t show… its because I’ve read into the full document before posting). For example, my other half loves Tony Robinson - i read him but he demonstrates his ‘amateur historian’ enthusiasm far to often for me to risk retweeting any of his sources. I only quote news agencies (mostly Reuters, and things tweeted by Drs. Of related subjects. So though it sounds fantastic… too good to be true. On balance, due to the level of source (into me) I put it up.
This user liked this post: Spiral

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:26 pm

You've been on-point with the sourcing, elwa, it's much appreciated! I'd never have stumbled on these accounts.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:29 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:10 pm
Not often this happens, but quite right regarding pre-war, however to balance since then they have ALL put us to shame. There is no harm in offering temporary residencies due to the emergency.

However it also has to noted that the Conservatives are between a rock and aa hard place. Open up to Ukrainians they immediately face charges of double-standards and racism. Keep them closed they look cold and uncaring.

Best to speed up the pain of increasing sanctions… even with all the potential skeletons it uncovers, and the potential meltdown of London’s gravy train.
Sod the skeletons !

Fair enough I agree with the general point you're making to be honest. The only point I'd differ on in is the potential accusation of "double-standards and racism.".

Surely , if the UK Government fast tracked Ukrainian evacuees, could anybody, hand on heart , argue that these majority, frightened, terrified elderly, infirm, women , mothers babies and children. As opposed to stopping what appear to be vast vast majority of healthy, mainly men, aged 18 = 30, of fighting age arriving at Dover on a daily basis fleeing "war, famine and persecution" in Calais . There'd be very few complaints from most right minded people?

Doubt it.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:34 pm

Give it a f.ucking rest before the thread gets pulled. Using this thread to make a point about channel crossings. Bloody joke. Keep it to yourself.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:37 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:26 pm
You've been on-point with the sourcing, elwa, it's much appreciated! I'd never have stumbled on these accounts.
Thank you Spiral, appreciate that, its the depth of the war on this thread that is awesome - we have the Arms experts, and you can always spot the historians for their raft of seemingly side events that all knit into the bigger web of what’s going on; each strand playing a part.

What a resource this thread is going to be as well… this should be (hopefully) a day by day, blow by blow largely well sourced record of events of a major European conflict. There’s a good BA’s worth on here for any future historians.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:40 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:34 pm
Give it a f.ucking rest before the thread gets pulled.
Why? For simply saying what the vast vast vast majority of fair and right minded people with eyes in their head are seeing, saying and thinking?

Why don't you wind your neck in and "Give it a f.ucking rest" and let the grown ups have an adult conversation.

Anyway.....

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:40 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:34 pm
Give it a f.ucking rest before the thread gets pulled. Using this thread to make a point about channel crossings. Bloody joke. Keep it to yourself.
Why? For simply saying what the vast vast vast majority of fair and right minded people with eyes in their head are seeing, saying and thinking?

Why don't you wind your neck in and "Give it a f.ucking rest" and let the grown ups have an adult conversation.

Anyway.....

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:43 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:37 pm
Thank you Spiral, appreciate that, its the depth of the war on this thread that is awesome - we have the Arms experts, and you can always spot the historians for their raft of seemingly side events that all knit into the bigger web of what’s going on; each strand playing a part.

What a resource this thread is going to be as well… this should be (hopefully) a day by day, blow by blow largely well sourced record of events of a major European conflict. There’s a good BA’s worth on here for any future historians.
You think of Thucydides travelling around Greece interviewing as many people as he can to create an account of history. Now with social media we're all Thucydides!!!
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:45 pm

Just go away Ringo. You're one-note. Nobody appreciates you posting on this thread.
This user liked this post: Swizzlestick

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:46 pm

Sorry for engaging, everyone. I'm going to ignore him.
These 2 users liked this post: elwaclaret Greenmile

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:53 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:29 pm
Sod the skeletons !

Fair enough I agree with the general point you're making to be honest. The only point I'd differ on in is the potential accusation of "double-standards and racism.".

Surely , if the UK Government fast tracked Ukrainian evacuees, could anybody, hand on heart , argue that these majority, frightened, terrified elderly, infirm, women , mothers babies and children. As opposed to stopping what appear to be vast vast majority of healthy, mainly men, aged 18 = 30, of fighting age arriving at Dover on a daily basis fleeing "war, famine and persecution" in Calais . There'd be very few complaints from most right minded people?

Doubt it.
Not my accusation against them - but we’ve paid millions keeping evacuees out, from various war-zones but the Ukrainians are just like us…. I can hear the criticism as I type. On the other hand; there’s even an argument why would anyone want to travel across Europe rather than stay close to relations still in Ukraine. But I think we have to be seen to be offering more, in fact we have to be doing more asap on a lot of fronts. The speeding up of legislation on Sanctions has come only just in time - the permanent change they were going for would be a major re-drafting of legislation, and at least four readings before it became law (2 houses - Law lords - crown) - what we need is an emergency act with a handshake between Johnson and Starmer.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:57 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:45 pm
Just go away Ringo. You're one-note. Nobody appreciates you posting on this thread.
The temptation , that I'll resist, would be to say "just go away Spiral" . However, I'll just let you waffle on and see if you can do what you managed to do previously.

Which was. Attempt to lecture me on spelling and grammar. Then come out with the memorable classic " Ringo reads the Sun's colon"

Then, when I point our the glaring error , you're feeble attempt at writing it off as an "artful pun" was a hilariously pitiful laugh out loud moment.

So you stick around Spiral. Please.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:05 am

elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:53 pm
Not my accusation against them - but we’ve paid millions keeping evacuees out, from various war-zones but the Ukrainians are just like us…. I can hear the criticism as I type. On the other hand; there’s even an argument why would anyone want to travel across Europe rather than stay close to relations still in Ukraine. But I think we have to be seen to be offering more, in fact we have to be doing more asap on a lot of fronts. The speeding up of legislation on Sanctions has come only just in time - the permanent change they were going for would be a major re-drafting of legislation, and at least four readings before it became law (2 houses - Law lords - crown) - what we need is an emergency act with a handshake between Johnson and Starmer.
Honestly , don't disagree with a word you've said.

The Government brought in emergency legislation, virtually overnight, to curfew this country , (lockdown)based on what has been admitted to have been no more than guess work. So why can't the same Government circumvent the usual processes and simply do the right thing for those GENUINELY fleeing carnage?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:11 am

Some people simply cannot handle The Truth.

Good night y"all 🌞

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:11 am

Finally tonight. Please lets not bicker, we have plenty of threads for that. I and have noticed others are willing to discuss more or less anything but wind ups really does everyone with a genuine interest a disturbance. I will finish this by saying I’ve been very impressed by both our political leaderships, so far as this it concerned… long may it continue that they listen to each other. Let’s do the same… keep it clean. Please.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:12 am

elwaclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:11 am
Finally tonight. Please lets not bicker, we have plenty of threads for that. I and have noticed others are willing to discuss more or less anything but wind ups really does everyone with a genuine interest a disturbance. I will finish this by saying I’ve been very impressed by both our political leaderships, so far as this it concerned… long may it continue that they listen to each other. Let’s do the same… keep it clean. Please.
Fair enough 👌

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:12 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:05 am
Honestly , don't disagree with a word you've said.

The Government brought in emergency legislation, virtually overnight, to curfew this country , (lockdown)based on what has been admitted to have been no more than guess work. So why can't the same Government circumvent the usual processes and simply do the right thing for those GENUINELY fleeing carnage?
Just stop trying to get this thread closed.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:15 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:12 am
Just stop trying to get this thread closed.
Apologies. Forgot. That's your job.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:21 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:15 am
Apologies. Forgot. That's your job.
Yep and I apologised and pleaded for the others not to be punished because I am an idiot. Which thankfully was I guess accepted and it was reopened.
Not sure you would do the same.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 862 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:21 am

This is a good thread with some quite informed posters on. Let’s keep it open.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:24 am

Chief economist of the Institute of International Finance, the trade group/association of the global financial services industry, predicts a 15% contraction of Russian's economy in 2022, twice what Russia experienced during the 08/09 global financial crisis.

https://twitter.com/RobinBrooksIIF/stat ... 9573498884

There's no way this doesn't have severe political ramifications in Russia.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:40 am

I can't possibly imagine this at all
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-03-06 4.36.47 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-03-06 4.36.47 PM.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2483 times

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:03 am

as Michael says, watch the whole thing. If that is scripted he deserves an Oscar
https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/statu ... 2da3qFIOaQ

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:25 am

Interesting thread, worth the read imho
https://twitter.com/maxbergmann/status/ ... RFwlACjQ5g

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:28 am

Spiral wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:43 pm
You think of Thucydides travelling around Greece interviewing as many people as he can to create an account of history. Now with social media we're all Thucydides!!!
What a line this is

Fantastic work Spiral

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:39 am

Anyone know if there is anywhere locally or online where you can give a cash donation to give a little help to the Ukranian people.
Its heartbreaking to see these women and kids fleeing there country and having to leave loved ones behind.

walter the softy
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by walter the softy » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:14 am

The Enclosure wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:39 am
Anyone know if there is anywhere locally or online where you can give a cash donation to give a little help to the Ukranian people.
Its heartbreaking to see these women and kids fleeing there country and having to leave loved ones behind.
Yes, it really is heartbreaking.

I asked a Ukrainian friend of mine who is in the west of the country what people need and how people can help from outside. He wrote to me that he would recommend money going here.

https://www.comebackalive.in.ua/

Since then, I have heard the same thing from other people with family ties to Ukraine and I am minded to listen to people who are directly affected by this awful attack.
These 3 users liked this post: The Enclosure elwaclaret KateR

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:19 am

elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:24 pm
500lb bombs dropped on residential area. One that failed to explode…

https://twitter.com/piperdewn/status/15 ... 95681?s=21
The Starfighter - shown in the link. Reminds me of a German joke.

What's the best way to acquire a Starfighter? Buy a small plot of land.

(This is because the Luftwaffe's Starfighters had a reputation for falling out of the sky.)

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:37 am

Some excellent posts from Ringo with the usual response from the wets who make up the majority on this board.

Well done Ringo
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

Willieonthewing
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Willieonthewing » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:47 am

Top Claret wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:37 am
Some excellent posts from Ringo with the usual response from the wets who make up the majority on this board.

Well done Ringo
I get the impression that some people just look at the username, and take offence, without actually reading what has been said
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5087 times
Has Liked: 6902 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:57 am

BBC News - Ukraine conflict: Oil price soars to highest level since 2008
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60642786
The phrase exploring regarding a ban on Russian oil is either a discreet threat to pressurise Russia more or dithering.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:28 am

bfcjg wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:57 am
BBC News - Ukraine conflict: Oil price soars to highest level since 2008
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60642786
The phrase exploring regarding a ban on Russian oil is either a discreet threat to pressurise Russia more or dithering.
The reason we have this conflict is because of the EUs reliance on Russian energy and a weak POTUS

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:31 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:

I hope this changes
I said it a week ago or so that they've really failed to read the room on this one. With the exception of a few xenophobes it's hard to imagine people having an issue with a more open policy for Ukrainian refugees. Some of the comments from MPs on the issue have been disgraceful showing an absolute lack of empathy. The constant questions around it and slow revisions just seems a pointless thing to waste time on at the moment.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5087 times
Has Liked: 6902 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:43 am

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/de ... d=msedgdhp
Will these be deployed or is it another bit of pressure being put on Russia. Not sure how the details of wars work but I am sure NATO military have contact with Russian military by passing politicians especially in Russia and they will be worried that they will have no armour left if these planes join the conflict, perhaps they will be reassuring the Russian generals that if they withdraw and overthrow Putin they will be supported by the West, who knows.