If we went down, who do you think stays?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5214 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Re: If we went down, who do you think stays?

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:36 pm

Rowls wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:45 pm
I think Devil's Advocate, PadihamThickNeck and a few others would be off if we got relegated.
The seeming return of fun time Frankie will compensate, providing he manages to last that long this time

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:00 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:02 pm
4 years is an awful long time in football, back then Charlie Austin and Dwight Gayle were lethal goalscorers.
Dwight Gayle?
He's only had 2 lethal seasons in his professional career.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:05 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:00 pm
Dwight Gayle?
He's only had 2 lethal seasons in his professional career.
Aye and one of them was 4 years ago in the Championship.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:26 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:05 pm
Aye and one of them was 4 years ago in the Championship.
Probably and he's been massively over hyped for some strange reason.
Never understood that tbh

BERNIEU
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by BERNIEU » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:29 pm

Rowls wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:45 pm
I think Devil's Advocate, PadihamThickNeck and a few others would be off if we got relegated.
That's worthy of us going down by itself.

Middle-agedClaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 1121 times

Post by Middle-agedClaret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:34 pm

The genuine fans - as always.

claretandbluesky
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by claretandbluesky » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:44 pm

Think Mancini might be making a challenge in midfield.

If SD leaves which I fancy would happen, if not immediately then before the year is out, would expect big changes and a lot of wheeler dealing.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:47 pm

The OOC players first, the following will likely walk, Bardsley, Stephens, Tarks, Vydra.

Barnes, Cork & Mee all have 1 year options, so there's every chance all 3 will still be here next season, Barnes I'm meh about, but Cork and especially Mee could be vital cogs in the Championship, just look at the impact both have had in our recent games.

That leaves Jay Rod, Lennon & Pieters, if all 3 agree to substantial wage cuts I'd consider retaining them.

Cornet will almost certainly leave, McNeil. Pope & Taylor might also attract interest, as might Brownhill to the surprise of many.

Hennessey
Roberts Collins Mee Pieters
Lennon Brownhill New new
Weghorst new

I'd hope we can pick up a few decent frees, Swift and Wallace would be ideal, and perhaps the likes of Helm & Richardson will make the bench, and hopefully feature in some games.

That defence will be strong in the Champ, so it's just a case of improving our midfield, and if Wout gets decent service he'll bag loads in the Champ.

BERNIEU

Post by BERNIEU » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:49 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:47 pm
The OOC players first, the following will likely walk, Bardsley, Stephens, Tarks, Vydra.

Barnes, Cork & Mee all have 1 year options, so there's every chance all 3 will still be here next season, Barnes I'm meh about, but Cork and especially Mee could be vital cogs in the Championship, just look at the impact both have had in our recent games.

That leaves Jay Rod, Lennon & Pieters, if all 3 agree to substantial wage cuts I'd consider retaining them.

Cornet will almost certainly leave, McNeil. Pope & Taylor might also attract interest, as might Brownhill to the surprise of many.

Hennessey
Roberts Collins Mee Pieters
Lennon Brownhill New new
Weghorst new

I'd hope we can pick up a few decent frees, Swift and Wallace would be ideal, and perhaps the likes of Helm & Richardson will make the bench, and hopefully feature in some games.

That defence will be strong in the Champ, so it's just a case of improving our midfield, and if Wout gets decent service he'll bag loads in the Champ.
I don't think Mee has a 1-year option?

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:05 pm

BERNIEU wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:49 pm
I don't think Mee has a 1-year option?
According to transfermarkt he does, and they're usually a reliable source.

I'd be concerned if we lost both Mee and Tarks, yes Collins is promising, but he's still raw, and if we had to bed in another CB alongside him, or even play Long or Thomas, I fear that could hinder us in the early weeks of the season, and it's vital we hit the ground running, even in a 46 game season every point will be precious.

BERNIEU

Post by BERNIEU » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:13 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:05 pm

I'd be concerned if we lost both Mee and Tarks, yes Collins is promising, but he's still raw, and if we had to bed in another CB alongside him, or even play Long or Thomas, I fear that could hinder us in the early weeks of the season, and it's vital we hit the ground running, even in a 46 game season every point will be precious.
I really hope you're right mate, I really do. Could anybody such as Tony comment?

There were big concerns about whether Mee would sign a new contract, which I don't think would happen if we had that option as it would be next season when people were panicking.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1706 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:52 pm

We can speculate as much as we like, and talk about the merits of retaining all those OOC in June. However its all academic. A few weeks ago, when challenged on the OOC players SD simply said "it was in the hands of the owners, and those players needed to justify a contract renewal". With the best will in the world, anyone in their 30's who had played only a handful of games in the last 12-24 monthsalmost certainly going to be let go. Expect quite a few exits based on this years performances and games. WE are more likely to see young players being back ups for the likes of Taylor, and one of the CH spots, so players like Bardsley, Long, and Piters could all go. I think Mee will stay regardless and renew, but I would expect if he goes to sign an experienced CH. I would also expect two new experienced CM's and two experienced strikers , with the Continent being scouted

BERNIEU

Post by BERNIEU » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:56 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:52 pm
We can speculate as much as we like, and talk about the merits of retaining all those OOC in June. However its all academic. A few weeks ago, when challenged on the OOC players SD simply said "it was in the hands of the owners, and those players needed to justify a contract renewal". With the best will in the world, anyone in their 30's who had played only a handful of games in the last 12-24 monthsalmost certainly going to be let go. Expect quite a few exits based on this years performances and games. WE are more likely to see young players being back ups for the likes of Taylor, and one of the CH spots, so players like Bardsley, Long, and Piters could all go. I think Mee will stay regardless and renew, but I would expect if he goes to sign an experienced CH. I would also expect two new experienced CM's and two experienced strikers , with the Continent being scouted
This is the entire point of the thread - to speculate.

It's literally why I created the thread. So that if we went down, for people to speculate who we bought, sold etc.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:44 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:05 pm

Transfermarkt is wrong. Mee is out of contract this year.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:40 am

Most of The players out of contract one or two might resign plus Pope, McNeil and Cornet who I've been told has a 20 million release clause if relegated

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1220 times
Has Liked: 7211 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:54 am

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:46 pm
Hopefully keep our team together for at least one season. Especially as MC and WW came this year, hopefully they won’t move just yet.
Starting 11 something like:
Pope
Roberts Collins Mee Taylor
Lennon brownhill Cork McNeil
Cornet WW

Obviously we’d be looking to bring in another winger and another centre midfielder in the market as well. I genuinely believe that team wins the championship. Does it beat that current Fulham side - IMO yes.
If we had that team in the Championship, we'd win it again.

buzzclarets79
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by buzzclarets79 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:17 am

We are in the situation we are in now through doing this...keep offering the same old players new deals. A clear out is long over due.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1576 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:29 am

Quicknick wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:54 am
If we had that team in the Championship, we'd win it again.
Would we?

The championship is a lot stronger than people give it credit.

As Huddersfield showed earlier this season and Bournemouth last.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:38 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:29 am
Would we?

To be fair one off cup games aren’t really a good indication, particularly under Dyche. Take for example Boreham Wood knocking out likely 2nd place finishers Bournemouth a few weeks ago. I think the team he posted above is arguably stronger than the one we won the league with last time and ended up half a season unbeaten. A few good signings would be required though.

Quicknick

Post by Quicknick » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:49 am

RVclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:38 am
To be fair one off cup games aren’t really a good indication, particularly under Dyche. Take for example Boreham Wood knocking out likely 2nd place finishers Bournemouth a few weeks ago. I think the team he posted above is arguably stronger than the one we won the league with last time and ended up half a season unbeaten. A few good signings would be required though.
I agree with RVClaret. Cup games are one-offs. I think the main point is that, however I'd like us to be able to field a team as good as that one in the Championship should be go down, we won't be able to.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:51 am

RVclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:38 am
I agree they are on off games but the quality on display highlighted that the championship is not going to be a walk in the park.

Huddersfield are a play off team and they showed that some good quality as did Bournemouth the season before.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:51 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:29 am
Would we?

The Championship is utter, utter crap. Fulham running away with it this year who weren't even close being competitive with us last season. Last season Norwich ran away with it and they aren't really competitive with us this year even though we've barely won a game.

Quicknick

Post by Quicknick » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:52 am

I think the standard of the Championship has gone down since we won it.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:56 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:51 am
I agree they are on off games but the quality on display highlighted that the championship is not going to be a walk in the park.

Huddersfield are a play off team and they showed that some good quality as did Bournemouth the season before.
There is always good quality, think to Brighton the year we went up who finished 3rd, they were a good side, Knockaert was great that year. That league is about consistency over a season though and Dyche teams have been very good at that in general. Also Fulham have walked that league this year with Mitrovic breaking records yet he couldn’t score in the Prem last year!

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:57 am

The best 'proof' of how good the Championship is - Norwich and Fulham keep struggling in the Prem but winning promotion again. Fulham V Blackburn was Men v Boys on Saturday.

If we go down but manage to keep hold of the majority of our players (I think we would) and add 3 or 4 solid additions I think we would be very strong at that level.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:58 am

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:51 am
The Championship is utter, utter crap. Fulham running away with it this year who weren't even close being competitive with us last season. Last season Norwich ran away with it and they aren't really competitive with us this year even though we've barely won a game.
I suspect you think we are going to run away with the championship next season then? I think the championship is massively underrated.

Fulham and Norwich are good examples but what about other clubs that went down? Loads of teams struggle when they go down. I suspect our biggest problem will be the number of players out of contract and the average age of the squad. As we have seen over the recent weeks our squad struggles playing twice a week, that happens all the time in the championship.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:59 am

I think people are optimistic if they think we'll hang on to Pope in the event of relegation. He's a quality goalkeeper and will almost certainly have suitors. No chance we'll keep him, IMO.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:01 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:58 am
I suspect you think we are going to run away with the championship next season then? I think the championship is massively underrated.

Fulham and Norwich are good examples but what about other clubs that went down? Loads of teams struggle when they go down. I suspect our biggest problem will be the number of players out of contract and the average age of the squad. As we have seen over the recent weeks our squad struggles playing twice a week, that happens all the time in the championship.
The clubs that go down and struggle do so because they've got the manager wrong. If we're in the Championship next season with Dyche in charge we will be overwhelming favourites to win it.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:02 am

RVclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:56 am
There is always good quality, think to Brighton the year we went up who finished 3rd, they were a good side, Knockaert was great that year. That league is about consistency over a season though and Dyche teams have been very good at that in general. Also Fulham have walked that league this year with Mitrovic breaking records yet he couldn’t score in the Prem last year!
Mitrovic is made out to be a shocking striker in the prem. his record is actually pretty decent. Isn’t it something like 25 goals in 100 games. 1-4 is not a bad return at all. Sky sports were saying Minutes per goals stats are actually close to 1 goal ever 220 minutes (2.5 games).

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:03 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:59 am
I think people are optimistic if they think we'll hang on to Pope in the event of relegation. He's a quality goalkeeper and will almost certainly have suitors. No chance we'll keep him, IMO.
Raised this question before, who is going to spend upwards of 20m on a keeper? I can think of Newcastle but aside from that most teams in the Prem have decent keepers already. A newly promoted side probably won’t spend that amount on a keeper. Sam Johnstone had a class season for West Brom in the Prem (and is currently ahead of Pope in England set up) yet no one paid the 15m+ they asked for.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:04 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:59 am
Perhaps! but Stoke kept Butland, and West Brom kept Johnstone when they both suffered relegation, so I wouldn't automatically assume Pope will be on his way.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:05 am

RVclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:03 am
Raised this question before, who is going to spend upwards of 20m on a keeper? I can think of Newcastle but aside from that most teams in the Prem have decent keepers already. A newly promoted side probably won’t spend that amount on a keeper. Sam Johnstone had a class season for West Brom in the Prem (and is currently ahead of Pope in England set up) yet no one paid the 15m+ they asked for.
I can’t see any prem club paying what we want for Pope. As we discussed earlier every other club plays out from the back, it rules Pope out straight away.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:06 am

Troy Deeney said last night on MOTD that the gap between the PL and Championship is miles wide and getting wider every season, and he's playing in it so he'd probably know.

It's difficult to get out of if you've not got a) better players than everyone else and b) not got the right attitude.

Go down thinking you'll walk it and you probably won't. But it's really not a great standard compared to the PL.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:14 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:05 am
I can’t see any prem club paying what we want for Pope. As we discussed earlier every other club plays out from the back, it rules Pope out straight away.
If not then great, we’ll have easily the best keeper in the league. If Mee resigns then we’d have the best back 5 in the league too, without a doubt. I think the two most likely sold are McNeil and Cornet, which should raise more than enough funds to get decent replacements and importantly invest in youth to build for the future.

JohnMcGreal

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:15 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:05 am
How do you know what we want for Pope?

I'd like to think our strategy will be a determination to hang on to our best players and not just accept any reasonable offers for our most saleable assets, but we don't really know what will happen. Hopefully it's the former.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:18 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:15 am
How do you know what we want for Pope?

I'd like to think our strategy will be a determination to hang on to our best players and not just accept any reasonable offers for our most saleable assets, but we don't really know what will happen. Hopefully it's the former.
I suspect we are looking for around 15-20m for Pope. Even if we look for lower I can’t see many clubs showing interest.

However it’s great news for us, as RV says it leaves us with the best defence in the league.

JohnMcGreal

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:20 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:18 am
I suspect we are looking for around 15-20m for Pope. Even if we look for lower I can’t see many clubs showing interest.

However it’s great news for us, as RV says it leaves us with the best defence in the league.
Absolutely. It would be great if we could hang on to Pope and a few others.

It would be even better if we don't get relegated, mind!

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:21 am

This season the Championship is about as weak as it has been for years.

3 teams out of the current 4 play off positions have lost 10 or more games already this season

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:32 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:20 am
Absolutely. It would be great if we could hang on to Pope and a few others.

It would be even better if we don't get relegated, mind!
Haha very true it’s all purely speculation at this point.

Big win against Brentford and everything is rosey again

buzzclarets79

Post by buzzclarets79 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:09 pm

A back 5 of :-

Pope

That would give us a great chance of pushing for automatic promotion. Like to see Bobby Thomas ahead of Long for the bench.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:12 pm

buzzclarets79 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:09 pm
A back 5 of :-

Pope

That would give us a great chance of pushing for automatic promotion. Like to see Bobby Thomas ahead of Long for the bench.
I might be wrong but isn’t Long out of contract this summer?

buzzclarets79

Post by buzzclarets79 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:15 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:12 pm
Like he's not going to get another 2/3 year deal :lol:

taio
Been Liked: 3249 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:16 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:12 pm
No.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 756 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:26 pm

The only player in my eyes who is 100% certain to be leaving if we went down is Tarks

Then for the OOC players I'd move heaven and earth to keep Ben Mee

Maybe I'd offer Cork an extension

I think Cornet, Weghorst, Pope & McNeil would all stay (unless silly offers came in)

Jay, Lennon, Barnes, Bardsley, Vydra & Pieters can all go for me (I'm slightly on the fence about Pieters mind, but I think he will go anyway as he isn't sticking around to be bacup on championship wages)

BERNIEU

Post by BERNIEU » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:38 pm

Ric_C wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:26 pm
The only player in my eyes who is 100% certain to be leaving if we went down is Tarks
I can't see Vydra re-signing, and I'm sure Ben Mee would be wanted by a promoted side.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 756 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:39 pm

Also Dale Stephens can leave, I'd genuinely forgotten about him

BERNIEU

Post by BERNIEU » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:25 pm

If Cornet has the £20 mil release clause, I can see him going. But I'd want us to keep either him or McNeil. If we sell both, we've no left-midfielder other than JBG.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8540 times
Has Liked: 18293 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:45 pm

84 posts on your 1st day and just 2 on 2nd ... Whats up BERNIEU repetitive strain injury or keyboard finger syndrome 😉

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:51 pm

Me, in the seat that I've had for years

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1189 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:52 pm

BERNIEU wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:25 pm
If Cornet has the £20 mil release clause, I can see him going. But I'd want us to keep either him or McNeil. If we sell both, we've no left-midfielder other than JBG.
He will have a release clause it’s mindful to remember that we haven’t fully paid up on him yet although there’s no suggestion we won’t fulfil our obligations on that front, a odd 1 or 2 more will look to move if the landscape changes when the vultures start circling on the carcass that is the championship.