The strong spine

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretandbluesky
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 13 times

The strong spine

Post by claretandbluesky » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:37 pm

When we were good that is what we had. At present we’re a tad buckled but can we regain that strength or do we have to look at reinforcing that spine particularly in midfield.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Re: The strong spine

Post by DCWat » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:42 pm

All we can do for this season is utilise the players that are in form and delivering. Presently, that isn’t Westwood.

Outside of this season, our midfield needs completely overhauling.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4075 times
Has Liked: 1854 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:45 pm

There's more spine in a bucket o jellyfish.

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 585 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:46 pm

Strong jaw.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 3837 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:46 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:42 pm
All we can do for this season is utilise the players that are in form and delivering. Presently, that isn’t Westwood.

Outside of this season, our midfield needs completely overhauling.
Ultimately it’s an abject failure of Garlick (mainly) and Pace (partly) to strengthen our utterly weak midfield. Realities, as Dyche would call them.

Not complaining- we’re a small team punching above our weight, but that’s where the issue lies. Compounded, in my opinion, by Dyche’s baffling decisions to pick Westwood over Cork, who propagates out hoofball.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:52 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:46 pm
Ultimately it’s an abject failure of Garlick (mainly) and Pace (partly) to strengthen our utterly weak midfield. Realities, as Dyche would call them.

Not complaining- we’re a small team punching above our weight, but that’s where the issue lies. Compounded, in my opinion, by Dyche’s baffling decisions to pick Westwood over Cork, who propagates out hoofball.
I lay some of the blame with Dyche as well. I agree that he’s probably been hamstrung by our lack of recruitment, but I just can’t see why midfield wasn’t seen as a priority.

We could all see it was a glaring issue so surely he could.

claretandbluesky

Post by claretandbluesky » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:18 pm

One of the big differences has been that in the past we took a high proportion of our chances.
We’ve never created many but for a number of years we were efficient when we did.
The last couple of seasons we’ve rarely looked sharp or incisive in front of goal.

I’d pull Jay out on the right Cornet on the left and have McNeil and Brownhill attacking through the middle. With Weghorst up front, five potential scoring avenues. We need to attack from all angles and make things difficult for our opponents.

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 648 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:42 am

We're at our fittest and strongest in the second part of the season according to our leader and his stats

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:55 am

we're so poor in both boxes I'm not sure what I'd do

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11061 times
Has Liked: 5665 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:13 am

jaw is in bits

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by thelaughingclaret » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:10 am

We had a strong spine and jaw against Brighton, Spurs and palace. Then Dyche thought after them 3 excellent results the best thing to do would be to change our midfield and play a winger up front whilst reverting back to hoof ball.
No worries though. Only 3 and a half more years of this to go!

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:13 am

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:55 am
we're so poor in both boxes I'm not sure what I'd do
1 major defensive mistake in the defence, I thought we were ok at the back..........going forward it looked like Cornet and WW couldn't communicate all afternoon (I genuinely didn't see them talk to each other on the TV)

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:23 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:13 am
1 major defensive mistake in the defence, I thought we were ok at the back..........going forward it looked like Cornet and WW couldn't communicate all afternoon (I genuinely didn't see them talk to each other on the TV)
that 1 mistake loses you the game though, Tarkowski had 2 mistakes against Chelsea (backs off backs off until he's in his own penalty area and doesnt close down the cross for Havertz goal and then the wonderful assist for Pulisic).

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3194 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:10 am

claretandbluesky wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:18 pm
One of the big differences has been that in the past we took a high proportion of our chances.
We’ve never created many but for a number of years we were efficient when we did.
The last couple of seasons we’ve rarely looked sharp or incisive in front of goal.

I’d pull Jay out on the right Cornet on the left and have McNeil and Brownhill attacking through the middle. With Weghorst up front, five potential scoring avenues. We need to attack from all angles and make things difficult for our opponents.
You forgot to put Tarkowski & Kevin Long in midfield......maybe Vydra could replace Taylor at left back.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:38 am

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:23 am
that 1 mistake loses you the game though, Tarkowski had 2 mistakes against Chelsea (backs off backs off until he's in his own penalty area and doesnt close down the cross for Havertz goal and then the wonderful assist for Pulisic).
Harry Maguire cost 26 times what Tarkowski cost and he makes more mistakes imho

Varane makes mistakes, Ramos makes mistakes. John Terry made mistakes, Ferdinand made mistakes - even VVD makes the odd mistake

You'll not find a player in the history of the game that hasn't made mistakes especially in defence. I'm really not sure how you are setting your expectation levels tbh ?

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:45 am

i'll add, look at how many mistakes John Stones and Nathan Ake make in one of the best teams in the world with one of the best managers there has ever been.

leightonjameslegend
Been Liked: 104 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by leightonjameslegend » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:14 am

In the last year we've won 6 PL games. Everton, Wolves and Fulham last season; Brentford, BHA and Spurs this season.
Jack Cork started 4 of them.
We've won 2 games in a year with a CM pairing of Brownhill and Westwood!

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:11 am

The strong spine includes Ben Mee as left centre back. As soon as he is out Tarks, our best outfield player, has to play in an unfavoured position as left centre back. That’s the biggest issue because it affects the whole team and the first goal yesterday is an example where the left centre back and left back are leaving a gap too wide for a simple finish. As others have said we need Cork back too.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4109 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:21 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:46 pm

I agree with almost every part of that. The part I’m NOT having is Pace bearing any blame. He’s tried his best to get players in, and barring a change of heart (coupled with a huge pay rise no doubt) by one player who could possibly have changed our fortunes, he’s been very active in the market.
Hennessy
Collins
Roberts
Cornet
Weghorst
The blame lands firmly at the door of Garlick with regards to allowing this to happen. Nothing more than dereliction of duty and he put his own pocket before doing the right thing for the club.
And Dyche bears some of the blame too for his poor team selections, poor tactics, poor team talks and poor substitutions.

For the record, I want Dyche to stay, but he’s a stubborn old goat and no mistake.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:27 am

Hibsclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:11 am
The strong spine includes Ben Mee as left centre back. As soon as he is out Tarks, our best outfield player, has to play in an unfavoured position as left centre back. That’s the biggest issue because it affects the whole team and the first goal yesterday is an example where the left centre back and left back are leaving a gap too wide for a simple finish. As others have said we need Cork back too.
And that’s a decision the manager should be getting right. Tarks should remain in his most effective role. Collins should be in for Mee at LCB. As it is now we have two concerns. 1. Tarks is out of position. 2. Mee isn’t on the pitch. Playing Tarks where he is colossal leaves only one of those things to worry about.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:48 am

Definitely agree that it’s the manager’s choice, probably because of the experience levels of the 2 players. He thinks Tarks is more adaptable to the left centre half position. I think most of the 8 goals we have conceded in the last 2 weeks have been in some way caused by this issue and the manager should have seen it in the Leicester game and most definitely the Chelsea game. It should have been changed for Brentford but Sean just does not do this sort of thing.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:53 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:21 am
I agree with almost every part of that. The part I’m NOT having is Pace bearing any blame. He’s tried his best to get players in, and barring a change of heart (coupled with a huge pay rise no doubt) by one player who could possibly have changed our fortunes, he’s been very active in the market.
Hennessy
Collins
Roberts
Cornet
Weghorst
The blame lands firmly at the door of Garlick with regards to allowing this to happen. Nothing more than dereliction of duty and he put his own pocket before doing the right thing for the club.
And Dyche bears some of the blame too for his poor team selections, poor tactics, poor team talks and poor substitutions.

For the record, I want Dyche to stay, but he’s a stubborn old goat and no mistake.
To be fair though, Pace has had three windows. That’s enough to buy a midfielder & he hasn’t. That’s why I said partly. I think everyone at the club needs to ask themselves if they could have done more. And I think it’s fair to say Pace could in that respect. Not to say he hasn’t tried though.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:37 pm

Strong spine is evident when Mee/Tarks are together at the heart of the defence, and Brownhill/Cork pair up in the centre of midfield.

Pieters has also been a big miss as he was playing decent prior to his injury.

Take those key pieces out of the jigsaw, and it impacts badly on us.

Now injuries we can't do much about, but Cork should have started yesterday in a key fixture, no guarantee we'd have got a result with him alongside Brownhill, but the stats suggest we'd have a much better chance than Westwood starting, I'm still baffled by Sean's thinking there.

But midfield is definitely an area we need to recruit in over the summer, Stephens will be on his way, so that should free up funds to hopefully get a free transfer or two over the line.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:40 pm

Agree tiger, totally baffling.

Read today we’ve won 6 in a year and a bit & Cork has played 4 of those. Tells you all you need to know. Although I agree that Mee and Pieters are also a big miss.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:49 pm

Had we managed to hold on against both Leicester and Brentford those two extra points might be crucial come the end of the season.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:12 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:49 pm
Had we managed to hold on against both Leicester and Brentford those two extra points might be crucial come the end of the season.
Could equally say the same about our early games at home to Leeds and away at Leicester, the amount of vital points we've blown in the dying minutes of games is gonna bite us on the butt big time, and yesterday summed up our season, great chance to take the lead from Cornet, he fluffs his lines, and then Brentford nab 2 in the closing stages.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:38 pm

If. Maybe. Yeah but. What it were reyt.

Anything other than points means fuckall.

Points win prizes. And we have won and deserved fuckall. Occasionally we have shown some spirit, but not anywhere near close to a what we needed to.

We don’t have a strong spine. The jaw is now like amir khans, Crystal. We are FOOKED! Gone. Done. Finished. Beaten.

We’re done, and you know it.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3813 times
Has Liked: 12503 times

Post by Leisure » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:41 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:38 pm
If. Maybe. Yeah but. What it were reyt.

Anything other than points means fuckall.

Points win prizes. And we have won and deserved fuckall. Occasionally we have shown some spirit, but not anywhere near close to a what we needed to.

We don’t have a strong spine. The jaw is now like amir khans, Crystal. We are FOOKED! Gone. Done. Finished. Beaten.

We’re done, and you know it.
Bob - But do you think we can stay up? ;) ;) ;)
This user liked this post: bobinho

claretandbluesky

Post by claretandbluesky » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:22 am

We potentially still have a strong defensive part of the spine, the rest is wobbling.

Blatherwickstattoo
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by Blatherwickstattoo » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:06 am

Mee is the strong spine. That’s it. The rest aren’t.

claretandbluesky

Post by claretandbluesky » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:09 am

Tarkowski Mee Pope are a very strong spine.
We need steel or numbers in midfield
And of course someone who can put the ball in the net or contributions from everyone.

At present neither midfield or attack has that ring of confidence.
This user liked this post: tiger76