If we somehow stay up,go down and get back up, is a change in how we play essential?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

If we somehow stay up,go down and get back up, is a change in how we play essential?

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:02 am

Ok we might never get back but forget that. There is an argument that our style has kept us up for much longer then we or pundits thought, and without covid and the takeover and maybe a better rub of the green we would have been safe this season .
Personally I am getting a tadge bored watching some of the football and the comments from other fans along the lines of how do you watch that every week etc.
We have played some brilliant football under Dyche especially when we had Defour but we didn't sustain it .
I think Dyche has been ordered to ensure that we cannot get relegated rather like Cotterill was and that is his mindset, and the football has reflected that.
For me we need to change,solid yes boring at times,bus parking etc but more flair is desperately required if we ever play in the Prem again.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: If we somehow stay up,go down and get back up, is a change in how we play essential?

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:11 am

Will be interesting to see how dyche rebuilds. Think he’d like to improve his image as well. He clearly likes a mixed build up because he says it all the time. Problem is, when we play badly it is anything but mixed, about as repetitive as you can be.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 524 times

Re: If we somehow stay up,go down and get back up, is a change in how we play essential?

Post by beddie » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:17 am

A number of young legs will be required, especially in the middle of the park, it’s a re build I’m afraid and that will take time especially with limited on finances. Patience from us all will be a must.
These 3 users liked this post: tiger76 Vegas Claret bfcjg

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:19 am

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:11 am
Will be interesting to see how dyche rebuilds. Think he’d like to improve his image as well. He clearly likes a mixed build up because he says it all the time. Problem is, when we play badly it is anything but mixed, about as repetitive as you can be.
He’s had almost 10 years here but I’d argue his first full season was actually the best football we’ve played under him (up there with the Defour season imo). Vings, Trippier and the pressing of Marney, it was great. He’s had plenty of chances to improve our style of play but it’s not really happened.

Blatherwickstattoo
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by Blatherwickstattoo » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:23 am

Dyche hasn’t moved with the times in terms of tactics. He’s the exact same as he’s always been, rigid, one dimensional and predictable.

He’s also that stubborn he won’t change.

Alan pace darent say anything to him either.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:27 am

David Moyes is a great example of a manager who has evolved with the times. He was well known for a while for rigid and direct football. Yet his return to West Ham this time has seen him develop significantly tactically, he is now a very smart tactician, as his teams performance last night against La Liga’s 2nd best team suggested. Maybe it was some time away from the game that helped.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

Belial
Been Liked: 382 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:39 am

The best we've played from an entertainment point of view was the season where we finished 7th. Largely due to Defour's creativity, Brady's best time with us, and high confidence spread to the rest of the team. It proved that we could mix it up, however we've had nobody since that has an ounce of creativity in them, maybe Dyche wants them to play like that but knows how restricted they are, or maybe he's gone back to basics with his tactics. I'd like to think if we can pick a CM with some creativity to unlock the potential of Cornet, Wout and some of the others that we'd actually see some enjoyable football mixed in again. Fine details!
This user liked this post: bfcjg

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:45 am

Yep.

We need an exciting spell where fans bust a gut to want to be there.
Now, financial matters get discussed on here more than the football.

Shane Warne said of Monty Panasar that he didn't play 50 Test matches. He played 1 Test match, 50 times.
Exactly the same with Dyche.
These 4 users liked this post: BLH_Claret tiger76 Vegas Claret bfcjg

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5175 times

Post by Rowls » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:45 am

He's rarely had those vital Trippier/Ings or Defour/Brady combinations to play with but when he has, we've played a much more pleasing style of football.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:04 am

Rowls wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:45 am
He's rarely had those vital Trippier/Ings or Defour/Brady combinations to play with but when he has, we've played a much more pleasing style of football.
A different manager could play far better football with this squad than we do.
These 2 users liked this post: BLH_Claret Blatherwickstattoo

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:10 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:04 am
A different manager could play far better football with this squad than we do.
Surely if that was the case then other teams with similar budgets to ours would have stopped in the Prem for a similar time.

The fact that there aren't any suggests it's simply not possible to play more expansive football and stay up season after season.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:17 am

It's a myth that we played creative football in the season we finished 7th. We scored less than a goal a game and our xG per 90 (or measure of quality of chances) was lower than it is this season.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:26 am

Spijed wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:10 am
Surely if that was the case then other teams with similar budgets to ours would have stopped in the Prem for a similar time.

The fact that there aren't any suggests it's simply not possible to play more expansive football and stay up season after season.
There's too many variables to answer your question but I'm on about playing better football.

Just like Coyle benefited from inheriting decent footballers, held back by crap/boring tactics under Cotterill. The new manager here, if the right one, could as well.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:27 am

Blatherwickstattoo wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:23 am
Dyche hasn’t moved with the times in terms of tactics. He’s the exact same as he’s always been, rigid, one dimensional and predictable.

He’s also that stubborn he won’t change.

Alan pace darent say anything to him either.
Fully agree. I listened to an interview on Talk Sport yesterday with Matty Cash the Villa full back, on what life was like under Gerrard. It was an eye opener on what Gerrard and his coaches had introduced on the training ground-things that were simply not being done by Deane Smith and Craig Shakespeare. He claims they have made him a better player working on aspects of his all round game in training. Identifying bad aspects of his play from the previous game (plus the good aspects)and trying to remedy it. He cited his crossing and cut backs being a major improvement now when he attacks. No coincidence he is scoring now and assisting goals. THey also spend endless time on defensive set ups once they had fully analysed the next opponents. In Cash's case they would analyse the winger he will next play against and how they can be contained. I think Gerrard is equipping himself well in the PL and one day I see him at Anfield

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:28 am

When we add a few quality young players to our squad it will allow the manager more open attacking options . Dyche is a pragmatist and plays to the few strengths we have
This user liked this post: ClaretPete001

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:30 am

You can't compete like for like over 38 games with teams that can afford much better players. To compete against all the odds you have to have players that would not get into any other Premier team but are really good within a system so the sum of the parts becomes greater than the individuals.

The consequence is the style and formation becomes the same but players can be targeted efficiently and like for like replacements bought.

It worked well but somewhat fell apart with the purchases of Vydra and Gibson and then nothing until this season.

If you want to watch Premiership football as a Burnley fan you won't do it playing expansive football.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:40 am

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:30 am
You can't compete like for like over 38 games with teams that can afford much better players. To compete against all the odds you have to have players that would not get into any other Premier team but are really good within a system so the sum of the parts becomes greater than the individuals.

The consequence is the style and formation becomes the same but players can be targeted efficiently and like for like replacements bought.

It worked well but somewhat fell apart with the purchases of Vydra and Gibson and then nothing until this season.

If you want to watch Premiership football as a Burnley fan you won't do it playing expansive football.
Is expansive football classed as aiming for each other or playing balls that favour our players winning?

Belial
Been Liked: 382 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:48 am

Tall Paul wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:17 am
It's a myth that we played creative football in the season we finished 7th. We scored less than a goal a game and our xG per 90 (or measure of quality of chances) was lower than it is this season.
That maybe the case RE xG (I haven't checked) however I'd challenge you to find someone who says the last 2 seasons have been more enjoyable to watch

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:01 am

Belial wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:48 am
That maybe the case RE xG (I haven't checked) however I'd challenge you to find someone who says the last 2 seasons have been more enjoyable to watch
That's because it's winning football matches that makes football enjoyable and we won plenty of games in that season mostly 1-0, despite not creating any more chances than we have done in the last couple.

Yes, creating more good chances makes winning games more likely, but that isn't what happened in 17/18.
This user liked this post: BabylonClaret

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by Woonderbah » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:09 am

The destinies of both BFC and Sean Dyche boil down to the next 11 games.
We know what's needed.. nicking draws won't be enough.. we need wins.
If SD has ambitions of managing at a more top end Premier League club then the next 11 games will be his curriculum vitae.. Clubs that have been tracking his career and see him as a potential manager for them will be watching closely.
Can he send out a team and affect the game with tactics and substitutions to win a game rather than not get beaten ?
Forget that 'he's the best man to get us back up' because top end clubs don't consider relegation.
I really hope he can unleash the team we've seen in patches this season and get some welcome winning momentum.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:16 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:40 am
Is expansive football classed as aiming for each other or playing balls that favour our players winning?
Passing to each other in tight spaces under pressure is the difference between world class players and ordinary ones.

Burnley will not be able to afford 14 or 15 players that can play like that to sustain a Premiership place for 6 years.

The key to Burnley's success was the fact that our players ran harder and covered more ground than anyone else's with two banks of four, a serious press and at least one big lad who knocked lumps out of the opposition and could win the ball in the air because it doesn't matter how good at football you are you won't beat a big lad who can jump. And when you only have 40 per cent possession you need to be able to clear the lines.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 524 times

Post by beddie » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:44 am

RVclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:27 am
David Moyes is a great example of a manager who has evolved with the times. He was well known for a while for rigid and direct football. Yet his return to West Ham this time has seen him develop significantly tactically, he is now a very smart tactician, as his teams performance last night against La Liga’s 2nd best team suggested. Maybe it was some time away from the game that helped.
I agree with what you say about Moyes and it’s deserving. Obviously I don’t know whether Dyche can change to more freedom football, the only thing I would add about Moyes is that he’s had a good amount of money to spend in comparison to Dyche and of course other clubs with bigger budgets offer players better terms. Better players are often tactically better and faster. At this time Moyes wouldn’t get anymore out of our current squad, no matter how tactically better he might be. Let’s be honest we’ve been punching for sometime and we might now have to get used to a few seasons below the big boys.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11060 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:13 pm

we used to out run teams to make up for the gap in ability, they now all run harder or match us plus they have better quality. We are ******* in the wind with 80% of our current players at this level now. That's the reality.

LordBob
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by LordBob » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:58 pm

if we stay up I am expecting a barrow load of sawdust to be dumped on my driveway and then I have no doubt several of my 'friends' will arrive to gloat as I attempt to plait the stuff, I reckon I'm safe though.