Dyche is still the man for the job without a shadow of doubt.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quicknick
Been Liked: 1219 times
Has Liked: 7211 times

Re: Dyche is still the man for the job without a shadow of doubt.

Post by Quicknick » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:34 am

claretspice wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:46 am
There's got to be a balance to this I think.

Dyche has worked wonders for us. His name deserves to be in gold letters whenever the next history of the club is written.

But as AGreenwood has rightly noted on a different thread, there's reason so few managers - even successful ones like Guardiola - do a decade at a single club. Its a relentless, exhausting, full-throttle job and 10 years is a long time - particularly when the last 5 of those 10 have seen the team increasingly struggle to survive at this level.

If it's time for Dyche to go, it's not because he's a bad manager or a dinosaur or anything like that, it's because he's burned out a bit with us. To me, that's how things look a bit at the minute. The set up looks a bit stale. I think it is fair to say that a few players have underperformed this season and for the first time under Dyche we've probably looked less than the sum of our parts at times. The football has also become increasingly the stereotypical view of Burnley, absent the bits of sophistication which used to go under-reported and were probably the real secret of our success.

No-one should be demanding Dyche be sacked. But that's a world away from saying that perhaps there's a frank conversation to be had before the summer about whether he still has the appetite for the job, how he's going to freshen it up, etc. That's a conversation which in my view needs resolving as soon as our fate is decided - not before, but no later too.
He'd be able to freshen it up if he had the funds to do so.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:37 am

I think we are going to be in for a bumpy few years now. The club we perhaps ought to model ourselves on is Brentford but it’s taken them quite a few years to achieve promotion. Remember we bought Andre Gray from them as well as Tarky and that was a long time ago so we need a conveyor belt of talent either from abroad and/or via the Academy.

Sean’s default position seems to be to retain senior staff and even add to them e.g. Stephens and Lennon.

He’s done well with McNeil but this is the exception. The immediate problem next season will be to find a dozen Upper end Championship players and mould them into a team.

Sleeping Cat
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Sleeping Cat » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:40 am

I remember when Dyche came in and did an interview about his playing style and tactics to which he answered something along the lines of "I work with what I've got". Of course, makes sense when you inherit a squad of seriously limited players or have serious limitations on recruitment.

Not sure you can say that after 9.5 years, after several seasons in the richest league in the world and with a team of players who have played international football like Pope, Weghorst, Cornet, Tarks, Pieters, Roberts, JBG, Vydra, Collins, Cork (1 cap), Jay (1 cap) McNeil (U21s). And even then the team is players who have played the majority of their careers in top flight football.

These aren't league 2 players, they can play a better more progressive style of play if coached to.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2605 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:46 am

Unfortunately, for a fair few on this board, they'll only realise how good he has been, and probably still is, once he has gone.

Some of the posts on here, and on the Name the next manager thread show a lack of gratitude, context and respect in my opinion.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:47 am

Some valid points amongst the comments.

No-one is denying Dyche has done wonders for BFC, and his achievements certainly shouldn't be belittled, 2 top 10 PL finishes, and even a brief sojourn into Europe, also romping to the Championship title in 2016.

However things have clearly gone stale over the past 18 months-2 years. and SD has to take some responsibility for our present malaise. and what's really worrying is our lack of desire in the vital 6 pointers, no-one expects us to compete with the big money clubs, but we can't even give the likes of Brentford and Norwich a game when it truly matters.

Add to this an ageing squad, which is mainly Sean's choice, and the fact that none of our players are showing signs of improvement over the past few seasons, Dwight being an obvious example, when he was thrust into 1st team action he was a breath of fresh air, and looked an exciting talent, now his best work is defensively, and when one if not our most creative player is being stifled is it any wonder we struggle to score goals or win games.

I can see the arguments regarding Dyche's Championship record, however that was several seasons ago, and I can't see this present squad being anywhere near pushing for promotion, Norwich easily beat us yesterday, and I can see them winning the Championship handily next season.

Sean has presided over a great period in our long history, but it feels like a good time to go in a different direction now, and why so many fans are fearful of change I have no idea, yes there's an element of risk, but there's also an element of risk in keeping on a manager who's barely won a game in 2 seasons, and if anything our form is regressing in recent weeks, plus I for one don't believe SD will be able to rebuild another squad, the last time we suffered relegation we had the basis of a decent Championship squad, which just needed a few tweaks, Andre Gray being a notable capture for big money by our standards, however given the present financial predicament I can't see us splashing out cash this summer, indeed it's more likely that we flog a few of our stars to service the debt, and cover the large debt in revenue.

So for me we might as well take the plunge and appoint someone who'll give the youngsters a chance, because that's something which has been sorely lacking in recent seasons, and who knows we might just find a gem or two emerge from the development squad if we give youth a chance.
This user liked this post: ClaretAL

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:52 am

Is this staleness thing not a repetitive fans thing?

Charlton were stale under Curbishley - downward cycle
Stoke were stale under Pulis - downward cycle
West Brom were stale under Megson - downward cycle.

Are they not just teams who are playing at a level above their available resources? And I get that it gets boring, I get that 14 wins in 60 or whatever the stats are don't work. I see people asking the question do we think there's nobody who could do better?

I think a more pertinent question is, what's the % chance of finding one of them, versus the % chance of finding one who does worse? Most clubs who have gone through staleness (and remember, people only get to go "Stale" usually, because they've done a very good job, for a very long time) end up with somebody who produces worse results.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:19 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:46 am
Unfortunately, for a fair few on this board, they'll only realise how good he has been, and probably still is, once he has gone.

Some of the posts on here, and on the Name the next manager thread show a lack of gratitude, context and respect in my opinion.
I think there's a simple failure by a great number of people to understand that things could get worse.

Murger
Been Liked: 1245 times
Has Liked: 847 times

Post by Murger » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:20 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:19 pm
I think there's a simple failure by a great number of people to understand that things could get worse.
By that logic, Dyche has a job for life then?

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:20 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:51 pm
for all those criticising the team and sean dyche, it might be more appropriate to consider the nonsense you spout based on the facts.
How can blame be attributed towards him when we all know and have largely agreed that he has been restricted right throughout his tenure by inadequate finances.
The job he has done is incredible, and virtually done on a shoestring budget.
Do you actually believe he has been satisfied with backing he has received ?
Up against the billionaires running most of our opposing teams, he has got us up, kept us up and has had to oversee an ageing squad with his hands tied.
The media and all managers realise what a task it has been. He never gets flak from them because they can understand the obstacles he faces season in, season out.
All this **** about bringing in other managers is mindless dross.
Ive said it before, but you could give Pep or klopp the job here and they would inevitably struggle due to the same reasons dyche has.
Our players train and try their best, this season it just hasn't worked out as well as previously. Al the vitriolic abuse towards them is sickening. The opposite of loyalty.
Same thing happens on here time and time again, the haters kick up a storm after a defeat without having one decent alternative. Somehow they know better than the professionals in the game I suppose.
What ********.
No he isn't.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1189 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:21 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:46 am

The way some of you go on I don’t think we’ll ever get the opportunity to find out, some people are robustly convinced & conditioned to think other managerial possibilities don’t exist beyond the current setup & can’t or won’t see the potential brighter future that could lay in wait.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:22 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:19 pm
I think you are misjudging people’s understanding? Most of us know that things are probably going to get a whole lot worse.
This user liked this post: BLH_Claret

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:23 pm

Murger wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:20 pm
By that logic, Dyche has a job for life then?
Not sure how you calculate that logic to be fair.

I'd have him in the job until he starts to underperform compared to potential replacements or reasonable expectations, personally.

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:24 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:22 pm
I think you are misjudging people’s understanding? Most of us know that things are probably going to get a whole lot worse.
If the people who want Dyche out know that things are going to get a whole lot worse after Dyche goes I am certainly misjudging people's understanding.

Murger
Been Liked: 1245 times
Has Liked: 847 times

Post by Murger » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:24 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:23 pm

I'd have him in the job until he starts to underperform compared to potential replacements or reasonable expectations, personally.
Until he starts to underperform? What's been going on for the past 2 years then?
This user liked this post: BLH_Claret

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:24 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:22 pm
It’s a banker keeping things in situ.

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:25 pm

Murger wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:24 pm
Until he starts to underperform? What's been going on for the past 2 years then?
We've been in the Premier League.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1576 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:25 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:23 pm

Serious question how bad does it get before we get rid of him?

He’s currently the worst performing manager in the country so it must be quite a lot worse for you to consider getting rid?

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:28 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:25 pm

He’s currently the worst performing manager in the country so it must be quite a lot worse for you to consider getting rid?
He's not the worst performing manager in the country. That's a really silly thing to say. We're not even bottom of the league we're in.

It's hard to make a definitive statement about the future for me, because I don't know how bad relegation will be for our finances and how the owners will respond. If he's put in a place to compete for promotion next season and doesn't, I think that it may be the time to move.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:30 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:28 pm
He's not the worst performing manager in the country. That's a really silly thing to say. We're not even bottom of the league we're in.

It's hard to make a definitive statement about the future for me, because I don't know how bad relegation will be for our finances and how the owners will respond. If he's put in a place to compete for promotion next season and doesn't, I think that it may be the time to move.
Depends how you judge it. There’s not a manager with less win or less points in the last 18 months.

I suspect promotion is not going to be a possibility next season with the rebuild. So surely then it’s just a case of not getting relegated again?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:31 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:28 pm

That true because the season isn’t concluded yet but the last year/seasons conclusion had us in the worst form guide throughout the entire 4 leagues, the only reason we don’t have that status yet is the season hasn’t finished for the findings to be established, we might not be bottom this time around but we won’t be far off.

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:32 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:30 pm
Depends how you judge it. There’s not a manager with less win or less points in the last 18 months.

I suspect promotion is not going to be a possibility next season with the rebuild. So surely then it’s just a case of not getting relegated again?
Yes, it depends if you set an arbitrary timeframe designed to make him the worst or not. I think most people would go with the not there.

If the aim next season is to not get relegated again, then that's what I'd judge him on. And I think he'd manage it rather easily too.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:33 pm

Just hate it on here after we have been beaten , still think a good few who spout sack Dyche are Rovers fans .
If we do go down name one manager who would be best to bring us back up , i will give you a Clue, SD .................

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:35 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:25 pm

This continues your "Use of stats" I see. Which can be summarily covered by You found 1 stat, and are going to present that as the whole picture (see also single passing stat to decide if a midfielder has played well or not).

It's a reductive use of numbers, and creates no space for discussion.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:36 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:32 pm
Yes, it depends if you set an arbitrary timeframe designed to make him the worst or not. I think most people would go with the not there.

If the aim next season is to not get relegated again, then that's what I'd judge him on. And I think he'd manage it rather easily too.
It’s not really an arbitrary timeframe though. It highlight two things:

1: Dyche has struggled for a long period of time (Tbf he did lack finances last season so judgement can be restraint).
2: anyone else that had relatively similar poor form was sacked.

Either way I think Dyche is incredibly lucky to be still be in a job. I don’t think he should be fired now but I think if we are relegated this season we should seriously consider it in the summer.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:36 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:52 am
Is this staleness thing not a repetitive fans thing?

Charlton were stale under Curbishley - downward cycle
Stoke were stale under Pulis - downward cycle
West Brom were stale under Megson - downward cycle.

Are they not just teams who are playing at a level above their available resources? And I get that it gets boring, I get that 14 wins in 60 or whatever the stats are don't work. I see people asking the question do we think there's nobody who could do better?

I think a more pertinent question is, what's the % chance of finding one of them, versus the % chance of finding one who does worse? Most clubs who have gone through staleness (and remember, people only get to go "Stale" usually, because they've done a very good job, for a very long time) end up with somebody who produces worse results.
For every Curbishley etc example, there’s a Hodgson / Viera, there’s a Bielsa / Marsch on the flip side. Main thing comes down to getting the next appointment and recruitment right. The above examples absolutely did get it right (just off the top of my head).

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:36 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:24 pm
If the people who want Dyche out know that things are going to get a whole lot worse after Dyche goes I am certainly misjudging people's understanding.
No. Things are going to get a whole lot worse whether he stays or not. Things have changed considerably since he easily led us to promotion last time. The odds will be heavily stacked against us making a swift return to the Premier League anytime soon.
Ageing squad, key players out of contract, parachute payments being absorbed into a debt ridden club’s balance sheet and a management team who look stale and devoid of ideas.
Hopefully though we can become a settled Championship team again for several seasons and have a tilt at the big time again when we are ready, and not do a Sunderland or Portsmouth.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2759 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:37 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:35 pm
This continues your "Use of stats" I see. Which can be summarily covered by You found 1 stat, and are going to present that as the whole picture (see also single passing stat to decide if a midfielder has played well or not).

Unfortunately the League Table is also a series of stats and numbers

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:37 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:35 pm

It’s not a single stat though? It’s the football league form table how can that not be discussed

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:39 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:36 pm
For every Curbishley etc example, there’s a Hodgson / Viera, there’s a Bielsa / Marsch on the flip side. Main thing comes down to getting the next appointment and recruitment right. The above examples absolutely did get it right (just off the top of my head).
How long was Hodgson at Palace? 3 years? That's not gone stale territory, that's normal foodball cycle territory.

Marsch? Is a new manager bounce new deemed a way of assessing impact? If so, there's hundreds of managers you could use - Benitez at Everton, probably 20 of the managers Watford have used in the last 3 years etc.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:39 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:37 pm
It’s not a single stat though? It’s the football league form table how can that not be discussed
Then by your very own argument, he's not the worst performing coach in the country is he? He's the 18th best manager in the country FFS.

Either way, you still have no concept of expected performance in your "Stats World" argument. They're an important part. Without it, you'd be slating a person rolling a dice for only rolling 130 sixes in 600 rolls of the dice. Whereas the reality is, they were doing pretty well.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:42 pm

There's a lot of you not going to like it, but it's time for Dyche to go. Sometimes you reach a point where a manager has taken you as far as he can.
When Howe left we couldn't defend to save our lives but had periods of nice attacking play, ten years down the line and we now appear to be in a similar predicament, we can't attack or pass the ball to save out lives but can defend well. We now need manager to come along and add a progressive style onto the existing framework. It's what happens in football, one main takes you to his point of no return, the next man builds on it.
Too many of you here getting too emotional about Dyche himself and past results (who would have thought it from a group of fans who throw "the orient game around" most weeks). I like Dyche but I don't support Dyche FC, I support Burnley FC and BFC is bigger than one man.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:42 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:39 pm
Then by your very own argument, he's not the worst performing coach in the country is he? He's the 18th best manager in the country FFS.
I don’t think you understand what form is?

He has the lowest number of wins and points in the last 18 months. This is not a league table it’s a form table.

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:43 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
It’s not really an arbitrary timeframe though. It highlight two things:

1: Dyche has struggled for a long period of time (Tbf he did lack finances last season so judgement can be restraint).
2: anyone else that had relatively similar poor form was sacked.

Either way I think Dyche is incredibly lucky to be still be in a job. I don’t think he should be fired now but I think if we are relegated this season we should seriously consider it in the summer.
Sorry, it's silly. The reason our poor form under Dyche has continued for longer than a season is because we didn't get relegated last season. That is an achievement.

You can point out we're crap by saying we're 18th in the league and going down without using a silly statistic designed to capture the worst possible outlook.

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:44 pm

Jamesy wrote:
No. Things are going to get a whole lot worse whether he stays or not. Things have changed considerably since he easily led us to promotion last time. The odds will be heavily stacked against us making a swift return to the Premier League anytime soon.
Ageing squad, key players out of contract, parachute payments being absorbed into a debt ridden club’s balance sheet and a management team who look stale and devoid of ideas.
Hopefully though we can become a settled Championship team again for several seasons and have a tilt at the big time again when we are ready, and not do a Sunderland or Portsmouth.
Then I think my point still stands because I don't think people are realising things can get a hell of a lot worse as a result of Dyche going.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:46 pm

Tribesmen wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:33 pm
Just hate it on here after we have been beaten , still think a good few who spout sack Dyche are Rovers fans .
If we do go down name one manager who would be best to bring us back up , i will give you a Clue, SD .................
Logically you can argue it’s the other way around though, this good few probably represents about 50% of the forum (going off the threads) surely we can’t all be rovers fans.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:46 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:39 pm
How long was Hodgson at Palace? 3 years? That's not gone stale territory, that's normal foodball cycle territory.

Marsch? Is a new manager bounce new deemed a way of assessing impact? If so, there's hundreds of managers you could use - Benitez at Everton, probably 20 of the managers Watford have used in the last 3 years etc.
What if we’d been brave and gone for Marsch? Their owners took the calculated gamble and it’s paid off. Is Leeds’ squad that much better than ours? Not for me. Could we have got that ‘new manager bounce’ you put it down to? A few posters on here, myself included, suggested his name a while back (despite what some posters say that no one has any names to replace).

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:47 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:43 pm
Sorry, it's silly. The reason our poor form under Dyche has continued for longer than a season is because we didn't get relegated last season. That is an achievement.

You can point out we're crap by saying we're 18th in the league and going down without using a silly statistic designed to capture the worst possible outlook.
Depends what you class as an achievement I personally think last season he just did the bare minimum. This season he has spent a further 50m and it’s very likely we will be relegated. I would class that as a failure.

Again I don’t think it’s a silly story, I think it tells a story that we have been incredibly poor for a long period of time. I think it suggests Dyche is lucky as anyone else with similar record was already sacked.

Like I said it’s not the time to get rid now. Best re assess in the summer and see if it works for both parties.

I honestly can’t see Dyche wanting another stint in the championship. I think it’s likely he does an eddie Howe and leaves the club with mutual consent.

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:50 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:47 pm
Depends what you class as an achievement I personally think last season he just did the bare minimum. This season he has spent a further 50m and it’s very likely we will be relegated. I would class that as a failure.

Again I don’t think it’s a silly story, I think it tells a story that we have been incredibly poor for a long period of time. I think it suggests Dyche is lucky as anyone else with similar record was already sacked.

Like I said it’s not the time to get rid now. Best re assess in the summer and see if it works for both parties.

I honestly can’t see Dyche wanting another stint in the championship. I think it’s likely he does and eddie Howe and leaves the club.
But you must at least understand that the only reason coming 17th in the Premier League could ever be called the "bare minimum" is because of Sean Dyche? He has created this level of expectation and there's no reason whatsoever to believe anyone else could do the same.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:51 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:44 pm
Then I think my point still stands because I don't think people are realising things can get a hell of a lot worse as a result of Dyche going.
And the only way Dyche will be going is if another club come in for him. He isn’t walking or getting sacked for sure after signing that handsome new contract. Pace and co would be relieved if someone came for him and compensated the club.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:51 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:50 pm
But you must at least understand that the only reason coming 17th in the Premier League could ever be called the "bare minimum" is because of Sean Dyche? He has created this level of expectation and there's no reason whatsoever to believe anyone else could do the same.
You've missed orient game from your post.

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:52 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:51 pm
And the only way Dyche will be going is if another club come in for him. He isn’t walking or getting sacked for sure after signing that handsome new contract. Pace and co would be relieved if someone came for him and compensated the club.
Fingers crossed

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1511 times
Has Liked: 582 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:53 pm

Stoke finished higher than they ever did under Pulis for three successive years after potting him and dropped to the Championship five years after he left. It's a reach and a half to suggest that happened because of his dismissal.

I'm somewhere in the middle - agree that a good number are too dismissive of Dyche and forgetting what he's done for us, but there's also a good number who are too accepting of the mind numbing football that we have been offered for the last 18 months or so. We have heavily regressed and I think it's acceptable that there should be a possibility of a refresh of ideas because this is harking back to the Crucifier days.

BLH_Claret
Been Liked: 59 times
Has Liked: 579 times

Post by BLH_Claret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:55 pm

Tribesmen wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:33 pm
The last two years must have been awful for you then? Typically ridiculous drama queenery. People with different views are Rovers fans? Maybe not everyone has bought into the cult like you. Hey, that’s your prerogative but don’t feel you have the right to put other people’s perfectly valid opinions down just because they don’t concur with yours.
This user liked this post: Jamesy

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:58 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:50 pm
Again it depends what you expect? We are not a league 1 club playing in the prem. we are currently ranked in the top 50 clubs in world football for finance. We have been in the prem for years and have in theory built a prem squad.

Also as a club haven’t we spent more than 50% of our seasons in the top division? Does that suggest that we belong in this league

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:58 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:46 pm
What if we’d been brave and gone for Marsch? Their owners took the calculated gamble and it’s paid off. Is Leeds’ squad that much better than ours? Not for me. Could we have got that ‘new manager bounce’ you put it down to? A few posters on here, myself included, suggested his name a while back (despite what some posters say that no one has any names to replace).
It's paid off short term. Has it worked for Watford? Norwich? Has it worked for Everton? Man Utd? The majority of manager appointments, long term, do not change the trajectory of a club, but can accelerate it, particularly negatively, as costs are incurred, change causes unrest, squads get bigger etc. C

Ultimately, long term, the vast majority of managers, as with people in most jobs, are just average - and they will deliver the same results. In my view, you've got to be really aware when you have a manager / person in a job who is better than average, and be absolutely certain, it's the right time to move them on, as the likelihood is that you will get someone worse. That doesn't mean you should never change, but you've got to be really certain that the chances of you doing better are stacked in your favour, or else, it's a long way back. I reckon most football clubs are totally ruined by 2 bad decisions at manager / board level - and it takes 10 years to recover.

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:04 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:58 pm
Again it depends what you expect? We are not a league 1 club playing in the prem. we are currently ranked in the top 50 clubs in world football for finance. We have been in the prem for years and have in theory built a prem squad.

Also as a club haven’t we spent more than 50% of our seasons in the top division? Does that suggest that we belong in this league
Ok, why are we currently ranked in the top 50 clubs in world football for finance? Why have we been in the Prem for years? Why in theory have we built a Prem squad? If you don't think the answer to these questions in Sean Dyche I don't know what to say.

Look, assuming the 93 in your username is the year you were born we're pretty much the same age. Did you grow up thinking we belonged in the top flight? I know I didn't.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:07 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tbf, many of the seasons in the top division were at a time when it was more of a level playing field. When we were regarded as one of the best clubs in the country our local rivals also had players who were top quality. For example, who would have thought Preston, Blackpool & Bolton would have three players who are regarded as three of England's greatest ever?

That's how different it was then than it is now.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:08 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:04 pm
Ok, why are we currently ranked in the top 50 clubs in world football for finance? Why have we been in the Prem for years? Why in theory have we built a Prem squad? If you don't think the answer to these questions in Sean Dyche I don't know what to say.

Look, assuming the 93 in your username is the year you were born we're pretty much the same age. Did you grow up thinking we belonged in the top flight? I know I didn't.
I fully appreciate the view that when we were kids we were not a prem club.

I just personally feel that times changes and even though Dyche is a massive factor of the clubs recent success. I just don’t buy into the view that he is bigger than the club. If the club feel (the experts) that there is someone that can retain our position at the top table then I would support that move.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1773 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:08 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
It's paid off short term. Has it worked for Watford? Norwich? Has it worked for Everton? Man Utd? The majority of manager appointments, long term, do not change the trajectory of a club, but can accelerate it, particularly negatively, as costs are incurred, change causes unrest, squads get bigger etc. C

Ultimately, long term, the vast majority of managers, as with people in most jobs, are just average - and they will deliver the same results. In my view, you've got to be really aware when you have a manager / person in a job who is better than average, and be absolutely certain, it's the right time to move them on, as the likelihood is that you will get someone worse. That doesn't mean you should never change, but you've got to be really certain that the chances of you doing better are stacked in your favour, or else, it's a long way back. I reckon most football clubs are totally ruined by 2 bad decisions at manager / board level - and it takes 10 years to recover.
There’s an added dimension to this. On the playing field there are a lot of changes coming with so many out of contract and possibly difficulties keeping hold of a handful of contracted players (Pope etc). It’s arguably a bigger task than after our previous relegations.

If Dyche stays he’s going to be a big part of that. Do we trust him with the rebuild? They have to be sure he’s the right man to set the course for the next 2-4 years.

If we get the rebuild wrong, with parachute payments soon gone, finding a way back will be very difficult whoever the manager is.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:09 pm

Spijed wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:07 pm
Tbf, many of the seasons in the top division were at a time when it was more of a level playing field. When we were regarded as one of the best clubs in the country our local rivals also had players who were top quality. For example, who would have thought Preston, Blackpool & Bolton would have three players who are regarded as three of England's greatest ever?

That's how different it was then than it is now.
Oh 100% finances plays a massive part now. But I do believe we deserve to be at the top table. It’s up to the club to figure out how to do that