Why change a new winning formula?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Why change a new winning formula?

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun May 01, 2022 12:22 am

What is happening? Remarkable fighting spirit, winning some of THE most important games in recent times, defying All the odds when in truth, we all knew we were for the drop.
Anyone got a clue as to why this transformation has occurred at the eleventh hour?
Do we really need a big name manager, or is the present set up adequate to maintain this level of success.
I can't recall such things happening here or elsewhere at this level at another club.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Re: Why change a new winning formula?

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun May 01, 2022 12:29 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 12:22 am
What is happening?
Anyone got a clue as to why this transformation has occurred at the eleventh hour?
Is it a coincidence we've parted with the previous management?

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun May 01, 2022 12:34 am

I don’t think Cork heading in from near the six yard box would have happened under the previous management.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun May 01, 2022 12:38 am

Think we'd hit a wall with Dyche and this was exacerbated by a worsening of the coaching team, particularly Stone's promotion. I don't know if there was anything else going on behind the scenes. I'm genuinely not just saying this to get a rise, but Pace's decision to fire Dyche took some serious cojones and it appears to have paid off in spades and may well have saved the club from relegation. This does now diminish what Dyche did for the club, indeed a lot of his qualities have been apparent in the last few games, but I think we'd reached THAT point and acted decisively. I can't imagine anybody expected these results but evidently something was up and we look like a different team now.

EDIT - Also, and I'm sounding like a broken record now, but we almost always look a better team with Jack Cork in it (and Brownhill looks a better player) and SD's seeming unwillingness to play him was baffling and indicative of blinkered tactical thinking.
These 3 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera Quicknick tiger76

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun May 01, 2022 12:47 am

I will admit to being totally wrong. I loved dyche, but I cannot recall anything like this resurgence
Its far from over, but the change is staggering.
Credit where it due,Mike Jackson and co have been phenomenal.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun May 01, 2022 12:51 am

The celebrations off the bench with the winning goal and then the final whistle says it all for me.
These 3 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera winsomeyen tiger76

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 648 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Sun May 01, 2022 12:55 am

Jackson out 😃

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 648 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Sun May 01, 2022 12:58 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 12:38 am
Think we'd hit a wall with Dyche and this was exacerbated by a worsening of the coaching team, particularly Stone's promotion. I don't know if there was anything else going on behind the scenes. I'm genuinely not just saying this to get a rise, but Pace's decision to fire Dyche took some serious cojones and it appears to have paid off in spades and may well have saved the club from relegation. This does now diminish what Dyche did for the club, indeed a lot of his qualities have been apparent in the last few games, but I think we'd reached THAT point and acted decisively. I can't imagine anybody expected these results but evidently something was up and we look like a different team now.

EDIT - Also, and I'm sounding like a broken record now, but we almost always look a better team with Jack Cork in it (and Brownhill looks a better player) and SD's seeming unwillingness to play him was baffling and indicative of blinkered tactical thinking.
I also think this run of results really harms Dyche's stock as a manger. Any potential employer must be wondering how we've won four games all season with him in charge, and suddenly won three on the bounce without him..

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun May 01, 2022 12:58 am

Everybody loved Dyche, Wile. Totally understandable you
(and, indeed me for a long time) should back him and give him every chance.
However, that can only go so far, and we were only going in one direction.
A change simply had to be made, and credit to the board to have the courage to do it.
We haven't achieved anything yet though, but we've given ourselves a fighting chance.
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

California Colner
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by California Colner » Sun May 01, 2022 1:06 am

It was time for a change Dyche has been great for our club.
We have the same players but we look a different team I just think he wouldn’t allow the forwards to attack. Look at McNeil he his driving at the defense know! When can you remember the last time he did that with Dyche in charged
I’m enjoying watching the games now👍

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun May 01, 2022 1:11 am

I just find it unfathomable. Cannot deny the change is one the most fascinating things in many a season. Im convinced other fans and pundits are similarly shellshocked.
Fans were top notch this aft too. What a following, and the scenes after the whistle were breathtaking.
This user liked this post: winsomeyen

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Sun May 01, 2022 1:16 am

I reckon the players had got a bit stale and were waiting for the manager to put it right. Then Dyche was gone and the players realised it was up to themselves to put it right. They had got too much into doing exactly what Dyche told them to, and now they can and must take more personal responsibilty for decision making.

Mike Jackson is doing the right thing by changing hardly anything tactically, just relying on the players doing what they do a bit better.
This user liked this post: Whitgord

California Colner
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by California Colner » Sun May 01, 2022 2:48 am

like WEC says unfathomable.
One think I will say is I look forward to watching the games now
When Sean was there it was a miserable to watch and left me wondering what’s happened to our team.
That’s why I didn’t understand the shock when Sean was fired most supporters on here thought it was the end of the world!
I for one thought it was the correct way forward irrelevant of which league we would be playing in next year, sleep walking to the championship was not what I wanted for our club!
Great result today!! Let’s hope there is more to come !!
I’ll always be a claret and there’s a lot of people on here are the same
We are BURNLEY FC
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2001 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun May 01, 2022 2:56 am

1 game at a time boys

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun May 01, 2022 6:35 am

In reality,
There has been little change in the starting personnel
There has been little change in the tactics - indeed some, like today playing Lennon left and McNeil right, was not working
The change has been in the attitude of the players
They are being allowed to express themselves instead of a rigid formation and negative attitude from Dyche
Jackson has encouraged this new ambiance within the squad and , no doubt, Ben Mee has had a lot to do with it
This current set up should be allowed to continue until the end of the season and , if we did go down so be it ,but we know it wouldn't have been for a lack of effort

This summer, however will be totally different no matter what league we are in
So many players out of contract, quite a few of whom should be let go, hence a big rebuilding job
That is going to need experience and not just of the club's ethos but, more importantly, football in the wider sense with regard to player recruitment

Jackson and the rest have done superbly but sentiment cannot rule and we need a new, more experienced manager this summer

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1150 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Post by Pearcey » Sun May 01, 2022 6:54 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 12:38 am

Jackson picked Westy as well. If it wasn’t for his horrendous injury he might’ve carried on picking him. Nothing can diminish what Dyche did for this club. He was an incredible manager.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sun May 01, 2022 8:07 am

Pearcey wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 6:54 am
Jackson picked Westy as well. If it wasn’t for his horrendous injury he might’ve carried on picking him. Nothing can diminish what Dyche did for this club. He was an incredible manager.
This. There’s no big mystery as to why Cork’s in the team and it’s not because Jackson sees something Dyche didn’t. It’s because the only alternative is Dale Stephens.

At the moment there’s nothing to suggest this is anything more than new manager bounce, very welcome as it is.
This user liked this post: Pearcey

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Sun May 01, 2022 8:29 am

Cork did not replace Westy at West Ham. He started the match. Brownhill came on in place of Westy.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Sun May 01, 2022 8:44 am

Sometimes a winning team is greater than the sum of its individual parts. Everybody as we saw again yesterday is working above and beyond.
I see Ben Mee and Michael Jackson working in tandem to inspire this team of ours, but everyone involved must be applauded for their efforts.
What a headline : A delighted Brownhill races to the other end of the pitch to applaud the fans, after scoring the winner.

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Sun May 01, 2022 8:46 am

Sometimes a winning team is greater than the sum of its individual parts. Everybody as we saw again yesterday is working above and beyond.
I see Ben Mee and Michael Jackson working in tandem to inspire this team of ours, but everyone involved must be applauded for their efforts.
What a headline : A delighted Brownhill races to the other end of the pitch to applaud the fans, after scoring the winner.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 01, 2022 9:12 am

Playing to win games and score goals now instead of sitting on a 0-0 and hoping to nick something.

Midfield is revitalised in recent weeks, although TBH Brownhill/Cork were starting to show signs of improvement at the tail end of Dyche's tenure.

When did both our CM'S last get on the scoresheet in one game, probably have to go back to the Defour days I'd guess.

Attitude is the big difference, we'd never have won that game under Sean, now we never know when we're beaten as the final 10 yesterday aptly demonstrated.

Big win for Jackson as well, Watford was his 1st taste of adversity, and he showed he can impact matches with subs that change games when needed.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun May 01, 2022 9:12 am

martin_p wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 8:07 am
This. There’s no big mystery as to why Cork’s in the team and it’s not because Jackson sees something Dyche didn’t. It’s because the only alternative is Dale Stephens.

At the moment there’s nothing to suggest this is anything more than new manager bounce, very welcome as it is.
Jackson brought Cork back in for the West Ham game before Westwood’s injury.

And yes, Westwood’s subsequent injury enforced matters but I don’t see how any of this negates the point we’re a better team with Cork in it and SD’s refusal to start him was an error.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 701 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun May 01, 2022 9:21 am

Yes, we do need to change a winning formula, but not in the way the op means.
Jackson is okay until the end of the season but he will need to tweak his tactics.
One of the reasons we won against Southampton and Wolves is that they didn't know what they were up against.
Under Dyche it was set in stone, every other manager knew exactly what was coming in every game.
Watford knew we were going to try and play on the deck through the centre to Weghorst and negated our tactics, Jackson went more direct and wider in the second half and Watford couldn't alter.
So the winning formula isn't a magic wand by playing on the deck to Weghorst its finding a way to win against a different opponent every match.