ARTICLE: New two year deal for Jay Rod

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Re: ARTICLE: New two year deal for Jay Rod

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed May 04, 2022 8:16 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 8:41 pm
Yes and how much will be play over the next 2 seasons given he’s 33 in a few months.
He’s been extended more with the championship in mind surely ? Where I think he’d do extremely well . We do need better in prem of course but he’d be a useful option imo
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2007 times
Has Liked: 3354 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed May 04, 2022 8:16 am

It's a strange one for me and it smacks of "insurance" should we go down. I suspect the club feel he'll still be very effective in the championship, but rather less so in the PL (as shown this season), but they've signed him up with one eye on the trap door. I'm guessing he'll be taking a reduction in wages if we do drop and he'll be a well paid fringe player if we stay up. Time will tell if this is good business for the club and I'm definitely unsure myself.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Wed May 04, 2022 8:44 am

tiger76 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:17 pm
Surprised at this news TBH, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the rest of our transfer business, however giving a 33 year old a 2 year deal hardly fits in with ALK'S model of building a younger squad does it, and I'd hope Jay is on a much reduced salary.

Now if retaining Jay allows us to get a CM in the building then fine I can see the thinking, and replacing all 10 OOC players was never likely whether folks desired it or not, for starters we simply don't have the required funds.

Jay has endured a barren spell, but in the past few months he's been a key member of the squad, and contributed vital assists and goals.
I agree with the above and you can read a lot into it but in terms of Jay - he is a good, clever player and will be a useful asset.

I suspect it is a sign of the reality the club faces in replacing decent but ageing players with younger alternatives. As the post above says, probably better to comment as we see more business conducted over the summer.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1706 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed May 04, 2022 9:41 am

For me it means securing a very loyal and intelligent player, albeit he is not quick. But more importantly it says we have a "happier camp", for someone who was supposedly looking at ending his career in the States, to tie down his future at our club.For me that "happy camp" will bode well in the next four games.

Mattster
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by Mattster » Wed May 04, 2022 12:41 pm

Happy with this. Only want(ed) us to retain Jay and Ben (obvs Tarks but we know that's not happening) from the current OOC bunch.

Think Jay's presence in the dressing room will be important during a high turnover of playing staff. Still offers plenty at PL level as a squad player and would bag plenty in the Championship, as he shows whenever he comes up against lower league opposition in cups. He's an allrounder that will be useful regardless of which manager we bring in and their style of play.

Any young strikers coming through will learn a lot from him too. No brainer for me.

ecc
Been Liked: 1443 times
Has Liked: 1290 times

Post by ecc » Wed May 04, 2022 1:17 pm

I was a bit surprised but as some people have said Jay has been looking significantly better these last few months. Getting his first goal in over a year against NW definitely helped him.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Wed May 04, 2022 2:15 pm

I'd have been more comfortable with a 1 year deal, or 1+1. I'm not convinced how much he offers on the pitch at this level anymore, at least for another season. In the Championship he'd still be a real asset but I can't honestly say I'd want him as anything above 3rd choice at best next season in the PL-and would hope his wages have reduced to match.
He might be great for the dressing room, fan morale etc. But he hasn't been great for goals for a while, fond of him as I am, and I think of the three OOC forwards Vydra would have been my priority- his goal record isn't stellar either but his pace and technique offer us something different that's difficult to replace on the cheap, and he's marginally younger.
If we go down I'd back Jay to do well but I can't help but question retaining him til 35. But my bigger question is who's calling the shots on player retention when we have no manager and what that really means for team selection going forward. Not a criticism per se just something I and I imagine fans/a new manager would like to know.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Wed May 04, 2022 3:14 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 6:15 am
Not trying to be rude, but in what world would you want Jay to drop deep. He’s not particularly great on the ball and he would get eaten alive in this league.

Again, if this wasn’t a lad from Burnley would anyone be remotely happy with this. I could understand it if we were relegated but why now when we have a chance of staying up.
Clearly you’ve never seen how in football players adapt their game to be effective as they get older. Watch the game. Read the game. Understand the game. Don’t just spout stats.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Wed May 04, 2022 3:18 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 2:15 pm
I'd have been more comfortable with a 1 year deal, or 1+1. I'm not convinced how much he offers on the pitch at this level anymore, at least for another season. In the Championship he'd still be a real asset but I can't honestly say I'd want him as anything above 3rd choice at best next season in the PL-and would hope his wages have reduced to match.
He might be great for the dressing room, fan morale etc. But he hasn't been great for goals for a while, fond of him as I am, and I think of the three OOC forwards Vydra would have been my priority- his goal record isn't stellar either but his pace and technique offer us something different that's difficult to replace on the cheap, and he's marginally younger.
If we go down I'd back Jay to do well but I can't help but question retaining him til 35. But my bigger question is who's calling the shots on player retention when we have no manager and what that really means for team selection going forward. Not a criticism per se just something I and I imagine fans/a new manager would like to know.
Some fair points here. Heart is super pleased - I like Jay and I do think he can still offer something with his ability to link play but from a critical Head perspective other than the first season back he's been struggling for form so it's a bit of a gamble in some ways.

To be positive though it does mean we have some experience in our forward line and its one less player we need to bring in immediately.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Wed May 04, 2022 4:12 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 3:18 pm
Some fair points here. Heart is super pleased - I like Jay and I do think he can still offer something with his ability to link play but from a critical Head perspective other than the first season back he's been struggling for form so it's a bit of a gamble in some ways.

To be positive though it does mean we have some experience in our forward line and its one less player we need to bring in immediately.
Absolutely, I'd rather this than not renew and have another pair of boots to fill, and if he could rediscover the old Jay it would be brilliant. Im just a little reserved about what the impact will be especially for that 2nd year.
I'd seek to renew Vydra, probably Cork, and above all else Ben Mee as well. Maybe, just maybe, Pieters and/or Lennon if his wages are affordable- he's shown flashes this season better than he has for years. But the only ones I'd want more than a year deal for are Mee and maybe Vydra. We can't replace 10 this summer but we can't rely on them indefinitely, renewing buys time but ideally the majority would also move down the line in selection. Unfortunately the reality is that you won't get them to renew for 1 year as reduced priority.
It's a tough situation to be in so I won't complain too much if a renewal isn't entirely to my liking.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Wed May 04, 2022 4:20 pm

9 green bottles, standing on a wall...

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Wed May 04, 2022 4:24 pm

This will likely be Jay’s LAST contract in English football- after it ends he’ll either retire or head off to the US and finish his career there. That he’s willing to commit it to us is nothing but good news. We know there’s going to be significant turnover in the next few transfer windows so having a solid ‘core’ to build around is essential.

We know he’s “one of our own” and he truly cares about the club. He’s also a great role model for younger players. He knows that he likely won’t be a guaranteed first team ‘pick’ and so he knows that a significant part of his role is going to be to be one of the ‘senior pros’ and help other players; whether that’s fitting into the club and understanding the unspoken rules and attitudes, mentoring U18/23 players in the way that Ade Akinbiyi did with him and all the other things that happen behind the scenes and that we don’t normally hear about.

As long as he and his family are happy, as long as he feels valued by the club and wants to be here then this new contract for him is just what’s needed.

Well done to the club for getting this sorted out in good time.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Thu May 05, 2022 7:50 am

No personal disrespect to any of the guys but I just hope, as well as being the first, he is one of the last

Next season will see

Mee - 33
Lowton - 33
Cork - 33
JBG - 32
Barnes - 33
Hennessey - 35
Stephens - 32
Lennon - 35
Westwood - 32
Jay - 33
Pieters - 34
Bardsley - 37
Long - 32

There's a starting eleven in that list

This age profile is unsustainable - even in the Championship

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1576 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu May 05, 2022 8:20 am

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 3:14 pm
Clearly you’ve never seen how in football players adapt their game to be effective as they get older. Watch the game. Read the game. Understand the game. Don’t just spout stats.
It’s not about stats. If you genuinely believe a 33 year old Jay is going to drop deeper and be effective in this league I suggest it is yourself that needs to understand the game.

Please with superior knowledge explain how his game will adapt?

Because I am pretty sure he will feature in probably 10-15 games next season from the bench, then the season after he will be like Stephens (only play when there’s absolutely no one else).

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1219 times
Has Liked: 7211 times

Post by Quicknick » Thu May 05, 2022 8:25 am

I would have given him one year.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3607 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu May 05, 2022 8:27 am

Quicknick wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:25 am
I would have given him one year.
That’s the only thing I have issue with, or a year with another in our favour/dependant on certain criteria. Rodriguez presumably had two year deals on offer from elsewhere though and this was the only way to get him to commit to Burnley - just a guess.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3169 times
Has Liked: 6775 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu May 05, 2022 9:09 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 7:50 am
No personal disrespect to any of the guys but I just hope, as well as being the first, he is one of the last

Next season will see

Mee - 33
Lowton - 33
Cork - 33
JBG - 32
Barnes - 33
Hennessey - 35
Stephens - 32
Lennon - 35
Westwood - 32
Jay - 33
Pieters - 34
Bardsley - 37
Long - 32

And the only OOC players on that list are Mee, Stephens, Pieters and Bardsley, with the possible addition of Cork and Barnes

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 05, 2022 9:16 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 7:50 am

Next season will see

Mee - 33
Lowton - 33
Cork - 33
JBG - 32
Barnes - 33
Hennessey - 35
Stephens - 32
Lennon - 35
Westwood - 32
Jay - 33
Pieters - 34
Bardsley - 37
Long - 32

Of those on the list, Bardsley and Stephens will surely be released, and Lennon and Pieters may well also be let go.

Of the others

The club have a 1 year option on Barnes, Cork is a 1 year option for him and the club, JBG has another year to run, as do Kev Long & Ash Westwood.

So many of those will still be at the club next season, and for me the key is striking a fine balance between retaining a core of experience well also integrating younger players into the squad.

Now given the dire financial news recently it's fairly certain we aren't going to be signing a load of new players, so if we could get 2 or 3 in that can push for a start that is likely to be the limit of our incomings.

Maybe we will see a few of the development squad more next season even if it's off the bench to compliment our squad numbers.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3169 times
Has Liked: 6775 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu May 05, 2022 9:41 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:09 am
And the only OOC players on that list are Mee, Stephens, Pieters and Bardsley, with the possible addition of Cork and Barnes
Sorry, I missed Lennon off the list. Also out of contract this summer

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Thu May 05, 2022 11:03 am

Wouldn't be surprised to see Lennon given another 12 months. Has to be the end for Stephens and Bardsley.

I'm a bit conflicted on Pieters. He's been nothing but solid for us and is actually a much better defender than Taylor imo, but he's no spring chicken and I'd expect he would be on big money (comparatively) so would like to see us try and get a young player in with re-sale value than invest another couple of years wages in an ageing pro.

Would happily trigger the extension for Cork. Barnes would depend on Vydra. I can't see us signing 2 strikers this summer, so if triggering Barnes' extension means we can stagger the purchases, or even give players like Richardson a bit more time to develop, then it may be worth doing - particularly if we end up going down.