Ben Mee

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
beddie
Been Liked: 1384 times
Has Liked: 512 times

Re: Ben Mee

Post by beddie » Wed May 25, 2022 11:21 am

Agree for Ben to stay would be a plus and of course a teacher for Collins who simply has to cut out these errors, that’s at least two penalties he’s given away.

Jambo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 240 times

Post by Jambo » Wed May 25, 2022 11:30 am

Taylor had a poor season and probably wouldn't have got back in the team had Pieters not got injured. That said, he should be one of the best LBs in the Championship.

As for Mee, the only concern I had about a Collins-Mee pairing was that they seemed a bit similar regarding strengths and weaknesses. Collins isn't quick (he's not slow when he gets going, but isn't rapid out of the blocks), neither is Mee, which means we might struggle to defend with a higher line. Initially Collins didn't seem great on the ball either. But he made huge strides with regular games, especially bringing the ball out when we used a back three, and can certainly play the Tarks role as the ball-player next to Mee.

I don't see Mee getting offers as a starter in the PL, other than maybe for a promoted club, so would expect him to stay which would be great news.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3845 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed May 25, 2022 11:44 am

Herts Clarets wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:17 am
Because Long and Collins were both tracking StMaximin and from where Tarks was looking the ball was into the player to his left (Longstaff possibly) who was unmarked. Had Tarks gone to Wilson it would have left Longstaff a clear run on goal from 12 yards out so he was absolutely right to deal with the immediate threat. Wilson is the player furthest to our left on the pitch, though fairly central due to the attack down our right, so i would expect Taylor to tuck in and track Wilson. Taylor is closer to Wilson than Tarks is. I don't think Tarks did anything wrong, unlike Taylor who threw the towel in.
https://youtu.be/FUsWvD4KubE?t=93
I have just watched the video of the goal again and the youtube clip starts at the move, With Taylor pressing beyond the midfield.
I stopped it every second or so to see the positions of our players and it's worse than I thought. Kevin Long is awful. Tarky plays the Newcastle lads on side by miles, 4 yards deeper. All defenders are looking at the ball instead of taking a position they can see ball and man.
Tarky shouldn't go to the ball until he has checked Taylor can cover his man.

Taylor has kept the same distance from Wilson most of the clip until the end, where he can make ground up when he slows to receive the pass.
Is Taylor quicker than Wilson?
Taylor despite not looking like he is running fast, makes more ground up than Cork or Brownhill.

I accept you can have a different opinion though.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed May 25, 2022 12:10 pm

:evil:
ClaretTony wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:13 am
Taylor has had some shockers in the last few weeks.
Yeah he does mix some excellent defending with lapses in positioning .Though on form against weaker opposition I’d expect him to be a top end championship wing back , he’s pretty quick too though Painfully one footed.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32243 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 25, 2022 1:08 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:10 pm
:evil:

Painfully one footed.
So is the bloke who played right back for Newcastle last Sunday but somehow it doesn’t seem to matter with right footers.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed May 25, 2022 1:11 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:08 pm
So is the bloke who played right back for Newcastle last Sunday but somehow it doesn’t seem to matter with right footers.
Tripps can pass the ball in field without having to turn his body into an awkward angle.

Taylor is another that can’t seem to even put the ball onto his right

Spike
Been Liked: 595 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Wed May 25, 2022 2:05 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:59 pm
I was told about 2-3 weeks ago that a new deal had been agreed
The communications from ALK are shocking . Much worse than before. No wonder there is so much mistrust

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Wed May 25, 2022 2:08 pm

Jambo wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:30 am
Taylor had a poor season and probably wouldn't have got back in the team had Pieters not got injured. That said, he should be one of the best LBs in the Championship.

As for Mee, the only concern I had about a Collins-Mee pairing was that they seemed a bit similar regarding strengths and weaknesses. Collins isn't quick (he's not slow when he gets going, but isn't rapid out of the blocks), neither is Mee, which means we might struggle to defend with a higher line. Initially Collins didn't seem great on the ball either. But he made huge strides with regular games, especially bringing the ball out when we used a back three, and can certainly play the Tarks role as the ball-player next to Mee.

I don't see Mee getting offers as a starter in the PL, other than maybe for a promoted club, so would expect him to stay which would be great news.
I tell you what, I'm not sure I've seen too many quicker centre backs than Collins recently. I'd say that's one of his greatest strengths.

I'd love us to keep Mee. If we can re-sign him, and keep hold of Collins and Brownhill (both of whom may attract interest but may be more amenable to staying than others), then a back four of Lowton/Roberts, Collins, Mee, Taylor (for all he's had an ordinary season, he'll be great in the Championship), with Brownhill and Cork (and possibly Westwood when/if fit), looks a pretty top-end Championship base to me. And any manager who comes in will have the benefit of that experienced core that knows what it's all about.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed May 25, 2022 2:16 pm

Spike wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:05 pm
The communications from ALK are shocking . Much worse than before. No wonder there is so much mistrust
Every single post you make is taking a dig at ALK. What communication do you want exactly? CT has been told a deal had been agreed, might be true, might not be. It will be reported if and when it’s confirmed. Give it a rest.

Jambo
Has Liked: 240 times

Post by Jambo » Wed May 25, 2022 3:30 pm

spice, Collins has very good recovery pace - he's chased down forwards I didn't expect him to a few times - but his initial acceleration isn't great if you compare him to the fastest defenders around. Hopefully he can add that as it's one of the very few things he's missing.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Wed May 25, 2022 4:16 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:44 am
Pieters came in at Arsenal and played the next seven games with only Liverpool beating us. I like Taylor but I think he’s had an awful season.
I totally agree with you, but if Taylor, as a younger model, is the way forward then Pieters just prevents a development player moving up the ladder.

Maybe the best result is for a Premier League team to make a decent offer for Charlie and then we have Erik plus a youngster who comes through a year later, Dodgson maybe.

The main point is that by keeping both Taylor and Pieters we will end up with another ageing squad and a load of inexperienced youngsters. We have to give them a try now and then or there is no point in investing in youth. If we dont invest in youth we will not compete
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

spt_claret
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Post by spt_claret » Wed May 25, 2022 4:41 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:44 am
Pieters came in at Arsenal and played the next seven games with only Liverpool beating us. I like Taylor but I think he’s had an awful season.
Couldn't agree more. Taylor's more eyecatching and you'd probably say on 1:1 is the better player- quicker, gets up and down the lines more and better, creates threats. But Pieters always makes us look better shape wise for me, and that includes going forward- his actual return is similar to Taylor and he is a bit more reserved, but this lets Cornet or McNeil or whoever push up more without worry about cover. We got lucky against West Ham at times because of how open we were leaving ourselves on the left.

Cork made obvious changes to our shape and playstyle but I think lots of people overlook Pieters role in that brief purple patch and how it was his absence as well as Corks that hit us. It's similar to Lowton and Roberts, one is more eyecatching and more of a modern fullback, one I think gives us better shape and actually better attacking output through this and his own playstyle (Lowton has a good deep cross on him).

Pieters is someone whose biggest strengths aren't what he obviously does on the ball but how he affects things off the ball. We looked different and generally better with him this season. Similar to why I rate Mee so highly- he's not an eye-catching centre back but when you really study him he's outstanding.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Wed May 25, 2022 4:58 pm

Jambo wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:30 pm
spice, Collins has very good recovery pace - he's chased down forwards I didn't expect him to a few times - but his initial acceleration isn't great if you compare him to the fastest defenders around. Hopefully he can add that as it's one of the very few things he's missing.
I think he's quick full stop, but not unlike Michael Keane who was also quick (although not as quick as Collins) I think if he currently looks slow off the mark, it's because he doesn't read the game, and therefore anticipate stuff, as well as he might. Suspect he might look quicker alongside Mee, who reads the game and communicates it to his playing partner brilliantly (and better than Tarkowski, not that that's a criticism). And I suspect Collins will develop that skill over time to a greater extent than Keane has managed.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Targetman
Been Liked: 502 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Wed May 25, 2022 5:14 pm

Collins has just turned 21 and is still learning to a degree, in my opinion playing alongside Ben Mee for any length of time would bring him on in leaps and bounds.

However thats just what I think, and despite his silly handball on Sunday I'm sure he will be a good asset for our club.

KlyBfc
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by KlyBfc » Wed May 25, 2022 8:57 pm

I know it’s gone off the thread slightly but the biggest person to blame for that second goal is Kevin Long. Absolutely shocking school boy defending leaves a huge gap that firstly Murphy then Wilson takes advantage of. Taylor not too dissimilar to Dwight isnt a speed merchant and often looks to be treading water. There’s no way on earth he is making ground on Wilson who’s running without the ball. Has he had a good season no but sometimes he again not too dissimilar to Dwight gets the greatest share of the blame for things that aren’t really his fault.

Ben Mee resigning is one of the keys to our promotion chances next year.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed May 25, 2022 9:05 pm

claretspice wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:58 pm
I think he's quick full stop, but not unlike Michael Keane who was also quick (although not as quick as Collins) I think if he currently looks slow off the mark, it's because he doesn't read the game, and therefore anticipate stuff, as well as he might. Suspect he might look quicker alongside Mee, who reads the game and communicates it to his playing partner brilliantly (and better than Tarkowski, not that that's a criticism). And I suspect Collins will develop that skill over time to a greater extent than Keane has managed.just
Normally a player like Nathan would be gradually introduced to the first team, bit like Tarks. Instead he was fast forwarded and played extensively in the second half of the season. The fact he made just two notable mistakes in all those games-the pen re Brentford and the handball on Sunday, tells me he has been a great acquisition. I think Sunday the immense pressure got to him. Life in the Championship will be a lot easier

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed May 25, 2022 9:12 pm

I'd imagine its just a case of waiting to make 100% sure he is in the new manager's plans, which, if it is Kompany, you would imagine he is.

Blakesboots
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 178 times

Post by Blakesboots » Wed May 25, 2022 9:16 pm

Spike wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:05 pm
If people on here also knew but didn’t report it, does that make their communication shocking? Do we mistrust them?

There’s a time for information to be released

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Wed May 25, 2022 9:20 pm

Who knows if we'll be playing three or four across the back next season, only the new manager I guess......