Cornet linked to Spurs

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: Cornet linked to Spurs

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed May 25, 2022 2:52 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:40 pm
You think his value has more than doubled in 9 months?
I think he's proven he can cut it in the PL, can score, create, run at defenders etc.
He's got CL experience, is only 25 and has 4yrs on his contract.
If we'd stayed up we would've been under no obligation to take the relegation release clause amount.

I know it's fashionable to down talk our players and undervalue them but I consider that to be a small minded mentality to do so.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed May 25, 2022 3:21 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:52 pm
I think he's proven he can cut it in the PL, can score, create, run at defenders etc.
If we'd stayed up we would've been under no obligation to take the relegation release clause amount.

I know it's fashionable to down talk our players and undervalue them but I consider that to be a small minded mentality to do so.
I’m not talking down our players, I just think it’s fanciful that someone we bought for around £13m just 9 months ago is now worth £30m+.

He may well attract interest with a reported release fee of £17.5m, but then again I’d be amazed if the interest was from top four sides, because he doesn’t look anywhere near that level to me.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Wed May 25, 2022 3:26 pm

I'd be very surprised if he went to Spurs and this talk of him playing wing back is ridiculous - I know he was there at Lyon but I've not seen much evidence of him being able to do that in England - he doesn't really play as a wide player when he plays out wide. He tends to drift inside.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed May 25, 2022 3:31 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:21 pm
I’m not talking down our players, I just think it’s fanciful that someone we bought for around £13m just 9 months ago is now worth £30m+.

He may well attract interest with a reported release fee of £17.5m, but then again I’d be amazed if the interest was from top four sides, because he doesn’t look anywhere near that level to me.
Michael Keane went from £3 million to £30 million in just two years.

If a club like Spurs is wanting to sign Cornet and we hadn't been relegated then we could demand £30 million easily, Spurs have spent that on players who haven't been worth that before

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed May 25, 2022 3:41 pm

Cornet struggles to beat a man but his movement is good, he can find a pass etc. I think he would thrive in a better team, someone will get a bargain

Longsidejono
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Longsidejono » Wed May 25, 2022 3:47 pm

Love max for us but i think he would get found out at spurs if Lucas moura is on the bench every week that’s the standard he’s going to, bar the goals he didn’t actually do that much no strength, link up play went down like a sack of spuds love you max

Gp8419
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by Gp8419 » Wed May 25, 2022 3:51 pm

As much as cornet can be frustrating he does have that special talent of finding a special moment, the goal on Sunday is tremendous technique really. We are a bit daft us Burnley fans we wish for foreign talent and then we call for him not to get in the 11 at times me included. But when you think about it he’s scored 10 goals and he’s hardly been on the pitch benched, injured Etc.When you consider McNeil as been miles better on the eye than him backend he still hasn’t contributed goal wise. Some talent is cornet he would of scored 20 in a full season at the rate.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 497 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Wed May 25, 2022 5:39 pm

Rileybobs wrote:

9 months ago he had never played in the premier league and was being used as a wing back. I'd argue he's now proven he's an attacking player who has adapted well and got a good return in his first season, he still looks a little raw at times and I think there will be more to come. I think had we stopped up we'd easily be asking around the 30m mark.
How much do you think Collins value has increased in the last 9 months?
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed May 25, 2022 5:48 pm

Conroy92 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 5:39 pm
9 months ago he had never played in the premier league and was being used as a wing back. I'd argue he's now proven he's an attacking player who has adapted well and got a good return in his first season, he still looks a little raw at times and I think there will be more to come. I think had we stopped up we'd easily be asking around the 30m mark.
I agree.

Although I think Cornet would have far less suitors at £30m than at £17.5m. Stating the obvious but o think for the top PL clubs you need to really want a player for £30m whereas at £17.5m they can probably buy him to strengthen their squads.

bumba
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 192 times

Post by bumba » Wed May 25, 2022 5:51 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 5:48 pm
I agree.

Although I think Cornet would have far less suitors at £30m than at £17.5m. Stating the obvious but o think for the top PL clubs you need to really want a player for £30m whereas at £17.5m they can probably buy him to strengthen their squads.
He was linked to Leeds before he signed for us, Raphinha looking more likely to join Barca now so I wouldn't be too surprised to see Cornet snapped up by Leeds at that price with money to spare elsewhere

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed May 25, 2022 5:52 pm

Really hoping a few things.

1. Reduced fee is all payable up front, which may mean it’s not triggered or at least we have the cash for debt repayment/investment if it is.

2. No bids before our season restarts (or he holds off to assess all his options) so we a) get to see him in a Burnley shirt again, and b) have him to help get off to a decent start.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed May 25, 2022 5:54 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:52 pm

Small minded or realistic? I said £20m-£25m for Mcneil, you said £40m+.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed May 25, 2022 6:23 pm

Conroy92 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 5:39 pm
No idea why Collins’ value is relevant, but he was bought for roughly the same cost as Cornet, and I also don’t think he’d command a fee of anywhere near £30m either.

At the end of the day we’ll never find out so this is all supposition, but if a team has a £30m budget for a player I doubt they’d be in the market for Cornet. I’d be surprised if a top ten side come in for him, even at £17.5m.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Wed May 25, 2022 6:33 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:23 pm
No idea why Collins’ value is relevant, but he was bought for roughly the same cost as Cornet, and I also don’t think he’d command a fee of anywhere near £30m either.

At the end of the day we’ll never find out so this is all supposition, but if a team has a £30m budget for a player I doubt they’d be in the market for Cornet. I’d be surprised if a top ten side come in for him, even at £17.5m.
May be a bit too soon but if and when Collins is sold, it’ll be for considerably more than 30 million.
These 2 users liked this post: Guller Bull GodIsADeeJay81

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 763 times
Has Liked: 1001 times

Post by Guller Bull » Wed May 25, 2022 6:33 pm

But imagine Max and Wout finding their feet in English football next season with 40+ goals between them. Jay to to bag another 10+ with Vydra to join the line up later in the season!!!

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed May 25, 2022 6:50 pm

I think some are thinking about Cornet's contract back to front. Burnley seek to sign Maxwell from Lyon. We are a Premier League club in August 2021. We propose his contract includes a relegation clause. From Cornet's point of view, his big wage rise from coming to the Premier League may disappear if Burnley are relegated at the end of the season. And, from what we heard at the time a club in Germany were also aiming to sign him. So, to "square this circle" a low release clause, if Burnley relegated, is agreed in his contract. The release is higher than the fee agreed with Lyon, but not so big that Maxwel is concerned it won't be attractive to a "good" Premier League club. Burnley got Maxwel Cornet's services for 1 season. OK, it didn't work out in keeping the club in the Premier League. The club sells him on and banks a little more than paid for him. That's not bad "player trading" - better that than not signing him. Good luck to Maxwel Cornet. I hope he goes to Spurs. He's got Champions League experience. That's something that Spurs need.
These 2 users liked this post: Guller Bull GodIsADeeJay81

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Wed May 25, 2022 7:08 pm

Win win. Still think Max will stay but even if he doesn't - good luck and Thank you.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 497 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Thu May 26, 2022 2:18 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:23 pm

:D :D you stated a player in 9 months is unlikely to have doubled/trebled in value. I give you Nathan Collins who is certainly worth double than we paid!!

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu May 26, 2022 2:24 pm

Conroy92 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:18 pm
:D :D you stated a player in 9 months is unlikely to have doubled/trebled in value. I give you Nathan Collins who is certainly worth double than we paid!!
I doubt very much that we'll be offered £25m for Nathan Collins this summer.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu May 26, 2022 2:28 pm

Rileybobs wrote:

When was the last time you saw a player move for 30m and you thought, yeah he's worth it?

I think Dennis at Watford was bought for 3m and likely to be sold for 30m. He only scored around the 10 mark I think.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu May 26, 2022 2:37 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:28 pm
When was the last time you saw a player move for 30m and you thought, yeah he's worth it?

I think Dennis at Watford was bought for 3m and likely to be sold for 30m. He only scored around the 10 mark I think.
I'm not sure where we're really going with this. Of course there will be examples of players doubling their value in the space of a season - clearly this would be more likely with a low value signing such as the £3m you quote for Dennis.

I don't think that anyone would currently pay £25m for Collins or £30m for Cornet. We won't find out with Cornet if rumours of his release fee are correct, but we'll see about Collins.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by boyyanno » Thu May 26, 2022 2:47 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:37 pm
I'm not sure where we're really going with this. Of course there will be examples of players doubling their value in the space of a season - clearly this would be more likely with a low value signing such as the £3m you quote for Dennis.

I don't think that anyone would currently pay £25m for Collins or £30m for Cornet. We won't find out with Cornet if rumours of his release fee are correct, but we'll see about Collins.
Collins is younger and already looks a much better player than Michael Keane who we got 25 million for over 5 years ago. Why is he worth less?

What would you value him at?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu May 26, 2022 2:57 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:47 pm
Collins is younger and already looks a much better player than Michael Keane who we got 25 million for over 5 years ago. Why is he worth less?

What would you value him at?
I wouldn't say he looks a much better player than Michael Keane, but each to their own. As a direct comparison with Keane, Keane was a regular starter in the Premier League for a full season for a team which avoided relegation and was nominated for PFA young player of the year. Collins looks a very good prospect but certainly not 'much worse' than Keane.

In terms of value, it's hard to say. I just don't think his value will have doubled after just 19 games at this level. I may be proved wrong, and we'll see if anyone offers to buy him for £25m this summer.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu May 26, 2022 3:17 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:37 pm

I was just trying to find out if you don't think many players are worth high fees, or just our players?

boyyanno
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by boyyanno » Thu May 26, 2022 3:19 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:57 pm
I wouldn't say he looks a much better player than Michael Keane, but each to their own. As a direct comparison with Keane, Keane was a regular starter in the Premier League for a full season for a team which avoided relegation and was nominated for PFA young player of the year. Collins looks a very good prospect but certainly not 'much worse' than Keane.

In terms of value, it's hard to say. I just don't think his value will have doubled after just 19 games at this level. I may be proved wrong, and we'll see if anyone offers to buy him for £25m this summer.
I appreciate that it's just my opinion that Collins looks to be a better prospect than Keane. I don't think anyone will offer to buy him for 25m right now but I'd argue that given the length of his contract and age people would probably know we would want more so that may be why.

Be very interesting to see where he ends up and for what money, but in my time watching Burnley I personally think he's the best young CH I've seen since Gary Cahill.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu May 26, 2022 3:24 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 3:17 pm
I was just trying to find out if you don't think many players are worth high fees, or just our players?
Whether or not a player plays for us doesn't affect my judgement on their value. Pope's our best player, but even his value is diminished by virtue of him being a goalkeeper. I doubt anyone else would fetch over £20m currently.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu May 26, 2022 3:25 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 3:19 pm
I appreciate that it's just my opinion that Collins looks to be a better prospect than Keane. I don't think anyone will offer to buy him for 25m right now but I'd argue that given the length of his contract and age people would probably know we would want more so that may be why.

Be very interesting to see where he ends up and for what money, but in my time watching Burnley I personally think he's the best young CH I've seen since Gary Cahill.
Looks a great prospect for sure.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu May 26, 2022 3:29 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:24 pm
It seems unlikely, but then Arsenal paid £50m for Ben White. He wasn't so much more experienced than Collins.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu May 26, 2022 3:32 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:57 pm

I agree with you BUT Ben Godfrey went to Everton for 20 million + add ons - he had one season in the PL for Norwich and was absolute garbage (he's not improved). I don't think we will be looking to sell him anyway

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu May 26, 2022 3:41 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 3:29 pm
It seems unlikely, but then Arsenal paid £50m for Ben White. He wasn't so much more experienced than Collins.
I think we massively under rate/value our players on here.

If you think £25m for a fantastic young prospect with at least 10 years ahead of him at the top level is effectively like paying £2.5m per year for his services, that doesn’t feel a lot for a PL team. Plus you have players like White/Ramsdale going for £40-£50m setting the going rate in a league where revenues will be increasing.

I personally expect to lose Pope & Cornet, remain hopeful of keeping the rest on the basis that I can’t see any value whatsoever to ALK of decimating the team to such an extent we make it hard to bounce back.

But I’m certain the Americans won’t sell our assets off on the cheap (notwithstanding release clauses). They’ll drive a hard bargain.

I just hope that with the seasons start just a few months away, and most big PL deals occurring towards the end of the window, we get to go in to the season pretty much as we ended it!

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu May 26, 2022 4:15 pm

The very reliable Mike McGrath (first to break the Kompany news) saying that Everton and West Ham showing interest in snapping up MC.

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Thu May 26, 2022 4:36 pm

Swap for Gordon?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 26, 2022 4:43 pm

Guller Bull wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:36 pm
Swap for Gordon?
What that diving cheat, no thanks.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Thu May 26, 2022 4:43 pm

Guller Bull wrote:
Swap for Gordon?
:?: Why would Everton swap their best player

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Thu May 26, 2022 4:44 pm

Yup but would be our diving cheat Tigger!

AwayClaret
Been Liked: 163 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by AwayClaret » Thu May 26, 2022 4:44 pm

Guller Bull wrote:
Swap for Gordon?
Flash?

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Thu May 26, 2022 4:45 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:43 pm
:?: Why would Everton swap their best player
Because they would be getting MAXWEL CORNET!!!

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 26, 2022 4:54 pm

Guller Bull wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:44 pm
Yup but would be our diving cheat Tigger!
Maybe so but he's still a cheat, and it's crazy because with his talent if he stayed on his feet more he'd be a far better player.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Thu May 26, 2022 5:02 pm

AwayClaret wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:44 pm
Flash?
Gordons alive?? :)

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Thu May 26, 2022 5:09 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:54 pm
Maybe so but he's still a cheat, and it's crazy because with his talent if he stayed on his feet more he'd be a far better player.
Agreed and I hate it but we have become acclimatised to PL shenanigins. We have trained "Our Ash" "Popey" and others to do what chokes the **** out of the game. Now we will have no VAR and it's going to be raw. Talent is talent but now we can concentrate on that because you ain't getting no favours from fannying around.

That said - Gordon is a talent.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Sat May 28, 2022 5:49 pm

Cornet on Instagram...
Attachments
FT2JsFjWQAAvBOj.jpeg.jpg
FT2JsFjWQAAvBOj.jpeg.jpg (106.04 KiB) Viewed 1634 times

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat May 28, 2022 5:52 pm

His use of 'we' points to staying

But then Burnley will regain their place points to him not being here

But...he is foreign and just learning the language, so any experts reading into his words, good luck with that ha ha

Personally think he will stay, this small town club, that is sneered at by so many seems to have a wonderful charm to it which players love

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sat May 28, 2022 6:23 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:52 pm

But...he is foreign and just learning the language, so any experts reading into his words, good luck with that ha ha

Personally think he will stay, this small town club, that is sneered at by so many seems to have a wonderful charm to it which players love
He's linked with half of the Prem. Might like it here but 1. We owe money on his transfer 2. We need his larger wages off the books 3. Need to pay off some of the loan. He'll be gone within 2 weeks.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat May 28, 2022 6:27 pm

Disagree that we deserve to be in the elite of English football, if that was the case we wouldn't have suffered relegation, and no club should assume they have the right to be in the PL, that position has to be earned on merit alone.

As for whether he'll stay or not I have my doubts, but then I'm often wrong making these predictions.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat May 28, 2022 6:39 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:23 pm
He's linked with half of the Prem. Might like it here but 1. We owe money on his transfer 2. We need his larger wages off the books 3. Need to pay off some of the loan. He'll be gone within 2 weeks.

Get shut we can't afford him

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sat May 28, 2022 7:05 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:52 pm

As far as Cornet is concerned, he's staying unless and until he gets a better offer. Not a criticism, that's how it is in football. So at present he is staying for next season and is tweeting accordingly. Tomorrow it may be different.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Sun May 29, 2022 3:53 am

He would never feature in Spurs' first eleven.
This user liked this post: Pearcey

TopCat
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by TopCat » Sun May 29, 2022 9:30 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:24 pm
If Ben White was £50 million what Collins?

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:35 am

TopCat wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:30 am
If Ben White was £50 million what Collins?
To be fair that’s a similar comparison. But I do agree with RileyBobs. If we sell Collins for 25m we will have made more than half million profit for very game he played for us. (Crazy figures when you think about it).

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun May 29, 2022 9:37 am

Re player valuations they are impossible to predict.

Who would have thought at Christmas that anyone would offer £25 Million for Wood and put him on circ £100k per week?