Daily Mail

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Re: Daily Mail

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:31 am

Off course if that’s helps you sleep better go for it.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri May 27, 2022 8:35 am

RVclaret wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:43 am
He is, funnily enough I have recently clocked his twitter account. I don’t know why it took so long, as I noticed this particular user on the twitterclarets hashtag a while back, and noted how he chose to argue with almost every Claret post there is. Now I’ve put 2 and 2 together and realised the drivel he posts here is the exact same on twitter.
:lol: I have wondered actually but not clocked it myself. I am not on twitter but regularly search #twitterclarets for info.

@Newcastle - I won’t try and convince you - because if you can’t see it as sensationalist click bait claptrap, I’m sure I can’t change your mind - but if you look at the comments on that article, most of them are calling out the poor journalism and negative position it has taken. Not all Burnley fans either, one bloke from Leeds saying he’s impressed Kompany isn’t taking a gimme and wishing him luck.

That article could have focussed on how good it would be to have an English football great back in the country plying his trade… how it may be a sign the extent of our financial difficulties have been misreported… how we’ve followed our successful path of appointing young hungry managers with something to prove… how his ethos and values were similar to Dyche so a good fit for Burnley… how the OOC situation gives a good opportunity for financial reset and rebuild… how his status and links will likely attract good talent… or how he knows the area so will settle quickly and is low risk from that perspective.

But nope, it went for a headline and story of “does Kompany know what he’s getting himself in for?” which is actually quite insulting for a bloke who is clearly very bright, articulate and hugely successful in the game. I bet that journo won’t achieve as much as he has in his chosen career if he keeps writing articles like that.
These 2 users liked this post: RVclaret Juan Tanamera

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:42 am

NewClaret wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:35 am
:lol: I have wondered actually but not clocked it myself. I am not on twitter but regularly search #twitterclarets for info.

@Newcastle - I won’t try and convince you - because if you can’t see it as sensationalist click bait claptrap, I’m sure I can’t change your mind - but if you look at the comments on that article, most of them are calling out the poor journalism and negative position it has taken. Not all Burnley fans either, one bloke from Leeds saying he’s impressed Kompany isn’t taking a gimme and wishing him luck.

That article could have focussed on how good it would be to have an English football great back in the country plying his trade… how it may be a sign the extent of our financial difficulties have been misreported… how we’ve followed our successful path of appointing young hungry managers with something to prove… how his ethos and values were similar to Dyche so a good fit for Burnley… how the OOC situation gives a good opportunity for financial reset and rebuild… how his status and links will likely attract good talent… or how he knows the area so will settle quickly and is low risk from that perspective.

But nope, it went for a headline and story of “does Kompany know what he’s getting himself in for?” which is actually quite insulting for a bloke who is clearly very bright, articulate and hugely successful in the game. I bet that journo won’t achieve as much as he has in his chosen career if he keeps writing articles like that.
They are all good points and I agree with some of them.

I just don’t see what the article has got so inaccurate that it can be called drivel? All it’s done is highlight the key points that most Burnley fans know, that probably not a lot of its general reader base don’t know.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Fri May 27, 2022 8:56 am

RVclaret wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:43 am
He is, funnily enough I have recently clocked his twitter account. I don’t know why it took so long, as I noticed this particular user on the twitterclarets hashtag a while back, and noted how he chose to argue with almost every Claret post there is. Now I’ve put 2 and 2 together and realised the drivel he posts here is the exact same on twitter.
Jordan Rushworth?

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Fri May 27, 2022 8:56 am

agreenwood wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:56 am
Jordan Rushworth?
No - but he’s another very negative one.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri May 27, 2022 8:58 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:42 am
They are all good points and I agree with some of them.

I just don’t see what the article has got so inaccurate that it can be called drivel? All it’s done is highlight the key points that most Burnley fans know, that probably not a lot of its general reader base don’t know.
I would say because:

- it started with a sensationalist headline that is quite insulting to someone as successful as Kompany.
- it then contained inaccuracies/typos.
- it was very one-sided and negative about both parties.
- it failed to provide any “balance” as set out above, or in other words, any objectivity. It looked at the situation through one (pessimist) lens and failed to counter that with any alternative perspective.

I feel sorry for the journalist. He probably has to write this ****e to get paid and build his career, which is unfortunate for him, but like most of what is published in the mail it’s not good quality journalism.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 27, 2022 9:00 am

F**ks sake

We are going to be fine for one or two season at this level

Unless we go up in Year 1 or Year 2, then we are f**ked*

If that is what the Daily Mail are saying, then they are correct

If this isn't what the Daily Mail are saying, then they are wrong

*assuming no external investment

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Fri May 27, 2022 9:03 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:00 am
F**ks sake

If we’ve paid all / most of the debt off after year 2, we aren’t ‘f**cked’, in my opinion. We’d have to sell our best players but hopefully this is where Kompany / ALK can excel, by doing some smart, low cost recruitment with decent sell on potential. We’d have to keep trimming the wage bill in line with reduction in TV money. We’d end up like a Swansea now, not the end of the world and not f**ked.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 27, 2022 9:05 am

RVclaret wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:03 am
If we’ve paid all / most of the debt off after year 2, we aren’t ‘f**cked’, in my opinion. We’d have to sell our best players but hopefully this is where Kompany / ALK can excel, by doing some smart, low cost recruitment with decent sell on potential. We’d have to keep trimming the wage bill in line with reduction in TV money. We’d end up like a Swansea now, not the end of the world and not f**ked.
I think its very optimistic to think we can clear our debt by selling players

What I would hope is that we are very active in the free transfer market this summer, and that we sign players that we will be able to sell on, and that could postpone us being f**ked to possibly Year 3 or even Year 4

(and of course, such players enable us to make a real challenge for promotion as well, and is I think this is where someone like Kompany is a real asset in attracting them)

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3591 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Fri May 27, 2022 9:09 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:00 am
F**ks sake

Even then, after two years we're only f*cked if Alan Pace decides to gamble further this season and chase his losses (i.e, get promotion at all costs, with further loans/renegotiation of payment terms and not using the money from Pope, Cornet, McNeil, Weghorst etc to pay back money owed but instead to buy further players on the never never). Assuming he does the honourable, sensible thing that anyone with an ounce of intelligence would do in his situation and pays off the MSD loan as a priority (rather than trying to 'buy' a promotion that is never guaranteed), then we are fine.

I have to believe he will do that.

Assuming he does what must be done, then we can slowly return to being a sustainable, well run club with a manager in place with a track record of bringing through youth. It might takes us a number of years to be in a promotion situation again (if ever) but at least the club would be back on a safe footing and not reliant upon TV money that it may never get again.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 27, 2022 9:10 am

jedi_master wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:09 am
Even then, after two years we're only f*cked if Alan Pace decides to gamble further this season and chase his losses (i.e, get promotion at all costs, with further loans/renegotiation of payment terms and not using the money from Pope, Cornet, McNeil, Weghorst etc to pay back money owed but instead to buy further players on the never never). Assuming he does the honourable, sensible thing that anyone with an ounce of intelligence would do in his situation and pays off the MSD loan as a priority (rather than trying to 'buy' a promotion that is never guaranteed), then we are fine.

I have to believe he will do that.

Assuming he does what must be done, then we can slowly return to being a sustainable, well run club with a manager in place with a track record of bringing through youth. It might takes us a number of years to be in a promotion situation again (if ever) but at least the club would be back on a safe footing and not reliant upon TV money that it may never get again.
How does Alan Pace make money in that scenario?

Les Lawrence
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by Les Lawrence » Fri May 27, 2022 9:11 am

What a miserable post from Lancaster. We're ****** what ever happens according to him, doom and gloom.
These 2 users liked this post: RVclaret Jörmungandr

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Fri May 27, 2022 9:12 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:10 am
How does Alan Pace make money in that scenario?
Well quite - I was being facetious in my post by implying that Alan Pace will do the 'honourable, sensible' thing.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 27, 2022 9:14 am

Les Lawrence wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:11 am
What a miserable post from Lancaster. We're ****** what ever happens according to him, doom and gloom.
Er, no

Promotion back to the premier league allows us to reset the debt, and continued survival in the premier league allows us to grow and build (like in the past six years)

All I'm doing is painting a picture of what losing the parachute payments and more than two or three years in the championship will do to a football club with no external investment to help it break even

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 27, 2022 9:15 am

Said before on here

I deal in reality, I don't deal in fantasy dream solutions that so many of you (in more than just football) appear to spend way too much time believing in

I can't help you if you want to pretend something is great when it isn't

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Fri May 27, 2022 9:19 am

Les Lawrence wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:11 am
That isn't a miserable post, it's realistic - and yes, it's not nice to talk about and easier to ignore, but it's the reality.

Alan Pace has two options (as I see it) right now:

1) Pay off the MSD loan as a priority, make the club sustainable by selling all sellable talent (McNeil, Pope, Cornet, Weghorst, Brownhill) and get that weight off our shoulders. Become a sustainable club reliant on youth prospects from the U23's, and free transfers, loans and young prospects from lower leagues. Kompany has a record of bringing through youth, and his hook ups at Man City might help with loans. There are good free transfers on the market this summer also. We may not be in the promotion mix doing this, it might take us a season or two if not never, but at least we're on a good footing.

2) Alan Pace chases back his loss by renegotiating the MSD loan terms (possibly agreeing a pushback of 12 months or something) and pours the parachute money and transfer revenue from Pope and Cornet into the first team, allowing Kompany an absolute war chest to assault this division. We could go up as Champions, and all is rosy and perfect again financially - or we don't, and then we are (make no mistake) - f*cked.

It's going to be interesting whether we do one or the other...

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 27, 2022 9:21 am

jedi_master wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:19 am
That isn't a miserable post, it's realistic - and yes, it's not nice to talk about and easier to ignore, but it's the reality.

1) Pay off the MSD loan as a priority, make the club sustainable by selling all sellable talent (McNeil, Pope, Cornet, Weghorst, Brownhill) and get that weight off our shoulders. Become a sustainable club reliant on youth prospects from the U23's, and free transfers, loans and young prospects from lower leagues. Kompany has a record of bringing through youth, and his hook ups at Man City might help with loans. There are good free transfers on the market this summer also. We may not be in the promotion mix doing this, it might take us a season or two if not never, but at least we're on a good footing.

2) Alan Pace chases back his loss by renegotiating the MSD loan terms (possibly agreeing a pushback of 12 months or something) and pours the parachute money and transfer revenue from Pope and Cornet into the first team, allowing Kompany an absolute war chest to assault this division. We could go up as Champions, and all is rosy and perfect again financially - or we don't, and then we are (make no mistake) - f*cked.

Worth mentioning that there is no way Kompany is coming if its option 1 btw

aggi
Been Liked: 2113 times

Post by aggi » Fri May 27, 2022 9:22 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:22 am
Rv if you don’t think the club is in financial turmoil your blinkered.

Derby are not in turmoil they are in crisis/brink of not existing. Bournemouth have a multimillionaire owner that’s why they are in not in the same position or worse in your opinion.

Ok please highlight exactly where In the accounts it states that wages for players will drop by X amount/percentage?

It’s not a negative outlook it is just realistic.
The accounts are pretty clear.

In this scenario the group has forecast a significant reduction in wages and salaries, which will be largely achieved by contractual means existing in player and employee contracts.

I think the most entertaining part of the article is the journalist attempting to talk about the last few years of Anderlecht whilst having no idea how they've been doing until he came to write this article.

Les Lawrence
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by Les Lawrence » Fri May 27, 2022 9:24 am

Let's just enjoy the ride, instead of constant criticism of the new board. Who knows what will happen? We've always been a selling club,punching above our weight.

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Fri May 27, 2022 9:24 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:21 am
Worth mentioning that there is no way Kompany is coming if its option 1 btw
I'm inclined to agree. He has already shown he is willing to roll the dice when it's a crunch moment by sacking Dyche at the time he did it, which was a gutsy move which almost paid off.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 27, 2022 9:29 am

Les Lawrence wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:24 am
Let's just enjoy the ride, instead of constant criticism of the new board. Who knows what will happen? We've always been a selling club,punching above our weight.
All I'm doing is highlighting what happens if we don't go up

That doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy us being very competitive for the next couple of seasons and having a manager with the profile of Kompany will help massively in that

Course, it would also help if he's a massive success as a manager as well!

aggi
Been Liked: 2113 times

Post by aggi » Fri May 27, 2022 9:29 am

jedi_master wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:19 am

I think there's an option 3.

Use player trading to pay off a hefty chunk of the MSD loan and stabilise this year then use the parachute payments to maintain a significant wage bill for promotion either this year or the second year.

The trouble with Option 1 is that it isn't just a few clubs breaking the bank in the Championship, it's almost all of them. There's a chance that we could be the well managed and successful exception but it's very tough. I've posted this before but it's probably worth a reminder. If we want to go up the most likely time is when we're capitalising on the parachute payments (but there is the risk of not going up by the time they have finished).

These 2 users liked this post: jedi_master Lancasterclaret

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Fri May 27, 2022 9:33 am

aggi wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:29 am
I think there's an option 3.

Use player trading to pay off a hefty chunk of the MSD loan and stabilise this year then use the parachute payments to maintain a significant wage bill for promotion either this year or the second year.

The trouble with Option 1 is that it isn't just a few clubs breaking the bank in the Championship, it's almost all of them. There's a chance that we could be the well managed and successful exception but it's very tough. I've posted this before but it's probably worth a reminder. If we want to go up the most likely time is when we're capitalising on the parachute payments (but there is the risk of not going up by the time they have finished).

I totally agree Aggi, and it's a real toss of the coin decision that we're at really. We'll undoubtedly never have a better shot at promotion than this coming season as we could (easily) outspend anybody else and we may by the looks of things have a manager that could be an attractive proposition for signings also.

It's just the massive 'if' of what happens should we not manage it.

I think Pace will gamble as there is little comeback on him financially if we fail to go up, he's already lost his stake (whatever it was) either way. It stands to reason he will absolutely go for it this season, lets just hope it works and we don't have to have all of the threads about our finances next summer.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri May 27, 2022 9:49 am

Plenty of bickering girls 😊😊
This user liked this post: Newcastleclaret93

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri May 27, 2022 10:30 am

Top Claret wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:49 am
Plenty of bickering girls 😊😊
Haha your probably right. There’s only one thing in the world that makes lads argue like this and it’s the emotions of football.