Trooping the Colour!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Re: Trooping the Colour!

Post by fatboy47 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:54 am

Jamesy wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:14 pm
No, please tell me.

Well, I'd suggest you read Spirals post from last night..its a brilliantly written, reasoned breakdown of how a range of attitudes to royalty and patronage in general can develop.

In comparison you sound like a grunting trog that's been listening to the likes of Farage and reading crap in the Sun...and has learned to repeat the kind of populist drivel that the elite have used for decades to ensure you remain in your non-thinking angry little world.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:59 am

I really don't know how some of you sleep at night.
Seriously, some of you need to chill, man.

Joe14
Been Liked: 252 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:09 am

2 Bee Holed wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:59 am
I really don't know how some of you sleep at night.
Seriously, some of you need to chill, man.
Keyboard warriors. This board is literally some people’s whole life!! For every poster that talks sense there’s another 3 that don’t.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 791 times
Has Liked: 526 times

Post by Jamesy » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:11 am

fatboy47 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:54 am
Well, I'd suggest you read Spirals post from last night..its a brilliantly written, reasoned breakdown of how a range of attitudes to royalty and patronage in general can develop.

In comparison you sound like a grunting trog that's been listening to the likes of Farage and reading crap in the Sun...and has learned to repeat the kind of populist drivel that the elite have used for decades to ensure you remain in your non-thinking angry little world.
Looking at the above I would suggest the only person who is angry is you fat lad. So now you have stereotyped me by suggesting that I read the Sun and listen to Nigel Farage just because I put my head above the parapet and stated that I am a patriot and Royalist, and not keen on lefties. I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned Tommy Robinson also in your rant?
For the record I wouldn’t go anywhere near the Sun newspaper. In fact I wouldn’t even wipe my @rse with it.
Go and have a blood pressure tablet and a lie down, you can check your cholesterol later.
This user liked this post: Top Claret

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:34 am

This was a thread just started to say that the marching and music looked nice!
These 3 users liked this post: Steve1956 tiger76 longsidepies

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:36 am

Burnley Ace wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:34 am
Pmsl

2 Bee Holed

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:15 am

Burnley Ace wrote:
:lol:
Yes, well I don't think it was nice, and it was all caused by the Aristocracy seizing the pheasant's land, at some point in history. Which apparently was less than 600 years ago. It might even have been at the time of the Jacobite rebellions, but I'm not sure. :o
:lol: :lol: :roll:

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:04 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:29 am
There is no such thing as any power that the institution of the Monarchy has over any of us. There hasn't been since Oliver Cromwell.
But that's not true. Troops take an oath of allegiance ro the monarch. Not Parliament the Monarch. Any legislation has to ve approved by the Monarch.

There a kind of unwritten agreement that these days the Monarch doesn't impose itself over any of these but there's nothing legally binding them to.

Over the last 150 years the Monarchy itself has stepped back away from the focus of power but it was very active in policy making before then and of course the aristocracy has remained at the forefront of British policy making for plenty of those 150 years.

There is more influence and pressure from corporations these days but the people in the corridors of power in these institutions are largely the ones who have been walking those corridors since the year dot The club membership shifts a little each time but there's plenty that stay around.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:07 pm

And let's not forget the the Queen (as lovely as she might be as a person) was very much opposed to the principle of paying tax on her earnings.

Because she's, well, The Queen

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:08 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Plenty of that at the Nuremberg rallies........... :)
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:15 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:08 pm
Plenty of that at the Nuremberg rallies........... :)
To be fair, aesthetically that can’t be topped……😁
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret longsidepies

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:52 pm

The awarding of medals seem pretty worthless these days when you see how many some are wearing despite not having achieved much.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:56 pm

20220604_125510.jpg
20220604_125510.jpg (359.81 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
This user liked this post: Steve1956

pureclaret
Been Liked: 433 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Post by pureclaret » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:10 pm

I think bomber comand did not get there own campagin medal so possibly he has only claimed the service medal if served for more than a month. I think that includes the 6 weeks training.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:14 pm

My grandad had 6 medals as his time as a naval gunner in WWII. :?

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2247 times

Post by mkmel » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:22 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:52 pm
The awarding of medals seem pretty worthless these days when you see how many some are wearing despite not having achieved much.
I think Edward got his medals when he was in the Marines for a week.

pureclaret

Post by pureclaret » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:26 pm

With regard to this post IMO it is a wonderfull reflection of what we in this country do better than most and that is to put on a show with real pomp thta overseas visitors pay a lot of money and we are the envy of many.

The history of the Trooping of the colour and what its meaning is, is there for all to see.

For me my Mum who I consider was a wise woman , used to say if you have nothing good to say about somone,or something, then dont say anything, unless it is going to alter what is happening, judging by the partys, the bunting and shows that are on , giving negative comments will not alter this weekend going ahead.
Im proud to be British, English, I m proud of living in a country with hsitory both good and bad Im proud of the Monarcy and what they do for the country. Yes there are some who make mistakes and rightly get called for it. But thtas the same in all families

And for all those who dont feel that way, that is your choice and you dont have to take part in parties tv shows etc, but Id ask you let the ones who enjoy these things to do so in peace and frendship.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:41 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:29 am
There is no such thing as any power that the institution of the Monarchy has over any of us. There hasn't been since Oliver Cromwell.

We all have the power within us to change our lives. The fact that so many people choose either not to vote at all, or vote in a way that disagrees with you, doesn't make the system broken, or Southern centric, or an upper class privilege. It just means you haven't won the argument.
By all means fight harder for your vision, but don't blame it on the Monarchy, or some dark ages feudal system, because it isn't relevant, and losing the Royal Family wouldn't solve any of your issues.
What I've posted attempts to go beyond the conventional royalist or republican arguments. I'm not an enthusiastic republican, though I can see why my posts might have come across this way. But on a closer reading you'll notice I have not explicitly talked about replacing the monarchy; I'm musing on the attitudes which lead people to support the monarchy with an ardour I find lacks personal dignity, I'm observing how this passion is sustained, and I'm elaborating on elwa's challenges to the historicity of what has been said by people on this thread about the importance of the monarchy to our national history.

The way I've said it might seem obscurantist, but my attempt is to say something which might be of value to someone without it being dismissed out of hand due to an existing political prejudice. It's more, "here's the way I see it", but you're making a leap to suggest I'm saying anything about "here's how it should be", and because of that you're drawing the wrong conclusions about me. For purely practical reasons I don't care a jot for replacing the monarchy. I've an ambivalent, almost spiteful relationship to the institution. I think the chasm that exists between people on this issue is in how one set of people focus on the Queen and the family itself, and the other set of people think in terms of political institutions.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:47 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Yes, and it was. We still do it best in Britain. Cheers!
This user liked this post: pureclaret

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:17 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:47 pm
Yes, and it was. We still do it best in Britain. Cheers!
We need to cling onto it. It's all we've got left that we're any good at.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:25 pm

pureclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:26 pm
Yes there are some who make mistakes and rightly get called for it. But thtas the same in all families
Cheating on your wife is a mistake. Getting drunk and ruining your child's birthday party is a mistake. Getting into a stupid fight over nothing outside 'spoons on a Friday night, breaking your wrist when you fall, spending the night in A&E, that's a mistake. Being involved with the international sex-trafficking of underage children is not a mistake, it's an unforgivable crime.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5043 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:52 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:04 pm
But that's not true. Troops take an oath of allegiance ro the monarch. Not Parliament the Monarch. Any legislation has to ve approved by the Monarch.

There a kind of unwritten agreement that these days the Monarch doesn't impose itself over any of these but there's nothing legally binding them to.

Over the last 150 years the Monarchy itself has stepped back away from the focus of power but it was very active in policy making before then and of course the aristocracy has remained at the forefront of British policy making for plenty of those 150 years.

There is more influence and pressure from corporations these days but the people in the corridors of power in these institutions are largely the ones who have been walking those corridors since the year dot The club membership shifts a little each time but there's plenty that stay around.
If that's true its as much to do with natural selection, as any sinister old boys club. The fittest fight their way to the top. If they didn't man kind would have stood still for thousands of years. There's an argument that society could be fairer, the profits of life shared more evenly, but no matter who you ban, or get rid of, or abolish, the same people will still rise to the top. It's a club that is easier to join, with the right background, education and connections, but it's in no way exclusive. With the right brains and hard work anyone can join, having the wherewithal just makes it easier.

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:14 pm

I’m sure Italy, France,USA, China, North Korea etc etc all think they do this sort of thing the best and are the envy of the world too.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:16 pm

But they don’t do it in front of the most famous Monarch and Royal Family in the world. There is a difference.
This user liked this post: pureclaret

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:44 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:37 am
I've noticed elwa has replied, but I was going to jump in the conversation, 2 Bee Holed, so here's what I was thinking about saying in response to your posts above.

Not to speak on anyone's behalf, but I think the point elwa might be making (and I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, apologies if so) is that it can seem a bit odd for people from the NW to become so emotionally invested in upholding a totem whose function, it is argued on this thread, serves to remind the country of its own so-called national history, when the actual unexpurgated history of the country is one of an aristocratic class — the monarchy, nobles, perpetually drunk landed gentry, and in more modern times the newly re-branded aristocracy to be found in every corner of the Square Mile, the City of London — this incestuous class of psychopaths has only ever used the actual people who have lived in the NW and other places outside of the quasi-pomerium of London/the South/SE England, as pawns: as things to be exploited for political or material gain, out of vanity, ambition, survival, or religious zeal. And it is worth remembering that it has been this way since forever. Every concession, every right, all the dignities we have, were fought for by normal people, and not bequeathed to us by an aristocracy.

Sorry, just seen this… bang on Spiral.
It seems to me as though the value in drawing attention to southern domination of the north throughout history is in prompting people to ponder questions like, "does this institution serve us? on what authority does it claim sovereignty? is it as benignant as it presents itself?" These are important questions any human being with self-respect ought to ask, in any country, under any political system, at any time, the past, the present or the future, and they ought to be asked incessantly. As a sentient creature with an innate drive to freedom and power, how do you reconcile a person having power over you?

People watch military parades and have a bit of a gathering and a sing-song and they feel like they're friends with everyone else doing it, and some folks go so far as to self-insert themselves into the Second World War films they watched when they were growing up, heroically imagine themselves fighting the baddies; and the images and symbols around us in everyday life, the ubiquitous and inescapable everyday nudges which make people think about nationality: the images printed on money, flags, statues, monuments, the machinations of parliament which we see in the news on a daily basis; the rousing anthems which evoke patriotic emotions (a phenomena which owes less to the truth of the narratives found in those anthems and more to the human capacity to be moved into apprehending harmonic resonance as sublime) — from childhood all of these things plant into one's mind a gallery of images and ideas which are carefully curated and framed and presented as being 'patriotic' by a ruling class for whom this picture of life is enormously convenient; and for reasons that seem inexplicable to me beyond the possibility that millions are docile in the literal sense of the word, people happily enter into covenant with and wed their own identity to the very institution, the very class of people who for centuries have used small-folk, proles, plebs like us as little more than a means to an end.
Only just seen this. Bang on Spiral

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:48 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:54 am

You are one sad mon

pureclaret

Post by pureclaret » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:51 pm

Spiral dont get your point !!! Im not sure who was involved in the comment you made and you could possibley get this post taken down with your comment. And obviously you cant read my comment, as I did not say anything about what may or may be unforgivable , I said that all families have family who make mistakes.
I feel sorry that the poster of this post has ended up with total jealous idiotic arguments over some one having more money, power than them, or at least to make spurious comments

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:53 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:52 pm
If that's true its as much to do with natural selection, as any sinister old boys club. The fittest fight their way to the top. If they didn't man kind would have stood still for thousands of years. There's an argument that society could be fairer, the profits of life shared more evenly, but no matter who you ban, or get rid of, or abolish, the same people will still rise to the top. It's a club that is easier to join, with the right background, education and connections, but it's in no way exclusive. With the right brains and hard work anyone can join, having the wherewithal just makes it easier.
I'm not sure you really need brains or hard work to join that particular "club". Look at the Eton educated "elite" who currently lead the country.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1142 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:01 pm

My son in law was educated at Eton and is an utter knob

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:02 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:52 pm
True to a certain degree.
until a system that gives advantage to the already privileged, backed up by law enforcement, takes control.

2 Bee Holed

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:33 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:01 pm
I think I might know him. Is your daughter called Carrie by any chance?

:o
These 5 users liked this post: Bosscat beddie Burnley Ace tiger76 mkmel

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:11 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:01 pm
A Knob of Utter ...

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:28 pm

To all the non bell ends on this thread, loving this show tonight
These 4 users liked this post: Bosscat Burnleybabe NewClaret Burnley Ace

Burnleybabe
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 70 times

Post by Burnleybabe » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:45 pm

I am a true royalist and have loved all of the pomp and ceremony we have seen this last few days,

I will enjoy the jubilee party we are going to tomorrow.
If you don't like it don't watch.
God save the Queen
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat NewClaret

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:48 pm

Burnleybabe wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:45 pm
I am a true royalist and have loved all of the pomp and ceremony we have seen this last few days,

I will enjoy the jubilee party we are going to tomorrow.
If you don't like it don't watch.
God save the Queen
👍 we are off to our village party tommorow afternoon ... enjoyed afternoon tea in the village hall today with film of our village 1977 celebrations and trying recognise folk ... around 100 of us there and more tomorrow hopefully 🙂

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:55 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:28 pm
To all the non bell ends on this thread, loving this show tonight
Me too. It’s been unbelievable. Feeling very proud to be British tonight.
This user liked this post: Venkys4eva

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 584 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:57 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:55 pm
Agreed.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:16 pm

I'm not really into the whole Royal thing, not fussed either way but I've been well impressed with most of it. The lighting and projections on the Palace have been superb. I think the only mis-step in the evening was whoever picked the girl singing "wonderful world" got it incredibly wrong, a song requiring poise and emotion was thoroughly destroyed. Been good over all though especially for an outdoor event

Terrier
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Post by Terrier » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:44 pm

Had s drink or two and usually let things ride but who let rod stewart sing tonight at his age, never been much cop but he is embarrassing nowadays!
P.s. Diana Ross is of similar age but sounded ok, not as good as she was but still many leagues above rodney!

Venkys4eva
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by Venkys4eva » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:48 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Me too! Both my kids watched it with us and they were totally blown away and extremely proud to be British.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:52 pm

Venkys4eva wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:48 pm
Me too! Both my kids watched it with us and they were totally blown away and extremely proud to be British.
Got a picture earlier tonight of Buckingham Palace from the cockpit of the Merlin that my cousin was flying, at the front of the fly over. Nowt to do with me but proud as punch and made up for him.
These 3 users liked this post: Venkys4eva Burnley1989 Milltown1882

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:08 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Class mate, made my weekend

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:10 pm

Terrier wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:44 pm
Had s drink or two and usually let things ride but who let rod stewart sing tonight at his age, never been much cop but he is embarrassing nowadays!
P.s. Diana Ross is of similar age but sounded ok, not as good as she was but still many leagues above rodney!
She’s the Queen! Beyoncé would have been the better shout but she’s still a queen

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:10 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:52 pm
Got a picture earlier tonight of Buckingham Palace from the cockpit of the Merlin that my cousin was flying, at the front of the fly over. Nowt to do with me but proud as punch and made up for him.
Love to see it mate

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:20 pm

Terrier wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:44 pm
FB_IMG_1654381131681.jpg
FB_IMG_1654381131681.jpg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 906 times
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret