Loyalty Points - something needs to change.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Re: Loyalty Points - something needs to change.

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:10 am

mybloodisclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:08 am
I'd suggest not if those with 5900 points can't get tickets then it hardly needs changing. Yes clearly there are at least 2000 + fans with 6000 who all wanted to travel, but keep putting up and big match away support will be made up of 40 + year olds (I'm nearly one). Hence the need for a rolling system of 3-5 years, where the points drop off.
Agree the system needs changing, and rolling points for away tickets is one i support.

As things stand though, the 6000 points threshold is out of date.
These 2 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret Garnerssoap

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:54 pm

Leaving aside the obviously self-interested nature of many posts ("The system needs to change" = "I couldn't get a ticket") it is surely obvious that the club will not wish to upset it's most loyal and financially supportive supporters....those who buy season tickets. New supporters coming on board have every opportunity to attend home games and there presumably will always be away games which don't sell out.

I can sympathise with those wishing to take a family party - I have hit that problem myself - but in the end no system can suit everybody. Could a season ticket holder with 6000 points perhaps be entitled to buy their own ticket plus one junior ticket? Even then I would suggest that you'd have to have a limit of a couple of hundred such tickets for each match.

Full disclosure. I have well over 6000 points mainly built up from season ticket purchases - although I do attend some away matches.

Joe14
Been Liked: 252 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:24 pm

pureclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:20 am
why not make it that season ticket holders get first choice for away games, ticket office opens 9 am que up for tickets and purchase number of tickets to each season ticket, I know its going back a bit but thats how it used to be. ( I am aware that you could pay on the gate too. but if limited tickets then that does not work
We have moved on from that thank goodness!! You might have nothing to do at 9am but many are busy trying to earn a living!

I can “go back a bit” and we were travelling around in horse & cart. (Would be cheaper than today’s fuel prices I know) Fortunately we don’t all sit in the distant past.

LiamKennyBFC
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by LiamKennyBFC » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:22 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:18 pm
Still can do that, I've done it this morning, although got 4000+ points as well.
How do you manage that? I'm a foundation member didn't know you could get tickets on day of sale (missed out on Huddersfield), do you ring the ticket office or the foundation phone number? Any help much appreciated.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by KlyBfc » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:53 pm

The only bit I’d change is id reward those that go to the league cup and fa cup home games more points than a league game (boost attendance and reward loyalty in the unpopular games).

I’m on my 8th consecutive year as a season ticket holder, i had season tickets previous too, however I’m still just short of 4000. That’s partly my fault as for years so I could sit with my mates I’ve let other people buy me tickets. I didn’t miss out on Huddersfield tickets because I’m away but I would have done. I’m not bothered because I know the system and that’s how it is. I’ve generally (missed 2 I wanted to over about 15yrs) always got tickets if I’ve wanted them through friends.

Whatever way this is done people will be upset.

I’ve said before I would have a rolling systems to reward current fans who do go regularly. Those who went regularly last year and have a season ticket should get priority. What I don’t agree with is the argument that those who go away but don’t have a season ticket should get priority over those who commit their money to the club at the outset.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 12497 times

Post by Leisure » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:55 pm

LiamKennyBFC wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:22 pm
How do you manage that? I'm a foundation member didn't know you could get tickets on day of sale (missed out on Huddersfield), do you ring the ticket office or the foundation phone number? Any help much appreciated.
You have to go through the Foundation office.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:52 am

boyyanno wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:01 pm
Have they really?

I haven't been a member for a while now but used to think it came with some decent perks, it's a shame if they've rolled back on them.
Foundation bar closed, got the official email.

You get 20% discount on drinks in the fan zone.

So I pay just under £20 , mainly to have a quiet drink with friends before a game. That’s now gone.

The weekly draw I have been in for around 12 years, won diddly squat.

I have two beers before a game so saving £1.80. Looks like I might be saving myself £20 a month.

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4036 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:58 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:52 am
Foundation bar closed, got the official email.

You get 20% discount on drinks in the fan zone.

So I pay just under £20 , mainly to have a quiet drink with friends before a game. That’s now gone.

The weekly draw I have been in for around 12 years, won diddly squat.

I have two beers before a game so saving £1.80. Looks like I might be saving myself £20 a month.
What do you pay just under £20 for?

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:02 am

mybloodisclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:58 am
What do you pay just under £20 for?
Foundation bar, each month, for me and the daughter

mybloodisclaret

Post by mybloodisclaret » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:07 am

Was going to say I pay £8.67 p/m for it. Never used any of it's benefits other than once in the bar which has now gone. Never used it to get away tickets with it as they got less than a handful, but after who knows how long will likely leave it now.

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 443 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:06 am

LiamKennyBFC wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:22 pm
I've used the facility for a number of years, which is the reason I joined, plus the use of the bar. Normally I ring the foundation office, but on this occasion it went straight through to the ticket office, I was subsequently told that they are dealing with foundation calls for the next 2 weeks. However my wife who is also a member, received a letter a few day's ago saying that the foundation bar is no longer available this season, as yet I have not received one. It explained that due to the demands for hospitality this facility is no longer available, but was being replaced with a 20% discount on drinks in the fanzone. If the priority ticket facility is removed then there will be no point carrying on with the membership and as some others have said I will be sacking it off and saving myself around £18. I would have a guess there's around 4/500 members, in the past I've been told that they receive a limited number of tickets, I'm guessing again may be around the 200 mark, to manage to get one for the relevant away game obviously you have to be on the phone at 9am pronto, the priority is first come first served basis.

LiamKennyBFC
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by LiamKennyBFC » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:27 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:06 am
I've used the facility for a number of years, which is the reason I joined, plus the use of the bar. Normally I ring the foundation office, but on this occasion it went straight through to the ticket office, I was subsequently told that they are dealing with foundation calls for the next 2 weeks. However my wife who is also a member, received a letter a few day's ago saying that the foundation bar is no longer available this season, as yet I have not received one. It explained that due to the demands for hospitality this facility is no longer available, but was being replaced with a 20% discount on drinks in the fanzone. If the priority ticket facility is removed then there will be no point carrying on with the membership and as some others have said I will be sacking it off and saving myself around £18. I would have a guess there's around 4/500 members, in the past I've been told that they receive a limited number of tickets, I'm guessing again may be around the 200 mark, to manage to get one for the relevant away game obviously you have to be on the phone at 9am pronto, the priority is first come first served basis.
Used the foundation lounge for a few year myself. Received a letter at the start of the week saying similar due to the increasing demand of field facing hospitality. Might try to get tickets for Watford using that method and if not like you say it would be silly to carry it on and will be close to a £20 saving monthly.

Ps.. thanks to all above who commented.

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:40 pm

mybloodisclaret wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:31 pm
Really?

Sorry if it upsets people but in my opinion there is no way that children should get preferential treatment or even parity with other fans who have paid to support a team for many many years to help make sure the kids still have a club to follow. Like anything worthwhile in life they need to earn the right not get it handed on a plate for me.

I must have read it wrong. 4 adults with enough points, 2 juniors impossible to have enough. Not asking for preferential treatment, just give them a chance of going.
They will still get the bug by going to all of the home games and 18-20 of the away games this season, they just missed out on this particular game.
This user liked this post: keith1879

mybloodisclaret

Post by mybloodisclaret » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:12 pm

PaintYorkClaretnBlue wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:40 pm
They will still get the bug by going to all of the home games and 18-20 of the away games this season, they just missed out on this particular game.
They already have the bug mate, they are 100% claret bonkers.

Everyone has their opinion on it I guess, just seems difficult for juniors to catch up. How we going to manage rovers away?

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:35 pm

I suspect that anyone under the age of 16 at the Rovers match will be using someone else's ticket.

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:40 pm

mybloodisclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:12 pm

Everyone has their opinion on it I guess, just seems difficult for juniors to catch up. How we going to manage rovers away?
Will be tough unless you can get someone else’s tickets who isn’t going. They’ll just have to bide their time, in years to come they will be in the best position.

turbo5
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by turbo5 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:49 pm

The loyalty points system would be fairer if the ticket was ID at the point of entry.
Lots of people travelling on other peoples points.

For me the most fairest system would be 3-5 year rolling away games attended that way kids who have been away on numerous games will stand a chance against the guy who uses his neighbours clarets number with 9000 points who's last away game was the Sherpa Van final v Wolves
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

pistol
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by pistol » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:11 pm

mybloodisclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:12 pm

You have to imagine at Rovers we’ll get as many tickets as we want in that end…Certainly remember the last few getting quite late into sales. With an allocation of 7,500 and a number actually swerving it due to the coach situation hopefully any STHs (at least) who want to go get sorted.

pistol

Post by pistol » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:13 pm

turbo5 wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:49 pm
The loyalty points system would be fairer if the ticket was ID at the point of entry.
Lots of people travelling on other peoples points.

For me the most fairest system would be 3-5 year rolling away games attended that way kids who have been away on numerous games will stand a chance against the guy who uses his neighbours clarets number with 9000 points who's last away game was the Sherpa Van final v Wolves
The club survey said the majority agree with current loyalty system (albeit that was vs 3/4 other options) i absolutely agree with a rolling system incentivises people to keep going also

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:43 pm

pistol wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:13 pm
The club survey said the majority agree with current loyalty system (albeit that was vs 3/4 other options) i absolutely agree with a rolling system incentivises people to keep going also
So if they made it a rolling points system, I would just buy enough away tickets to keep me in the highest level. But not bother going to 80% of the tickets I bought, just to go to the ones I wanted too.

Any system you propose can be got around, if a supporter wants to.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:47 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:43 pm
So if they made it a rolling points system, I would just buy enough away tickets to keep me in the highest level. But not bother going to 80% of the tickets I bought, just to go to the ones I wanted too.

Any system you propose can be got around, if a supporter wants to.
For someone who has fitted curtains to the inside of their front door to save a few quid on energy costs, this would seem a very strange way to spend their money. :lol:
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Barlickclaret
Been Liked: 85 times

Post by Barlickclaret » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:03 pm

Can't wait for this thread to explode when people can't get Watford tickets.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:19 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:47 pm
For someone who has fitted curtains to the inside of their front door to save a few quid on energy costs, this would seem a very strange way to spend their money. :lol:
Not if you really need Want to go to rovers away. Plus just spent £11k on solar to help
Ukraine and reduce my bills further .
So a few quid on away tickets I won’t use to go to the ones I want to.
Why not.
And yes the curtains did help reduce bills.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:40 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:19 pm
Not if you really need Want to go to rovers away. Plus just spent £11k on solar to help
Why not.
Not really bothered about the energy stuff in this instance, but your idea of buying tickets to all away games and not attending just in order to have enough loyalty points to attend the ‘big games’ is very silly.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:59 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:40 pm
Not really bothered about the energy stuff in this instance, but your idea of buying tickets to all away games and not attending just in order to have enough loyalty points to attend the ‘big games’ is very silly.
Just pointing out, no matter the system. There is always a way to get round it.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:10 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:59 pm
Just pointing out, no matter the system. There is always a way to get round it.
Not sure doing what the system requires can be described as getting around it.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:27 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:40 pm
It is for Burnley fans, but common place for the fans of big clubs who want Champions league away tickets or Cup finals.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1104 times

Post by bfcmik » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:52 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:19 pm
Why not.
You could probably get our money back by offering them for sale ;)

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:58 pm

Interestingly I went to Newcastle away last season.
Don’t remember a thread asking for changes then.
We were dreadful that day.
First time I have seen away fans turn on the team and 40% left to go to the bar.

But suddenly fans think we might win an away game they want changes to the rules.
These 3 users liked this post: Sheedyclaret keith1879 BradTee93

yorkyclaret
Been Liked: 246 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by yorkyclaret » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:15 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:58 pm
First time I have seen away fans turn on the team and 40% left to go to the bar.

But suddenly fans think we might win an away game they want changes to the rules.
In recent years this has come up just before Man U games, so I was hoping we wouldn't have one this season.
This user liked this post: dsr

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:35 pm

yorkyclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:15 pm
In recent years this has come up just before Man U games, so I was hoping we wouldn't have one this season.
Amazing the system only doesn’t apparently work for the big games where people moan ……easy to follow when we’re in The Prem so the rolling points system favours those who only follow when we’re successful…..maybe wrong but there’s probably only a couple of thousand with the max points…….and for-me whilst never perfect the current system is the right one.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:41 pm

Jimmymaccer wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:35 pm
Amazing the system only doesn’t apparently work for the big games where people moan ……easy to follow when we’re in The Prem so the rolling points system favours those who only follow when we’re successful…..maybe wrong but there’s probably only a couple of thousand with the max points…….and for-me whilst never perfect the current system is the right one.
I agree

pistol

Post by pistol » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:10 pm

Jimmymaccer wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:35 pm
A rolling points system favours those who continue to go the most regularly… irrespective of the league we’re in.

“Its easy to follow in the prem”… is it? We tend to win more at Championship level than prem and how many have mentioned the excitement of all the local games this year, potentially less chance of TV tampering with things (granted that doesnt seem the case initially).

Some could argue precisely the opposite, the easiest to follow is winning football

On lower banks point it certainly didnt feel “easy” at Newcastle or Norwich amongst others but we dont do it for ease do we.
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:21 pm

I'd introduce bonus points for things like being able to identify what is the oldest Burnley badge

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:25 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:21 pm
I'd introduce bonus points for things like being able to identify what is the oldest Burnley badge
Or for being able to sing the club songs. All together now, "Marching on together ..."

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1104 times

Post by bfcmik » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:45 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:25 pm
Or for being able to sing the club songs. All together now, "Marching on together ..."
"Daisy, Daisy, give me answer do ..."
Or: "Tiptoe through the Longside with yer boots on ...."

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:11 pm

And of course "Bertie Bee said to Bill Shankly"
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Claret Till I Die

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:06 pm

It's "Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankly" not Bertie Bee

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1624 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:17 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:25 pm
Don't forget. "In our Lancashire homes"

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:29 pm

Lancashire Home not Homes

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:41 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:29 pm
Lancashire Home not Homes
When everyone is singing in unison we use the plural because we're talking about all our homes otherwise it would be in my Lancashire home not our Lancashire home. Can't believe people who call themselves Burnley fans don't realise this and still sing home instead of homes.

You probably used to say Chris Woods instead of Chris Wood too.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3191 times
Has Liked: 1872 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:44 pm

I'm not sure how many of the posts over the last hour are serious :|

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:10 pm

None 😆 🤣

BradTee93
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Post by BradTee93 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:41 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:58 pm

The less said about Newcastle away the better 😂 that was a very painful day! As was Norwich 😅

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:51 pm

pistol wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:10 pm
A rolling points system favours those who continue to go the most regularly… irrespective of the league we’re in.

“Its easy to follow in the prem”… is it? We tend to win more at Championship level than prem and how many have mentioned the excitement of all the local games this year, potentially less chance of TV tampering with things (granted that doesnt seem the case initially).

Some could argue precisely the opposite, the easiest to follow is winning football

On lower banks point it certainly didnt feel “easy” at Newcastle or Norwich amongst others but we dont do it for ease do we.
Good point here....we win more outside of the PL so maybe it is easier to watch us then. But that is also true of home games...and attendances would seem to suggest that more people want to watch PL games than in the championship. Personally I like the atmosphere at smaller away grounds but each to their own.

Trying to be as objective as possible - We have no waiting list for season tickets and very rarely sell out home games - so anyone who wants to start watching the club has the opportunity to do so and it's in the club's interests to reward them because it generates income.

Being subjective (and why not) I have had the same season ticket on the long-side stand ever since it was opened which is where most (not all) of my loyalty points come from .... most of those seasons have been spent outside of the top flight and a couple of them finished perilously close to relegation from the third tier. A five year rolling system for points would mean that (extreme case of course) someone who had never attended a single Burnley match before 2016 (and hence never outside of the PL) but had watched us ever since (home and away) would have more points than me. At that point I might wonder why I was still buying a season ticket.

Anyway I'm off to prepare my video to support my bid to be leader of theConservative party .

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:01 pm

yorkyclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:15 pm
Last season there was no problem getting tickets for old Trafford... Lots of youngsters

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:06 pm

Lets hope this is sorted for next week and Watford tickets, can't have all those who missed out on Huddersfield tickets missing out on Watford too.

The Hung Juror
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by The Hung Juror » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:13 pm

For what it's worth here's my two penneth.

I actually on't think there is much wrong with the current system, albeit I understand and have experienced the frustration of not being able to get tickets for young family members.

I cannot think of a fairer way.

I believe the problem lies with the fans, who use and let others use accounts, to get tickets to which they are not entitled, because they don't have the points themselves. And yes, I have done both in the past.

You are never ever going to get a system that everyone will be happy with, but get this sorted out and I think it would be as fair as you are ever likely to achieve.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:42 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:21 pm
Docked points if you can’t. CT would be in negative figures.

Barlickclaret
Been Liked: 85 times

Post by Barlickclaret » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:15 am

deanothedino wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:42 am
Docked points if you can’t. CT would be in negative figures.
Be careful, suggestions like that might get you banned.