Thoughts on the Transfer Window

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
brexit
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Thoughts on the Transfer Window

Post by brexit » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:09 pm

This is a genuine request for a discussion on our current transfer window

We seem to be having a "good" transfer window lots of international players linked and our new manger seeming willing to give the u23 players a chance. The type of window most posters on this board have been advocating
So my question is, is this down to VK and Alan Pace backing him and they have a definite plan or if the previous management team had been in place would we have a different type of rebuild, if so what would it have looked like.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11062 times
Has Liked: 5667 times

Re: Thoughts on the Transfer Window

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:14 pm

very good window so far and I expect it will get even better. In my wildest dreams I didn't expect such a quick direction change for the club and it's clearly down to Pace and Kompany. Lets hope they can put the results together on the pitch to make it work as it would be an incredible story. We know what the transfer policy would have been under the previous regime, we would have been in for Shane Long.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:20 pm

Genuinely sorry to sound like a boring sod, but it’s very hard to judge the window until…

A) it shuts

and

B) We’ve actually seen this new squad performing in a string of competitive championship football matches.

My contribution is that many of the signings ‘feel’ right 🤓
These 4 users liked this post: DCWat SherbornePhil NewClaret Pearcey

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:22 pm

We clearly needed a major overhaul this summer.

The key is would Dyche be accepting so many changes and bringing in so many youngsters 🤔

I feel energised by it, seeing a new crop of young players coming here, wanting to further their careers and wanting to play for Kompany.
I believe having Kompany is opening doors that maybe weren't there before for us.

The owners are going to be looking at buying cheap/young and selling for more, which is fine, but it only works if we're successful and have the right manager in place to get the younger lads in, in larger numbers than we were before and he's willing to play them.

The club's had its hand forced by so many OOC players and others wishing to leave to remain at a higher level, so a gradual rebuild over several windows is now having to happen in one but I'm fine with it.

Onwards and upwards as the saying goes, but most of us are now probably looking forwards to this season, instead of the apathy that was there.

claretbob
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by claretbob » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:27 pm

Average age of the 10 players we have released/sold-31years
Average age of the 7 we have signed/loaned-22 years.
As JD Robbo says it feels right and there must be a chance we can make a profit on quite a few should we be less successful than hoped for. Might take a while to gell but by the end of August we should have a good idea how things are looking.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8539 times
Has Liked: 18289 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:27 pm

Have to admit its getting exciting thinking of the coming season ... New manager, new style, new team (ish) lets hope it comes together sooner rather than later and we can really get behind VK and company

sox8595
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 384 times

Post by sox8595 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:29 pm

I'm looking forward to the start of the season a hell of a lot more than previous seasons. The complete change of direction regarding youth and(hopefully) style is brilliant

Fenwick
Been Liked: 202 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Post by Fenwick » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:42 pm

I hate myself for thinking this way, but I'm also thinking positively about this season. I also thought Winston White was a world beater. As jrobbo says the signings so far just feel right. At the least, we don't know what's coming . Exciting times

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:44 pm

I just hope we gel and are competitive our support needs a good season,after the two most recent ones where cheer was in short supply
It will be good to see lots of young new faces turning out for us,I think we will be ok...UTC

Spiral
Been Liked: 2523 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:44 pm

Generally speaking, very good.

We're a bigger draw in the championship than we were in the PL, so when bringing in players suitable for this league it's naturally easier to get the deals done for financial and reputational reasons compared to PL windows, where even the pooper players capable of playing in that league would look at Burnley as bottom of the barrel as far as pay and competitiveness on the field are concerned, so we naturally struggled every year to bring in players. But even before that, in other championship seasons, I don't recall us having such focus in our dealings. We've got a clear profile we're going for, we're bringing in players that are going to give us immense flexibility within games, and immense flexibility in squad selection/rotation. The business model is noticeably more aligned with the playstyle, and with Kompany's ideas about developing players rather than buying the ready-made product, which is exactly Burnley's wheelhouse.

Even though urgency was thrust upon us by all the outgoings it's still pleasing to see us land so many of our first-choice targets fairly early. We could (I'll say almost) put out a good looking team today, and we've still got quite a bit of time left in the window to add the finishing touches. That's a much calmer state of affairs than what we could have been facing after the exodus had we been negotiating deals the way we did in previous seasons, where it was common for us to move on to our second and third choices, and late in the window at that, with seeming casual regard for how best to utilise any given player. That contrasts with this window's dealings, where you can see how every single one fits into Kompany's 4-2-2-2 box formation without being shoehorned.

That said I don't know a massive amount about most of our signings except a rough idea of their playstyle and that they are all highly rated and are expressly eager to play for Kompany. This is a big factor. I feel this fact matters far more, and is far more revealing than any platitudinous "I can't wait to play for [insert club]" type comments.

If I could sum this window up in one word, I'd say it's been focussed. There's an unknown element to how it'll play out more so than in other windows, more than where only two or three (at best) are added to the starting XI, and where a lot of the time we're bringing in players many of us know a bit about and can see how they'd add to the team. So yeah, a lot of unknowns, the jury is out on how effective this team is going to be, but it makes it very interesting.
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 RVclaret Suratclaret

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:41 am

“ If I could sum this window up in one word, I'd say it's been focussed.”
I think that’s spot on. No one knows how things will pan out and there’s been plenty of clubs in the past making wholesale changes only to fall flat on their face.
I do think,however, that VK has some more tricks up his sleeve yet…we shall see!

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:49 am

Fresh, exciting, young, hungry, vibrant.

After relegation, I was thinking more along the lines of a Carlos Carvahal type appointment, with more journeymen type signings, cheap, frees etc. While I wasn’t ‘fearing the worst’, I wasn’t by any means excited.

Pace has pulled off a blinder by getting Kompany in, all these players we’ve signed absolutely want to play for him and it’s great to see. Now I can’t wait for the season to start and see these guys, Twine in particular and O’Hare if we can pull it off. They are two types of players we haven’t seen play for Burnley since the likes of Robbie Blake and Ings, two of my favourite ever players.

Still feel there’s more business to do, keeper, striker, attacking mid etc and we might lose a few more, I’ve accepted that but also trust we’ll have active replacements ready to come in. Kompany has had the chance to rebuild the team according to his specific philosophy and everyone seems on the same page (owners and him). He did a solid job at Anderlecht on a much smaller budget than he’s having here, which gives me reasons to be optimistic for what’s to come.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1576 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:19 am

Serious downgrade in the quality of the player we have gone for over the last 10 years but hopefully they work out.

Out of the many signings we have made I think only 3 of them are genuine high end championship quality.

It has been very interesting though watching the rebuild. Time will tell whether it’s been a disaster or a masterclass I suspect there will not be much in between

forzagranata
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by forzagranata » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:34 am

Lets see where we are on Sept 1. There will be a late flurry of activity with a month of football having been played. Kompany has been very clear that it is vital that we have some continuity in terms of the squad. We should be aiming to keep Roberts, Lowton, Taylor, Brownhill, Cornet and Jay Rod - even if offers come in. We still need to bring in some more options too.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:50 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:19 am
Serious downgrade in the quality of the player we have gone for over the last 10 years but hopefully they work out.

Out of the many signings we have made I think only 3 of them are genuine high end championship quality.

It has been very interesting though watching the rebuild. Time will tell whether it’s been a disaster or a masterclass I suspect there will not be much in between
I agree about the downgrade in quality. I said to my son on the way to Shrewsbury that, although the new signings are very exciting, they’re not like Cornet/Weghorst where you’re bringing in players with pedigree bigger than the club (Europe experience, etc). I’d perhaps hoped we might take a few players on the fringes of big European/PL teams that are looking for game time. There’s time for that though - they won’t go until nearer the end of the transfer window and all their options are known, I imagine.

I am not sure I agree about your statement of only three being high-end Championship quality - won’t start a debate on that point though because I’d say it’s better to wait until we’ve all seen them play a lot more before passing judgement. But even if they were, if we hold on to our other PL players, that would make a very strong first team of 8/9 top players. I don’t think most teams in this league have more than a couple.

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1079 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:57 am

Downgrade in league equals downgrade in players
These 2 users liked this post: NewClaret IanMcL

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:33 am

Decent so far, Cullen and Twine should be solid additions who could hit the ground running, Maatsen and THB also have experience of this league which could be important.

However we do need a potent striker through the door particularly if Cornet does go which he might late in the window.

Disappointing to lose Collins and Pope but not surprised, as for the rest of the departures, apart from Mee and Tarks, who were always likely to go, I'm just glad to get several big earners off the books.

Inexperienced CB pairing is a concern, but CM has been improved dramatically which has been needed for many years.

Just get a keeper, RW and striker through the door, and hopefully hang onto our established players and it'll have been a good window.

One thing is for sure it's at least proved interesting for a change.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:39 am

One major outgoing and Cullen brought in since the last similar thread was put up. More signings to come and still the uncertainty of how many others will be sold.
I think it’s going as well as could be expected at this stage and there is a lot to be excited about for the new season.
My main focus is always going to be how the new team gel

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:44 am

Definitely the right direction investing in young talented players. We now need to hang onto to our experienced pros to help bed the young uns to have a mix of youth and experience.

We got lucky that we have all these ooc players with an average of 31 as we wouldn't have got much if anything for any of them bar Tarkowski, it must have reduced our wage bill significantly and got shut of the dead wood

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2605 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:50 am

I've started to back Burnley at 16/1 for relegation. Not because I feel they will be relegated, but because I feel they will trade a lot shorter in the betting than 16/1 at points during the season. I fear that there's a lack of quality and experience.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:11 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:50 am
I've started to back Burnley at 16/1 for relegation. Not because I feel they will be relegated, but because I feel they will trade a lot shorter in the betting than 16/1 at points during the season. I fear that there's a lack of quality and experience.
You can get 20s on skybet

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:30 am

Whilst people are understandably focussed on the incoming prospects, and most of them are just that, don’t forget we have lost our two first choice keepers, our centre back pairing and replacement and if Cornet leaves, our only effective striker. So that’s half a dozen top players, by and large the ones who kept us within two goals of survival.

At the outset Vince said he was only going to plug the gaps with loanees and we have signed two already.

Personally I was hoping to sign some experience at centre back, a proven Championship wide player and a top striker and use our existing U23s as back up.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 513 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:31 am

I’ve backed Burnley for the Championship at 16’s, 14’s and 12’s as I don’t want to miss out if we start we’ll. If we start poorly enough for our odds to go out I’ll help myself to anything 16/1 or better. Only backing them off winnings. My reasoning is more based on looking at our competitors and not being impressed by any of them yet.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 513 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:37 am

I’m hoping that Lawton and Taylor are in the right headspace following relegation. They are my only concerns, but VK will monitor that. I then think that we have the best squad and will have squad strength in numbers. I have backed a few others as ‘cover bets’. Unable to back Watford or Norwich yet as their odds are too skinny.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:37 am

ClaretLoup wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:30 am
Whilst people are understandably focussed on the incoming prospects, and most of them are just that, don’t forget we have lost our two first choice keepers, our centre back pairing and replacement and if Cornet leaves, our only effective striker. So that’s half a dozen top players, by and large the ones who kept us within two goals of survival.

At the outset Vince said he was only going to plug the gaps with loanees and we have signed two already.

Personally I was hoping to sign some experience at centre back, a proven Championship wide player and a top striker and use our existing U23s as back up.
Still plenty of time to recruit an experienced CB, O'Hare would tick the proven Championship wide player role, agree on the striker, currently we've only got Barnes, Jay and perhaps Richardson as options up front, now if we could add someone such as Delap that would transform us as an attacking side in my view.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:15 am

It exciting the numbers coming in, but we've lost some experience and stability, particularly at the back. You need to be solid to avoid a relegation scrap but be able to score for promotion.

Mid table would be decent for us this season I think depending how we gel and who else comes in.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:28 am

I always think sides which clear out and then sign loads in one go are a recipe for disaster. Culture (if good) is at risk. Good habits lost. Feel of club changes etc. On the pitch new for everyone at once. Takes weeks to get started, before a positive surge forward.

If you don't get the surge, then relegation, with inexperienced players, is a huge danger.

That does not make me a doom and gloom merchant. Like it or not, money has been brought in from selling the best and re-invested, ad wanted, by club and manager. It is a 'one season windfall'. Burnley are making the vest of it. We could never be first in the prem. Only who acceptable wants to join.

So the owners will be pleased they have reshaped the finances and the manager should be ecstatic that he has got or will get, exactly who he wants.

The rest is up to him and the coaches, to sort the playing style and competitiveness.

So most risk and best chance with owners and management very happy at resources available for Championship.

If we are successful, how many are prem quality? That's for another day.

Up the Clarets. It will be exciting!

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:47 am

BabylonClaret wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:15 am

Mid table would be decent for us this season I think depending how we gel and who else comes in.
Nothing like lowering expectations. So basically a mid table finish is ok IF we get some more good players in?

What if we Don't?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:54 am

Spijed wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:47 am
Nothing like lowering expectations. So basically a mid table finish is ok IF we get some more good players in?

What if we Don't?
Relegation obviously :roll: :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: RVclaret Spijed

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 900 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:40 pm

Defence worries me (we need some experience in the centre) and I think we still need a marquee signing up front.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:52 pm

Everyone keeps going on about Delap, I really don't fancy him as a marquee signing, we talk of our own Richardson and injuries. Delap spent virtually all of last season injured with ankle and hip injuries. He has only just got "fully fit" or so we are being told. Feels like he would be one where so much is expected but there is a high chance of him spending more times on the sidelines

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:56 pm

It'll never replace football.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:10 pm

We are certainly signing exciting players, although relatively unproven.
My concern is the lack of experience at the back, although I'd have been happy with Collins, so hopefully one or 2 of the new ones have that natural, composed ability.

Biggest signing we need for me now would be a good keeper with the ability to organise the defence, I don't have much faith in BPF in any capacity (possibly unfairly, but just how I feel).

If it clicks, and the new system works, I'm looking forward to an exciting season.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6971 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:19 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:56 pm
You’d be surprised. Some posters on here only seem to bother with the transfer window. I heard that Fabrizio Romano also prefers a good transfer to a good game of football :lol:

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:22 pm

Mad innit. Amazing how many people are just into transfers and less bothered about the actual game. Although it's always fun to see them attempt to talk about the game as well, they're generally not very good at it.
These 3 users liked this post: AwayClaret tiger76 Rileybobs

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:08 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:56 pm
Aye roll on the season and actually seeing some competitive footy again. :)

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:04 pm

This transfer window has certainly thrown up a few areas for discussion within a number of topics.
The qty of comings and goings has made it exciting for the first time in many a season.
The quality is up for debate which will no doubt increase as the season progresses.
Style of play changing so dramatically has made it interesting and thought provoking. Staff changes and club messages have also contributed to further discussion.
It is without doubt something to look forward to and its the first time in many a season that i can't wait for it to start.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 tiger76

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3169 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:36 pm

Exciting.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:43 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:36 pm
Exciting.
Times.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Brunlea
Been Liked: 54 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Brunlea » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:10 pm

I think it has been the sort of transfer window we needed to reset. As far as I can see the focus is on up and coming talent and the club has not been risk averse. I am genuinely excited for next season but the reset also has to apply to us as fans and maybe don’t expect a return to the PL too soon. I hated last season it was like watching your best mate being beaten up etc. etc. almost every week. It will be nice to hopefully play attractive football and become a force in that league.
This user liked this post: tiger76