Kompany’s “two players for every position”

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
agreenwood
Been Liked: 1756 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Kompany’s “two players for every position”

Post by agreenwood » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:43 pm

Caught the pre-match conference earlier and heard VK say he wants two players for every position.

Notwithstanding any further departures I was trying to work out where the gaps are off the back of that comment.

Is Taylor a CB now or an LB? Will we see a new one of either of those arrive?

Are Cork, Brownhill, Bastien & Cullen seen as sufficient for the more central positions? Do we need more of a 10?

Is JBG still in the thinking which would mean we’ve got him, Benson in the wide areas, with the option of pushing Maatsen & Vintinho up?

How many strikers will we play with? Is there a gap of one or two?

The only position that looks fairly set is right back.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Re: Kompany’s “two players for every position”

Post by claretandy » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:46 pm

4 still needed,

striker
winger
CB.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:46 pm

I see it as right back, keeper, central midfield and one of left back/centre back sorted. Looks like he’ll want 1 more to fill the centre back/left back role, 1 more in the 2 attacking midfield positions and 1 more up top.

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 796 times
Has Liked: 1017 times

Post by Guller Bull » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:47 pm

I think you may need to factor in some of the U23's AG.

Costelloe out wide, Helm midfield, Tucker, Dodgeson Richardson etc
This user liked this post: agreenwood

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:51 pm

We currently have 3 right backs?

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3809 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:09 pm

GK: Muric, Norris, BPF
RB: Lowton, Roberts, Egan-Riley, Vitinho
LB: Taylor, Maatsen, Dodgson
CB: Taylor, Egan-Riley, Harwood-Bellis, Long, Mcnally, Thomas.
CM: Cork,Phillips, Helm, Brownhill, Cullen, Westwood, Bastien.
The wide advanced 2 CM's in a 4222: Vitinho, Costelloe, Benson, Gudmundsson, Brownhill, Bastien, Tucker, Twine.
ST: Rodriguez, Richardson, Barnes.

I assume Thomas goes on loan, Westwood and JBG are injured, Phillips goes on loan. What happens with Helm, Tucker, Richardson? do they not count? back to u23s or out on loan? If those 7 are taken out. We have 2 strikers, 4 deep CMs, 6 advanced CMs. 5 CBs. Not sure where we are short, apart from striker.
This user liked this post: gukwonan

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1756 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:19 pm

Not sure who counts where. Sounded like he felt we were short of more than just a player or two.

Suspect he’ll want to ship some out and some will want to leave. I don’t think BPF will be happy as backup for example.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:21 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:19 pm
Not sure who counts where. Sounded like he felt we were short of more than just a player or two.

Suspect he’ll want to ship some out and some will want to leave. I don’t think BPF will be happy as backup for example.
Yep I’m expecting Long and Lowton/Roberts (I hope not) might leave give. the numbers in defence and that he seemingly wants another cb.

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:45 am

I'm assuming we're going to be looking at another centre-back, another attacking midfielder, and a striker at the very minimum.

I'd personally prefer we get two strikers really, given how fragile Barnes and Rodriguez can be with injuries.

Looks like Bobby Thomas, and Kevin Long could be out once we get that another centre-back signing.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:44 am

He said yesterday that we were looking at getting Bobby Thomas out on loan to get some game time but I was trying to work this out last night and unless you start to count such as McGlynn & Richardson then surely it's up front where we are most short although players in that position are the most difficult to find and are the most expensive.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:03 am

At least 1 striker required, possibly 2 at a push.

Keeper also if one or both of BPF and Norris do leave.

Long, Lowton and Roberts may also be surplus to requirements, Long is unlikely to play, so needs to move for his own good, Lowton due to his age and high salary, Roberts because we may receive an offer from a PL club.

Judging by the line-up at Huddersfield, Costelloe, Dodgson and Phillips might now be considered 1st team contenders.

Thomas looks like going out on loan, as for the other u23's, if Kompany deems them worthy of selection they'll be given a chance, unlike his predecessor he isn't shy in blooding youth.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:11 am

Pretty sure Roberts won't be going anywhere, I think he'll be our starter at RB. He will love the way Kompany plays and will fit into his style perfectly. I think we need a CB, winger, 2 strikers. Possibly a keeper if BPF goes out on loan again.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:16 am

tiger76 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:03 am
At least 1 striker required, possibly 2 at a push.

Keeper also if one or both of BPF and Norris do leave.

Long, Lowton and Roberts may also be surplus to requirements, Long is unlikely to play, so needs to move for his own good, Lowton due to his age and high salary, Roberts because we may receive an offer from a PL club.

Judging by the line-up at Huddersfield, Costelloe, Dodgson and Phillips might now be considered 1st team contenders.

Thomas looks like going out on loan, as for the other u23's, if Kompany deems them worthy of selection they'll be given a chance, unlike his predecessor he isn't shy in blooding youth.
Phillips will be going on loan with Thomas.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:21 am

I never thought I'd say this but I can't wait for Cornet to go. We all know he won't be staying so sooner we bring the funds in fron his transfer, the quicker we can bring in the new players still needed. At the prices we're paying for upcoming talented players his fee would pretty much cover the 3/4 players needed. I like his mantra of two players for every position, provides necessary cover and competition for places. He also seems to like versatile players who can cover more than one position which gives many more options if a player isn't playing well.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:22 am

I like the way the squad is moulding together but I think we are still in the spine so for me we need reinforcements back up keeper, CB and striker.