Thoughts on the first 5 games

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Thoughts on the first 5 games

Post by tiger76 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:53 pm

As there's no midweek league game seems a good time to see early thoughts on what's gone well and what can still be improved on.

It's been somewhat up and down hasn't it, entertaining certainly, but results have been a mixed bag to say the least.

Glass half full you'd say we've only lost 1 in 5.

Glass half empty you'd say we've only won 1 in 5.

Weird because for spells in games we've looked classy, 1st half at Huddersfield, 1st half yesterday in particular, but then we've had halves where we've been lethargic, Luton and Watford 1st halves were notably off the pace.

Pluses: Brownhill is now adding goals to his game, TBH is looking the player we hoped, Jay has looked a threat in the past couple of games, Tella made a welcome impact yesterday. And we've controlled the majority of our games thus far.

Negatives: Defence is a bag of nerves, and this is starting to transfer to the stands, we are failing to put games to bed when on top, and naivety is abundant, though given it's a youthful new look squad teething problems can only be expected I suppose.

It's been roughly the start you'd expect with all the changes, and we're more than capable of vastly improving over the course of the season, however lessons need to be learnt and learnt quickly.

Finally we need to respect every team in this league, Blackpool kept plugging away yesterday despite being 3-1down and 2nd best for the first half, and they duly got their rewards late on as we faded as an attacking force.

I see lots to be optimistic about, however it's now 4 games without a win, and we've still to win at home, and the longer that barren run continues the more the pressure will build, so we do need to get this monkey off our back against Millwall, then we can look to kick on and move up the league.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Re: Thoughts on the first 5 games

Post by RVclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:57 pm

Results wise it’s the start I had expected. Performance wise it’s better than I expected. However we haven’t been able to put a 90 minute performance in yet (maybe Hudd) but hopefully that’s not far away. Couple of quality signings and another month or so of gelling and we are cooking. Thoroughly enjoying the new style of play and watching us.
This user liked this post: Pickles

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:02 pm

Performance wise it’s been largely positive, but the defence has been fairly calamitous at times.

Results wise I think it’s been disappointing.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4108 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:04 pm

Seems like the way the manager runs the team and the game has gone from one extreme to the other.

One couldn’t/wouldnt change it no matter how much the game was crying out for it, one can’t help messing with it even when it’s working well and we are very comfortable in the game.

Hopefully a balance will be found, and there will be an obvious tactical benefit from any changes going forward.

Happy to see the type of football being attempted, and happy they seem to have bought into the ethos.

Someone, very soon, is going to get a good hiding off us.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:14 pm

Still improvements needed down the whole spine of the team
Muric looks very unsteady when playing out from the back - is there room for improvement from him or do we change the style
Taylor is not a CB - hopefully we will see something of McNally for the next 3 games with Taylor being used in the Maatsen role
CM still lacks any height, bite and pace - Brownhill does seem to be the rising star in this area
Barnes is no longer a worthy striker - and Twine will not replace him as the front man if Jay gets injured
Other than the back line we seem to have brought in a load of players with little or no height at all

The overall style we are trying to play is way better than the tactics under Dyche in latter seasons but it is going to take time
This season is one of consolidation into the new style for me and I am more than happy to accept another year in the Championship after this one
Last edited by jojomk1 on Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:15 pm

Think the Huddersfield game put us in a false sense of security, particularly with more players to arrive. WE need to be mindful that any Championship side, however much we dominate, will respond at some point in the game, thats when we need to dig in, manage the game time, but importantly have good defenders who stay switched on and read the opposition. This is where we have lost too many points -classic example yesterday with Blackpool. Some very good signs-the next two weeks in player recruitment will dictate our season

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:15 pm

More pragmatism needed

Footballing philosophy is great and all but some times you’ve just gotta get stuck in, don’t mess about and manage games properly

Hopefully VK has learnt from this

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:16 pm

The football on show is far better albeit interspersed with moments of modern madness. If the Keeper insists on playing football, he needs to pick the right pass for it to be effective. A number of his decisions have cost us and arguably could have been more than one goal yesterday.

Hopefully like a puzzle a quick solution will occur because when it clicks we look very, very good.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:18 pm

Regards the "new era"

Positives

Loving the openness and honesty in press conferences.
Some great content coming out regards behind the scenes and player reveals.
The football being played at times is fantastic viewing
There are no really good looking sides that will steam roller the league ( so far, a couple may recruit and grow into them dides in the coming months )

Negatives
We look unorganised and nieve at the back
A bit lightweight in both boxes
Away ticket organisation ( posting them out and regularly getting it wrong ) is a shambles
We are about 2 points off being par where I thought would be acceptable given the fixtures

I did think this side could have propelled massively with back to back wins, however I suppose that shows how green some of the additions ( and maybe coaches) are to this league and what's needed to win a game, you can't win a game in a good 45 mins, yet also as shown you can make sure you certainly won't win it with a sloppy 5 minutes, as shown in a couple of games already.

A lot of growth needed.

I keep thinking how will we respond with these kicks in the teeth ( draws ) and it's not been very well to be honest , I just pray we don't lose a couple on the spin as I don't think this squad has the characters to bounce back and galvanise like the 23 undefeated team did.

Going to be an interesting 2 or 3 weeks, it'll certainly go a long way to helping me make my mind up where we will end up.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

CohibaClaret
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by CohibaClaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:22 pm

I totally agree with the style of play but you need to mix it up more and know when it’s time to play more direct when the game requires it like at the end of the 1st half against Blackpool and the start of the second half. Otherwise you get found out too easy and make it easy for opponents. There was no need to take so much risk when leading 3-1. That was a mistake that brought Blackpool back in the game. Switching to a counter attacking, direct approach when 3-1 up would have been the way to go.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Post by Pickles » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:36 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:57 pm
Results wise it’s the start I had expected. Performance wise it’s better than I expected. However we haven’t been able to put a 90 minute performance in yet (maybe Hudd) but hopefully that’s not far away. Couple of quality signings and another month or so of gelling and we are cooking. Thoroughly enjoying the new style of play and watching us.
This.

We're possibly one win short to reflect how we've played.
This user liked this post: jen1066

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:38 pm

I simply do not understand this passing around the keeper. Ok if you have players the quality of Man City but we don’t have that luxury. Cost us 2 points yesterday. And might have just cost Chelsea 3 at Leeds !

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:40 pm

My thoughts are pretty much where they were at the start of the season: we're by far the best team in this league and should be winning it. There are still a couple of problem positions (centre half and reserve striker) but I fully expect that with Maatsen suspended we will see Taylor back at left back and one of the new lads in the team and see no reason they won't do well.

We've been the better team in every game we've played and it's only down to 1) not having Rodriguez available for 90 mins each game and 2) the team needing time to gel that we haven't won all five.

I think the style of football is great, it definitely feels frustrating to play like this and not win but that's a product of how well we're playing.

Overall, absolutely thrilled. I've been as critical as anyone of the takeover and the owners but bringing in Kompany and letting him sign his own players has been a masterstroke.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Pickles

ArthurShelby
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by ArthurShelby » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:44 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:40 pm
My thoughts are pretty much where they were at the start of the season: we're by far the best team in this league and should be winning it. There are still a couple of problem positions (centre half and reserve striker) but I fully expect that with Maatsen suspended we will see Taylor back at left back and one of the new lads in the team and see no reason they won't do well.

We've been the better team in every game we've played and it's only down to 1) not having Rodriguez available for 90 mins each game and 2) the team needing time to gel that we haven't won all five.

I think the style of football is great, it definitely feels frustrating to play like this and not win but that's a product of how well we're playing.

Overall, absolutely thrilled. I've been as critical as anyone of the takeover and the owners but bringing in Kompany and letting him sign his own players has been a masterstroke.

We’re by far the best team in this division based on what ? :lol:

We are miles off from being a top 6 team never mind winning the league. We will do well to to finish in the top half, we are awful at the back and don’t have a goal scorer, are we relying on Brownhill for goals ?
This user liked this post: jojomk1

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:57 pm

The fundamentals of a very good side are there. Yesterday was very naive and, while I like our style of football, you have to be much more pragmatic when you’re two goals up in a game. Don’t give teams who don’t deserve it unnecessary encouragement in a game. We desperately need a big CB and a quality striking option. Get those in and Twine back, and we have an excellent squad. Some good lessons should’ve been learnt from yesterday. Points wise, I would perhaps have expected a couple more, but it doesn’t look like a team is going to run away with it this year. Couple of wins and we’re probably close to the top of the league again.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:57 pm

ArthurShelby wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:44 pm
We’re by far the best team in this division based on what ? :lol:

We are miles off from being a top 6 team never mind winning the league. We will do well to to finish in the top half, we are awful at the back and don’t have a goal scorer, are we relying on Brownhill for goals ?
We are not ‘miles off’ being a top 6 team at all, that’s just nonsense.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:00 pm

We are 16th. 3 points off relegation and 2 points off play offs. We need to start winning soon

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:07 pm

It's too early to know what sort of season we will have. However, we are currently not physically strong enough. None of our outfield players used so far are bigger than 6 foot 1 and most are small. I am concerned that every other side will out muscle us, especially now that they have seen us play. Corners are a big problem at either end.
This user liked this post: jojomk1

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:09 pm

It's been both enjoyable and at times frustrating. Unfortunately we haven't achieved as many as points as I expected given the teams we've played. It's very much early days and so it will take time and hopefully another couple of signings to further improve.

ArthurShelby

Post by ArthurShelby » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:18 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:57 pm
We are not ‘miles off’ being a top 6 team at all, that’s just nonsense.
Based on what ? We will get bullied every game in the Championship with this team, we are soft, easy to score against.

We have Ashley Barnes & Jay Rodriguez as our only strikers :lol:

We have signed a load of cheap foreign players nobody has heard of….

It wouldn’t be a shock to me if we went down.

bpgburn
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by bpgburn » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:25 pm

Way to early after only 5 games to be predicting promotion, play off or relegation. What I would say is (for me), it looks promising and I am enjoying the football again win, lose or draw.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:25 pm

ArthurShelby wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:18 pm
Based on what ? We will get bullied every game in the Championship with this team, we are soft, easy to score against.

You’re on a wind up, you have to be.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11058 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:28 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:53 pm
so we do need to get this monkey off our back against Millwall, then we can look to kick on and move up the league.
Without wanting to sound like a doom monger (this is more a tactical post) Millwall are one of if not the best set piece teams in the League, very physical side with loads of height. If we continue to give away silly free kicks like we did yesterday we will get spanked against Millwall

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:29 pm

ArthurShelby wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:18 pm

Sadly - I have to agree. Very lightweight looking. Something I heard yesterday...."This is what happens when a team does the simple things badly".

Goalposts
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:30 pm

Am I happy with. The signings so far - yes
Am I happy with the style of play - yes

Does the playing out from the back make me. Nervous - yes
Would I change playing out - No just need to make calls when to go long

Is the reaction of blind panic by some fans idiotic - yes
AM i enjoying the championship more than the prem - yes
Do i miss dyche ball. - no

Do we need a striker and CH - yes

Do i think VK will ultimately get it right - yes

Will we still have doom mongers and people moaning week in week out - yes
These 4 users liked this post: Vegas Claret jos tiger76 Goody1975

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:45 pm

I think the real positive so far is despite us being a completely new team that is struggling to put two halves together we aren't getting spanked. Picking up points

ArthurShelby

Post by ArthurShelby » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:48 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:25 pm
You’re on a wind up, you have to be.
Why ?!!! We can have all the possession we want we can’t do the basics needed to win football matches, it might click it might not but at the moment we are a long long way off being a promotion contender.

Wait till we play Millwall the best team in the league at set pieces. We might have 70% of the ball and score 3 but it means nothing if they score 4 from 2 corners and 2 free kicks, which at the moment could very well happen.

We are Tiny as a team, all these soft foreign wingers haven’t played in a division as tough as the Championship, we are signing players from the Dog & Duck league.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:51 pm

First thing Kompany needs to do is lock the back door. Blackpool had 30% possession and the same number of shots as Burnley with double the amount on target.

Unfortunately IMHO Harwood Bellis and Maatsen look good on the ball but they don’t look like great defender's. Probably the best defender we have is Taylor and he’s playing him out of position. Look at the second goal conceded, no real danger but Maatsen couldn’t close the wide man down and the rest of the defence (Cullen and Cork included) were all ball watching whilst three Blackpool players were queuing up on the back post.

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 733 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:57 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:07 pm
It's too early to know what sort of season we will have. However, we are currently not physically strong enough. None of our outfield players used so far are bigger than 6 foot 1 and most are small. I am concerned that every other side will out muscle us, especially now that they have seen us play. Corners are a big problem at either end.
I totally agree, some pretty football at times but too lightweight physically in a number of positions. The opening 20 minutes at Watford we were superb without having a shot on goal then the sheer physicality of Watford got them back in the game.

This goalkeepers thinking they are footballers is doing my nut in - Mendy today for Chelsea - so I'm not a fan of that element of VK's philosophy but I do like the quick passing game when we are in full flow.

Work in Progress I guess summarises the first 5 games.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:07 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:51 pm
First thing Kompany needs to do is lock the back door. Blackpool had 30% possession and the same number of shots as Burnley with double the amount on target.

Unfortunately IMHO Harwood Bellis and Maatsen look good on the ball but they don’t look like great defender's. Probably the best defender we have is Taylor and he’s playing him out of position. Look at the second goal conceded, no real danger but Maatsen couldn’t close the wide man down and the rest of the defence (Cullen and Cork included) were all ball watching whilst three Blackpool players were queuing up on the back post.
That's exactly what both Stoke and Coventry fans said about them - both superb but both very raw defensively, we clearly need some experience - Taylor is far too quiet as the 'senior' pro in the back line

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:07 pm

ArthurShelby wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:48 pm
Why ?!!! We can have all the possession we want we can’t do the basics needed to win football matches, it might click it might not but at the moment we are a long long way off being a promotion contender.

Wait till we play Millwall the best team in the league at set pieces. We might have 70% of the ball and score 3 but it means nothing if they score 4 from 2 corners and 2 free kicks, which at the moment could very well happen.

We are Tiny as a team, all these soft foreign wingers haven’t played in a division as tough as the Championship, we are signing players from the Dog & Duck league.
Why are you banging on about Millwall? We’ve played Luton, a team equally as impressive on set pieces, and should’ve beat them. Ah right, it’s the foreign thing - should just stick to signing good British pros like Dale Stephens eh? We needlessly let Blackpool back in it again through some naive play, hardly the case that they battered us or anything. Some ridiculous comments.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 922 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:16 pm

Besides the team needing some physicality the manager needs to.learn a few things too. His first two sustitutions yesterday helped, along with Muric, to allow Blackpool back into tge game. A game we ought to have won easily.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:17 pm

And the point is, nobody is showing themselves to be a promotion contender at the moment. Rovers put a run together, now lost their last two, Boro were one of the faves, currently bottom three, WBA another favourite, level on points with us, Shef United top at the mo but only four points ahead. There are question marks but to just write off our ‘foreign’ signings and tactics in one fell swoop is utterly crazy

Goody1975
Been Liked: 992 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:20 pm

Very good and in a way I'm glad we are having teething issues before the transfer window closes. VK said himself that it's impossible for all his signings to work out, especially in the short term.

I think we are getting there

The three most advanced players (Jay, Tella & Brownhill) gave us legs going forward yesterday, Vitiniho doesn't seem to know whether to stick or twist due to Roberts sitting deeper, his place in the team is likely to go to either Twine or Churlinov once they are fit and bedded in.

I really think that adding legs to the defence is just as important as the dominance in the air, the high line leaves us incredibly vulnerable to a breakaway as has been seen several times at home so far this season. McNally looks from the outside to be the ideal man for the job but he may be seen as being too raw for the role at present.

The two players in danger are Taylor and Roberts. Roberts is filling the job that we expected Cullen to take when we are building attacks, he doesn't look comfortable doing it and has a severe lack of pace. Charlie is way out of his comfort zone and he is not confident enough to play early passes into the midfield two and will often take the easy option square to THB, he also is vulnerable to breakaways by the opposition.

I have absolutely no issue with Muric passing the ball out from the back and was on here yesterday sticking up for him, my issue with him is him not commanding his area on corners and free kicks, we may have been spoilt with having the best in the business between our sticks for the past few years but he has to help out the defence by being confident and decisive.

So far it's a 7/10 for me.

Looking forward to Tuesday giving the opportunity for the fringe players to stake a claim for a first team spot.
These 2 users liked this post: Vegas Claret Matt_Whalley

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:23 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:17 pm
And the point is, nobody is showing themselves to be a promotion contender at the moment. Rovers put a run together, now lost their last two, Boro were one of the faves, currently bottom three, WBA another favourite, level on points with us, Shef United top at the mo but only four points ahead. There are question marks but to just write off our ‘foreign’ signings and tactics in one fell swoop is utterly crazy
I don't think anybody is completely writing the signings off in "one fell swoop" I think what perhaps some people could be saying is the football so far in patches/Half's has been underwhelming & collectively we don't seem to be at the races, but as you correctly say it's not just us who are inconsistent nobody yet have shown that a run can be put together the tables all over the place with erratic results.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6766 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:24 pm

14 players out, some very good ones.
Their replacements have cost a fraction of the money brought in, and some are very raw.
The style of football is exciting, and much less risk averse than that of the previous regime.
I'd say if we get 50 points this season (so maintaining similar points per game as now) we will have done very well.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:25 pm

To play in the style that the manager is looking for it requires every single player in his squad to be 'on board' with it. Players have to be comfortable with their position and comfortable with the ball, either at their feet or coming towards them. The squad is literally still coming together but I feel there are some established players finding it tough to adapt. The managers dilemma; give them more time or try to replace them. His season and ours will be determined by decisions made in the next 10 days.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:32 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:24 pm
I'd say if we get 50 points this season (so maintaining similar points per game as now) we will have done very well.
That's likely to see us flirt with relegation

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:39 pm

I'm just enjoying it. You can't expect instant results when so much has changed but there are far more positive than negatives.

We've averaged 70.6% possession so far. In the last six seasons only nine teams have averaged 60% or more and all but one have finished top six. The stats are very much on our side.
These 2 users liked this post: Hipper jen1066

taio

Post by taio » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:39 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:32 pm
Yes, it would be far from doing very well.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:41 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:32 pm
Some people's expectations are a little high, in my opinion.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times

Post by Conroy92 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:45 pm

It's a difficult one.

The football is certainly better in a much more technical sense but equally as frustrating at times. It arguably has the potential to get better when the squad gels.

The football is a complete contrast to what we saw under Dyche. Flowing moving football, passing all the time, players beating men. The onus is on attacking. This is compared to, shape, graft, defense and simple options. (Not that I'm slagging Dyche in any way, it was very effective for a period) where I'm being a little harsh is that this was the style from the last 2-3 years. Certainly when we last played in the championship under Dyche and maybe the first few seasons in the prem the football was more 'mixed'.

The refusal to play a ball into the box or clear a ball, when in a position down the flanks or at the back currently, from either players or management instructions is equally as frustrating as last year's refusal to pass and play through the centre from either player or management instructions. (Not attempting to attribute blame)

I just hope we can evolve this style or sign the experience that says, this is when it is ok to put your foot through it or you should be swinging a ball in, in that position.

The results mean I can probably only give it a 6 out of 10 but performances more like a 7.

It's early doors in the season and the teams arguably not had time to gel and there maybe more transfer business too, so Kompany gets a bit of leeway there. But if it comes to Christmas time and we're still making mistakes like yesterdays at the back, still getting to the edges of the area but not delivering crosses in, people are going to get frustrated by this style. Like I say I hope it's acknowledged in the system there is a time to clear a ball or cross one in.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:49 pm

northernpowerhouse wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:39 pm

We've averaged 70.6% possession so far. In the last six seasons only nine teams have averaged 60% or more and all but one have finished top six. The stats are very much on our side.
Conversely the opposition have had 30% possession and scored as many goals and taken as many points as Burnley.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:49 pm

Oops, and sorry.
Our points per game carried on should be nearer 60, which is my mistake.
60 would be doing very well.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:53 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:49 pm
Oops, and sorry.
Our points per game carried on should be nearer 60, which is my mistake.
60 would be doing very well.
It would be 55 points...and not doing very well

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:55 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:53 pm
It would be 55 points...and not doing very well

That would be fine. I think Peterboro set the record for the highest points for a relegated side (54)

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3807 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:57 pm

I think ALK have done a tremendous job in lowering expectations while reinvesting as little as possible on quite poor players. I think our best players are the loan players, not a good sign. If it wasn't for VK (who I fully trust and support), I'd fancy this club to be in serious trouble of relegation in the next 2-3 years.

Now ALK have got most of the money out of the club that they possibly could, I question their future motivation. Now we're gonna decline year on year with income dwindling as ALK run to make profit every year (because they can't cover losses).

It is what it is, fans accepted this already without much fuss. I see VK's vision but you need to reinvest for it to work, we're forever taking the cheap option and so far, I'm not convinced by really any of the permanent additions, maybe aside from Cullen. Bored of saying it but if you put 2 quality additions into this side, it's a different story. That would require some level of reinvestment from the £20m Mcneil fee which has likely already gone out of the club.
Last edited by KRBFC on Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:57 pm

We’ll beat Wigan next week with Twine back, actual centre half playing centre half and Taylor at left back, and all will look rosey again

taio

Post by taio » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:03 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:55 pm
That would be fine. I think Peterboro set the record for the highest points for a relegated side (54)
It would be disappointing to finish so far down the table. I can't imagine many people - even those with moderate expectations - would think we had done very well if that's what happened.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:07 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:40 pm

Interesting post this (and this isn’t an attempt to challenge it as such) but are you saying that anything but promotion this season is outright failure in your view then (‘we’re the best team in the division and should be winning it’)? I hope I eat a hat/humble pie but I’m struggling to see a promotion charge….currently. We have 41 games left so there is plenty of time for that to occur but I feel there are a few fundamentals that need work. When we have as many promotions from this league in recent memory as we all do, I think we have good insight as to what is generally required - but this team is so, so different that it’s very hard to compare.

Positives:

- Style of football, when it is played at the right tempo, is excellent to watch. Truly excellent.

- Cullen, Maatsen, Harwood-Bellis and Tella look good signings. A shame that three of them are loans.

- Brownhill performing well and could well be someone who goes on to get 12-15 goals for us in the position we have him playing.

Negatives:

- Defending and goalkeeping distribution is naive and too entrenched in its philosophy as an absolute. Hopefully they will learn that on occasion (especially when having a healthy lead…) there is no shame in either row Z or a long ball at the right/key moments.

- Five games in so it’s hard to really give overall opinion on players, but some of the new signings are going to have to make a large step up to this divisions quality. Bastien has had moments, Benson looks like he is struggling, Vitinho better as a sub at present but a bit of a curates egg, not seen enough of the others to judge. We will get a better picture on this after 10-15 games or so as to whether they are likely to make the grade.

- Tempo is so inconsistent. Possession is great but if 60-70% of it is Taylor and THB knocking it back and forth between them as we saw far too much of against Luton and Hull particularly, then we aren’t using it to its fullest. When we inject a bit of pace or try to play a bit less ‘safe’ we get our rewards.

- Strikers are a problem, though hopefully the news of a bid today for the lad from Metz shows that Kompany has accepted this.

- Need a proper centre back to slot in alongside THB, height should be one of the key considerations here too.

- Broken record me on this possibly, and it’s not personal as he seems a lovely bloke, but I don’t think Connor Roberts is good enough for what is being asked of him. I’d be gobsmacked if a club ‘bigger’ than us would pay for him but if they would I’d get it done. I’d rather Lowton was there myself, or give Vitinho a go in his actual position and see what he’s about. I certainly don’t see him as a shoe in for a starting berth.
This user liked this post: forzagranata