Set Pieces

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
burnleymik
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 2923 times

Set Pieces

Post by burnleymik » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:02 am

Not wanting to put a downer on what was an outstanding performance, but we are having a really hard time with set pieces recently.

Two good free kick positions tonight wasted and we have seen so many wasted corners and FK's in other games.

Obviously Twine will play a big role in that, but should we switch it up at corners etc, mainly due to our lack of height? We are winning so many more now that it could be another weapon in our arsenal.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Re: Set Pieces

Post by KRBFC » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:16 am

We didn't have a natural set piece taker on the pitch tonight, that will change with Twine back. In previous games we've took more short corners, could definitely do with some work though.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11062 times
Has Liked: 5667 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:18 am

our lack of invention has surprised me how. Also, we have a Brazilian; isn't it the law to give them the free kicks ?
This user liked this post: burnleymik

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:05 am

I'm sure on a staff introduction interview one of them said he was the set peice coach.

Other than some time out looking T gesture Brownhill does with his arms, I'm not sure what's changed, it just seems to mean a over hit corner like previously 🤣😉

But I do agree we seem to be quite poor, but as previously stated, Twine and hopefully a tall commanding CB will help change that.
Set plays are a massive part of football, especially in this league, and we look poor in both boxes imo

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:22 am

My guess is it's simply a lack of coaching time but will come good as the season goes on and the team needs less work on general play.

Dingo
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Dingo » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:22 am

burnleymik wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:02 am
Not wanting to put a downer on what was an outstanding performance, but we are having a really hard time with set pieces recently.

Two good free kick positions tonight wasted and we have seen so many wasted corners and FK's in other games.

Obviously Twine will play a big role in that, but should we switch it up at corners etc, mainly due to our lack of height? We are winning so many more now that it could be another weapon in our arsenal.
Do you have any suggestions for alternative approaches? Or, what would you like to see us try instead? The strategy for free kicks outside the box seems to be shoot at goal. I don't think I'd change that as we have the players who can score direct, and as you say, when Twine is playing potentially a greater threat. Corners we've predominantly been playing short this season, but Millwall tactically closed that option off last night by pressing hard in the corner. I thought we did try a few new things such as the pull back to Roberts (didn't work out), a long and deep one to Roberts running in to meet it (didn't work), plus the standard get it in the six-yard area approach. I suppose we could be more inventive with pre-planned movements in the box.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:28 pm

Cotterill had some good free kicks and corners, often numerous variations on a similar theme.

Here's my all time favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaoIznGKIcM

During the Bond era I put an article about this free kick in the London Clarets newsletter which the club received. Some weeks later his team attempted this method but failed. Coincidence?

thomaspaine
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by thomaspaine » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:38 pm

We took an unusual corner on Tuesday night with a training ground routine that I don’t remember seeing before ….certainly not on the Turf . Every outfield player from both sides seemed to be condensed in the six yard box with nobody on the edge of the box . When we took the corner several of our players turned and ran back towards the 18 yard line ….. nothing came of it but it struck me as being quite unusual ( and risky ) with the chance of a breakaway . It’s another example of the ‘ new way ‘ under VC .