Falling over and feigning injury

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Falling over and feigning injury

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:03 pm

Let’s put a stop to that please Vincent, we’re better than that.
This user liked this post: Claret Till I Die

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Re: Falling over and feigning injury

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:07 pm

Yea, we can’t call other teams on it and be ok when we do it.

Poor.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:08 pm

Churlinov really disappointed me with that and his greed tonight.
These 3 users liked this post: Teddy Cirrus_Minor Top Claret

Teddy
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by Teddy » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:10 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:08 pm
Churlinov really disappointed me with that and his greed tonight.
Completely agree. Very greedy although I get he wanted to start with a bang. The writhing on the floor and then getting up when the ball comes near really winds me up from other teams and I don’t want to see a Burnley player doing it.
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat The Enclosure

forzagranata
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by forzagranata » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:13 pm

Churlinov’s bad decisions cost us there

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:13 pm

Cost us the game all that faking injuries,serves us right..

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:33 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:13 pm
Cost us the game all that faking injuries,serves us right..
Don’t agree with that, but Churlinov needs to cut out that stuff that goes on in continental leagues
This user liked this post: DCWat

Marty Dobson
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 261 times

Post by Marty Dobson » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:14 pm

Belgianclaret wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:33 pm
Don’t agree with that, but Churlinov needs to cut out that stuff that goes on in continental leagues
Oh yeah no one does it in the PL or EFL
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:21 pm

Belgianclaret wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:33 pm
It’s a really embarrassing part of football. I hate seeing it and don’t want to see us doing it, even if occasionally we lose out because of it.

We didn’t see much of that malarkey under Dyche (barring Barnes’ shithousery) and I hope it’s not something that we see more of under Kompany.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:21 pm

Give it a rest, why be a martyr? The officials consistently show they aren’t up to it so you may as well join in than try and maintain a non existent moral high ground.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:27 pm

DCWat wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:21 pm
It’s a really embarrassing part of football. I hate seeing it and don’t want to see us doing it, even if occasionally we lose out because of it.

We didn’t see much of that malarkey under Dyche (barring Barnes’ shithousery) and I hope it’s not something that we see more of under Kompany.
You’d see Barnes winning free kicks… but he doesn’t go down with a fractured knee cap, only to get straight up back up again when the ball is played near to him.

Darko wasn't the only one doing it either. It’s a horrible tactic. I hope it’s not something VK likes to employ regularly as he’s really gone down in my estimations to be honest. It was happening too often.
This user liked this post: Middle-agedClaret

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:27 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Give it a rest, why be a martyr? The officials consistently show they aren’t up to it so you may as well join in than try and maintain a non existent moral high ground.
That’s akin to wondering why we should bother going green if China / India/ USA / AN Other continues to pump out as much **** at they can.

Is it being a martyr to want your team to play the game in the right way? I’ve been berating Barnes for years for all his nonsense - I don’t like seeing it, either by us or against us.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:31 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Have to say, I thought our game management was exemplary. In the end we conceded, but util that point I though we were managing a game where we were off/they were good very well.

All this holier than thou stuff I’m not in to. Other teams manage games, fake injuries, etc. I don’t like it done to us and I don’t like us doing it. But other teams will deploy these strategies and if we don’t we’ll end up moral victors with no silverware. We need to man and wise up. I’m fine with that.
This user liked this post: bfcmik

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:40 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:27 pm
You’d see Barnes winning free kicks… but he doesn’t go down with a fractured knee cap, only to get straight up back up again when the ball is played near to him.

Darko wasn't the only one doing it either. It’s a horrible tactic. I hope it’s not something VK likes to employ regularly as he’s really gone down in my estimations to be honest. It was happening too often.
Perhaps I’m a little naive but I don’t see that nonsense from a Burnley team. What ever style we might play (and I’ve loved much of what I’ve seen from us this season) I don’t want us to be feigning injury or looking for cheap free kicks and bookings. I didn’t notice anything against Millwall though I did see a few comment on their board about us waving imaginary cards etc.

That we’ve been labelled thugs by Klopp and the like is something I saw as a badge of honour. We’ve often been a physical team and I think the majority of us want us to be that, but it’s pretty much always been on the right side of the rules.

Hard and fair is what I want - you can’t be that and at the same time rolling around like you’ve been snipered at fifty yards.

I never saw Kompany as that sort of player and I’d be surprised if any such direction came from him. Hopefully it’s something we stamp out pretty quickly from those that have been playing that way at their previous clubs.
These 2 users liked this post: claptrappers_union The Enclosure

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:46 pm

I agree with Newclaret.

A bloke who sits near me goes mental about a player nicking 5 yards from a free kick or a throw and players kicking a ball way or not giving it direct to the opposition etc. Book Him, Booooook Him, he shouts.

If you watch how other players react to this stuff they barely bat an eye lid. The reason is that they all do it and they know it’s part of the game….however much we may wish that they all behaved wonderfully game in and game out.

We are no better thought of by anybody for being nice and tonight Sky didn’t even bother looking at the free kick in the build up to their equaliser.

Why continue to be nice when all you do is get shafted by those that don’t.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:52 pm

DCWat wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:27 pm
That’s akin to wondering why we should bother going green if China / India/ USA / AN Other continues to pump out as much **** at they can.

Is it being a martyr to want your team to play the game in the right way? I’ve been berating Barnes for years for all his nonsense - I don’t like seeing it, either by us or against us.
It really isn’t anything like the same.

It’s a game of sport not a matter of continuing human existence.

Games of sport, especially at elite levels are all about gaining any advantage you can, for me, if officials aren’t capable of spotting it then you may as well join in. If you don’t you’re at a disadvantage.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:01 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:46 pm
I agree with Newclaret.

A bloke who sits near me goes mental about a player nicking 5 yards from a free kick or a throw and players kicking a ball way or not giving it direct to the opposition etc. Book Him, Booooook Him, he shouts.

If you watch how other players react to this stuff they barely bat an eye lid. The reason is that they all do it and they know it’s part of the game….however much we may wish that they all behaved wonderfully game in and game out.

We are no better thought of by anybody for being nice and tonight Sky didn’t even bother looking at the free kick in the build up to their equaliser.

Why continue to be nice when all you do is get shafted by those that don’t.
Your advocating a can’t beat them join them mentality.
I’m suggesting we can beat them, without joining them, especially at this level. Admittedly it may be old school thinking.

It all becomes a bit pantomime for me with all the ‘modern’ nonsense. I love seeing a proper footballer who accepts that he’s going to get the odd tough challenge but just gets up and carries on.

For me, that sends a far stronger message to the opposition than half a dozen rolls along the grass before writhing around in faux agony.

Quite where the rolling around to suggest a serious injury comes from is beyond me! The last thing anyone does with a serious injury is roll anywhere!

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:17 am

DCWat wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:01 am
Your advocating a can’t beat them join them mentality.
I’m suggesting we can beat them, without joining them, especially at this level. Admittedly it may be old school thinking.

It all becomes a bit pantomime for me with all the ‘modern’ nonsense. I love seeing a proper footballer who accepts that he’s going to get the odd tough challenge but just gets up and carries on.

For me, that sends a far stronger message to the opposition than half a dozen rolls along the grass before writhing around in faux agony.

Quite where the rolling around to suggest a serious injury comes from is beyond me! The last thing anyone does with a serious injury is roll anywhere!
Sadly you’re putting too much trust in officials.

If I felt you’d get the rub of the green by doing the right thing I’d be all for it but quite frankly you don’t, so why bother?

Look at some of the challenges that didn’t result in free kicks tonight, who can then blame a player for trying to make it obvious they’d been fouled when the officials can’t even see what’s directly in front of them.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:55 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:17 am
Sadly you’re putting too much trust in officials.

If I felt you’d get the rub of the green by doing the right thing I’d be all for it but quite frankly you don’t, so why bother?

Look at some of the challenges that didn’t result in free kicks tonight, who can then blame a player for trying to make it obvious they’d been fouled when the officials can’t even see what’s directly in front of them.
Not at all. I’ve been watching long enough to not put my faith in officials.

There’s a less than subtle difference between exaggerating an incident to ensure a foul is spotted (I don’t miss those screams from the Premier League) to feigning injury or diving.

I think we are actually worse off because of the feigning, diving and to put it bluntly, cheating.

Have referees got worse or have players made their jobs far more difficult by adopting any means possible to gain what they perceive might be an advantage.

There are some poor referees (there always have been) but when we take into account the feigning, diving, exaggerating etc. and possibly even more importantly, the fact that every decision in analysed to within an inch of its life, it’s no wonder more faults are being spotted in the performances of referees.

I suspect that if games from more than twenty / thirty years ago were reviewed and analysed as they are today, we’d probably see referees from yesteryear looking far worse than those we have today.

I want us to win, I also want us to win the right way.
This user liked this post: Hipper

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 512 times
Has Liked: 1063 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:12 am

The only thing that Darko got wrong was not hitting that ball into the centre for JBG, but then he was at pitch level and didn’t have the benefit of a tv camera shot. I want a player to be ‘greedy’ at times. He was so close to being the hero. When he hit the post he was losing his balance as he had to wait for the ball to reach him and he had just got slightly in front of it. To me that was a very promising showing from Darko and he is going to be a fans favourite. He’s going to get at least 10 goals for the season.
Don’t batter the lad just yet. Let him find his feet (literally).
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Burnley Ace

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:26 am

I hate it and its not the Burnley way.We are above all that cheating.I hope VK nips it in the bud

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:09 am

A bit of going down with ‘cramp’ in the final few minutes would have got us 2 extra points. Every other team does it and it would have helped us use up the 8 minutes dreamt up by that appalling excuse for a referee

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3193 times
Has Liked: 1873 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:11 am

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:09 am
A bit of going down with ‘cramp’ in the final few minutes would have got us 2 extra points. Every other team does it and it would have helped us use up the 8 minutes dreamt up by that appalling excuse for a referee
Didn’t help Newcastle the other night though

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:24 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:11 am
Didn’t help Newcastle the other night though
Pope down injured for 60 seconds. Ref adds on 3 extra minutes. Sounds very similar to our game.
On the VAR chart, Newcastle are still very low down so again today, a pathetic VAR decision goes against them in favour of a side in the mid-VAR-table. West ham - about 5th/6th on their chart get a taste of anothet daft decision as they were playing Chelsea (3rd on the list)

That joke post on another thread last week just seems quite right. Stockley Park seem to have a two stage process:-
1. Is the decision one that is blindingly obvious? If yes, make that decision.
2. Is there a possibility of it being interpreted either way? If yes., refer to the chart and find in favour of the highest ranked club.

When it should read:-
2. Is there a possibility of it being interpreted either way? If yes then keep the f**k out of it and let the refs decision stand even if the ref is rubbish.

The interesting thing is that monied up man city and Newcastle still appear way below their likely league position on the VAR chart, but Chelsea do very well.

Obviously, we were in the bottom 3 for 6 consecutive seasons.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:27 pm

I don't like it, and I believe it's ruining the game.
But it happens and it won't go away any time soon.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:46 am

The Enclosure wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:26 am
I hate it and its not the Burnley way.We are above all that cheating.I hope VK nips it in the bud
Ashley Barnes has been throwing himself to the deck at every opportunity for years now?

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:14 am

Jamesy wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:46 am
Ashley Barnes has been throwing himself to the deck at every opportunity for years now?
And plenty have been critical of it.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:37 am

Mendy earned his side 2 points yesterday by his theatrics, so as long as blatant cheating is rewarded they'll continue to do it.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:42 am

Jamesy wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:46 am
There’s a big difference, Barnes anticipates the contact and gives the referee an option, if he doesn’t win the free-kick he will sit in the floor with his arms in the air, but get back up.

Fans get more frustrated because he could’ve won the duel without winning the free kick.

You have to also consider if Barnes is instructed to do by the Burnley manager, past and present

What Darko Churlinov did at West Brom was that of a scumbag. But is that he has been instructed to by the manager too?

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:44 am

Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:42 am
There’s a big difference, Barnes anticipates the contact and gives the referee an option, if he doesn’t win the free-kick he will sit in the floor with his arms in the air, but get back up.

Fans get more frustrated because he could’ve won the duel without winning the free kick.

You have to also consider if Barnes is instructed to do by the Burnley manager, past and present

What Darko Churlinov did at West Brom was that of a scumbag. But is that he has been instructed to by the manager too?
This is a joke right?

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:48 am

No, because if it was an opposition player, we’d be using the same language and pointing the same accusations at their manager instead.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:13 pm

Seems that we still do this. The fly in the ointment when it comes to this season

Leisure
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 12499 times

Post by Leisure » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:10 pm

Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:13 pm
Seems that we still do this. The fly in the ointment when it comes to this season
Explain, please.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:30 pm

Players like Zaroury pretend to be injured, as if his ankles have been snapped, and Tella likes to dive. Maybe we're just getting used to it now.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:33 pm

Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:30 pm
Players like Zaroury pretend to be injured, as if his ankles have been snapped, and Tella likes to dive. Maybe we're just getting used to it now.
How do you know he's pretending?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:35 pm

Zaroury seems to be doing it more often recently. A few times he's gone down when there's clearly nothing wrong with him.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:41 pm

Leisure wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:33 pm
How do you know he's pretending?
Maybe he plays with a snapped ankle?

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:43 pm

Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:41 pm
Maybe he plays with a snapped ankle?
Can't imagine that every Injury is a snapped ankle. :D

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:47 pm

I can't imagine every time Zaroury falls over he's really injured then

Elbarad
Been Liked: 149 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by Elbarad » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:48 pm

Leisure wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:43 pm
Can't imagine that every Injury is a snapped ankle. :D
Maybe he extraordinary powers of healing.. I can imagine that. Doubtful, but I have a strong sense of imagination. At least that's what my invisible friend says.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:51 pm

just practicing for next season in the cheat league
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:01 pm

Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:47 pm
I can't imagine every time Zaroury falls over he's really injured then
Possiby not but only he knows. Also, depends on the definition of 'really injured'. Can you only go down if your leg is broken??

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:04 pm

Can you be really injured if a player doesn't touch you and you roll on the floor like a little bitch clutching your foot? Only to get back up and run absolutely fine moments later?

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:05 pm

Tella's dive was pretty poor last night it has to be said.
This user liked this post: claptrappers_union

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:12 pm

Impact injuries really hurt on impact but the pain fades over time, probably quicker with the ‘magic spray’. A player can be in pain without being properly injured.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:28 pm

Massive bug bear.

Any player down sufficiently to stop the game should have to have a 2 minute injury time out. This would stop the blatant play acting / time wasting in an instant.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:31 pm

what_no_pies wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:28 pm
Massive bug bear.

Any player down sufficiently to stop the game should have to have a 2 minute injury time out. This would stop the blatant play acting / time wasting in an instant.
That would be an awful rule change
This user liked this post: Leisure

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:33 pm

what_no_pies wrote:
Massive bug bear.

So if a player gets fouled and injured, he has to take a 2 minute time out!

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:34 pm

what_no_pies wrote:
Massive bug bear.

What about if you deliberately fouled three of your opponents in quick succession so they were down to eight men temporarily?

I don’t think you’ve thought this through.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:40 pm

It's an imperfect solution to a bigger problem that already plagues the game and I don't mind a jot if nobody agrees.