What did the Queen mean to you?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Re: What did the Queen mean to you?

Post by ClaretDiver » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:29 pm

Inchy wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:43 am
No.

If I’m being honest she meant very little to me. I have never met her, and the notion of a Royal family seems utterly bizarre to me. Over the past few years I’ve got increasing more annoyed with the Royal family. Specifically her going to the government cap in hand to do up Buckingham Palace, despite the crown estate taking in millions, and during a time when the country is skint. Also Andrews hush money.

That said in general she’s been a force for good over her reign. She’s not perfect but she’s done a sterling job.
I assume you will go to work as usual on the 19th then??
This user liked this post: gandhisflipflop

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2037 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:55 pm

I didn’t think she meant anything to me but watching/listening/seeing the coverage since her passing and having worked my entire adult life as a crown servant, I have found myself surprisingly upset for someone I never met.

She was a national icon and a worldwide beacon of peace, hope and respect and I’m proud to be British when I see the pomp and ceremony today for the king.
This user liked this post: Rumbletonk

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5214 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:56 pm

ClaretDiver wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:29 pm
I think Inchy works as a nurse or something similar so there's a good chance he'll have to like 1000s of others.

Apart from that great post
These 2 users liked this post: fatboy47 RighteousClaret

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6493 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:58 pm

Foshiznik wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:55 pm
I didn’t think she meant anything to me but watching/listening/seeing the coverage since her passing and having worked my entire adult life as a crown servant, I have found myself surprisingly upset for someone I never met.

She was a national icon and a worldwide beacon of peace, hope and respect and I’m proud to be British when I see the pomp and ceremony today for the king.
Nobody but Nobody puts on a show like the British...we are masters at pomp & ceremony I expect the Queens funeral to be watched by a record audience...her popularity knows no bounds
This user liked this post: pureclaret

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6971 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:03 pm

ClaretDiver wrote:
Jesus doesn’t mean much to me but I’m planning on taking Christmas Day off this year, is that ok?
These 5 users liked this post: Volvoclaret fatboy47 Guller Bull RighteousClaret claretinkorea

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10261 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:14 pm

:lol:

Dawlishclaret
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Dawlishclaret » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:42 pm

Not particularly royalist but I did have the honour of being presented with an MBE by her a few years ago; a really proud moment for my family and myself.
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie NRC Rumbletonk

ClaretDiver

Post by ClaretDiver » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:44 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:56 pm
I think Inchy works as a nurse or something similar so there's a good chance he'll have to like 1000s of others.

Apart from that great post
And if it wasn’t my rostered rest day I would have been working too…my point is there are hundreds of thousands that hate the Monarchy but will revel when they get a day off for her funeral!

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:03 pm

ClaretDiver wrote:

Yes il be working. Im a nurse so bank holidays don’t apply

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5214 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:14 pm

ClaretDiver wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:44 pm
And if it wasn’t my rostered rest day I would have been working too…my point is there are hundreds of thousands that hate the Monarchy but will revel when they get a day off for her funeral!
I know what your point was, it just wasn't a very good one.
These 4 users liked this post: Spijed evensteadiereddie fatboy47 RighteousClaret

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:24 pm

I have never met the Queen in any kind of personal capacity but my wife and I were guests at one of her garden parties. It was a wonderful occasion and she, and other members of her family, mingled with us.

I think it was said of her something along the lines of 'She does not make policy, does not dispense justice, and does not make laws but rules the country.' I perhaps have not quoted in full but make the point that we have a Monarch to who the armed forces make allegiance to and therefore cannot be used by any person for their own ends.

For those who would do away with them on the grounds of dragging us into the modern world what do we replace them with? We can never agree on who should be PM, at least with a Monarch we have the decision made for us!

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:31 pm

If we got rid of the Royals what would our identity be? Genuine question I’m not suggesting we should get rid of the royals.

The French did it and Paris is still one of the most visited cities in the world. As a country I assume it get more tourists than us (admittedly the climate in the south helps). There is a strong French identity based on food, fashion, art etc.

The Republic of Ireland don’t have a queen and also have a strong identity.

If we got rid of the Royal family I expect we would still have a British identity based on our amazing national parks, the industrial revolution, our history, the palaces and castles, the artwork, the music etc etc.

Undoubtedly the Royals add to our identity, but I’ve met just as many Americans who think we are mugs for doffing out caps while the royals inherit luxury

ClaretDiver

Post by ClaretDiver » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:44 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:14 pm
Fair call!

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:47 pm

Pearcey wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:32 am
She was my boss and I met her a few times. I was in charge of the Visiting Aircraft Section at RAF Marham and she used to fly in regularly on her way to Sandringham. I remember her crew handing us 2 leftover cheeseboards from her flight, it was delightful! I’m glad I served my 26 years under her reign.
As we are apt to do in the USA, and something I think they have got right, I thank you for your service, Pearcey
This user liked this post: Pearcey

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:49 pm

The 'Royals'.. Elizabeth, Charles, and the rest of them.. they mean nothing to any of us 99% of the time. It's a big deal this week because one of them died. In couple of weeks nobody will be giving it a second thought again until the next coronation, wedding or death.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:51 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:49 pm
The 'Royals'.. Elizabeth, Charles, and the rest of them.. they mean nothing to any of us 99% of the time. It's a big deal this week because one of them died. In couple of weeks nobody will be giving it a second thought again until the next coronation, wedding or death.
Don’t speak for me, thanks.
These 3 users liked this post: pureclaret Tw@ Healeywoodclaret

NRC

Post by NRC » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:52 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:46 am
She was Queen of the world.

The relevance of England as a country has gotten a lot smaller now.
Agree wholeheartedly with this.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2265 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:01 pm

Inchy wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:31 pm
If we got rid of the Royals what would our identity be? Genuine question I’m not suggesting we should get rid of the royals.

The French did it and Paris is still one of the most visited cities in the world. As a country I assume it get more tourists than us (admittedly the climate in the south helps). There is a strong French identity based on food, fashion, art etc.

The Republic of Ireland don’t have a queen and also have a strong identity.

If we got rid of the Royal family I expect we would still have a British identity based on our amazing national parks, the industrial revolution, our history, the palaces and castles, the artwork, the music etc etc.

Undoubtedly the Royals add to our identity, but I’ve met just as many Americans who think we are mugs for doffing out caps while the royals inherit luxury
I’ve been thinking about this…

May sound controversial and that’s kind of the point of this post but I’d sooner have north England secede and form some sort of nation with the Scots and the Welsh and the Irish

We have more in common both culturally and as a people than the toffs down south.

Viva la revolution

NRC

Post by NRC » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:04 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:08 am
In 1988 I joined the armed forces, took the Queens shilling and swore allegiance to HM the Queen, her heirs and successors and I meant it. I mean it still. Proud to have done so and remain proud of my full career service. I’m proud of the Queens service to the nation too. She made us a promise and she kept it. She hasn’t lived her own life, she’s lived a life of duty and service - sure it may well have been made easier for her because of her life being subsidised, but I’d argue we’ve had VFM from her. If anyone can’t/won’t see that, it would be a waste of mine and everybody else’s time trying to explain it here.
Because something is old it doesn’t mean it can no longer be relevant so many good doors still open when they get involved… they can and do make good things happen.

I think even the most fervent republicans can see now exactly how universally loved and respected the British monarchy is with the messages of condolence flooding in.

To me, she meant pride, honour and dignity.

YMMV, and that’s fair enough.
And I thank you too for your service, bobinho.
These 2 users liked this post: pureclaret bobinho

NRC

Post by NRC » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:19 pm

For perspective, sometimes it’s beneficial to see things from afar rather than be in the middle of it. On the wall in my office I have a framed medal awarded to my grandfather by the Queen. It is a level of recognition of a cherished family member for what he did, which will always be important to me.

That said, I wince at the notion of the subservience to a monarch and the family of a monarch, But as has already been said on here, the presence of a monarchy does a far better job of keeping a nation together than a president does. You only need to look at the United States for the proof of that. As also has already been said, she had kept Great Britain relevant in the world and the amount of respect shown to her by heads of state all over the globe is indicative of that. In my humble opinion, there is now a risk that the Royal family becomes irrelevant and somewhat farcical. I genuinely hope that Charles and William after him can hold it together for the greater good of the nation. I have not lived in the UK for 30 years but I feel a sense of great loss currently.

I live my life philosophically distance from the UK, but in the last couple of days it has become apparent to me just how much I am still attached, and that is entirely down to the Queen.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3169 times
Has Liked: 6775 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:38 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:01 pm
I’ve been thinking about this…

We have more in common both culturally and as a people than the toffs down south.

Viva la revolution
Well, I'm a Southern softie but I'm certainly not a toff :D

Jeeves, untie my bootlaces and pour me a brandy :D :D

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:49 pm

Sweet FA.

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 798 times
Has Liked: 1019 times

Post by Guller Bull » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:22 pm

I am neither a fan of the Monarchy nor am I an opponent. I do have a hatred of organised politics as in my opinion it creates disharmony division and inequality.

One thing that has struck me in the last few days though has been the testimony of various previous PM's that have served office under her majesty. Blair, Johnston and May have all been fairly concurrent about the role the Queen has played in terms of the weekly Prime Ministers Royal appointment.
Imagine if you have had the shittest week as PM where every move and decision you make has been scrutinised to the nth degree. That ability to sit with a balanced experienced elder who has seen it all and lived through it all and was able to create total confidentiality. That in itself is worth it's weight in gold in terms of a role that help stop our mad politics entering the realms of lunatic politics that you do see elsewhere.

She appeared a really good person and if you are going to have a head of state then that is a real bonus.

Tw@
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 719 times

Post by Tw@ » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:45 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:03 am
To me she allowed us to celebrate everything British and feel a sense of national pride in an era where this is becoming more and more frowned upon and politicised.
Absolutely spot on!

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:52 pm

Strange one to call really , now as an Irishman not a lot really but on a personal level i think she did well moving with the times and coming to Ireland ( south ) was a massive moment for us and Britain .
Sad to see her go but she had a good run .

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:55 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:08 am
Very important to me. Without the monarchy and the tradition, pomp and ceremony that comes with it, we drift off into obscurity. We have an global identity that has been forged for over a thousand years by us being reigned over by a monarchy. I believe it is something to be proud of.

Been lucky enough to have travelled all over the world and the one subject that was always part of the discussions with the locals was how lucky we are to have the British monarchy. The Americans in particular love the idea of it. “Oh my god, I love Britain and the royal family! It’s great that you have such a history and tradition like that!” Of course that’s when I pointed out they had their own history and tradition but they threw it away when they banished it to the res. I digress….

In 1988 I joined the armed forces, took the Queens shilling and swore allegiance to HM the Queen, her heirs and successors and I meant it. I mean it still. Proud to have done so and remain proud of my full career service. I’m proud of the Queens service to the nation too. She made us a promise and she kept it. She hasn’t lived her own life, she’s lived a life of duty and service - sure it may well have been made easier for her because of her life being subsidised, but I’d argue we’ve had VFM from her. If anyone can’t/won’t see that, it would be a waste of mine and everybody else’s time trying to explain it here.
Because something is old it doesn’t mean it can no longer be relevant so many good doors still open when they get involved… they can and do make good things happen.

I think even the most fervent republicans can see now exactly how universally loved and respected the British monarchy is with the messages of condolence flooding in.

To me, she meant pride, honour and dignity.

YMMV, and that’s fair enough.
Similar to how I feel, Bobinho.

I took my attestation in 2007, to serve the Queen in the office of Constable.

In every station or patrol base I have worked in over the years, there has always been a picture of the Queen adorning the building in some capacity.

I know it may sound silly, but when I have had a cr*p day at work, something as simple as walking past a picture of the Queen makes me realise I am fulfilling a role and responsibility far, far bigger than I am. It gives me strength and purpose.

I also fully appreciate that there are those that don’t have or feel any sort of connection with the Royal Family, and question their purpose. Each to their own.
These 6 users liked this post: pureclaret Fenwick Tw@ Burnley1989 bobinho claretgimmer

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:48 pm

I’m no means a monarchist……….it has surprised me, but I have felt such emotion that she is no longer here. It has also galvanised my belief that the institution separates and raises our tiny island above the rest of the world.
These 5 users liked this post: Tw@ Burnley1989 Quickenthetempo pureclaret Healeywoodclaret

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:34 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:54 pm
Did you ever meet the Queen?
No, but I've met the now King, if that counts? I saved him from a facial injury, for which he was extremely grateful.

I also met the Queen's husband, but sadly never the late Queen.

However, I did swear on oath to serve her and her heirs and successors.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 524 times

Post by beddie » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:53 pm

A wonderful lady that worked tirelessly for the people of this country and other nations. I’ll always remember her as a very special person. May she rest in peace.
These 3 users liked this post: Burnley1989 Jakubclaret Healeywoodclaret

NoFixedAbode_Claret
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by NoFixedAbode_Claret » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:42 pm

Control.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2329 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:51 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:55 pm
Similar to how I feel, Bobinho.

I took my attestation in 2007, to serve the Queen in the office of Constable.

In every station or patrol base I have worked in over the years, there has always been a picture of the Queen adorning the building in some capacity.

I know it may sound silly, but when I have had a cr*p day at work, something as simple as walking past a picture of the Queen makes me realise I am fulfilling a role and responsibility far, far bigger than I am. It gives me strength and purpose.

I also fully appreciate that there are those that don’t have or feel any sort of connection with the Royal Family, and question their purpose. Each to their own.
Not silly at all mate, I have a poem on my wall by Dale Wimbrow that I read most days and it really gives me a kick up the arse, I think we all have those things.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1189 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:03 pm

Simply everything my mourning will start on the funeral date & run for 96 days henceforth.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:10 pm

:?:
Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:03 pm
Simply everything my mourning will start on the funeral date & run for 96 days henceforth.
We can only hope your mourning includes not posting on here. I believe it's what she would have wanted.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:16 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:10 pm
:?:

We can only hope your mourning includes not posting on here. I believe it's what she would have wanted.
I can let the likes of you decide on what she would have wanted or not wanted warped mindsets forthcoming, I will personally & respectfully mourn in my own way which is befitting to the circumstances, good evening.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:18 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Anyone willing to beat 96? Or have we found our top mourner.
This user liked this post: winsomeyen

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6971 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:34 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:18 pm
Anyone willing to beat 96? Or have we found our top mourner.
Must be hard to suspend the mourning for more than a week though.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1511 times
Has Liked: 582 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:08 pm

One wonders what will happen on Day 97 - party time!?!

Genuinely still can’t work out if jakubclaret is one of the most carefully preplanned troll accounts in the history of the internet or if he actually exists.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8540 times
Has Liked: 18290 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:10 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Lets hope your mourning is 96 days of silence then Jakub 😏

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:23 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:10 pm
Lets hope your mourning is 96 days of silence then Jakub 😏
It’ll be respectful & considerate in whatever way I choose I’ll leave you to your lot to carry on sniping away & bickering & mods getting involved & I’ll observe respectfully from a distance, toys getting removed from the pram & playpen might be appropriate to your form of entertainment but not mine.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:37 pm

I am really sad about The Queen. Her coronation was 2 weeks before I was born. All my life and virtually all her reign.

Of all the people under the spotlight, she is the only one to be without a blemish on her reputation and so many positive things. All the rest fall short.

Head of state. Better someone without power, than someone riding in, capturing the mood of the moment and getting elected President! No corruption with The Queen.

However, I do not like the rest of the structure that takes off from the Royals. The country is full of Dukes and Earls who inherited their title and lands, thanks to some Norman Knight in 1066.

I liked the accession stuff today, when KC3 had to give up all the revenues from Crown Estates, in return for an allowance. I think all the aristocracy should have to do the same!.

As for are they useful. Well the Queen has worked wonders all over the world. She was The Queen, to literally the rest of the world. I saw pics of folk in Moscow crying and laying flowers, when the news was heard. That is general. Incredible.

Tge Prince now King has his PTrust. That has done much for Burnley and its young people and continues to give opportunities to so many, who would not otherwise get a chance.

They head up the military. Better that folk swear allegiance to a monarch and country than Wooden Truss.

They champion charities and whenever a Royal is involved, the interest increases.

Yes they are worth it. Yes they have issues. Just get rid of everything below and make us more equal.
These 2 users liked this post: lakedistrictclaret claretgimmer

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2702 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:54 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:

Will it be full-on mourning...you know, like howling endlessly into a wheelbarrow full of kleenex, or something a bit lower key like only having 2 sausages with brekky?

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:27 am

And still not attending BFC matches...? ;)

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:55 am

The Queen's final journey begins in a few moments time.
I think when the cortege is on the move through the Scottish streets is when the reality or enormity of her death will hit home.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:02 am

She didn't mean a great deal to me, but I usually carry around at least one picture of her in my pocket.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:08 am

Steddyman wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:36 am
I've never met her, but my wife has twice. Perhaps all the people who don't value the Royal Family, should look at at the worldwide constant news coverage and ask themselves why it is getting that coverage?

The answer is the queens constant work for the past 70 years visiting far flung places. The Royal Family in modern Britain is all about tourism. Other countries buy into the fairytale and romance that a monarch represents. It is a big part of why the americas love the UK so much as a holiday destination. Charles will be a good king, but the world has lost a lady with an amazing spirit for life.

Also, can you think of anyone else dying in this world that would have got heartfelt messages from both Trump and Putin in these times?
The Pope.

And he represents another theme in this world - religion - that has nice buildings and history but should no longer play a part in our lives, certainly not our political lives.

Hipper

Post by Hipper » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:09 am

Steve1956 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:03 pm
She was the Head of state,a fine dedicated woman,she will be missed by millions of people who have grown old with her, one thing about the Royals they get things done,the transition from Queen to King was seamless, against the Shambles of finding a new Prime Minister taking over a month and leaving the country rudderless during that time,when do we get our say on that one ...12 months?
These Prime Ministers you don't like were working with the Queen as Head of State. She couldn't do anything about it.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:16 am

Hipper wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:08 am
The Pope.

And he represents another theme in this world - religion - that has nice buildings and history but should no longer play a part in our lives, certainly not our political lives.
While you’re correct about the Pope and Religion ( though tbf on the whole it’s not a militant religion in the modern age )

As for the Queen , she was simply a figurehead and token “ leader “ not unlike a Chairman can be . Her reign did not ever incite war or aggression and she had no say whatsoever in politics. Personally thought she did a remarkable job and I was proud to serve , though fully appreciate Republican views .

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:22 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:40 am
She opened the offices where I worked in Manchester. It was a special day for all those involved for sure and she was in great form as was the D of E that day.

The 2012 Olympics was one of the best things to happen in this country for decades and she played a big part in the events and I think her support really mattered.

Other than that she has not meant much to me personally but I can certainly recognise what she did for so many people and for this country.

It’s difficult to relate to her position of privilege of course and the institution of the monarchy does not sit with me particularly well - but then again as we have seen in this country with many of the democratically elected leaders and governments that is far from perfect too !! And then you look at someone like Donald Trump over the pond and you think how much better that country would have been with someone like The Queen above him.

King Charles has probably had more relevance to my life and my community. He’s done loads for Burnley. Much of it never hitting the media.
Duke or Edinburgh also has left a massive legacy in the Duke of Edinburgh awards which has been and still is a fantastic initiative. My own daughter completed all of the awards up to getting her gold and being presented this by Prince Edward. Tens of Thousands of teenagers have done the same thing and it’s a brilliant experience for them.

So as I get older I can put aside any of the views I have as a socialist republican (!!) and appreciate that The Queen and The Royal Family have done a lot of positive things for the country during my lifetime.
What a great response. I nearly didn't read this thread, through fear of getting angry, but I'm glad I did now. HRH was a constant reminder to me what it should and, imo, does mean to be British. I'll be on the train to the funeral to pay my respect
This user liked this post: Big Vinny K

Hipper

Post by Hipper » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:23 am

Guller Bull wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:22 pm
I am neither a fan of the Monarchy nor am I an opponent. I do have a hatred of organised politics as in my opinion it creates disharmony division and inequality.

One thing that has struck me in the last few days though has been the testimony of various previous PM's that have served office under her majesty. Blair, Johnston and May have all been fairly concurrent about the role the Queen has played in terms of the weekly Prime Ministers Royal appointment.
Imagine if you have had the shittest week as PM where every move and decision you make has been scrutinised to the nth degree. That ability to sit with a balanced experienced elder who has seen it all and lived through it all and was able to create total confidentiality. That in itself is worth it's weight in gold in terms of a role that help stop our mad politics entering the realms of lunatic politics that you do see elsewhere.

She appeared a really good person and if you are going to have a head of state then that is a real bonus.
I don't think you are going to hear any politician say anything bad about the Queen, certainly not at the moment.

However, when Diana died there was a lot of criticism, from the media at least, of the Queen's reaction.

I doubt she was perfect but I do appreciate that in her capacity she served the country well.

'An experienced elder' can be drawn from all sorts of places without the need for a royal family.

For all those that served in the armed forces and gave their allegiance, I suggest that if they went into battle they fought, not for Queen and country, but for their mates. They are the ones they didn't want to let down.

I have a friend who was in the army and he described all the bull they had to go through for an inspection by Princess Margaret. During the visit he was made to feel just like a piece of dirt.

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:29 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:14 pm
More than a little rich from the person that posts some of the most ill thought out drivel on this forum
This user liked this post: jen1066