Eric Pieters Article about his departure

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Eric Pieters Article about his departure

Post by IanMcL » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:24 pm

It seems our owners have a lot to learn about how Burnley treats its heroes.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/f ... e-24986942

Immense for us and such a clever player. Best wishes. Always a Claret.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 899 times

Re: Eric Pieters Article about his departure

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:31 pm

I’m certainly not Alan Pace’s biggest fan, but that article reads that he was made a contract offer which he refused, expecting the club to come back with a second offer.

It’s not the club’s problem that they didn’t.
These 4 users liked this post: tarkys_ears bfcjg Quicknick evensteadiereddie

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:34 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:31 pm
I’m certainly not Alan Pace’s biggest fan, but that article reads that he was made a contract offer which he refused, expecting the club to come back with a second offer.

It’s not the club’s problem that they didn’t.
I think you need to read the rest of the contract point, to grasp how football works. Poor and then not allowed to train. Awful.

It suggests that Pace had already decided there was going to be a major change.

Flying Without Ings
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Flying Without Ings » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:35 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:24 pm

Each to their own but I wouldn’t class him as a hero. Did a job for us, however.

nyclaret
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:35 pm

Pretty low bar if Erik Pieters is considered a hero.
These 5 users liked this post: RVclaret MeeActon1 Vino blanco bfcjg ŽižkovClaret

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:37 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Hang on let me try:
Pieters had an offer and chose to not sign he shouldn't expect another
Pieters is 34 he should feel lucky to get a new offer at all
The club got relegated and he's 34 of course he's getting a paycut he should expect one
Pieters shouldn't expect to be told he's released it's common sense if he hasn't had a new offer
Pieters shouldn't expect to be allowed to train if he's not a player at the club he's not welcome he can take ALKs offer and be grateful or he can leave their facilities alone
Pieters implying that he could have downed tools over his contract or injury if he wanted implies he's a bad egg and Burnley are much better without him. Furthermore if he thinks it was a good group given he's a bad egg we're even better shut of the rest.
Pieters is wrong to say sacking Dyche was weird after a new contract offer when he also acknowledges changes and the new manager bump, he's just saying it because he's a bitter Dycheite

There did I do it right ALK?

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 899 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:39 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:34 pm
I think you need to read the rest of the contract point, to grasp how football works. Poor and then not allowed to train. Awful.

It suggests that Pace had already decided there was going to be a major change.

I did read the article.

It’s about time some power was wrestled back from the players and perhaps he is expecting too much seeing as he is still out of contract. Also, why would a new manager want a player training with us who he doesn’t even know and who is out of contract? That doesn’t benefit us in the slightest.

I actually like our new strategy. Accept the offer or we’ll move on pretty swiftly.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:41 pm

Offered a contract, refused it

Wanted to train whilst not in contract with the club.... All kinds of insurance issues with that should he have got injured, or indeed if he had caused injury to one of our players..... But let's slag the club off again
These 6 users liked this post: NewClaret MeeActon1 bfcjg Juan Tanamera tiger76 evensteadiereddie

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:41 pm

Hero 😂

I liked Erik and not sure why the club didn’t bother with a quick call/thanks as that’s pretty much all that was required in this situation.

Not sure why he thought he had a right to train though during the summer? Is he referring to the point leading up to the contract expiring (usually July 1st)? If not then that seems a bit bizarre as we had a new manager / new training / new signings bedding in post that.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:44 pm

I’ve read it all now?

Club offers player a contract.
Player rejects the contract.
Season ends.
Player moans that he didn’t know whether he’d be returning despite having been offered a contract. (Eh, maybe accept the contract offer then pal - if you want certainty)
Player has nowhere else to train so asks to go back and use the clubs facilities.
Club ask if he’s going to re-sign.
Player says no.
Club says no.

Erik was one of my favourite players & I’ve said elsewhere I’d have liked him to stay but this reflects worse on him than the club in my view.

Players can’t have it all ways; if you’re offered a contract and don’t want to sign it - fine, move on, don’t whinge about it, pretend you were kept in the dark & then ask to go back and use the facilities for free.

Footballers are so entitled. It’s like me refusing a contract extension and asking to keep hold of my laptop until I find another job, then moaning that I expected them to come back and offer me more money. Wtf? :lol: :lol:
Last edited by NewClaret on Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: RVclaret Boss Hogg

Flying Without Ings

Post by Flying Without Ings » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:44 pm

Bardsley, Stephens and now Pieters have all come across a little disingenuous in their comments. They were all squad players who were over the age of 30 and the team was clearly heading in a different direction post-dyche, yet some of their comments make it sound like they expected a new bumper contract and/or to roll out the red carpet. Was never going to happen.
Last edited by Flying Without Ings on Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:45 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:41 pm
Hero 😂

I liked Erik and not sure why the club didn’t bother with a quick call/thanks as that’s pretty much all that was required in this situation.

Not sure why he thought he had a right to train though during the summer? Is he referring to the point leading up to the contract expiring (usually July 1st)? If not then that seems a bit bizarre as we had a new manager / new training / new signings bedding in post that.
Plus he might’ve ended up at a competitor who would then know our system, tactics, etc.

Absolutely hilarious.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:49 pm

Flying Without Ings wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:44 pm
Bardsley, Stephens and now Pieters have all come across a little disingenuous in their comments. They were all squad players who were over the age of 30 and the team was clearly heading in a different direction post-dyche, yet some of their comments make it sound like they expected a new bumper contract and/or to roll out the red carpet. Was never going to happen.
Beardsley’s was the best… pretending he didn’t know he was leaving despite his missus posting a “last game” post on Instagram :lol: :lol:

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:51 pm

Always find it a bit weird that some people seem to hate footballers and be happy that something bad has happened to them.

The club has clearly been unusually callous in how it has dealt with players leaving at the end of their contract, or else players with lots of experience of leaving football clubs wouldn't be making the accusation against them. It isn't the worst thing in the world, given moving those players on is pretty much universally seen as the right decision, but it doesn't do us any good if the reputation of the club for looking after its players is impugned.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:52 pm

I don’t think it matters if they were expected bumper contracts or not… it’s just disappointing to read that they are not kept in the loop with their future.

I’m no insider and I don’t know how it works, what the process and unwritten rules there are when it comes to players departing clubs but it seems the new owners lack something when it comes to part of the profession.

Maybe this is how they want to do it.

https://youtu.be/s9YJhz1wJwY
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mattster
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by Mattster » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:52 pm

Most disappointing thing from that article is that we offered him a new deal at all.

Doesn't have any place in this team. Would have been a totally wasted wage.
These 2 users liked this post: RVclaret Vino blanco

MeeActon1
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by MeeActon1 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:58 pm

Shouldn’t his agent be asking the question of the club, isn’t that what he pays him for?

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:58 pm

IanMcL wrote:

34 year old, bit part player gets offered new contract, refuses it then complains that he's no longer employed.
I'd be having a word with my agent if I was him
This user liked this post: MeeActon1

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:00 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:52 pm
I don’t think it matters if they were expected bumper contracts or not… it’s just disappointing to read that they are not kept in the loop with their future.

I’m no insider and I don’t know how it works, what the process and unwritten rules there are when it comes to players departing clubs but it seems the new owners lack something when it comes to part of the profession.

Maybe this is how they want to do it.

https://youtu.be/s9YJhz1wJwY
He was offered a contract, turned it down and then his old contract expired.

Surely he wasn't expecting to be on the retained list? 😂

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:04 pm

Something I'd love to know:
The overlap between those demanding a (subjectively) attractive playing style because of how a less attractive style looks or is perceived by others, and those excusing/defending an absence of basic decency and courtesy/respect towards a good serving player who, while hero is probably hyperbolic, was a very frequent part of the best years we've had since the late 60s/early 70s.

Just would love to know. Do people prioritize actions or appearance.

Flying Without Ings

Post by Flying Without Ings » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:05 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:49 pm
Beardsley’s was the best… pretending he didn’t know he was leaving despite his missus posting a “last game” post on Instagram :lol: :lol:
Or Stephens expecting a “thank you” after leaving. Getting paid big sums to do zilch and add nothing to the team; he should be thanking Burnley.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:07 pm

Damo wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:00 pm
He was offered a contract, turned it down and then his old contract expired.

Surely he wasn't expecting to be on the retained list? 😂
But usually he’ll expect know if he’ll on the retained list and not learning it at the same time as the public do.

I think it’s poor form, even if you leave a business in a normal job, usually you get at least a thankyou from somebody. It seems at Burnley, when you’re done, you’re done.

This is how ALK will treat Jay Rodriguez by the way - offer him a crap contract which he won’t sign and then they’ll just ghost him.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:10 pm

Jay Rodriguez signed a new contract in May. I don't know whether it was a crap one or not.

Flying Without Ings

Post by Flying Without Ings » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:12 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:10 pm
Jay Rodriguez signed a new contract in May. I don't know whether it was a crap one or not.
Thank god he did!

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:13 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:10 pm
I’m talking about when his current one expires.

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:15 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:04 pm
The overlap between those demanding a (subjectively) attractive playing style because of how a less attractive style looks or is perceived by others, and those excusing/defending an absence of basic decency and courtesy/respect towards a good serving player who, while hero is probably hyperbolic, was a very frequent part of the best years we've had since the late 60s/early 70s.

Putting aside the initial points around playing style because I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.

What basic decency amd courtesy/respect was Pieters not shown by being offered a new contract which he turned down out of hand, not because it was a bad offer (he makes no such claim) but because either he believed or his agent convinced him that's just what you do and the club will always come back with a better offer.

He rejected the offer of a new deal (lucky us) and that's that. He clearly thought he was in a stronger position than he was which is either down to him or his agent, not the club/Alan Pace.
This user liked this post: Damo

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:19 pm

Not too worried about Bardsley or Stephens-neither could have thought they were going to get an extended contract at heir ages and with about 5 appearances between them in their last season.Both had already been with us too long. What I find odd about Eric is he was not allowed to come back and train. It was not that long ago David Jones was allowed to do it

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:20 pm

Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:07 pm
But usually he’ll expect know if he’ll on the retained list and not learning it at the same time as the public do.

I think it’s poor form, even if you leave a business in a normal job, usually you get at least a thankyou from somebody. It seems at Burnley, when you’re done, you’re done.

This is how ALK will treat Jay Rodriguez by the way - offer him a crap contract which he won’t sign and then they’ll just ghost him.
How could he hold any belief he'd be on the retained list if he's turned down the offer of a contract?
This user liked this post: Damo

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:24 pm

You’re missing my point. He knew the outcome but you would think the club would’ve be discussing his options with him after he turn down the contract, even if the final decision was that he was being let go.

Finding out that you’ve been let go on the internet is poor form by anyones standards

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:29 pm

Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:24 pm
You’re missing my point. He knew the outcome but you would think the club would’ve be discussing his options with him after he turn down the contract, even if the final decision was that he was being let go.

Finding out that you’ve been let go on the internet is poor form by anyones standards
Bardsley claimed he didn't know either, yet his wife had already announced it.
Pieters has an agent, maybe he needs to ask his agent for updates on his career path more often.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:32 pm

There's a professional way to handle things - this aint it

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1033 times
Has Liked: 1522 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:34 pm

..the fact he has gone bitching about it to the papers kinda says it all

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:34 pm

Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:24 pm

Disagree on this point. He knew he wasn’t being retained because he didn’t sign a contract he was offered.

Didn’t need a phone call to tell him. It was his choice not to be on the retained list.

Very pleased with the direction the club is taking with these negotiations and new approach/style generally.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:35 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:29 pm
Bardsley claimed he didn't know either, yet his wife had already announced it.
Pieters has an agent, maybe he needs to ask his agent for updates on his career path more often.
These agents get paid a lot of money to not do very much it seems.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:35 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:04 pm

I have read your post a couple of times and I have no idea what you are talking about and what exactly you would love to know. My take on issue is that he was offered a new contract whilst Dyche was still in charge (if I read the article right): this doesn't surprise me at all. He and his agent didn't accept it. We now have a new manager with a totally different idea of how we train and play, why would he want Pieters hanging around contributing sweet f.a.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6916 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:47 pm

Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?
He got an ice pick
That made his ears burn

Whatever happened to dear old Lenny?
The great Elmyra, and Sancho Panza?
Whatever happened to the heroes?

Whatever happened to all the heroes?
All the Shakespearoes?
They watched their Rome burn

No more heroes any more
No more heroes any more

Oh and Pieters didn't get a deal.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:53 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:51 pm
Always find it a bit weird that some people seem to hate footballers and be happy that something bad has happened to them.

The club has clearly been unusually callous in how it has dealt with players leaving at the end of their contract, or else players with lots of experience of leaving football clubs wouldn't be making the accusation against them. It isn't the worst thing in the world, given moving those players on is pretty much universally seen as the right decision, but it doesn't do us any good if the reputation of the club for looking after its players is impugned.
Thought it was just me!😊

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:19 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:51 pm

Well none of the 3 players that have had a whinge about the club not chasing them up to explain the obvious has ever been released after their contract expired before.

Only Bardsley has ever left on a free transfer, he'd signed a precontract with Stoke a couple of months before his Sunderland one ran out.

They've no prior experience to compare it to.

SirBob
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by SirBob » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:37 pm

There was a lot of talk about Vydra signing his new contract offer but i do kind of get the impression he had a similar experience. Rejected it initially and expected to be offered better terms that never materialised. I was mentioned there was a contract on the table still for him but seems the club weren’t willing to budge and improve terms.

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:46 pm

Maybe we should have gone in with a really low offer first then increased it to what we did offer in the second time if they all expect the club to go back with a second offer. Seems a waste of time to me.
This user liked this post: Claretswift

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 733 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:00 pm

MeeActon1 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:58 pm
Shouldn’t his agent be asking the question of the club, isn’t that what he pays him for?
I think this nails it.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:34 pm

SirBob wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:37 pm
There was a lot of talk about Vydra signing his new contract offer but i do kind of get the impression he had a similar experience. Rejected it initially and expected to be offered better terms that never materialised. I was mentioned there was a contract on the table still for him but seems the club weren’t willing to budge and improve terms.
Which is fine, I think. I sense from Eric’s statement the club were willing for him to train if he signed up; in other words we left the contract on the table for them. Same with Vydra I think.

This all comes across to me as players mard-arsing, because they/their agents are mad that we did t go running after them offering them better terms.

They knew they could sign of they wanted to, they chose not to as is their right. Just move on then.

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1078 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:41 pm

Hero 😆 🤣 😂

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:44 pm

I know a lot of people dislike Pace and the new ownership but to use this as a stick to try to beat them with is laughable.
These 2 users liked this post: tiger76 NewClaret

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:51 pm

Life lesson for Eric don't take anything for granted
This user liked this post: NewClaret

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:54 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:51 pm
Life lesson for Eric don't take anything for granted
And other players in future.

I do wonder how much he’d have earned in July, August & part of September & whether he’ll make those lost earnings up even if he does get a contract elsewhere now!

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 170 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:55 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:32 pm
There's a professional way to handle things - this aint it
Yes it is: contract offer refused, club not obligated to make other offer, end of road

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1509 times
Has Liked: 582 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:59 pm

He played a gamble with the contract and it didn’t pay off. As has been highlighted, maybe he should be ringing his agent and asking why he wasn’t doing the job he pays him to do. Could the club be ‘nicer’ to players leaving? That’s open to debate - there’s a professionalism aspect to think of but then are the players being professional by leaving us hanging with the contract and wanting more money?

Sozturf7
Been Liked: 89 times

Post by Sozturf7 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:04 pm

Players have freedom of contract these days. I thought Eric was a good professional, didn't do much wrong while he was here, but don't like his thoughts on his leaving, move on Eric.

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:29 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:19 pm
What I find odd about Eric is he was not allowed to come back and train. It was not that long ago David Jones was allowed to do it
David Jones had left, with the club's blessing, for a fee and then later returned to train under the same manager he'd been signed by/played under.

He hadn't rejected a contract and then immediately requested to train with the first team under a manager that had no prior relationship with him at the expense of an academy player who would likely be at the club for years and get the chance to impress.

Would much rather the club took youth players to train with the first team and on the training camp to Portugal than a player who wasn't going to have any part to play in the future of the club.
This user liked this post: BurnleyFC