Wood burner installation

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Wood burner installation

Post by Inchy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:56 am

Wondering if anyone has experience of this and could offer some advice.

In my living room i have a chimney breast but it's been bricked (or boarded) over and plastered. Was like this when i moved in. To have the log burner installed this would obviously need to be knocked out which i assume will be a messy job.

I've had a look at the price of average installation but I've no idea how much it will cost with the additional work of knocking out the old bricked/boarded up fireplace.

Anyone had this done and has an idea of what the price is likely to be?

cheers

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Re: Wood burner installation

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:07 am

We had exactly that done when we moved into our current place nearly 3 years ago.

Was £1680 for the the work, including the hearth, and about £800 for the log burner - a top quality british one, don’t buy the Chinese crap.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:16 am

I neighbour of mine burnt wood for a couple of years thinking it would be cheaper and nicer. I think the main reason was he was hoping to get cheap wood or collect it himself. He found both of inconsistent quality and also did not like the regular cleaning regime - clearing the ash etc.. He got fed up with it and started to use coal. I don't think he's using that now.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/wood-bu ... PXC8g7lbu5

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:19 am

Ours is multi fuel but weve only ever burnt kiln dried logs on it and they burn superbly.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:12 am

You can install a Wood burner in the corner of your house if you wish.
That seems the preferred method now with friends that have them.
Easier for the flue to go up and outside.

Search pictures of installations on the Web.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:18 am

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:07 am
We had exactly that done when we moved into our current place nearly 3 years ago.

Was £1680 for the the work, including the hearth, and about £800 for the log burner - a top quality british one, don’t buy the Chinese crap.
I could have written this same reply almost word for word (apart from our job was 12 months ago).

Phoenix Fires in Rawtenstall did ours. They were very good and kept the the house (relatively) clean whilst doing the work.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:14 am

We did something similar, in having the old bricked up fireplace opened. Looks loads better, as it originally was. But the guy who did it (prices around same as above) told us that half his work is going back round replacing log burners with gas stoves.

Obviously the energy crisis might have changed this, but it was the mess and ongoing maintenance of burning wood that people discovered they didn't want in the end. So we've ended up with a gas stove in a nice looking open chimney breast - but it's loads more efficient than the old fire anyway.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:32 am

NottsClaret wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:14 am
We did something similar, in having the old bricked up fireplace opened. Looks loads better, as it originally was. But the guy who did it (prices around same as above) told us that half his work is going back round replacing log burners with gas stoves.

Obviously the energy crisis might have changed this, but it was the mess and ongoing maintenance of burning wood that people discovered they didn't want in the end. So we've ended up with a gas stove in a nice looking open chimney breast - but it's loads more efficient than the old fire anyway.
It is burning the wood that makes it for me!

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:42 am

Thanks for the responses.

Would people recommend a multifuel burner rather than a specific wood or coal one?

MancunianClaret
Been Liked: 175 times
Has Liked: 322 times

Post by MancunianClaret » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:54 am

After spending many hours researching I actually went for a flue-less gas stove over a solid fuel burner as it didn't mean I needed the chimney lining/unblocking etc. Same effect of an open fire etc, but less messing about.

https://www.directstoves.com/resources/ ... gas-stove/

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:59 am

We have a multi fuel stove. Best move we ever made. Keeps the whole house warm. Turn the vents right down when you go to bed and the house will still be warm when you get up in the morning. We get all of our logs and coal from Milligan’s. There is also a good place for logs just as you get into Read.
Make sure you get your chimney swept every year. Dr Flue is the best around here. You will also probably need to get your chimney lined before installation.

MancunianClaret
Been Liked: 175 times
Has Liked: 322 times

Post by MancunianClaret » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:05 am

MancunianClaret wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:54 am
After spending many hours researching I actually went for a flue-less gas stove over a solid fuel burner as it didn't mean I needed the chimney lining/unblocking etc. Same effect of an open fire etc, but less messing about.

https://www.directstoves.com/resources/ ... gas-stove/
And at the risk of sounding like an advert (I honestly approached with an open mind)...

Flue-less stoves are considered to be 100% efficient - versus solid fuel stoves where a percentage of the heat is lost up the chimney/flue. They're also one touch to light and don't need cleaning out (but do need an annual service like other gas appliances) so I'd argue much more convenient for a typical home.

I don't have a cheap supply of wood or other solid fuel locally. I'd probably have a different opinion if I had a cheap source of wood (e.g. farm next door)!

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:12 am

Inchy wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:42 am

Would people recommend a multi fuel burner rather than a specific wood or coal one?
We didn't buy ours because it was multi fuel, it just turned out the model we liked happened to be multi fuel.

Weve only ever burned logs, but i believe a combination of coal and wood could burn longer than soft wood alone. Once its been on a while though we stick Oak (hard wood) on which burns for ages. I might give coal a try one day but I like the smell and look of burning wood.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:48 am

Inchy wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:42 am

Would people recommend a multifuel burner rather than a specific wood or coal one?
I got a multi fuel one. Wood burns hotter but you have to throw a log on at regular intervals, smokeless coal burns much longer so if you shut off the vents when you go to bed it will still be smouldering the following morning and easy to get going again. It chucks out a hell of a lot of heat even in my lounge which is quite open and has very high ceilings. See photo
Lounge.jpg
Lounge.jpg (61.89 KiB) Viewed 2046 times

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:37 pm

You'll need your current flue testing- I had to put a liner in.

A days work knocking out including installation of the stove. Well worth it.

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:52 pm

cheers for the advice.

Il get some quotes in

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times

Post by Bfc » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:28 pm

As was said in a previous post on this topic, do a room measurement so you have an idea of the kilowatt size of fire appropriate for the room.
But If you have thoughts about being capable of saving money, by taking out your own brickwork to install a stove, theirs likely to be 30cm brick pillars to the left and right sides of the chimney breast, that's separate from the rest of the brickwork.That's assuming you have a pre war property. I'm not sure of any built after that. Expect a lot of soot amongst the rubble you need to remove and lay plenty of dust sheets on the floor and over furniture. You will need to install a concrete lintel, higher than the one in situ, which will then need removing. Look on line for further advice on suggested height levels, or at the stove makers recommendations. I laid a 10cm base plinth, to raise the stove higher, giving more heat above ground level. Allow a minimum of 15cm each side of the stove. I lined all around brickwork with a 240x120cm heat resistant board, cut to size. I still have a full sheet, if anyone is interested. Moving onto the flue liner and cleaning of the chimney flue, that's something I would recommend to anyone, that they seek advice from a professional.
Another saving for me was my ability to do my own plastering on installion completion.
I did quite a bit of research sourcing my 12 kilo watt multistove, which I bought from a firm in Dorset which made very good quality stoves. Remember any room with a stove needs to have the necessary alarms installed, to help save your life.
On mine I boil pans of potatoes/vegetables and water for washing up. In cold weather I stoke it up with fuel from CnB coal suppliers in Waterfoot, who deliver in Burnley and its cheaper than Milligans. I leave the room door open and it heats the house up. As the chimney breast runs through the bedroom I sleep in, the rising heat gives some warmth in that room. My gas DD is £10 per month. I go into the fields near home and cut up dead trees throughout summer and store it ready for winter.

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:25 pm

Bfc wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:28 pm
As was said in a previous post on this topic, do a room measurement so you have an idea of the kilowatt size of fire appropriate for the room.
But If you have thoughts about being capable of saving money, by taking out your own brickwork to install a stove, theirs likely to be 30cm brick pillars to the left and right sides of the chimney breast, that's separate from the rest of the brickwork.That's assuming you have a pre war property. I'm not sure of any built after that. Expect a lot of soot amongst the rubble you need to remove and lay plenty of dust sheets on the floor and over furniture. You will need to install a concrete lintel, higher than the one in situ, which will then need removing. Look on line for further advice on suggested height levels, or at the stove makers recommendations. I laid a 10cm base plinth, to raise the stove higher, giving more heat above ground level. Allow a minimum of 15cm each side of the stove. I lined all around brickwork with a 240x120cm heat resistant board, cut to size. I still have a full sheet, if anyone is interested. Moving onto the flue liner and cleaning of the chimney flue, that's something I would recommend to anyone, that they seek advice from a professional.
Another saving for me was my ability to do my own plastering on installion completion.
I did quite a bit of research sourcing my 12 kilo watt multistove, which I bought from a firm in Dorset which made very good quality stoves. Remember any room with a stove needs to have the necessary alarms installed, to help save your life.
On mine I boil pans of potatoes/vegetables and water for washing up. In cold weather I stoke it up with fuel from CnB coal suppliers in Waterfoot, who deliver in Burnley and its cheaper than Milligans. I leave the room door open and it heats the house up. As the chimney breast runs through the bedroom I sleep in, the rising heat gives some warmth in that room. My gas DD is £10 per month. I go into the fields near home and cut up dead trees throughout summer and store it ready for winter.

Cheers for the advice

Il be honest knocking the brickwork out is beyond me. I've just been quoted £1650 for knocking the brick work out, chimney lining, and installation.
Out of the 1650, 400 of that is for knocking out the old bricks and prepping the fireplace. Id rather pay 400 quid than make a pigs ear of it by doing it myself (which is a certainty)

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:49 pm

Having just done it myself, £1650 is a decent quote to have it done properly. None of it is hard, but worth that money for none of the stress.

I'd check building regs requirement if you have intention of selling, for example, you will need pre-lining chimney sweep (which I'd recommend anyway) if you intend to get building regs sign off..

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1437 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:49 pm

Just jumping in here- we had a multi fuel burner fitted about 8 years ago. We went for Esse as they looked great, good reviews and made in Barnoldswick.

99% of the time we use wood, pay about £140 for a load from Pendle log store which is about 2 tonne bags.

We also buy a couple of bags of coal a year, they create more ash but do keep the fire warm over night. Always put some coal in on Xmas Eve so the next morning I can throw in a bit of wood and the fire is up and running again.

Also I’d recommend an ash hoover and some stove cleaner for the glass. The ash hoover saves me trailing the ash through the house and is worth its weight in gold!

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:13 pm

Mine an Esse also.

Woollyhat
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Woollyhat » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:38 pm

Hey Inchy,

We got a multi-fuel stove a couple of years back. We have an open fire too.

I find multi fuel handy, as it gives an extra option. We’ve burned real coal (very hot - too hot probably), the smokeless stuff (good, and easy to manage) and wood.

I now take great pleasure in collecting wood over the course of the year and chopping and splitting it. That said, you need quite a bit of space for your wood store if you’re going to burn it regularly.

I love it - yes it is a bit messy, but well worth the hassle, and a nice way to hear a single room if you’re at home in the day.

I’d say 100% go for it!

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:51 am

Burnleyareback2 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:49 pm
Just jumping in here- we had a multi fuel burner fitted about 8 years ago. We went for Esse as they looked great, good reviews and made in Barnoldswick.

99% of the time we use wood, pay about £140 for a load from Pendle log store which is about 2 tonne bags.

We also buy a couple of bags of coal a year, they create more ash but do keep the fire warm over night. Always put some coal in on Xmas Eve so the next morning I can throw in a bit of wood and the fire is up and running again.

Also I’d recommend an ash hoover and some stove cleaner for the glass. The ash hoover saves me trailing the ash through the house and is worth its weight in gold!
The components are assembled in barnoldswick in terms of making look no further than china in fairness esse are far from alone in that respect.

chadders
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by chadders » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:01 am

Check building regs and manufacturers installtion. Stovefitters warehouse is very useful website. Buy the best stove and components you can afford 😊

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:06 pm

Had a couple of quotes. All in including knocking out bricked fire place out, fitting, hearth, timber mantle piece, 2500 quid for a log burner, 2900 for a multi fuel.

The first place I went really pushed the log burners over the multiple fuel even though they are cheaper. I’m not sure why

atlantalad
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by atlantalad » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:20 pm

Like others have done above I have fitted my own stoves in existing fireplaces. Pretty straight forward: widen firebox, insert higher lintel, box out with cement board, fit surround and hearth. Done this DIY job 3 times over the past 15 year in different properties, the most recent being this summer. I would say go for a multi fuel stove as it gives you an option for smokeless - which burns slower and keeps the room toastier overnight.

I would say if you use an installer they need to be HETAS approved and able to issue a certificate for the finished installation. Alternatively, if DIY, you can follow building regs ( on web) and inform local council inspector who will visit property prior to work to discuss the methods/materials etc. They then visit after installation to verify correct installation and materials. If you don't get cert or council approvals this may cause issues when/if selling property at later date. I was once quoted £2k just for the installation ( only) !!! of a 5Kw stove and surround I had purchased. Said quote was from a company over Bacup way. They intended knocking out and installing an air brick in my lounge wall for extra ventilation. Couple of chancers. Extra air bricks totally unnecessary as you don't need additional ventilation for stoves less than 5Kw ( see regs). Needless to say I installed my own ( image). Would also say, if you have a bungalow with clay pot lined chimney you do not need a liner. Had my pot-lined chimney checked and verified by a sweep before I proceeded with installations.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-10-12 at 11.52.49.png
Screenshot 2022-10-12 at 11.52.49.png (636.25 KiB) Viewed 1221 times

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:51 pm

Beware the Smokeless Zones regs.

cl40
Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by cl40 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:55 am

Any recommendations for local installaters?

Bfc

Post by Bfc » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:54 am

c140, a neighbour has had 1 installed this week by Barrowford firm. I will speak to the neighbour and see if he'd recommend them and come back with inf.

Bfc

Post by Bfc » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:34 pm

Ic140, my neighbour recommended the stove fitter, who he said did a good job at a fair price. Fleming Chimney Sweeps M07827 704525.
This user liked this post: cl40

Tread Warily
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 123 times

Post by Tread Warily » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:08 pm

Never leave a fire unattended, unless you want to live in a tent next year. :oops:

cl40
Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by cl40 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:56 pm

Thanks

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1437 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:18 pm

cl40 wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:55 am
Any recommendations for local installaters?
Had ours installed by Jack Croft- find him on Google, think he is based in keighley but was happy to travel to Pendle to fit ours.
Bought our fire in Gisburn and they recommended him, he has also installed a couple for friends following ours.

There is a new place where the Moorcock pub used to be and I think they do installations as well.

Rossendale88

Post by Rossendale88 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:16 pm

I run a fireplace/stove company in Manchester, most of East Lancs is a smokeless zone so you’ll need to make sure you choose a Defra approved fire unless you plan to only burn smokeless and no wood. Make sure you burn wood which is under 20% moisture (kiln dried or seasoned). Would recommend hard wood.

Most installers will include knock out in their price but may charge fire boarding extra. As for Multi Fuel fires Esse are good and local. Their prices have rocketed recently though. The installer should go through regs with you. Industry is manic at the minute so you might find a lot of installers are booked up for some time and manufacturers are on extended lead time for fires.

Avoid Chinese if you can, they’ve been known to warp and only last 5/10 years.