Next Transfer Window

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Re: Next Transfer Window

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:39 pm

We have quite a few options who can play the DM role. If we can keep the players on loan, we’ll just be looking for a striker I reckon. Can’t see Obafemi happening now unless it’s silly money which we won’t and shouldn’t be paying. Maybe there’s a gem in the Jupiler league…

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:47 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:06 pm
The only thing this squad really needs is a forward. Suspect the ideal is a Chris Wood/Keinan Davis type - someone with physical presence (we need it in both boxes).
I think we still need that physicality when defending corners. Swansea missed a golden chance which they should have buried with that free header in the second half and we do seem to give the opposition at least one very easy chance to score per game.
This user liked this post: clerkenwell.claret

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:58 pm

Indeed Spijed although I don't think that chance- or the similar one that very nearly preceded it from the previous corner - owed much to a lack of height (we were actually bigger than Swansea yesterday). It owed more to us being a little disorganised.

But I do think a more direct alternative to Jay Rod who offers just as much aerially would be the ideal forward option for this team. Jay could easily play deeper in this league, in the Brownhill role.

CryerBFC
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by CryerBFC » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:54 pm

A striker in the mould of Andre Gray and we walk this league. A pacy, last man, on the shoulder type striker through the middle is the only thing I see us needing. Strength in depth all over the pitch, other than maybe CB. But THB and Beyer are forming a great partnership, and Taylor can slot in there too.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11058 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:04 pm

the biggest difference for us in January is any PL team will be interested in loaning us players having seen how we play. We might go back in for that striker from Villa. There wont be a more attractive option for a young player than Burnley in January imho. I'd be surprised if we spent much money
These 2 users liked this post: MancunianClaret NewClaret

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3605 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:05 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:04 pm
the biggest difference for us in January is any PL team will be interested in loaning us players having seen how we play. We might go back in for that striker from Villa. There wont be a more attractive option for a young player than Burnley in January imho. I'd be surprised if we spent much money
Great shout r.e Cameron Archer.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11058 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:07 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:05 pm
that's him, couldn't recall his name !! :D
This user liked this post: jedi_master

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:33 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:05 pm

That may have to be after he recovers from surgery. Groin problems apparently.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 771 times
Has Liked: 10086 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:50 pm

Chris Wood.
We had zero offsides against Swansea, which needs addressing ASAP imo.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:59 pm

Juan Tanamera wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:50 pm
Chris Wood.
TBH the last thing I'd want to see up front for us right now would be anyone vaguely resembling Chris Wood.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:05 pm

I liked Chris Wood, nut he wouldn't suit our system. Not that he isn't a good striker, but horses for courses.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:07 pm

Lowton /JBG/Barnes/Taylor ( sadly ) , Long /Norris could all go on loan or be sold . Though imagine a relatively quiet window apart from couple of young uns . Though if we get loan recalls ( unlikely) I’d expect a decent signing .

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:12 pm

If we are still interested in Obafemi then I wouldn’t mind dangling Connor Roberts as bait in a part ex of some sort.

His wages would probably be an issue going back home but I think he’d take that - think it’d suit all parties

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:57 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:05 pm
I liked Chris Wood, nut he wouldn't suit our system. Not that he isn't a good striker, but horses for courses.
I don't agree with this at all. I think he'd be great in this system as a direct alternative to Jay. Different level and calibre of player, but just as Haaland has given City a new dimension because they can look in behind early and have a threat from crosses, so I think that sort of player would give us a different dimension. When you have that sort of player they don't always have to be involved in the build up, they can create the space for others to do that by occupying defenders and disrupting their shape. Put Chris Wood or his ilk up front and immediately you are playing in front of teams less.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:16 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:57 pm
I don't agree with this at all. I think he'd be great in this system as a direct alternative to Jay. Different level and calibre of player, but just as Haaland has given City a new dimension because they can look in behind early and have a threat from crosses, so I think that sort of player would give us a different dimension. When you have that sort of player they don't always have to be involved in the build up, they can create the space for others to do that by occupying defenders and disrupting their shape. Put Chris Wood or his ilk up front and immediately you are playing in front of teams less.
Sorry, Spice, but no.
And comparing Chris Wood in any way at all with Haaland is really pushing it.
These 2 users liked this post: jen1066 Juan Tanamera

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:22 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:16 pm
Sorry, Spice, but no.
And comparing Chris Wood in any way at all with Haaland is really pushing it.
He's an inferior version and we're talking about whether he'd fit into an inferior team playing at an inferior level. He scores 6 yard box goals, occupies defenders and makes good in-to-out runs in behind.

It won't happen but if there was a chance of re-signing Wood in January, I'd take him in a heartbeat. He'd score hatfuls.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3605 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:25 pm

Just a left field shout - what about the Ukrainian we were linked with in the summer, Artem Dovbyk? 25 year old, 6’2, formidable record and the Ukrainian league is cancelled for obvious reasons.

Surely that means he is available? I don’t know to be honest, just a thought though.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:26 pm

Juan Tanamera wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:50 pm
Chris Wood.
:lol: :lol:

MancunianClaret
Been Liked: 175 times
Has Liked: 322 times

Post by MancunianClaret » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:26 pm

I think Wood might have been a sarcastic suggestion initially, given the comments re offside haha.

We're amongst top scorers in the league, don't think we need another striker right now. Tall centre half wouldn't go amiss though.

[edit] Forgot about McNally after posting this

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3191 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:28 pm

A younger Jack Cork & another striker.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:29 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:22 pm
He's an inferior version and we're talking about whether he'd fit into an inferior team playing at an inferior level. He scores 6 yard box goals, occupies defenders and makes good in-to-out runs in behind.

It won't happen but if there was a chance of re-signing Wood in January, I'd take him in a heartbeat. He'd score hatfuls.
Actually I don't think he would score hatfuls.
He's been a good player for us, no doubt, but he's history.
Just as well recall Weghorst instead, he was rarely offside for a start.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:41 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:04 pm
Think you’re spot on here Vegas.

Irrespective of league placing come Jan, I think any team looking to loan their players will fancy us as the best option with our style. I’m personally hoping it may be more clubs looking to put experienced players in the shop window. I like Sanson at Villa for example. A very unlikely one would be Lokonga at Arsenal. Archer might be a goer if Stevie G survives (given he must be really p’d off) or if he goes and the new manager signs a striker in Jan.

If we push on from here & end up in a commanding position come January we’ll also be a more exciting prospect for new players.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:42 pm

Its still quite interesting to hear us saying we need a striker when we are actually pretty good for the goals scored stats so far but as people have said, we are one injury of Jay Rod and thats going to hurt us.

It will be our wage structure that is the challenge. It would be easy (if in contract) to call back Weghorst who would do well in this side. His wages though would be the problem I suspect. It suits us for him being paid by someone else.

Vydra would have a hatful in this team, I am sure also but again our wages probably wouldn't suit.

I can't see it being easy to sign from rival teams either Suspect that looking abroad would be our approach. Cant see Swansea letting Oberfami go for less unless he is out of contract in summer?

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:44 pm

Cannot believe I am hearing calls for Wood. He has barely scored a goal in 2 years, was constantly offside and a more static striker you will never see.

He did a fantastic job for us, and it’s possible to appreciate that whilst also recognising he has dropped off miles off his levels and is no longer suited to our system at all.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:20 pm

Vydra still not got a club

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:22 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:29 pm
Actually I don't think he would score hatfuls.
He's been a good player for us, no doubt, but he's history.
Just as well recall Weghorst instead, he was rarely offside for a start.
Leaving aside snarky comments about offside, why exactly don't you think someone who scored goals at an impressive rate in the best league in the world in a team which generally struggled for goals, wouldn't score goals in a team set up aggressively to create chances and is challenging at the top of an inferior league (in which he scored 27 goals last time he played in it)?

We won't sign Wood in January, hence me saying it's a "Wood like player" I think we could use, but that's because he's out of our league actually and metaphorically, not because we wouldn't want him.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:26 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:22 pm
Leaving aside snarky comments about offside, why exactly don't you think someone who scored goals at an impressive rate in the best league in the world in a team which generally struggled for goals, wouldn't score goals in a team set up aggressively to create chances in an inferior league (in which he scored 27 goals last time he played in it)?

We won't sign Wood in January, hence me saying it's a "Wood like player" I think we could use, but that's because he's out of our league actually and metaphorically, not because we wouldn't want him.
There are no "snarky" comments. Wood spent a good deal of his time offside.
i think we all get what you are on about, one of the reasons I said "anyone vaguely resembling Wood" further up.
I take it you've watched us demolish Swansea? That's all about fluid movement. Mention of Wood reminds a lot of us of the virtually static forward play served up so often in the last couple of seasons...and the offsides.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:29 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:26 pm
There are no "snarky" comments. Wood spent a good deal of his time offside.
i think we all get what you are on about, one of the reasons I said "anyone vaguely resembling Wood" further up.
I take it you've watched us demolish Swansea? That's all about fluid movement. Mention of Wood reminds a lot of us of the virtually static forward play served up so often in the last couple of seasons...and the offsides.
It is snarky.

I did watch us play Swansea. In the Championship against a defence that would struggle for pace against even Wood, who is mobile but clearly not out and out quick. He'd have fitted in just fine.

You're comparing your (unfair) recollection of Wood playing in a Sean Dyche system at a different level.

A week ago folk were criticising Jay for playing too deep and not running the channels to stretch a defence v Cov. If you didn't see Wood run from the centre into the channels in his time at Burnley, you didn't watch hard enough. There's been plenty of other games when that sort of movement might have helped us, too.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:35 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:20 pm
Vydra still not got a club
I’d definitely take him.

Suspect his agent may feel differently about the contract terms we offered now too.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:41 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:29 pm
It is snarky.

I did watch us play Swansea. In the Championship against a defence that would struggle for pace against even Wood, who is mobile but clearly not out and out quick. He'd have fitted in just fine.

You're comparing your (unfair) recollection of Wood playing in a Sean Dyche system at a different level.

A week ago folk were criticising Jay for playing too deep and not running the channels to stretch a defence v Cov. If you didn't see Wood run from the centre into the channels in his time at Burnley, you didn't watch hard enough. There's been plenty of other games when that sort of movement might have helped us, too.
OK, I give up. I know absolutely nothing about football and you are correct on every level.
But I did see Wood, I accept that he ran into channels, I accept that he scored at a fair rate, I accept that he was playing at a higher level. I also remember him being caught offside quite a lot.
What I find hard to believe is that he would fit into the current system.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:44 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:41 pm
OK, I give up. I know absolutely nothing about football and you are correct on every level.
But I did see Wood, I accept that he ran into channels, I accept that he scored at a fair rate, I accept that he was playing at a higher level. I also remember him being caught offside quite a lot.
Fair enough. But all I'm asking you to do is explain why without resorting to snarky comments about the that fact in a completely different league, in a completely different system, he was asked to make runs which resulted in him being caught offside a lot. Nothing more.

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:47 pm

Has someone been on the p1ss today?

Stayingup
Been Liked: 922 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:48 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:41 pm
In the second half yesterday we had some good crosses go in but nobody there to put the ball in the net. A CF, maybe Wood, would have had a field day.
This user liked this post: claretspice

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:55 pm

Gyokeres would be a fantastic bit of business. Couple that with a young central midfielder player and that would be perfect.

I think Taylor may leave in January

Brownhill depending on the amount offered may also leave .

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:57 pm

Wood a great servant for us but he looked a shadow of his former self in his latter days here and, evidently, at NUFC who are looking to offload sharpish. I’m not convinced he’d be great in this system tbh, but I do also think he’d get goals at this level simply due to the lack of defensive quality. I’ve said before that I’d have Weghorst back in Jan if at all possible (highly doubtful for various reasons) whose style I think would be spot on in VK’s system.
Last edited by Swizzlestick on Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill NewClaret

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:58 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:48 pm
In the second half yesterday we had some good crosses go in but nobody there to put the ball in the net. A CF, maybe Wood, would have had a field day.
Yep.
Shame we didn't score from any crosses yesterday.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:00 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:44 pm
Fair enough. But all I'm asking you to do is explain why without resorting to snarky comments about the that fact in a completely different league, in a completely different system, he was asked to make runs which resulted in him being caught offside a lot. Nothing more.
I have not made a single (as you put it) snarky comment.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:20 pm

Nothing "snarky" about this:

Burnley's New Zealand striker Chris Wood has earned the dishonour of being caught offside more than any other player during the recent Premier League season.

The 27-year-old was flagged offside 53 times in his 38 appearances, which was 15 more than second-placed Glenn Murray (38).
This user liked this post: Rats_cle

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:30 pm

Not so sure Obafemi is pacy enough for us.

Lowton may go, especially if Sean Dyche gets a club.
Westwood too, although I see him as strong in the new year.

Directors looking to get more funds in....Westwood stays, Brownhill goes.
BPF may also command a few quid.
Striker? Not so sure.

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:57 pm

I think it will be more about us moving out some of our remaining older players. Lowton, Long, Norris, maybe Barnes if we can bring in another forward.

NoFixedAbode_Claret
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by NoFixedAbode_Claret » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:12 pm

Don't do owt

Get Twine back, get Derv back in and other injured parties back. Rest is fine if we play it right

Lets go up and then attract a new top drawer Striker or two

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7199 times

Post by Quicknick » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:22 am

NoFixedAbode_Claret wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:12 pm
Don't do owt

Get Twine back, get Derv back in and other injured parties back. Rest is fine if we play it right

Lets go up and then attract a new top drawer Striker or two
Signing players in the EPL, strikers or other positions, will be the difficult bit. Assuming we go up, that is.