How would Kompany's style do in the Prem?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BurnleySteve_
Been Liked: 12 times

How would Kompany's style do in the Prem?

Post by BurnleySteve_ » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:05 am

Averaging 64% possession at the moment, playing fantastic, how will it carry over to the prem?

Brighton should be the role model.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Re: How would Kompany's style do in the Prem?

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:17 pm

The system is sound. I’d be concerned that some of the current side might not be. We are very small by PL standards. I’m sure plans are in place.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:19 pm

Any system can work in the Premier League as long as you have the right players to implement it, we’ve pretty much proved that over the last six or seven years.
This user liked this post: claret54

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:22 pm

system would be fine; you'd just need a few better defensive players because as we know, the top attackers in the premier league are clinical and ruthless.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:27 pm

Our defense isn’t good enough for the PL in this system. It’s not the system that’s wrong, there’s nothing unique about it, it’s just novel for us, but we’re not yet good enough playing the system to see us not struggle in the PL

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:58 pm

It's very difficult to say because there is such a gulf in class between the two divisions. Both Jay Rod and Cork are 34 next season so I don't see them playing at PL level for a season. And no one knows what will happen to the 5 loan players. I think JBG is probably also too ahem experienced for the PL - he will be 33 next year. And Brownhill won't set the PL alight in the same way as he has in the Championship.

If you set aside all the practical considerations and take the question at face value then I tend to think as others do that defensively we aren't strong enough and we would struggle against a PL low block.

I think we are currently winning because we have the best players in the division who are capable of individual brilliance.

So, my answer would be that if we could sign the loanees and get another season out of Jay Rod, Cork and JGB with the addition of a pacy quality front running striker we would probably do fine because it would make the system work slightly better.

However, as it is there are too many ifs, buts and maybe. Apologies, for the slightly down beat answer I know it will annoy the "lol/rofl/emoji" crew but it is what it is.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:05 pm

This system would need more money spent on it than a Dyche style system because ball playing footballers are much more expensive than blockers and harriers. This isn't a criticism of Dyche, just that his style was much more percentage based, direct, get up the pitch rather than controlled and patient, and you need comparatively better quality players to do what Kompany wants to do.

There's nothing wrong with the style Kompany is using though. It's different enough to not be a City clone but it is still comfortably within the modern football du jour.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:05 pm

I don't think the system would work at all if I'm being honest.
It relies completely on having a lot of possession and I don't think that will be possible in the premier league with the kind of players we have now or we ones can attract.

We'd need some remarkable recruitment and have to adapt much better to play more defensively to stand a chance in most games.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:10 pm

Obviously depends on what we could do in the transfer market. Think we'd get some hammerings, but no reason why we couldn't compete with the teams down the bottom end.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:17 pm

Cross - bridge - come…
These 3 users liked this post: Leisure jen1066 Vegas Claret

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1149 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:22 pm

System would be fine but players would need a huge upgrade

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by Woonderbah » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:46 pm

I'd like to see us draw a reasonable PL team in the FA cup, just to see how we'd measure up at the moment. I think we'd be competitive tbh

jen1066
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by jen1066 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:47 pm

1. System would work absolutely fine
2. Kompany would improve positions that need improving
3. We'd stay up.
This user liked this post: RVclaret

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:05 pm

Its been said by a few "our defence isn`t good enough for the prem" ... well let me just say this "our defence is just 19 games into their 1st season together, and is a very young defence... They are learning with each game. Mistakes will be made... We joke about Slabhead and co not being good enough and the errors he/they make. Yet he is a seasoned international ... perhaps some need to think about where we are and how things are progressing" ...

I reckon by this time next year (assuming we are in the PL) then our defence will have sorted itself out a bit more and we may just find ourselves in a decent midtable position.

Well thats my thoughts ... no doubt loads will disagree :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Bosscat on Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:06 pm

Well seen as quite a lot of our goals have come in transition/on the counter I think we’d fare just fine.

It’s not about possession for possession sake - just when we’re playing teams that sit back we will naturally have more of the ball.

Kompany’s ethos as he has stated numerous times is about scoring goals from any possible area of the pitch. We would be fine
This user liked this post: RVclaret

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by Woonderbah » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:24 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:05 pm
Its been said by a few "our defence isn`t good enough for the prem" ... well let me just say this "our defence is just 19 games into their 1st season together, and is a very young defence... They are learning with each game. Mistakes will be made...
True.. with no pre-season and so many players having to gel and mold into a team, this has all been done in front of the cameras so to speak.. it's a shame the World Cup comes when we're gathering momentum but the break will be an opportunity to improve and polish the rough edges.. VK's doing a remarkable job

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:38 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Its been said by a few "our defence isn`t good enough for the prem" ... well let me just say this "our defence is just 19 games into their 1st season together, and is a very young defence... They are learning with each game. Mistakes will be made...
being not good enough is not in competition with how young, in all senses, our defense is. The two statements can both be true. There is still learning and development to be done for it to be "good enough" but the OP didn't qualify the question by saying "once our system and the players mature how would Kompany's style do?"

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:44 pm

I see no reason why the system wouldn’t work as it is basically City’s system and they don’t do to badly. As has been pointed out it isn’t the system that wouldn’t work but the players. With no disrespect to them it’s brilliant with these players in the Championship but there has to be a question mark over whether the players themselves could make the move up. Jay is having a field day but wasn’t too hot last season (but to be fair that may have been Dyches system). Tella is magnificent for us but there must be a reason why Southampton don’t use him in the PL. In fact all our loanees seem good to excellent but high quality players don’t generally go out on loan.
As and when we do go up I wouldn’t expect this team as it is to be playing regularly in the PL. This system only works in the PL if you have the highest quality players and with all the best will in the world I’m not sure they are that good.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 5066 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:08 pm

Kompany's style would thrive in the prem, that doesn't mean that we would.

As others have said we would need to improve drastically at the back, but there is a lot of improvement to come, I hope.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:26 pm

NRC wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:38 pm
being not good enough is not in competition with how young, in all senses, our defense is. The two statements can both be true. There is still learning and development to be done for it to be "good enough" but the OP didn't qualify the question by saying "once our system and the players mature how would Kompany's style do?"
Where did I mention the OP ... I mentioned some on here say "some on here say our defence isn't good enough for the PL" and gave my thoughts on that.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:30 pm

Lionel Messi is looking for a club next season..Kompany may be able to arrange this one..🤔🤭

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:26 pm

I am thoroughly enjoying this season. Brilliant football. A Pace definitely pulled a rabbit out of the hat by ditching Dyche & bringing Kompany and staff in.
Having said that I think next season will be the hardest ever.
Kompany has the knowledge to put together a team, playing this style in the Championship but not a cat in hells chance in the PL.
We will be left with Muric, Roberts, Taylor, Cullen, Zaroury, and Brownhill.
If we sign any of the loan players that's the budget blown.
I hope I'm wrong but I really can't see any light at the end of this tunnel.

jen1066

Post by jen1066 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:40 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:26 pm
I am thoroughly enjoying this season. Brilliant football. A Pace definitely pulled a rabbit out of the hat by ditching Dyche & bringing Kompany and staff in.
Having said that I think next season will be the hardest ever.
Kompany has the knowledge to put together a team, playing this style in the Championship but not a cat in hells chance in the PL.
We will be left with Muric, Roberts, Taylor, Cullen, Zaroury, and Brownhill.
If we sign any of the loan players that's the budget blown.
I hope I'm wrong but I really can't see any light at the end of this tunnel.
1. I think next season will be the hardest ever.
2. Kompany has the knowledge to put together a team, playing this style in the Championship but not a cat in hells chance in the PL.
3. We will be left with Muric, Roberts, Taylor, Cullen, Zaroury, and Brownhill
4. If we sign any of the loan players that's the budget blown.
5. I hope I'm wrong but I really can't see any light at the end of this tunnel.

Jesus Christ put the razorblade down. Stone the feckin crows!

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:01 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Its been said by a few "our defence isn`t good enough for the prem" ... well let me just say this "our defence is just 19 games into their 1st season together, and is a very young defence... They are learning with each game. Mistakes will be made... We joke about Slabhead and co not being good enough and the errors he/they make. Yet he is a seasoned international ... perhaps some need to think about where we are and how things are progressing" ...

I reckon by this time next year (assuming we are in the PL) then our defence will have sorted itself out a bit more and we may just find ourselves in a decent midtable position.

Well thats my thoughts ... no doubt loads will disagree :lol: :lol: :lol:
whilst agreeing in principle, we have to remember that 3/4 of our defence is loanees.
There will be changes whether we go up or not.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:23 am

Brighton with their billionaire owner of very deep pockets fame should be our role model £500m spent in the last 6yrs?

wbfc
Been Liked: 110 times

Post by wbfc » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:24 am

I think this has been up there with the 4th division and first premier promotion season in terms of excitement...but for me I was more sure we would do it in those seasons than this...

I do not buy into we are the best team in the league business..for me there is not much in it between the top and the bottom of the league..I am not saying we cannot be champions but I would not be surprised if they were not either...albeit it would be amazing if we were

For me it might be a case of taking the money a one year stay and then try again..

Looking at us at the moment the goalkeeper is improving and is starting to make crucial saves ...but when faced with lots to do I think the premier would be too much for him

The centre halfs and Vertino and Matsen next year might be a year to soon but going to have good careers

Midfield Cork having a great season but for me needs replacing at the end of season due to age ..same as JBG and JRod

Benson still improving same Tella and Anas ..

Cullen I think championship may be his level and Brownhill to a lesser extent..

Charlie Taylor never truly kicked on but like a few of the others above with 4 to 5 new players could at least form a competitive side in the top league..

Remember too a lot of players we are only borrowing as well..

May be in the Premier we could get some of Matsen, TBH, Bayer, Tella back for another year ...

I still think even with them we would still need 2 goalkeepers , 4 defenders, 3 CMs and 2 strikers which given the cost of players in the Premier would not fit the model we have

I think winning the championship is far more difficult than people are now making out ..that it would be a wonderful achievement even getting promoted .. the other 3 promotions were all great in their own right ...I think the Coyle season was sensational..then the Ings season some great performances the last promotion very very gritty. This would be remarkable to given where we were in the summer..

Just as we were before our biggest asset seems to be our manager...my biggest fear is he is far more likely to be coverted by others and more likely when push comes to shove to go than SD. ...

I think with a goalkeeper a centre half a CM and a striker who could score 8 to 10 goals we would have a chance of staying up right to the end ...at least we would be trying to win matches at home ..then a bit of luck / rub of the green would be required

I would say on balance we might go back down but let's keep a young squad and the new style...Bit more height and strength is required for me as soon as the next transfer window

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:37 am

The Championship is hardly more difficult than people are making out when a team that has been fully rebuilt in 1 transfer window can manage to lose just once. Our team shows that the Championship is quite straightforward tbh. The issue is the number of games and having to play other teams when they clearly have a schedule advantage. This has already happened against Sunderland and will be happening today.

In terms of the style in the prem, we will have to see but if there’s more investment along with the current management team there is no reason we can’t do as well as Fulham have this season. The manager has joined a new team in a new league and within almost 5 months with a turnover of around 16 players has managed to lose just once (unluckily).

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:14 am

VK has signed a lot of players that we'd never heard of and it turns out that they are doing a good job in division 2.
He is also going to know of a lot of players that we've probably never heard of that would not have wanted to play in div 2, but would play in div 1 if given the chance.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:22 am

Kompany has signed the players required on the budget required for this level. If the loans go back, we will loan some more. We will sign the players required again for the level we are at. So with this team, I think it would be a relegation battle but with a summer window we will be fine.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3349 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:35 am

Style would be excellent and I wouldn't expect that to change in any way. Personnel would need seriously upgrading in a number of areas and I'm certain VK knows that.

jen1066

Post by jen1066 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:38 am

It would be interesting to see how Benson and Zaroury got on if we go up and they remain at the club. Although at 25, Benson would probably be one we'd sell for a profit.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:46 am

Would be difficult with the current squad due to the physicality. However having the pace we currently possess alongside a bit more muscle would make for some interesting clashes.

You have to remember those Clubs that played brilliant, attractive possession based football with all the sexy playing out from the back stuff that walked the Championship.

They got to do it again 12 months later!

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:55 am

We need a lot of chances to score and we give chances at the back.

Not a recipe for prem success. However, we are not in the prem, half the team will go at the end of the season and if successful, we would have lots more money.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:16 am

JohnMac wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:46 am

You have to remember those Clubs that played brilliant, attractive possession based football with all the sexy playing out from the back stuff that walked the Championship.

They got to do it again 12 months later!
Forest have clearly had to reign in a lot of their attacking football from last season and they had to grind out a result against Liverpool, although even being a bit more defensive didn't seem to work against Arsenal for them.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:36 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:16 am
Forest have clearly had to reign in a lot of their attacking football from last season and they had to grind out a result against Liverpool, although even being a bit more defensive didn't seem to work against Arsenal for them.
Similar to us in having a new squad this season but having the pressure of going up a level without much experience.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:06 pm

I just can't see how we have a chance of surviving they way we defend.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:06 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:06 pm
I just can't see how we have a chance of surviving they way we defend.
We defend?

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:16 pm

Today was just a taster to what would happen to this team in the Premier league...and as much as I don't rate BPF he has to play next game...I stand by my earlier assessment Muric simply is not good enough.