Vincent Kompany interview - The Times

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Vincent Kompany interview - The Times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:13 am

HENRY WINTER | VINCENT KOMPANY INTERVIEW
How Brussels, battlefields and Burnley shape Vincent Kompany’s life
Manchester City legend talks to Henry Winter about his flying start at Burnley, family values and why this time of year is important to him

In Flanders Fields, the poppies blow; between the crosses, row on row.” Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae’s famous elegy to those lost at Ypres in 1918 is familiar verse to Vincent Kompany. Burnley’s manager has visited the First World War battlefields in his Belgian homeland, knows Flanders well, spent part of his childhood in the Ardennes, the scene of the Battle of the Bulge in 1944-45, and his awareness of the sacrifice means he is heavily involved in his club’s Remembrance Day plans.

Burnley are at present engaged in preparations for the Truce Tournament at St George’s Park, where their under-12s play teams from Germany, France and Belgium and learn more about McCrae and In Flanders Fields. Kompany’s club also work with their fierce rivals, Blackburn Rovers, to organise a wreath-laying ceremony by two legends still to be decided before their Sky Bet Championship meeting at Turf Moor a week on Sunday.

The East Lancashire derby dates back to 1884 but has not been contested for five years, and has been scarred with trouble. The possibility of fans clashing on Remembrance Sunday, of all days, worries organisers, which is why they are working hard to promote harmony between the clubs.

A day of great poignancy should resonate with supporters. Nineteen Burnley players, including five who played in the 1914 FA Cup Final, fought in the First World War. Nine never returned. Sixteen Rovers players also fought in the Great War. Three perished, including the prolific Eddie Latheron, an England international who died at the Third Battle of Ypres. In all, 296 Football League players died in Flanders Fields and adjoining killing fields.

An excellent article by Henry Winter on Vincent Kompany. A must read for all fans of Burnley.

Link will take you past The Times paywall:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c80e ... 90ef6bd278

UTC
These 10 users liked this post: bobinho Ashingtonclaret46 SalisburyClaret frankinwales Buxtonclaret Steve1956 Claretlad HeatonMoorClaret bfcjg HunterST_BFC

CardyTheClaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Re: Vincent Kompany interview - The Times

Post by CardyTheClaret » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:35 am

THAT banner will haunt us forever.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2635 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:49 am

Thanks Paul Waine for making that very interesting article available for us to read.
We are all shaped by our upbringing and, to achieve what he already has as a player, Vincent is obviously very hard driven and has a work ethic which he will expect others to follow to gain success. Good luck to him in everything he is tryng to achieve.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Shipclaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Shipclaret » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:00 am

Very good article, he always comes across as thoughtful and considered with his responses. I wonder how long the list of Burnley managers with an MBA could be? Anyway win today and teed up for next week.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:05 am

Brilliant article...we are blessed to have him as our manager...long may it continue

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:06 am

CardyTheClaret wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:35 am
Still thousands of Burnley fans in complete denial about the short, medium and long term affects of that

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:07 am

What a top man.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:11 am

Always comes across really well

bobinho
Been Liked: 4110 times
Has Liked: 6592 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:13 am

CardyTheClaret wrote:
Only if you let it….
These 5 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 jen1066 bfcjg MeeActon1 fatboy47

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:16 am

Paywalls can easily be dodged - for The Times articles on the Ipad I hit the ‘x’ the instant the page loads and it doesn’t bring up the paywall.

OK interview but Henry is a bit of a leftie and I found it a bit boring. Nothing about playing style, ambition for this season, specific players or even the inner workings of the football club. Depressingly, but predictably, nothing either about the lives of people in the town as many face a grim, grim winter where football can give everyone a lift and VK could have a big responsibility in this regard. Just references to everyone in Burnley supports Burnley which is the easiest of stereotypes.

But hey, I’d rather read it than a Pep interview.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:25 am

“The possibility of fans clashing on Remembrance Sunday, of all days, worries organisers, which is why they are working hard to promote harmony between the clubs.”

I’m afraid it doesn’t. The organisers were Sky, and they couldn’t give a shiny shite. In fact, I’d go as far as to say they LOVE the idea that there is an edge to this game that may blow up on the day. Anything that could grow the viewing figures.

Fantastic article btw. We have been very lucky for a long time in having managers in charge of our club that have certain qualities. Dyche was a man who spoke well, was very considered and was easy to respect, and VK has that same quality I think. Not to mention some of our players too. The post match interview with Ben Mee after ‘that’ match was something to behold. He took control of the interview immediately and for my money, he pulled it back.
So you guys remember the banner, I’ll remember Ben Mee. The banner didn’t define us as a club, Ben Mee did.
These 3 users liked this post: fatboy47 k90bfc boatshed bill

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2329 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:27 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:06 am
Still thousands of Burnley fans in complete denial about the short, medium and long term affects of that
Unfortunately it’s a higher number than most will realise on here

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:32 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:16 am
Paywalls can easily be dodged - for The Times articles on the Ipad I hit the ‘x’ the instant the page loads and it doesn’t bring up the paywall.

OK interview but Henry is a bit of a leftie and I found it a bit boring. Nothing about playing style, ambition for this season, specific players or even the inner workings of the football club. Depressingly, but predictably, nothing either about the lives of people in the town as many face a grim, grim winter where football can give everyone a lift and VK could have a big responsibility in this regard. Just references to everyone in Burnley supports Burnley which is the easiest of stereotypes.

I used The Times "share" facility. It creates the link that allows any non-subscriber to read the article. All "legit."

I don't think a personal profile, which is what Henry Winter is producing, needs to be about "playing style, ambition for this season" and all the other footballing stuff. It's good to know something about Vincent Kompany's background in Brussels and Belgium and make the link between where he was brought up and the meaning of Remembrance Day in Northeast Lancashire, especially with the Cotton Mills Derby on the 13th.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:38 am

"So you guys remember the banner, I’ll remember Ben Mee. The banner didn’t define us as a club, Ben Mee did."

Naivety writ large.

The general reputation of Burnley the town and also the football club was damaged by the banner. Peoples perception of the town and the football club is that it contains lots of racists. When you have a strong perception like that, sadly, the truth becomes irrelevant. Sure, we know it was an idiotic minority but the country at large do not see that.

i happen to think that employing VK as our manager will go a long way to repairing that damage.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:43 am

It seems that football articles/interviews these days have to discuss issues outside of football too and I don't like it.

When I read an interview of VK I want to hear football talk - tactics, fitness, nutrition, referees etc.. I do not want to hear his views, no matter what his expertise, or how justified or important they actually are to him or the interviewer, on World Wars, BLM, Putin...... These can be found in other places.

SimonSays
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by SimonSays » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:44 am

I think this was at a time when people believed BLM was an anti-racist group. Perhaps it wouldn't be seen in such a bad light now it's exposed as a political group intent on closing down police forces across the United States.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1491 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:46 am

An excellent piece, we really struck gold when VK was appointed

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6971 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:48 am

Hipper wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:43 am
It seems that football articles/interviews these days have to discuss issues outside of football too and I don't like it.

When I read an interview of VK I want to hear football talk - tactics, fitness, nutrition, referees etc.. I do not want to hear his views, no matter what his expertise, or how justified or important they actually are to him or the interviewer, on World Wars, BLM, Putin...... These can be found in other places.
Probably best not to read an article titled ‘ How Brussels, battlefields and Burnley shape Vincent Kompany’s life’. It’s not a football article.
These 2 users liked this post: Hipper Burnley Ace

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:54 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:06 am
It only has an affect now if people with agendas keep bringing it up
Kompany has done many interviews since he's been here, that's the first time I can remember it being raised

Henry always has an agenda
This user liked this post: bfcjg

houseboy
Been Liked: 2242 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:01 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

I think you are missing the point of the article a little. I don’t think it was meant to be about football per se, more about the man, and in that sense it wasn’t the least boring. But then your mention of Henry being ‘a bit of a leftie’ probably coloured your view of the article before you even read it I suspect, otherwise why would you even mention it? And why the need to mention how grim life is going to be in Burnley this winter, it’s going to be grim in most places don’t you think?
However like everyone you have your opinion and that’s fine, it’s what keeps life interesting I suppose. Just hope that after our next two games we are all singing from one hymn sheet.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:06 am

Hipper wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:43 am

So you want him to manage our team (which he is doing brilliantly) but you have no interest in the man or his views or his life? There is more to life than football and managers and players are human beings with feelings and histories and problems, but you have no interest in this? I find that somewhat odd really.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5093 times
Has Liked: 6918 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:08 am

Fantastic article such an intelligent decent guy,destined for great things.
Re the banner without wishing this to become the main debate on this thread it is only journalists who now bring it up, look at our wonderful multi cultured team who are absolutely loved by the fans,that for me is what I associate Burnley with.
These 4 users liked this post: jen1066 MeeActon1 Stalbansclaret k90bfc

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:10 am

I think we should be careful about talking banners too much lest the thread overflows into discussions about racism, which could get a nice thread closed. Just a thought.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:16 am

I can't believe Henry Winter and Vincent Kompany didn't shape their entire discussion to suit the tastes of Hipper from uptheclarets.com

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by LeadBelly » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:20 am

CardyTheClaret wrote:
Only by arguing about it "in house" I think.

I dont live in the area (moved away in my early 20s and 70+ now). I go to a lot of sporting events and music events and Ive got quite a lot of sports-interested chums. I'm fairly chatty and talk to people around me who often ask where I come from and talk footy/sports etc. NOBODY has ever mentioned "the banner" in conversation.

I doubt many people outside of Burnley (or those with agendas relating to the area) remember the banner and even less where it happened (probably as many think it was Barnsley as Burnley).

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:20 am

houseboy wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:10 am
I think we should be careful about talking banners too much lest the thread overflows into discussions about racism, which could get a nice thread closed. Just a thought.
People are only talking about it because a journalist brought it up
Which other bits of the interview should we ignore?

SimonSays

Post by SimonSays » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:14 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:20 am
Maybe VK should of taken a leaf out of Iron Mikes book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOhdx1TLutw

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 473 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:21 am

That is such a great article. CLR James wrote ‘What do they know of cricket who only cricket know?’ To have such a thoughtful and well rounded man in charge is a massive asset.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:32 am

That was an intelligent article. Winter uses the analogy of war, specifically that in the Belgian arena, as a compare and contrast to the sporting “war” (as a metaphor) of the upcoming derby. He suggests Kompany’s knowledge of the one through teaching and the touch points of his homeland “arm” him for the sporting event. He also used VK’s race as an instrument to not shy away from addressing the rivalry issue, by embracing both race and rivalry as issues to discuss openly.

The inclusion of the commentary on Bellamy was interesting. He could have chosen to not have included it, but I suspect it was padding to make up a word count

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:29 pm

NRC wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:32 am
That was an intelligent article. Winter uses the analogy of war, specifically that in the Belgian arena, as a compare and contrast to the sporting “war” (as a metaphor) of the upcoming derby. He suggests Kompany’s knowledge of the one through teaching and the touch points of his homeland “arm” him for the sporting event. He also used VK’s race as an instrument to not shy away from addressing the rivalry issue, by embracing both race and rivalry as issues to discuss openly.

The inclusion of the commentary on Bellamy was interesting. He could have chosen to not have included it, but I suspect it was padding to make up a word count
The inclusion of Bellamy was so he could tick the mental health box along with the race one. Journalism by numbers.

The real battle for these towns is not on a football pitch but a socio-economic one as they try to meet the challenges of the modern world.

And a much more interesting piece would be about the way football ownership has changed and community assets are increasingly owned by capital in manifest different ways for different business and political reasons.

And it didn't address those issues because the Times is a Murdoch paper read by middle class neo-liberals.

Nothing Left wing about any of it...!

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:30 pm

Sports journalists should stick to sport

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 358 times
Has Liked: 330 times

Post by HahaYeah » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:53 pm

Kick politics out of football.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:05 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:20 am
Absolutely none. But many things were spoken about other than that but as a topic it’s being spoken about more than anything. Which bit of the article would you ignore?

My words were just a warning because you know what it’s like on here but people just carry on then all of a sudden the thread disappears. More than enough has been said in the past about that incident, we should put it to bed now I think. It was an isolated incident carried by people with an agenda.

But do as you please, it’s a free country.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:24 pm

houseboy wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:05 pm
Absolutely none. But many things were spoken about other than that but as a topic it’s being spoken about more than anything. Which bit of the article would you ignore?

My words were just a warning because you know what it’s like on here but people just carry on then all of a sudden the thread disappears. More than enough has been said in the past about that incident, we should put it to bed now I think. It was an isolated incident carried by people with an agenda.

But do as you please, it’s a free country.
I wouldn't ignore any of it, which is my point, if you are discussing an article, you shouldn't pick and choose which bits are not up for debate.
the discussion was more about why the question was asked not particularly the politics behind the banner

Hipper

Post by Hipper » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:07 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:16 am
I can't believe Henry Winter and Vincent Kompany didn't shape their entire discussion to suit the tastes of Hipper from uptheclarets.com
Nor can I. That's why I mentioned it. :-)

CardyTheClaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by CardyTheClaret » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:23 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:13 am
Only if you let it….
If I’d written the article that would be a really good point.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:32 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:29 pm
And a much more interesting piece would be about the way football ownership has changed and community assets are increasingly owned by capital in manifest different ways for different business and political reasons.
Sorry Pete, as someone who writes a lot of articles I would never waste a second concept by blending it into another. And while your concept is interesting, that would be a Pace focus, not a Kompany’s focus….

You should write it up yourself and post it on here

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:33 pm

SimonSays wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:44 am
I think this was at a time when people believed BLM was an anti-racist group. Perhaps it wouldn't be seen in such a bad light now it's exposed as a political group intent on closing down police forces across the United States.
Oh good

Another one

Lovely

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:27 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:33 pm
Oh good

Another one

Lovely
Why do you do that?

Why on earth can you not see that most of the humans on the planet regardless of the colour of their skin can see that BLM was nothing more than a vociferous mouthpiece for racist bile?

Surely EVERYONE knows that now?

Nobody really got behind it because they KNEW it was disgusting, but some people couldn't wait to jump on a bandwagon. “Look at me everyone, I’m not a racist because I kneel”. 🤔😳🥴

It’s been “downgraded” now and rightly so. The whole organisation has been an embarrassment to everything that's good in the world. It set race relations back decades.
These 2 users liked this post: SimonSays DomBFC1882

Hipper

Post by Hipper » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:07 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

Which of course is not true. It certainly wasn't when I used to go.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:38 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:24 pm
I wouldn't ignore any of it, which is my point, if you are discussing an article, you shouldn't pick and choose which bits are not up for debate.
the discussion was more about why the question was asked not particularly the politics behind the banner
Indeed, it's a difficult difficult discussion because it conforms to very banal but oft used narratives, which people lapse into unthinkingly.

The banner was bought and paid for by an individual who did not represent any organisations and it was roundly condemned by everyone.

On the other hand, one of the clubs involved is owned by billionaires from an Indian conglomerate who have heavily subsidised a community asset.

One point is hardly credible the other left untouched.

The point is that this is a stereotypical article written by someone of a certain background.

Is it not arguably racist itself to reduce the achievements of a very successful individual to a one dimensional discussion of race based on the actions of one individual acting alone? And ignore the actions of Indian businessmen who have effectively subsidised a community asset over many years.

And contrary to NRCs point I don't see these are two different issues.

For me, racism is complex and intersectional and this article falls the wrong side of the line. Predictably poor by a former Westminster pupil....!

So, I agree the question is not the politics behind the banner but the inferences and prejudices that prompted the question.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:51 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:27 am
Why do you do that?

Why on earth can you not see that most of the humans on the planet regardless of the colour of their skin can see that BLM was nothing more than a vociferous mouthpiece for racist bile?

Surely EVERYONE knows that now?

Nobody really got behind it because they KNEW it was disgusting, but some people couldn't wait to jump on a bandwagon. “Look at me everyone, I’m not a racist because I kneel”. 🤔😳🥴

It’s been “downgraded” now and rightly so. The whole organisation has been an embarrassment to everything that's good in the world. It set race relations back decades.
Absolute bobbins mate

I'm a middle aged white male, and I can see exactly what they are on about

Why can't you?
This user liked this post: Greenmile

SimonSays

Post by SimonSays » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:55 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:51 pm
Absolute bobbins mate

I'm a middle aged white male, and I can see exactly what they are on about

Why can't you?
I am afraid you are out of touch.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2694 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:55 pm

A Good Read.

Thank you for posting the readable link Paul.

Cheers Fella !
This user liked this post: houseboy

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:00 pm

SimonSays wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:55 pm
Only with people like you mate, and I'm very, very glad about that

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5214 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:03 pm

SimonSays wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:55 pm
Says the bloke who doesn't even understand the basic idea behind the term "defund the police" The defund the police you're thinking of is what the Tory's have done tp the UK police force over the last decade and nothing remotely to do with what the 'BLM' movement is talking about.

It amazes me that such ignorant people talk with such certainty about subjects they know so little about.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

SimonSays

Post by SimonSays » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:14 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:03 pm
Says the bloke who doesn't even understand the basic idea behind the term "defund the police" The defund the police you're thinking of is what the Tory's have done tp the UK police force over the last decade and nothing remotely to do with what the 'BLM' movement is talking about.

It amazes me that such ignorant people talk with such certainty about subjects they know so little about.
I mean, you can actually see them here saying exactly what I suggested,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7aQ02YX7qo

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5214 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:19 pm

SimonSays wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:14 pm
I mean, you can actually see them here saying exactly what I suggested,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7aQ02YX7qo
Well if you're getting your information from Tucker Carlson and Fox News then no wonder you haven't got a clue about what is really going on

SimonSays

Post by SimonSays » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:21 pm

Following Black Lives Matter Protests, Minneapolis Announces Plans to Defund Police

https://immigrationnews.co.uk/minneapol ... -defunded/

SimonSays

Post by SimonSays » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:22 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:19 pm
Well if you're getting your information from Tucker Carlson and Fox News then no wonder you haven't got a clue about what is really going on
Seriously ? IT IS ACTUAL FOOTAGE of the BLM for goodness sake. Ignorant is bliss I suppose eh