How are you feeling about Sunday?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Re: How are you feeling about Sunday?

Post by RVclaret » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:53 am

beddie wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:51 am
Fine. If we have all the players available and rested we’ll be okay. I hope he plays a full second group tonight. Will rovers put a decent team out against the hammers tomorrow night, hopefully they do and it benefits us.
Think I read their manager say they’ll be making changes. Whether that means the entire 11 I’m not sure.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:58 am

Feel fine, we know if we play well we win.

Far too much has been made of a poor 45 minutes on Saturday. I imagine both Kompany and the players have a bit more about them then go panic and start wanting to change everything.

They lost 3-0 at Sheffield Utd and never managed a shot on target. They have also lost to Stoke. Bristol City, Luton, Coventry, Cardiff & Wigan. Not sure there is any need to make them out to be a good side.

Cubanforever
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Cubanforever » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:14 am

wbfc wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:22 am
Just another game for me...Will be for the players and VK too..I find if you do not gloat too much when you win ...you do not suffer too much when you lose ..

Even if we lose it has been a good first half of the season....a striker and a centre half and possibly a central midfielder required for me in the window...

I would get another goalkeeper but I think VK will stick with Muric ...I think he would do better with a big commanding centre half in front of him

For me when Ings scored it really meant something but there is nearly half a season left after Sunday ..

I just hope everyone enjoys the game and gets home safely and there is no crowd trouble...there really should not be..you need to deal with success and disappointment with a calm head and hopefully the minutes silence for poppy day is respected too..

I can remember watching a 1-0 defeat from the cricket field stand late 70s on boxing day ..i was young and disappointed ..but fighting over a football match is just as stupid and pointless as fighting to sit on the back seat of the school bus ...hooliganism was a product of the times we lived in the 70s and 80s there is no similar undertone to life now.. for me hatred of Blackburn is way over the top...

In the day I did not like Jack Holden on Radio Blackburn or Simon Garner on the pitch...I have never really warmed to Dalglish after he took Jack Walkers money ...

I was at Ewood Park when they were relegated and that was a bit of karma ..but I will not be part of the Sky Sports generation and build every game up to life and death..Bill Shankly was a true great but for me Clarets v Rovers is not as important as life and death...I used to take until Monday midmorning to get over a defeat...I am generally over it by the time my beautiful young wife gets home from work and takes me yo bed :lol: :lol:
You can keep out of my bed if you don't mind

Bowclaret
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bowclaret » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:33 am

I travelled on the train yesterday to London so watched the highlight videos of our home games to kill some time. I suggest that anyone who is feeling anxious about the game do the same - the highlights had me purring - play like we can and we will murder them ! And we WILL murder them !

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:04 am

Goody1975 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:53 pm
Rovers lad at work is telling me how they have Rovers fans in their team and quite a few who've been at the club so long that it makes them Rovers fans as well. He also says a group of fans stayed behind on Saturday to see their players as they left the ground to remind them that they can't lose on Sunday.

He reckons that the majority of our team won't have a clue about the rivalry and that it will give them an advantage.
I think our number 9 will make sure everyone is well aware of it.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:25 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:58 am
Feel fine, we know if we play well we win.

Far too much has been made of a poor 45 minutes on Saturday. I imagine both Kompany and the players have a bit more about them then go panic and start wanting to change everything.

They lost 3-0 at Sheffield Utd and never managed a shot on target. They have also lost to Stoke. Bristol City, Luton, Coventry, Cardiff & Wigan. Not sure there is any need to make them out to be a good side.
That’s made me feel slightly better tbf

Hurstwood_Claret
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Hurstwood_Claret » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:40 am

8-0 Demolition would be lovely.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:42 am

beddie wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:51 am
Fine. If we have all the players available and rested we’ll be okay.
This.

They need a rest, and I wouldn't play anyone who was involved on Saturday.

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:47 am

I was a lot more confident before the Sheff U game!

Having grown up in the time when Rovers were far superior and it seemed impossible that we would ever be the ones on top, I'm keen to keep the unbeaten (if not winning) run against them for as long as possible. Yes, it's only worth 3 points but we're not going to be playing for a month or so after this game. The unique nature of the championship means you can normally put bad performances behind you fairly quickly, but this one would linger - for the fans as much as the players!

If they win they go top of the league, on our turf, I think that will give them an extra edge, but equally it should give us an edge too to not let that happen.

As VK said in his press conference, a derby is a derby - anything could happen, I just hope we turn up

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:52 am

Goody1975 wrote:
Rovers lad at work is telling me how they have Rovers fans in their team and quite a few who've been at the club so long that it makes them Rovers fans as well. He also says a group of fans stayed behind on Saturday to see their players as they left the ground to remind them that they can't lose on Sunday.

He reckons that the majority of our team won't have a clue about the rivalry and that it will give them an advantage.
I've had similar texts off there fans that I know but I think it could well be the opposite, throwing a bunch of 18/19 year old locals in to a derby away for the first time could see them have a rush of blood to the head being too pumped up and do a bad tackle resulting in a red card(that's my hope anyway!!)

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:24 am

Home advantage will be key I feel, Rovers form on the road ain't exactly great is it, they lost at Coventry last time out for example.

Also this is a week where our older heads will have a huge part to play, the likes of Barnes, Cork, JBG, Long, Lowton, Taylor and Westwood even if they might not be on the pitch will be pivotal in the build-up.

Kompany has also experienced plenty of Manchester derbies, so he'll have the lads ready, what we don't want to do is get drawn into a scrappy affair, earn the right to play and our superior talent will shine through, we have several potential matchwinners, whereas Diaz apart Rovers are pretty ordinary.

Defend set-pieces better and we likely win handily, although TBH I'd happily settle for a narrow victory and sitting top of the table during the prolonged break.

Part of me will ne glad once this fixture is out of the way because there is a risk of it proving a distraction, win it then we can crack on with the rest of the season, and continue our recent impressive record against them.

The 8 day rest is also welcomer as we looked shattered at BL 2nd half, so I don't expect anyone who's playing on Sunday to start against Crawley, at least I sincerely hope not.

Plus the return of Brownhill and Jay makes us much stronger, and could well be the difference ultimately.

Blatherwickstattoo
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by Blatherwickstattoo » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:30 am

Hoping it’s a good birthday for me and my 2 year old son (share the same birthday on the 13th) cannot imagine losing and having the day ruined. We will batter them UTC

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:34 am

Believe me this is a Derby match and form goes out of the window , I just hope that they can match our fan's believe and give everything that's all we ask . UTC 👍

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6966 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:44 pm

Has there been an injury update on Rodriguez, do we know that he will be available for Sunday?

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:46 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:44 pm
Has there been an injury update on Rodriguez, do we know that he will be available for Sunday?
Yes. He’s available. If the Sheffield game had been a couple of days later he would have played.
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:48 pm

Ambivalent as I won't be there nor watching on Sky. I have a pre-booked Annual event in Blackpool.

Hope we do the business on the pitch and nowhere else gets a mention.

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:13 pm

Goody1975 wrote:

I'm sure The Big Bin has been well briefed and he in turn will brief the youngsters. If they don't know yet, they will know when they are on the pitch. Just praying we don't have a shocker like we did last Sunday.

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:19 pm

Cabbage wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:59 pm
I feel absolutely awful. IMO last Saturday’s result had been coming for a while. I hope this doesn’t prove to be our Achilles heel and the thought of Blackburn exposing us as well makes me feel sick. I hope we’ve learnt our lesson. I’ve tried to think it just another game and not important not defining our season. However, if we lose I’ll be gutted. I don’t hate Blackburn Rovers I just don’t like Blackburn. I think it goes back to my childhood being dragged round British Home Stores there. And they can’t say “fairy”. They always say “furry”.
And they can't say bus, they have to say buz. Let's hope it's just as well it happened last week. Worryingly, Rovers have a similar playing style to Sheff United, but I'm sure our camp have analysed that game thoroughly and know 100% what's got to change and what works well.

I'm terrified :(
This user liked this post: DavidEyresLeftFoot

OrientMascot
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by OrientMascot » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:42 am

The tables have turned, basta*d fans at work are more concerned about us than they are about themselves. We’re better than them and have been for a decade.
VK will do us proud.

SydneyClaret
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by SydneyClaret » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:50 am

No reason whatsoever that we shouldn’t win this game. At home and capable of beating anyone in the division.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2701 times

Post by fatboy47 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:45 am

Great game on the way. Plenty of goals and hard to predict who'll get them.

Our centre- mid and wings have a clear edge... Blackburns back 5 looks stronger than ours..keeper in particular. Brereton is the pick of the strikers....just.

Points-wise there's nothing to choose between us, and Rovers are where they are through merit. They know how to win games...and the manager seems fairly pragmatic in his set-ups.

They need to score first to win...theyre abysmal once behind in a game. If we concede early it won't be the end of the world. We'll play the more attractive football and we'll dominate possession, but any howlers at the back will be punished. Containing Brereton may be the key, along with limiting their set piece opportunities.

Hard to call...but I'm going for a narrow Rovers win, but feel we will still finish the season above them.
I won't get carried away by the hype... I'll just go for a long walk on Sunday lunchtime... If we win I'll watch it back with a glass or two of malt... If we don't i'll get over it.

Yearofthefox
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Yearofthefox » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:34 am

I think most Rovers fans i see post on social media are too overly confident against playing us.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:32 am

Form means nothing in these games , but 2 top teams ,I’d expect goals and an exciting match . Such a shame these have Sun morn KO’s as it’s a killer for atmosphere .

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3349 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:44 am

We desperately need 3 points to remain top of the league over the enforced break and to ensure last Saturday is firmly put out of everybody's minds, including players, coaches and fans and firmly consigned to the "blip" bin. Who we're actually playing HAS to be largely irrelevant.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:59 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:44 am
We desperately need 3 points to remain top of the league over the enforced break...
A point will do now, thank you Rotherham.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:50 pm

What slightly concerns me is that VK doesn't seem too bothered about the threat the opposition poses. Until last Saturday we got away with it, but on Saturday it appeared that Sheffield United had studied our play and how to deal with it, but not the other way round. They offered no surprises and yet we didn't deal with it. Rovers are second, just 2 points behind us, they command respect, and will offer a significant threat, certain players will be a danger, I hope VK is aware of that and has plans to deal with it. I'm sure that Rovers have had us watched, I think I saw that at home to Reading, and will have plans in place to stop us playing.
This user liked this post: summitclaret

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10260 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:58 pm

If Sheff Utd had studied our play, it didn't show until that fifteen minute period of mayhem.
We had chances in the first half to kill the game.
Admittedly, the Blades had a half time rethink and got it right but until then, we were looking OK.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1149 times

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:17 pm

The lucky ones on here who have tickets for the game can be our 12th man. You guys need to make the opposition feel very uncomfortable and create that special atmosphere that only Turf Moor has. Wish I was there UTC
These 3 users liked this post: Leisure NewClaret Cubanforever

Leisure
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 12499 times

Post by Leisure » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:29 pm

gtclaret wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:50 pm
What slightly concerns me is that VK doesn't seem too bothered about the threat the opposition poses. Until last Saturday we got away with it, but on Saturday it appeared that Sheffield United had studied our play and how to deal with it, but not the other way round.
They didn't deal with it in the 1st half.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:41 pm

gtclaret wrote:
What slightly concerns me is that VK doesn't seem too bothered about the threat the opposition poses. Until last Saturday we got away with it, but on Saturday it appeared that Sheffield United had studied our play and how to deal with it, but not the other way round. They offered no surprises and yet we didn't deal with it. Rovers are second, just 2 points behind us, they command respect, and will offer a significant threat, certain players will be a danger, I hope VK is aware of that and has plans to deal with it. I'm sure that Rovers have had us watched, I think I saw that at home to Reading, and will have plans in place to stop us playing.
This is a really interesting point.

Isn’t this the exciting part of our new style? That we worry less about the threats the opposition pose and focus on how we cause them problems?

I imagine in previous seasons under Dyche our players were schooled on every player, how to contain them, how to play as a unit to keep them at bay, etc and that seems to be engrained in fans mindsets too.

I say this because I’m just not sure you can play our system whilst worrying about individual threats? It’s contingent on us keeping the ball and therefore not allowing them chance to score. Or limiting the chances. With our full backs pushed right up and the high line we play, I think we’re always going to risk conceding. What we need to do is be a lot more clinical in possession.

Our problems come when teams don’t let us keep possession very easily or we don’t score (enough) with the chances we do create.

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4036 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:55 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:45 am
Great game on the way. Plenty of goals and hard to predict who'll get them.

Our centre- mid and wings have a clear edge... Blackburns back 5 looks stronger than ours..keeper in particular. Brereton is the pick of the strikers....just.

Points-wise there's nothing to choose between us, and Rovers are where they are through merit. They know how to win games...and the manager seems fairly pragmatic in his set-ups.

They need to score first to win...theyre abysmal once behind in a game. If we concede early it won't be the end of the world. We'll play the more attractive football and we'll dominate possession, but any howlers at the back will be punished. Containing Brereton may be the key, along with limiting their set piece opportunities.

Hard to call...but I'm going for a narrow Rovers win, but feel we will still finish the season above them.
I won't get carried away by the hype... I'll just go for a long walk on Sunday lunchtime... If we win I'll watch it back with a glass or two of malt... If we don't i'll get over it.
Got to disagree FB. I have watched them 4 times this season on tv and each time they have looked awful. Reading away, got smashed. Wigan away, quite a hot derby but Wigan aren't clever and it was at very best 55/45 in Wigans favour. Sunderland at home they never deserved to win that, Sunderland had a stone wall penalty turned down before rovers score and the second was a mile offside. Not there on merit, and not better than us. Rovers fans who i know said both hudders and birmingham should have beaten them at ewood. Had a boat load of luck. The boat has sank.

Deal with Brereton, we will win.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:09 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:58 pm
If Sheff Utd had studied our play, it didn't show until that fifteen minute period of mayhem.
We had chances in the first half to kill the game.
Admittedly, the Blades had a half time rethink and got it right but until then, we were looking OK.
What about their first goal and the one THB cleared off the line just before half time?

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Post by Pickles » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:20 pm

Thoughts about the game from both sides of the divide in the world's only and therefore best podcast dedicated to all things East Lancashire Derby. Episode two of El Lanclasico podcast is out now. Spotify, Apple and others. Another episode coming this week where we speak with a player who's played for both Burnley and R*vers.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:42 pm

gtclaret wrote:
Maybe Kompany prefers the opposition to worry about the threat we pose, rather than concern himself in countering what they can offer.

This strategy hasn't worked out too shabbily over his first 20 games has it.

If it is a football match on Sunday Burnley will win, what we don't won't to do is get drawn into a scrappy affair as that will suit Rovers down to the ground.

They should command our respect, but we certainly shouldn't fear them given they've tasted defeat 8 times already this season.
This user liked this post: KateR

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:44 pm

Naturally nervous, but excited.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:07 am

Quite a sporting Sunday awaits, England in 2 WC finals, the women in the rugby union against New Zealand, then England's men cricketers taking on Pakistan in the T20 WC final.

Oh! and the small matter of an East Lancs derby to follow at lunchtime.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:14 pm

Looking at these stats, it seems like they favour shots from distance and don't really press too much (which should suit us)

https://twitter.com/BtoBAnalytics/statu ... 08/photo/1

Blackburn have also lost 6 out of 10 away games

KateR
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:47 pm

nervous excitement, as of from today only as I feel it building, but quietly confident we won't lose, forecasting Rovers first draw of the season.

At least one sending off and two penalties, with other clear penalty decisions missed, it will be a scrap with very little flowing football leading to goals. Feel our way of playing out from the back will be targeted, as will the long GK ball over the top for their forwards to exploit, both of which are suspect at times, will show how much we've learnt so far.

I'll be up early and they know I won't be running around for the usual Sunday breakfast orders :) Never know might go out for a nice lunch, depending on the result, love to be there though, main thing is we put in a performance, I'd love the bragging rights even though I don't know any Rovers fans, :lol:

Hopey
Been Liked: 213 times
Has Liked: 156 times

Post by Hopey » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:48 pm

England will walk the world cup.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:45 am

Up at 6 for the womens rugby WCFinal. Then just read the T20 WC Final could be rained off and trophy shared. Grab an hour before the mighty Clarets sort the horsefiddlers out. I’ll sleep well Sunday night.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:50 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:45 am
Up at 6 for the womens rugby WCFinal. Then just read the T20 WC Final could be rained off and trophy shared. Grab an hour before the mighty Clarets sort the horsefiddlers out. I’ll sleep well Sunday night.
The T20 will play to a finish as in the event of rain they have had the sense to allocate the Monday as an additional day.

1882Clarets1882
Been Liked: 198 times

Post by 1882Clarets1882 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:58 am

If they watch a video of the Sheffield United game and lob balls into our box at every opportunity and Muric doesn't command his box again and bully us. Then not good. Got a bad feeling and I really hope I'm wrong. Hope last week is a kick up the arse.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:54 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:09 pm
What about their first goal and the one THB cleared off the line just before half time?
And the constant problems they caused from corners and throw ins. Our 2 goals were individual errors. We were far from safe at HT as any posters were pointing out. To say we were in any way comfortable at HT is ridiculous

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:58 pm

Turns out all our pre-match worries were misplaced. mind you I don't think many expected Rovers to be so poor.

Rotherham give us a much tougher game because they actually had a go, all Rovers were content to offer was a massed defence.

They had 1 shot on target though which was an improvement from when we met at Ewood in the LC.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:24 pm

1882Clarets1882 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:58 am
If they watch a video of the Sheffield United game and lob balls into our box at every opportunity and Muric doesn't command his box again and bully us. Then not good. Got a bad feeling and I really hope I'm wrong. Hope last week is a kick up the arse.
They watched it and then - well - ignored it..

1882Clarets1882
Been Liked: 198 times

Post by 1882Clarets1882 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:57 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:24 pm
They watched it and then - well - ignored it..
Nice one !

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2941 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:51 am

Pretty damned chipper to be honest.