watch the football, and shut out the excrement.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

watch the football, and shut out the excrement.

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:32 am

far too many dreadful pundits, richards, neville, keane, murphy, shearer, scott, and anyone asociated with talksport. they even push that jordan ex chairman and souness on us.
the tournament is like a festival of the thick due to these bacteria.
the football is looking half decent fortunately, but the pigswill we all have to endure via this pipeline of **** is too much.
These 4 users liked this post: California Colner fatboy47 aclaretinstevenage bernielee

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Re: watch the football, and shut out the excrement.

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:26 am

Agreed.

The World Cup has been excellent.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:28 am

With the timings of the games, its hard to watch more than the evening ones if you work

So I've got Radio Five on and they are doing their usual excellent job

And the games that I manage to watch, the punditry doesn't seem to bother me, though I think the BBC have the edge on ITV with the commentators and summarisers

All about opinions though!

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 791 times
Has Liked: 1016 times

Post by Guller Bull » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:51 am

I've got to be honest, I've enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Purely from a football and accessibility point of view and filtering out all the background noise.

We work a lot from home so I realise that we are fortunate in being able to dip in and out of games this last week. Probably wont be saying that when the later play off games are on at the weekend and I am out at events.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 519 times

Post by beddie » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:00 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:32 am
far too many dreadful pundits, richards, neville, keane, murphy, shearer, scott, and anyone asociated with talksport. they even push that jordan ex chairman and souness on us.
the tournament is like a festival of the thick due to these bacteria.
the football is looking half decent fortunately, but the pigswill we all have to endure via this pipeline of **** is too much.
Presumably you’re including Kompany in that? :( Just to add, I don’t agree, I find many of them knowledgable and interesting to listen to.
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie The Hung Juror Greenmile

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:05 am

People have an unhealthy obsession with commentators and studio guests. Chill out and stop getting so wound up.
These 3 users liked this post: Guller Bull tiger76 superdimitri

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1410 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:08 am

beddie wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:00 am
Presumably you’re including Kompany in that...
Every rule needs an exception to prove it

With any match I rarely turn it on until the anthems are half over, half time is for coffee, food and maybe a glance at whatever I ought to be doing instead of watching football and unless there's a replay I would like to see, the TV goes off within moments of the final whistle.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:17 am

None of the Qatar Ecuador, Senegal Holland, Denmark Tunisia, Mexico Poland, Morocco Croatia and Belgium Canada games were anything but s**t. That is probably somewhere near half the number of games that have taken place so far. Too say it has been anything but average is nonsense.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 537 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:24 am

There was an excellent discussion about the differences between club and International football hosted by Gary Lineker with Rio Ferdinand, Alex Scott and Big Vince. All four provided interesting insights, were articulate and speak from vast experience of working with the likes of Alex Ferguson, Guardiola in Vinnys case and Lineker worked with Cruyff.

That said they were all speaking from their perspective as players and only Vincent has any management experience. It would be interesting to hear what some successful international managers would have to say.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:30 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:17 am
None of the Qatar Ecuador, Senegal Holland, Denmark Tunisia, Mexico Poland, Morocco Croatia and Belgium Canada games were anything but s**t. That is probably somewhere near half the number of games that have taken place so far. Too say it has been anything but average is nonsense.
I enjoyed the Morocco, Belgium and Senegal game. They were entertaining games to watch IMO. Especially that Belgium game thought that was a great watch.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:34 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:30 am
I enjoyed the Morocco, Belgium and Senegal game. They were entertaining games to watch IMO. Especially that Belgium game thought that was a great watch.
They were dull. Canada were good for 20 minutes, Belgium were never good.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2624 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:02 am

claret2018 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:05 am
People have an unhealthy obsession with commentators and studio guests. Chill out and stop getting so wound up.
Same. Can't say it ever bothers me, it's just background noise to the game. Unless Ally McCoist is on, I might turn it up for him, he's great.
This user liked this post: Stayingup

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2008 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:03 am

I only watch the football all the time. When professionals are arguing about incidents they are no better than the guy in the pub.
Still only watching England & Wales matches, recording Morocco and I’ll view if Anass gets on.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3793 times
Has Liked: 12492 times

Post by Leisure » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:06 am

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:08 am

With any match I rarely turn it on until the anthems are half over, half time is for coffee, food and maybe a glance at whatever I ought to be doing instead of watching football and unless there's a replay I would like to see, the TV goes off within moments of the final whistle.
Snap.
This user liked this post: Boss Hogg

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:13 am

Anyone who watches the pundits has far too much time on their hands , I only ever turn on mins before KO and immediately after any celebrations. The commentary has been ok , though 5 live had a female joint commentator on an early WC ( London twang /black ) who was so awful it almost defied belief . Female voices and actual live football commentary just don’t commute properly . Fine in many sports but not football .

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:20 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:34 am
They were dull. Canada were good for 20 minutes, Belgium were never good.
I think I like the under dog element. Enjoyed the fact Canada pushed Belgium

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:22 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:30 am
I've seen snippets of some games - Wales I got bored after twenty minutes so moved on - but I watched the whole of the Belgium - Canada match. Like many I was very impressed with Canada. The way their players were able to adjust themselves to play the ball accurately from all sorts of awkward situations and put together a string of passes I didn't think were possible was excellent. Unfortunately they failed to do what is the most necessary in football - defend well and put away your chances. They were terrible in front of goal except for a couple of second half headers.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8517 times
Has Liked: 18259 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:24 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:20 am
I think I like the under dog element. Enjoyed the fact Canada pushed Belgium
I think I enjoyed the Japanese victory more ...

Whats the German for Schadenfreude 🤔

😉😉😉
This user liked this post: Stayingup

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:24 am

Love the pundits, hilarious watching Keane and Souness going at each other at 11am the other day. Great watching our manager the past few days too. Alex Scott is also excellent with her analysis and better than most of the men. Do they have a specific show for the pundits?

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2219 times
Has Liked: 2210 times

Post by fidelcastro » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:39 am

RVclaret wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:24 am
Love the pundits, hilarious watching Keane and Souness going at each other at 11am the other day. Great watching our manager the past few days too. Alex Scott is also excellent with her analysis and better than most of the men. Do they have a specific show for the pundits?
The MOTD top ten discussions can be interesting, if you can put up with Richards laughing at just about anything.

As for the OP, it just sounds like another one of his drunken rants.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:08 am

I have only watched a few games, but generally I take the opportunity at HT to make a brew or nip to the loo.

So I rarely see what the pundits are discussing, I was lucky enough to catch that Keane/Souness spat the other day thought that was a bit spicy,

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:15 am

I actually think the punditry has been, on the whole, really good. You may not agree with Gary Neville, for example, on some things, but it's nonsense to say he isn't a knowledgeable pundit.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:20 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:15 am
I actually think the punditry has been, on the whole, really good. You may not agree with Gary Neville, for example, on some things, but it's nonsense to say he isn't a knowledgeable pundit.
Yep Neville is very good. Him and Carragher (in the PL) provide great insights.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:22 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:15 am
We live in the age of where experts don't know as much as your average bloke with a facebook account

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by CaptainKirk » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:30 am

I think we can agree the OP is just doing what he/she normally does to attract attention. Look at me! Look at me!!
If you work for a living I am not sure how you have managed to catch much of the live stuff anyway. Must be a lot of WFH wasters on here.
I make do with the highlights at night and skip the punditry usually. It seems to be coming on later and later though.
When I do catch the pundits, they seem like a well qualified bunch with some good points. Richards is obviously just there for comedy value.
It's coming home!!!!

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 791 times
Has Liked: 1016 times

Post by Guller Bull » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:27 pm

Loyal Supporter
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Loyal Supporter » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:48 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:13 am
Anyone who watches the pundits has far too much time on their hands , I only ever turn on mins before KO and immediately after any celebrations. The commentary has been ok , though 5 live had a female joint commentator on an early WC ( London twang /black ) who was so awful it almost defied belief . Female voices and actual live football commentary just don’t commute properly . Fine in many sports but not football .
Up the Clarets bingo has a winner but not quite a full house. Some of the female commentary and punditry has been excellent. Shame for you that some of them are also black. What are your thoughts on the female assistant referees and 4th officials? End of the world?
This user liked this post: Bosscat

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10248 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:01 pm

:lol:

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:57 pm

Loyal Supporter wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:48 pm
Up the Clarets bingo has a winner but not quite a full house. Some of the female commentary and punditry has been excellent. Shame for you that some of them are also black. What are your thoughts on the female assistant referees and 4th officials? End of the world?
What on earth have female officials got do with female commentary/punditry? There really is no correlation whatsoever.

As for the R5live commentator who I thought was beyond awful, the stating of “ London twang /black “ was referring to the accent, or perhaps you think “female London black British enunciation” is perfect for football ? Yet you didn’t have the respect to discuss the point .

If you’re unable to tolerate a general viewpoint around male /female sports commentary without trotting our tired agenda driven cliches , then perhaps you should spend more time on Twitter, where you can repeatedly pleasure yourself with your views .

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:01 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:57 pm
What on earth have female officials got do with female commentary/punditry? There really is no correlation whatsoever.

As for the R5live commentator who I thought was beyond awful, the stating of “ London twang /black “ was referring to the accent, or perhaps you think “female London black British enunciation” is perfect for football ? Yet you didn’t have the respect to discuss the point .

If you’re unable to tolerate a general viewpoint around male /female sports commentary without trotting our tired agenda driven cliches , then perhaps you should spend more time on Twitter, where you can repeatedly pleasure yourself with your views .
What on earth has gender got do with female commentary/punditry? There really is no correlation whatsoever.

Loyal Supporter
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Loyal Supporter » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:12 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:57 pm

Been on the lash?

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:33 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:24 am
I agree, I like some of the pundits, I don't quite understand the issue posters on here have with the likes of Lineker, Neville, Keane etc.

Seems like an alcohol/drug fuelled rage of jealousy. I like listening to different pundits for different reasons, I think Kompany/Neville/Murphy offer great insight, Keane/Souness for a bit of a whinge/humour. I don't think Wright/Richards are the smartest in the room but do very good broadcasting jobs alongside the level headed Lineker.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10248 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:29 pm

I've just watched the Senegal /Iran game and Ferdinand, Drogba and Scott were excellent.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1297 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:29 pm

I enjoyed the Souness - Keane Punch and Judy bitching competition but most of it is pump water.